PDA

View Full Version : How Hard Drives work

Seshmeister
06-10-2011, 05:15 AM

ashstralia
06-10-2011, 06:16 AM
thanks, sesh; very interesting. i had a rough idea about the magnetic encryption, but that was an excellent easy to understand explanation.

Nitro Express
06-10-2011, 06:25 AM
My first job with Hewlett-Packard was in the disk memory division that made hard disk drives. The division manager thought we could make hard drives in the US and still be competitive but everything eventually got outsourced to Malaysia. My job was to track inventory and I remember it was over a million dollars of disk drives on a fully loaded 18 wheeler when it left the dock.

The biggest quality control problem was stack failures. It always amazed me those stacks are as reliable as they are because it doesn't take much to throw them out of calibration.

Diamondjimi
06-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Fascinating video Sesh. Cheers!É

What I find even more remarkable i.... Is there anything that Nitro hasn,t done...... :biggrin:

Anonymous
06-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Nitro went to the moon in the fifties to see if it was safe for anyone else to go there.

Turns out it wasn't, so they came up with the studio idea.

Nitro was a cameraman, set decorator, stunt double, set security, coffee maker & a prop rock, among many, many other things.

Cheers! :bottle:

chefcraig
06-13-2011, 11:12 AM
What I find even more remarkable i.... Is there anything that Nitro hasn,t done...... :biggrin:

Nitro went to the moon in the fifties to see if it was safe for anyone else to go there.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/47/85f5ee7b9c6f6bf29da7628db0103d9a.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/)

Anonymous
06-13-2011, 11:26 AM
C'mon Chef... you really believe anyone else here is old enuff to remember Honeymooners?

Explain that joke to us, please. We're al too young to get it.

PETE'S BROTHER
06-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Turns out it wasn't, so they came up with the studio idea.

Nitro was a cameraman, set decorator, stunt double, set security, coffee maker & a prop rock, among many, many other things.

dan loves pop rocks