PDA

View Full Version : Lou Reed/Metallica: Yep, It's Friggin' Ghastly

Diamondjimi
06-15-2011, 11:59 PM
They've made an album with LOU REED!!!! :turninggay:

METALLICA's Secret Recording Project Revealed - June 15, 2011
METALLICA's official web site has been updated with the following message:

"A few months ago our own Kirk Hammett hinted at a new METALLICA project that's 'not really 100 percent a METALLICA record.' While Kirk may have jumped the gun a little (and has since been properly punished with a series of push-ups!), we are more than proud to announce that we have just completed recording a full-length album that is a collaboration with none other than the legendary Lou Reed.

"Ever since we had the pleasure of performing with Lou at the 25th anniversary of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame at Madison Square Garden in October of 2009, we have been kicking around the idea of making a record together. Some of you astute Bay Area residents may have picked up news of recent Lou Reed sightings in the greater San Francisco area and we have indeed been working at our home studio at [METALLICA headquarters in San Rafael, California] on and off over the last few months. In what would be lightning speed for a METALLICA-related project, we recorded ten songs during this time and while at this moment we're not exactly sure when you'll hear it, we're beyond excited to share with you that the recording sessions wrapped up last week.

"A true innovator and easily one of the most influential songwriters, musicians, and performers in rock music history, Lou's work with the VELVET UNDERGROUND and as a solo artist has such an enduring quality that he has long been revered and respected by us and many of our peers. We can't wait for you to listen to the finished record, so as we like to hear ourselves say around here, keep watching this spot for updates . . . we'll be back with more details as they come together."

sadaist
06-16-2011, 01:19 AM
Kirk Hammett hinted at a new METALLICA project that's 'not really 100 percent a METALLICA record.'

I bet it will 100% suck.

Hasn't been 100% since Cliff died.

I bet the store still charges us 100% of suggested retail.

I'd like to kick 100% of Lars' ass.

I bet they use 100% of the profits for more Armani shopping & cool sandals.

Maybe they can keep children & beach balls 100% off the damn stage.

Megadeth is 100% better than Metallica.

Sorry, that's 100% of the jokes I could think of right now. Although my love for Metallica bashing threads is still 100%.

:hee:

FORD
06-16-2011, 01:21 AM
I don't see anything wrong with recording with Lou Reed in and of itself. I just can't imagine Shitallica pulling it off.

VAiN
06-16-2011, 01:23 AM
This should be... Umm... Interesting?? Maybe they'll package it with their Metallica Monopoly game that's coming out...

Diamondjimi
06-16-2011, 02:20 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/Metallireed-ShitSandwich-dj-2011.jpg

binnie
06-16-2011, 04:35 AM
Well, I thought it was going to be another covers record.

This is a surprise. Kudos to them for doing it - having some fun and experimenting.

Now get on with the next album proper.

Seshmeister
06-16-2011, 06:37 AM
The only thing worse than a Metallica 'song' is when they do a cover.

binnie
06-16-2011, 06:46 AM
These aren't covers if I've understood correctly.

Lou Reed has written the songs and both he and Metallica has arranged them. It's like them being his backing band. I think Pearl Jam did a similar thing with Neil Young at some point.

Seshmeister
06-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Hopefully Lou will sing.

And play the drums.

binnie
06-16-2011, 06:55 AM
I believe that Lou is singing.

Rick Allen is playing drums. CC Deville is doing all of the solos.

chefcraig
06-16-2011, 08:16 AM
This makes little, if any sense. Lou Reed's best work has more often than not been recorded very quietly, with all of the players in the room. The music is set at an extremely low level so as to reveal the complexity of Reed's lyrical themes. Even albums like the brilliant New York (which sounds blisteringly loud) were recorded in a quiet setting, one so low in volume that the drum set had to be muffled. For him to feel a need to play with these blustery blowhards that know next to nothing about subtlety is a real head-scratcher.

Hardrock69
06-16-2011, 12:57 PM
This is fucking stupid.

I thought they reached their low point when they recorded Bob (suckass) Seger's turn the page.

Well, I would say Lou Reed has more integrity than Seger, so I do not think this is as bad as that. But it fucking sucks. Fucking idiots. What's next. Recording an album with Spamulus Flatulus?

Seshmeister
06-16-2011, 01:09 PM
All these projects do is show how fucking narrow their ability is and how they should stick to that.

Their cover of Whiskey in the Jar stripped everything good out of the song and replaced it with toilet.

binnie
06-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Their cover of Whiskey in the Jar stripped everything good out of the song and replaced it with toilet.

It did indeed. But I liked the cover of 'Turn the Page', and the Mercyful Fate covers were fucking epic. As was the cover of Skynrd's 'Tuesday's Gone'.

It's always going to be a mixed bag when you do covers though, isn't it.

However, experimenting - whether successfully or not - is a lot more admirable than knocking out the same things time and time again. AC/DC anyone? Has ANYTHING they've done since 'Flick of The Switch' held our attention?

binnie
06-16-2011, 01:51 PM
I'd kind of hoped that the 'secret project' would be with king of the 'side projects' Dave Grohl. Essentially, I would have liked them to have re-recorded the best tunes of their first four records (ripping it live from the studio floor) with Grohl on drums and called it 'Here's What We Sound like With a Drummer'.

Seshmeister
06-16-2011, 01:53 PM
I hoped it was a suicide pact... :)

binnie
06-16-2011, 01:54 PM
You've just triggered a load of Therapy? tunes to come into my head. Their 'Suicide Pact........You First' is a fantastic album.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Didn't they do a (lame) song or two at that R&R Hall of Fame anniversary show a while back ??

Unchainme
06-16-2011, 03:09 PM
I'd kind of hoped that the 'secret project' would be with king of the 'side projects' Dave Grohl. Essentially, I would have liked them to have re-recorded the best tunes of their first four records (ripping it live from the studio floor) with Grohl on drums and called it 'Here's What We Sound like With a Drummer'.

Shake Your Blood was an amazing track, and the only really listenable song on that album. I was disappointed the Grohl didn't go further with more of the old school "New Wave of British Metal Acts" and pulled more guys like Halford, Dio (alright not british, but you get the point) and Dickinson into the fold.

sadaist
06-16-2011, 04:40 PM
I thought they reached their low point when they recorded Bob (suckass) Seger's turn the page.

For me it was 'Nothing Else Matters'. I heard it the first time on the radio. I kept waiting & waiting for the heavy part to kick in like in Fade To Black, Sanitarium, or One. Sadly it never happened. That's when I knew things would never be the same.

WACF
06-16-2011, 05:24 PM
It did indeed. But I liked the cover of 'Turn the Page', and the Mercyful Fate covers were fucking epic. As was the cover of Skynrd's 'Tuesday's Gone'.

It's always going to be a mixed bag when you do covers though, isn't it.

However, experimenting - whether successfully or not - is a lot more admirable than knocking out the same things time and time again. AC/DC anyone? Has ANYTHING they've done since 'Flick of The Switch' held our attention?

I really liked thier cover of "Am I Evil" too...

binnie
06-16-2011, 05:34 PM
I think everyone would agree on that. The 'Garage' EPs are packed with great stuff, even if the cover of 'The Wait' is a little cumbersome.

Mr. Vengeance
06-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Dear Metallica,

This is a fucking stupid idea. Please stop giving your audience watered down shit to steal their $$$$.

Sincerely,
The San Francisco Symphony Orchestra

sadaist
06-16-2011, 06:43 PM
I really liked thier cover of "Am I Evil" too...

The 'Garage' EPs are packed with great stuff, even if the cover of 'The Wait' is a little cumbersome.

Agree & agree.

It was Metallica fucking around and playing heavy. They weren't trying to be too polished, perfect, layered, overdubbed or produced. They weren't trying to make a hit record or be diverse in their musical influences & tastes. Just sounded like some metal lovers drinking in their garage and cranking out some cool heavy tunes. Something all of us in our Levi jackets and Nike hightops could relate to while smoking a joint after school behind the 7-11 with our friends. This was before they all needed a group hug, shoulder to cry on, young stoner-slacker type to sue, and investment banker tucking them in at night.

Metallica was a reflection of us. They looked like our friends did. They acted like our friends did. No one owned any spandex or hairspray except for that 1 kid we all made fun of for wearing that shit to a concert. They wore the same t-shirts & jeans as us and our friends. Drank beer in mass quantities like we did. And when they played live it wasn't about them being the stars of the show. It was 5,000 metal heads listening to music and they just happened to be the 4 on stage chosen to play it that night.

Metallica wasn't a band of 4 guys. In the sea of glam hairspray makeup spiked shoulderpads 10 inch heels anything for an image look like a girl world that metal was becoming....Metallica was us. They were just like any of us on a Saturday night with friends having a drinking game to see if you could make your buddy puke or pass out so you could hit on his girlfriend.

That's the Metallica I love.....always will.

Mr. Vengeance
06-17-2011, 03:15 PM
This is fucking stupid.

For I, it was when they followed up a mellow-er but enjoyable Black Album with Load. And then when you thought it couldn't get worse, Re-Load.

WACF
06-17-2011, 03:24 PM
For I, it was when they followed up a mellow-er but enjoyable Black Album with Load. And then when you thought it couldn't get worse, Re-Load.

I always gotta chime in on this point....Load and Re-Load are really good Hard Rock albums...lot's of good songs that sound great with headphones.

Just don't think of them as Thrash....

WACF
06-17-2011, 03:26 PM
The Black album was a door opener for me...Metallica got no airplay and very little exposure where I grew up.

I fell in love with the Black album...then discovered the old Metallica....and was amazed.

chefcraig
06-17-2011, 04:09 PM

For me, it was the way they responded to Cliff Burton's death by releasing their first full length album without any bass on it, quickly followed by the "anti-video" band showing up on MTV at every conceivable opportunity to say so when the clip for "One" came out.

Mr. Vengeance
06-17-2011, 05:01 PM
I always gotta chime in on this point....Load and Re-Load are really good Hard Rock albums...lot's of good songs that sound great with headphones.

Just don't think of them as Thrash....

If people like them, that's fine. I can't listen to them.

little_dreamer
06-17-2011, 09:42 PM
AC/DC anyone? Has ANYTHING they've done since 'Flick of The Switch' held our attention?
Well said. Blow Up Your Video was, in my opinion, the sole listenable record of theirs since Back In Black.

tojoro
06-18-2011, 06:04 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159582
Seriously, man? I'm just trying to picture a bunch of aging 'bangers swilling Haffenreffers, buying up Hetfield Railroad and Ulrich Place whilst "Call of Ktulu" plays in the background.
I wouldn't be that suprised if Cliff's grave is a property to be bought and sold in the game.:(

Mr. Vengeance
06-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Well said. Blow Up Your Video was, in my opinion, the sole listenable record of theirs since Back In Black.

See, if you ask me, that's probably the one AC/DC album I never play.

Different strokes.....

sadaist
06-18-2011, 11:43 AM
I guess us old timers that have been with Metallica from the start just have to accept the fact that they are the same caliber as U2, Stones, Who, Aerosmith, Kiss, etc... The once great small band that made it big and now tours based solely on legend. They'll never be able to touch their early stuff. Metallica is just a brand name now. Way bigger than 4 guys making heavy metal. Way too many people make their livings from this machine.

I suppose the best we can hope for is any new fans end up stumbling across that classic raw early material and have their jaws drop. Which in turn forces them to seek out old Exodus, Metal Church, Megadeth, Flotsam & Jetsam, Helloween, Anthrax, Venom, Motorhead, Testament, Death Angel, Accept and all the other great early metal acts.

:killer:

Mr. Vengeance
06-18-2011, 12:05 PM
I guess us old timers that have been with Metallica from the start just have to accept the fact that they are the same caliber as U2, Stones, Who, Aerosmith, Kiss, etc... The once great small band that made it big and now tours based solely on legend. They'll never be able to touch their early stuff. Metallica is just a brand name now. Way bigger than 4 guys making heavy metal. Way too many people make their livings from this machine.

I suppose the best we can hope for is any new fans end up stumbling across that classic raw early material and have their jaws drop. Which in turn forces them to seek out old Exodus, Metal Church, Megadeth, Flotsam & Jetsam, Helloween, Anthrax, Venom, Motorhead, Testament, Death Angel, Accept and all the other great early metal acts.

:killer:

Yup. Old bands tend to live on their old output. I'm sure had the Beatles stayed together all these years, people would be saying they haven't had a decent album in 30 years, like they do with the Stones(I disagree).

You never know when an old artist will come out with something spectacular. Bob Dylan's last few albums have been the strongest stuff he did for many many moons.

Unchainme
06-18-2011, 12:43 PM
My one major annoyance with Metallica (and it's really not the band's fault)

is the constant propping them up as this end-all greatest metal band ever...when actually in my mind, I'm not sure if they're top 5. Maiden, Priest, Motorhead and hell..even Megadeth, are all better Metal bands in my eyes, and don't get near enough the praise that Metallica has received, whether it's by MTV specials or Radio Airplay.

sadaist
06-18-2011, 01:10 PM

is the constant propping them up as this end-all greatest metal band ever...when actually in my mind, I'm not sure if they're top 5. Maiden, Priest, Motorhead and hell..even Megadeth, are all better Metal bands in my eyes, and don't get near enough the praise that Metallica has received, whether it's by MTV specials or Radio Airplay.

Agree. But for some reason back in the mid-late 80's, Metallica were the chosen ones to be the most popular. Look at grunge. Nirvana is hardly the best band from that genre, yet are by far the face of it. I guess if you wanna look at it another way, Metallica have handled the pressure of being the face of it and championed it fairly well over the last 2 decades. Still selling out stadiums world wide and not blowing themselves out on heroin. Stayed together for the most part without losing an original member.

And yes, Megadeth is better. :hee:

binnie
06-18-2011, 07:03 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159582
Seriously, man? I'm just trying to picture a bunch of aging 'bangers swilling Haffenreffers, buying up Hetfield Railroad and Ulrich Place whilst "Call of Ktulu" plays in the background.
I wouldn't be that suprised if Cliff's grave is a property to be bought and sold in the game.:(

Ac/DC have one coming too. It seems to be a new gimmick from Monopoly.

binnie
06-18-2011, 07:05 PM
And yes, Megadeth is better. :hee:

Huge Megadeth fan. But even Dave Mustaine doesn't believe that.

Seshmeister
06-19-2011, 06:10 AM

I don't think that they are in the top 5 metal bands whose name starts with 'M' but album sales makes them the greatest ever by a mile.

binnie
06-19-2011, 06:23 AM
Influence on the shape of metal - and the way it sounds - since the mid '80s puts them in the 'greatest' category.

Seshmeister
06-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Yeah it's got worse. :)

binnie
06-19-2011, 03:36 PM
I walked into that one. :D

I'd actually say that modern metal is in a healthy state. Its never been more imaginative, powerful and cathartic than it is right now.

That being said, its probably not as much 'fun' as it used to be - but it depends what you want from music, I guess.

sadaist
06-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Huge Megadeth fan. But even Dave Mustaine doesn't believe that.

Yeah, but Mustaine isn't the one buying his albums & concert tickets. :)

binnie
06-19-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm hoping that the new Megadeth album - the first to feature Jr in 10 years - will be as good as 'United Abominations' and 'Endgame'. They were damn fine records.

Unchainme
06-19-2011, 04:04 PM
I walked into that one. :D

I'd actually say that modern metal is in a healthy state. Its never been more imaginative, powerful and cathartic than it is right now.

That being said, its probably not as much 'fun' as it used to be - but it depends what you want from music, I guess.

really depends.

Metal/Hard Rock the stuff that gets airplay on the local station is generally a joke. Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, Papa Roach, Seether, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown. All sound the same, and having the same whiny subject matter. There's no balls to any of these guys, and the talent is non-existant.

You can argue that underground non-mainstream stuff is good right now, but then again, for a guy like me. When I'm listening to a song, I want the guy to actually be singing, not growling and doing a cookie monster impression.

binnie
06-19-2011, 07:10 PM
It's certainly true that most stuff on the radio is crap. But it's pretty much always been that way. I think Avenged Sevenfold are a good band, however - can't say that they sound much like Seether or Shinedown, given that most of their songs are multi-part 8 minutes long and full of old school metal.

Cookie monsters are certainly the way of the world at the moment. It works for the best bands, but its also the easiest way to make a band sound generic. When done properly, however, it is incredibly powerful and generally fits the subject matter - when you're angry you scream, y'know? At its best, extreme metal deals with the problems of being human, the dark side of being human, and all that it means to struggle. A bit like the best cinema, the best novels or art.

At the moment, though there is some great, great stuff coming out. Just in the progressive end of metal we've got Mastodon, Goijira, Baronness, Opeth..........I could go on and on and on (but I'll spare you :D). It's certainly the case that we are short on truly great bands who make music which celebrates being alive - the 'hey, let's have party' hard rock/metal - but that's not to say its whiny.

Seshmeister
06-19-2011, 08:07 PM
I never have or ever will willingly listen to a band with 'cookie monster' vocals.

Pointless annoying fucking racket. If they can't or won't write vocal melodies then they should just do instrumentals rather than making that noise insult to the mentally ill.

That's just my opinion though. :)

chefcraig
06-19-2011, 08:19 PM
I never have or ever will willingly listen to a band with 'cookie monster' vocals.

Pointless annoying fucking racket. If they can't or won't write vocal melodies then they should just do instrumentals...

I can't take any of that crap seriously: "Oh dear, the sound of evil incarnate." Whenever I hear it, it not only makes me laugh for the reasons you mentioned above, but it also reminds me of the noise Charlie Brown's teacher always made when singling him out in front of the class.

binnie
06-20-2011, 04:28 AM

Pointless annoying fucking racket. If they can't or won't write vocal melodies then they should just do instrumentals rather than making that noise insult to the mentally ill.

That's just my opinion though. :)

Listen to Opeth and then come back and tell me that they're not proficient musicians.

I once made the mistake of taking my dad to an art gallery. Whilst looking at some of Jackson Pollock's work, he turned to me and said: 'if you can't paint a nice picture, why fucking bother?' I tried to explain to him that this work wasn't about form, and was all the more powerful for it - it was about expressing emotion in a raw, unprocessed manner (i.e. like emotions happen). Cookie monsters do the same: if you are genuinely furious, angst ridden or desperate, perhaps a pretty, nicely formulated vocal melody won't express that quite as well as just a barking that shit out. Pantera's Suicide Note parts 1 & 2 is a goog example of a guy (Phil Anselmo) who knows when to sing, and when not to.

Seshmeister
06-20-2011, 06:16 AM
I'm now getting compared to your dad? :D

If they are that angry and upset they should go and do something they enjoy instead.

It spoils what music there is in thrash metal(which is usually very very predictable) in any case. To go with the Pollock analogy it's more like looking at a mediocre attempt at a landscape painting which someone has then taken a cat turd and wiped over half of it, angrily. It's art in the same way a picture of a monster drawn on an exercise book by an angst ridden 15 year old D&D fan is art.

And as for the lyrics...

sadaist
06-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Cookie monster vocals take away & distract from otherwise great music in the background. I hear some really great metal but just can't listen to it because of the damned deep screaming ruining it. I've only heard a couple songs where the scream vocals actually worked well & added to the song. But a very small percentage.

To each his own. Just a style of metal I don't prefer. But hey, if people wanna like it whatever. Still sounds better than Mark Slaughters high pitched sissy screaming.

sadaist
06-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Oh....and to get back on topic....

FUCK YOU LARS!!!!!!!!!!!

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/110735/show-middle-finger-bad.jpg

:biggrin: Hot wet near naked Christina flipping off Lars Ulrich. What could be better?

chefcraig
06-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Oh....and to get back on topic....
:biggrin: Hot wet near naked Christina flipping off Lars Ulrich. What could be better?

A hot, wet, completely nude Christina handing me a beer?

binnie
06-20-2011, 09:47 AM
It spoils what music there is in thrash metal(which is usually very very predictable) in any case.

Were you to delve into extreme metal, you'd realize that just isn't the case.

There's so much variety - and staggering composition - there when you look. It's not all blast beats, chugga-chugga riffage and gorey lyrics.

Dave's Bitch
06-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Listen to Opeth and then come back and tell me that they're not proficient musicians.

I once made the mistake of taking my dad to an art gallery. Whilst looking at some of Jackson Pollock's work, he turned to me and said: 'if you can't paint a nice picture, why fucking bother?' I tried to explain to him that this work wasn't about form, and was all the more powerful for it - it was about expressing emotion in a raw, unprocessed manner (i.e. like emotions happen). Cookie monsters do the same: if you are genuinely furious, angst ridden or desperate, perhaps a pretty, nicely formulated vocal melody won't express that quite as well as just a barking that shit out. Pantera's Suicide Note parts 1 & 2 is a goog example of a guy (Phil Anselmo) who knows when to sing, and when not to.

I think Pantera are the perfect example of your point.Dont worry Binnie,when it comes the the much heavyer side of music i got your back ;)

Seshmeister
06-20-2011, 10:28 AM
What's clever about this?

Dave's Bitch
06-21-2011, 05:10 PM
telling me you dont find this awesome

chefcraig
09-26-2011, 09:04 AM
This is astounding, and not in a good way. Look, I truly like Lou Reed, as I believe some of his work to be about the finest commentary on the American lifestyle and way of doing things this country has ever produced. Having said that, this clip is unforgivable. On the ever-sliding scale defining unions made in hell, this "collaboration" ranks somewhere in the netherworld between my first marriage and Sammy Hagar joining Van Halen. Sonically, it sounds suspiciously like that time KISS decided the world needed a science fiction concept album, but at least that experiment was listenable in places. Seriously, it's that bad, and nothing short of awful.

WARNING: If you have any expectations or respect for Metallica or Reed at this point, think carefully before opting to play this clip. Your opinion of both artists will be changed irreparably after hearing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCuR5wORIM4

kwame k
09-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Wow........sounds like Lou is singing a completely different song than the music being played.

binnie
09-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Lou Reed doesn't appear to be 'singing' at all - he's speaking over a riff. Because his voice isn't that strong, it's also very high in the mix to help it cut through, which just adds to the disjointed feeling.

Reed really should have picked a different 'heavy' band to back him, as Metallica are just too rigid for him - Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, or Aracde Fire would have been better.

I'm surprised Metallica are spending so much time promoting this. When they rather hesitantly announced it as a 'project' rather than an album, alarm bells started ringing......

Seshmeister
09-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Any time Metallica collaborate with other artists or do covers of non heavy metal music all it does is show how completely limited they are.

binnie
09-26-2011, 01:21 PM
I actually like the cover of Bob Seger's 'Turn The Page' - they re-worked it into something else, and kudos to them for doing so (although the video was odd).

Are there many bands that can do lots of different styles of music? If you gave CVH a Tool song to cover, could they do it justice? Could Pink Floyd do 'Anarchy In the UK' justice? If not, does that make them limited, or does it just make them very good at what they do?

WACF
09-26-2011, 01:37 PM
I actually like the cover of Bob Seger's 'Turn The Page' - they re-worked it into something else, and kudos to them for doing so (although the video was odd).

Are there many bands that can do lots of different styles of music? If you gave CVH a Tool song to cover, could they do it justice? Could Pink Floyd do 'Anarchy In the UK' justice? If not, does that make them limited, or does it just make them very good at what they do?

I agree...

One band that blows me away with it's covers though is Opeth.

FORD
09-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Music sounds like a ripoff of Sabbath's "Hand of Doom". Lou sounds like he's trying to imitate Dylan & Johnny Cash at the same time.

FORD
09-26-2011, 03:48 PM
BTW, the Warner/RIAA Nazis already killed the original clip, so if you missed it, this one will probably be good for an hour or two....

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8LWtb621DRg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8LWtb621DRg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

FORD
09-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Fucking idiots. What's next. Recording an album with Spamulus Flatulus?

Well, they did play some shows with him a few years ago. Spam & Sobolewski with Kirk Hammett and Lar$. Forget what they called it, but I called it "Cheesetallica". If they recorded anything, it fortunately was not released :biggrin:

Eat that last ham on rye
Now before you die
It's the last time you will.
Blackened bread as you grill
fills the frying pan
Cheddared chili fries fills his stomach with a rumbling cry
Stranger now, are his ears, to this mystery
He hears the farting so loud
Crack of dawn, all is gone except the wheel of brie
Now the x rays see what will be, clogged arteries to see

For Whom The Cheese Rolls......

sadaist
09-26-2011, 04:16 PM
I actually like the cover of Bob Seger's 'Turn The Page'

Me too Bin. One of my fav Metallica cover tunes actually. I love the original song and I don't know, it just really fit with Metallica and they didn't over do it. When I say "over do it", I mean like some people have overdone "Simple Man" from Lynyrd Skynyrd. So many bands have a tendency to take one of the very cool moments of the song & think it will be awesomely better if they just do the entire song in the same vane as that cool moment. (like a certain scream or emotional line) If it's cool once it will surely be cool for the whole 3 minutes right? WRONG!

sadaist
09-26-2011, 04:23 PM
BTW, the Warner/RIAA Nazis already killed the original clip, so if you missed it, this one will probably be good for an hour or two....

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8LWtb621DRg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8LWtb621DRg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

That is fucking crap.

It's off beat, sounds out of tune, and the flow of the lyrics don't go with the music at all. it's almost like playing 2 songs at once & trying to listen to them both over each other. And those drums....Good God! Someone take that 1 cymbal away from Lars.

lesfunk
09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
I managed 10 seconds once the music started. Jesus....

VAiN
09-26-2011, 05:43 PM
That was very bad... I regret watching it.

BITEYOASS
09-26-2011, 11:30 PM
I would much rather hear Iggy Pop and Megadeth do the entire "Raw Power" album than to hear this shit.

Diamondjimi
09-26-2011, 11:51 PM

Enough. Had to stop this shit @ :42.
This just reaffirms to me that Lou Reed is a complete tone-deaf hack with absolutely NO rhythm, NO melodic ability or appeal.
And this re instills my opinion that Metallica has been chasing the BIG MONEY COCH since they began writing the "Black" album.

This is fucking laughable. Fuck the both of them... :fu:

wolfsbane
09-27-2011, 11:23 AM
This is no big surprise for Metallica. I will never forget reading the tour program for the Black album tour. It is full of headlines and articles that say that Metallica sold out. They were telling us exactly what they were doing! They were laughing all the way to the bank, they still are. Does anyone think that the band that made those early albums is the same one that made St. Anger, Load (of crap), Re-load(of crap), or this Lou Reed thing? Metallica died a long time ago. Why do you think they can't keep their bassists?

FORD
09-27-2011, 12:49 PM
They can't keep their bassists because you can't replace a guy like Cliff Burton.

They had two bass players before him. Most Metallica fans couldn't tell you their names, and the ones who do know them probably couldn't give a shit. It wasn't really "Metallica" until Cliff was there.

And it wasn't really Metallica after he died either. And it's certainly not Jason's fault, or Bob Trujillo's. They're damn good bass players. They just ain't Cliff. Metallica of the 1990's put out some decent stuff, despite the change in direction, but if they had pulled the plug on the whole thing after the bus crash, I could have lived without ever hearing "Enter Sandman" if it meant them never trashing the whole idea of what Metallica was in the first place.

binnie
09-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Can't keep bassists?

newstead: 1987-2001 (14 fucking years)

Truilio: 2003-present (8 fucking years )

It's hardly Whitesnake.

Little Texan
09-28-2011, 08:57 PM
The music side of it isn't too bad, I like the main riff, but Lou Reed's off key spoken word shit just kills the whole song. I knew this was going to suck from the moment I read about Metallica and Lou Reed doing an album together.

Diamondjimi
09-28-2011, 10:53 PM
They can't keep their bassists because you can't replace a guy like Cliff Burton.

They had two bass players before him. Most Metallica fans couldn't tell you their names, and the ones who do know them probably couldn't give a shit. It wasn't really "Metallica" until Cliff was there.

And it wasn't really Metallica after he died either. And it's certainly not Jason's fault, or Bob Trujillo's. They're damn good bass players. They just ain't Cliff. Metallica of the 1990's put out some decent stuff, despite the change in direction, but if they had pulled the plug on the whole thing after the bus crash, I could have lived without ever hearing "Enter Sandman" if it meant them never trashing the whole idea of what Metallica was in the first place.

True as fuch!

Best post so far.... :thumb:

Rikk
09-29-2011, 12:57 AM
One thing I won't accept here is the accusations of selling out or doing this for the money. Jesus Christ, there are a lot of other ways the band could make lots of money. Making an album with LOU REED is going to mostly conjure up headlines but not sell a lot.

I'm not saying it's great. I still support METALLICA and thought DEATH MAGNETIC was freaking awesome, but this is kinda piss poor and clumsy. Lars did some good playing on DEATH MAGNETIC but this is pretty lame. This ain't the worst thing I've ever heard. I think it's kind of become cool to hate Metallica, but they have been one of the great heavy bands of all time. This is a side-project that is misguided (a la LOAD, ST. ANGER, etc.) but even moreso. I thought there was some merit to the LOAD/RELOAD and ST. ANGER projects (with all the flaws), but I have a hard time imagining how I'm going to wanna spin this album a lot.

When they first announced a studio project that's not really METALLICA, I was kind of imagining maybe a BIG 4 album. That would be pretty insane and possibly either amazing or horrible...but at least intriguing. I should have known better, however. There is no way those four bands could let their egos push them through such a mammoth project. But that would have been killer.

I'm a Lou Reed fan...I have all the VELVET UNDERGROUND albums and TRANSFORMER. But I'm not diehard and I really think this is not what METALLICA should be doing right now.

Hardrock69
09-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Man, Rob has been with them for 8 years now? Christ where did the time go?

I have to admit....the scene where they sit down to tell him he got the gig is one of the coolest things I have ever seen as a musician....and then when James says: "And here is a check for ONE MILLION DOLLARS..."....I was fucking floored.

Apparently they learned from their mistreatment of Jason.

Rob surely deserves every bit of his success. He is one of the baddest bassists in metal.

I have not listened to "The View" and I have no intention of ever doing so. From the word go, I knew this was going to be a fucking disaster, and I have not seen a single positive thing said ANYWHERE on the net about this project....certainly since The View was released I have not heard a single positive thing about that song either. So why fucking bother.

Are these stupid fuckers going to drag Lou out on tour now? If they do so they are going to lose their ass. Their record label is probably furious at them for doing this bullshit "project" to begin with, as they know (for once they are correct) that people will ignore the album in droves.....

Jesus Christ
09-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Christ where did the time go?

As Steven whose surname is Miller hath said, time keeps on slipping (slipping slipping) into the future, My son. :jesuslol:

Hardrock69
10-01-2011, 03:16 PM
:lmao:

You said it perfectly, Jesus! :D

rockhead
10-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Damn straight thewy mistreated newstead......newstead had the brains of knowing where the band where going and left while they going was good.Hes probably earned a shitload of money and can do what he wants, i remembered when theyn toured oz in 92 or 93 on the cashgrab tour and he looked like the only one on stage having any fun, getting into the songs and shaking the crowds hands alot during the show.Having his bass parts turned down low in the mix on AJFA is a very form of disrespect!...the AJFA album was always the James & Lar$ show

Man, Rob has been with them for 8 years now? Christ where did the time go?

I have to admit....the scene where they sit down to tell him he got the gig is one of the coolest things I have ever seen as a musician....and then when James says: "And here is a check for ONE MILLION DOLLARS..."....I was fucking floored.

Apparently they learned from their mistreatment of Jason.

Rob surely deserves every bit of his success. He is one of the baddest bassists in metal.

I have not listened to "The View" and I have no intention of ever doing so. From the word go, I knew this was going to be a fucking disaster, and I have not seen a single positive thing said ANYWHERE on the net about this project....certainly since The View was released I have not heard a single positive thing about that song either. So why fucking bother.

Are these stupid fuckers going to drag Lou out on tour now? If they do so they are going to lose their ass. Their record label is probably furious at them for doing this bullshit "project" to begin with, as they know (for once they are correct) that people will ignore the album in droves.....

sadaist
10-02-2011, 02:13 AM

Did you happen to notice how quickly Lar$ interrupted James to clarify that the $1 million wasn't a signing bonus but an advance on future earnings. Like Lar$ couldn't sell another butt ugly painting for another $12 million to give Rob $1 since his sole task is making Lar$ sound good.

I fucking hate Lar$ Ulrich.

rockhead
10-02-2011, 02:58 AM
Can someone also tell Rob T that that crabwalk thing he does on stage looks really stupid!

Seshmeister
10-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Anyone that has seen 'Some Kind of Monster' knows these guys are going to be a lot more mature...

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/6CPHnZV0K-k?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/6CPHnZV0K-k?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Mr Walker
10-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I guess since I am not a hardcore Metallica fan... this is probably the first Metallica related recording that I'm interested in hearing since 'Master of Puppets'.

gitadif
10-18-2011, 05:25 AM
Having his bass parts turned down low in the mix on AJFA is a very form of disrespect!...the AJFA album was always the James & Lar$ show
yeah, just drums and guitar. i saw an interview with hetfield where he said that it shows who were the big egos in the band at the time :) hasn't changed much i guess.

Little Texan
11-07-2011, 12:48 AM
It seems that Lou Reed is getting some of his ideas from South Park...

LoungeMachine
11-07-2011, 02:50 AM
dupe...

LoungeMachine
11-07-2011, 02:52 AM

Hardrock69
11-07-2011, 03:10 AM
Ha...it was inevitable. Hitler seems to rant a lot these days about all kindsa shit, lol.

So the million-dollar check was just an advance? Christ.....so in reality, he was instantly IN DEBT ONE MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS.

A form of modified indentured servitude. I surely hope he has paid it all back! Lars learned his shit well by sucking the Major Label cock.

Diamondjimi
11-09-2011, 02:27 AM
LMFAO!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/298295_260684827296420_130810663617171_894504_1946 489103_n.jpg

binnie
11-11-2011, 02:10 PM
The sad thing is that that's probably the best 'song' on the record.

(I actually don't mind that one, it's like a fucked up REM riff.....)