PDA

View Full Version : ZZ Top Live In Germany 1980 Rockpalast DVD

tojoro
06-11-2011, 09:41 AM
I didn't see a thread on this one, but felt it was definitely worth a mention...
I wound up grabbing this the other day when I picked up Let There Be Rock, as it was on sale as well.
This is a performance from Grughalle in Essen, six months befor El Loco was released.
I guess it was released on the Double Down DVD in 09 with a more recent concert, then it got it's own seperate release last year.
Excellent show all around, in terms of the quality of sound, the footage, setlist and of course, the performance.
This is exactly the era I would want from these gents: before the synths became incorporated and they became the darlings of MTV.
If you dig these guys, you'd be doing yourself a favor adding this one to your library. amazon has it for twelve bucks!

Track listing:

1. I Thank You
2. Waitin' For The Bus
3. Jesus Just Left Chicago
4. Precious And Grace
5. I'm Bad I'm Nationwide
6. Manic Mechanic
7. Lowdown In The Street
8. Heard It On The X
9. Fool For Your Stockings
10. Nasty Dogs & Funky King
11. El Diablo
12. Cheap Sunglasses
13. Arrested For Driving While Blind
14. Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers
15. La Grange
16. She Loves My Automobile
17. Hi Fi Mama
18. Dust My Broom
19. Jailhouse Rock
20. Tush

Amazon's version lists the above, my copy also has:
21. Tube Snake Boogie (different lyrics)
22. Just Got Paid
A total of 93 minutes run time.

In 06 Tres Hombres and Fandango got the remastered/expanded treatment, and of course, Eliminator followed shortly after in '08. Though it's been three years, I'm hoping they continue to do so with the rest of the early catalog.

chefcraig
06-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm not exactly sure of the licensing deals for these shows, yet literally dozens of them have shown up over the past two years via Comcast Cable's "On Demand" series. The performances are generally very good, but the camera work can be either inspired or insipid, as there is little middle ground. You are either right up in the performer's face, or are somewhere out in the boonies at the back of the show.

There are some good showings by Thin Lizzy, The Who, U2, Rory Gallagher (as good as and in some places better than the 1979 Montreux show recorded around the same time) along with a huge list of lesser artists. In fact, this is one of the few reasons to still have basic cable.

FORD
06-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Rockpalast shows have been bootlegged for years (both audio and video) though the quality isn't always the best, so it's good to see some of them finally get a legit release. I've had the audio part of this ZZ Top show for a while, but I haven't seen the video, so I'll be looking for this......

ODShowtime
06-12-2011, 08:44 AM
This is a top notch ZZ-Top show, pretty much the best boot available from their career. Man I wish they'd release the whole Fandango! show.