PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun shack redux: mortgage-free in 320 square feet

Diamondjimi
06-11-2011, 02:37 AM
Two years ago, Debra and her family lived in a nearly 2000 square foot home on an acre and a half of land. Then her husband lost his job and they began to work 4 jobs between them to pay the mortgage, until one day they remembered they had a choice.
Before having their son, Debra and her husband Gary had spent 9 years living in very tiny homes in South America. Living small hadn't felt like a sacrifice, but a way to stay focused on what is important. They decided they wanted to get back to that.
They stopped working so hard, sold or gave away all of their extra stuff and began looking for the perfect tiny home.
Debra had always liked the Mississippi shotgun style homes, and one day, while browsing craigslist, they noticed an ad for a local Arkansas company custom building tiny homes for a price that could mean an end to house payments.
Six weeks and $15,000 later they had their own fully paid-off dwelling. Today, Debra, her husband and 13-year-old son live in a 320-square foot home that is not a sacrifice, but exactly what they need.

sadaist
06-11-2011, 02:55 AM
Not very different from a studio apartment. In my current life being divorced and not having kids, nor really entertaining guests and having large keg parties like I did in my youth, I don't need much space. Bed, TV, computer desk & chair, shower & toilet. I usually use my computer desk in front of the TV as my dining table anyways. Whats the point of having an actual table with 4-6 chairs when I never use them? Sure it looks good next to the kitchen, but seriously? All I would really need is an outdoor space to set up a chair or bench and a BBQ. A place to park the truck and go out and change the oil on a Saturday.

Ex & I had a huge 2 story home that we bought. Was before the housing boom and it was just the natural thing we were supposed to do. Had a family room for the TV, a living room to open Christmas presents in, a dining room to host Thanksgiving dinner, and 2 extra bedroom to serve as fully furnished guest rooms when a friend or relative would stay for a short stint.

Ridiculous the size of quarters we feel we need. Hell, I've entertained thoughts of cruise ship work. They pay room & board. I wouldn't need to pay all the damn utilities and have all the stuff. The only thing keeping me from doing anything like that now is my dog. But once he goes someday, I will truly be free to do something like that & save up a ton of cash for a couple years.

Maybe enough for a small shack on some Wyoming lake. Yeah, that's key. Tired of living in oversized places in crowded cities.

sadaist
06-11-2011, 05:38 AM
The house in this video is a bit small for 3 people. Especially kinda feel sorry for the boy. Living in such tight quarters and home schooling. When does he ever get out? Seems he is confined too much for my tastes. But this small house is perfect for 1 guy. Only issue is once a single guy starts living this way, the comparison coming is inevitable.....

http://www.mugshots.org/criminals/unabomber.gif

Diamondjimi
06-11-2011, 01:25 PM
:lol:

To me this house would make the ultimate ice fishing hut. Tow the bastard out to middle of the lake, chainsaw a hole in the middle of the living room floor and get fishin! :biggrin:

VAiN
06-11-2011, 02:41 PM
320 sq feet for 3 humans is nuts. It's like camping, but you can never go home. I have what I consider to be a small place, just under 1000 sq. ft., it's a 2-2 condo and works for a single guy.

Diamondjimi
06-11-2011, 05:01 PM
I have what I consider to be a small place, just under 1000 sq. ft., it's a 2-2 condo and works for a single guy.

Perfect.

My place (post divorce) was 900sq. ft. Was a perfect size.

Romeo Delight
06-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Poor kid must cook in the summer up there in the roof! A bedroom you can't stand up in, lol. What about a crawl space? That could be the rec room!!

Diamondjimi
06-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Poor kid must cook in the summer up there in the roof! A bedroom you can't stand up in, lol. What about a crawl space? That could be the rec room!!

How about the poor kid having to put up with the folks bumpin uglies right below... :sex:

Nitro Express
06-12-2011, 04:26 AM
Big homes are like exotic cars. Everyone seems to want one until they get one and find out it's not as great as the fantasy was. You basically become the manager of a lot of headaches and you will have zero free time if you try and maintain and clean everything yourself. So you are going to have to hire people and then you learn the backbiting world of people trying to hire good house help that won't rip them off and cause trouble. Remember these are people you have to trust with your home.

My advice is buy a nice piece of land and put a yurt or two on it.:biggrin: