PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap! Glen Campbell Has Alzheimers......

Hardrock69
06-22-2011, 12:42 PM
That sucks.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20110622/b248669/

verything a man could ever need is his family, his friends and, in Glen Campbell 's case, his fans as well.

In the twilight of what can only be described as a well-lived life, the "Rhinestone Cowboy" singer has revealed that he has Alzheimer's disease.

In an interview with People, Campbell, 75, and his wife, Kim, talked about his decision to go public with the memory-sapping condition because the county music legend plans to stage a series of swan-song performances this fall and wants fans to understand what ails him.

"Glen is still an awesome guitar player and singer," Kim told the magazne. "But if he flubs a lyric or gets confused on stage, I wouldn't want people to think, 'What's the matter with him? Is he drunk?' "

Before he rides off into the sunset of a remarkable career that has seen him sell 45 million albums, win four Grammys and host his own variety show, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour on CBS, Campbell said he wanted to perform live while his mind's still intact as a farewell to all those who've supported him over the years.

"I still love making music," said Campbell. "And I still love performing for my fans. I'd like to thank them for sticking with me through thick and thin."

Godspeed, Glen.

chefcraig
06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Man, between Clarence Clemons, Leslie West and now Glenn Campbell, it's been a hard week on aging musicians. :(

How much do you wanna bet the creep that wrote this negative review of a recent Campbell show is looking for a rock to crawl back under about now? :umm:

Glen Campbell gives mystifyingly bad show

Written by David Lindquist Indystar.com (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110605/ENTERTAINMENT/106050377/Glen-Campbell-gives-mystifyingly-bad-show?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com)

On paper, a concert pairing Glen Campbell with Jimmy Webb -- the songwriter responsible for iconic Campbell hits "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," "Wichita Lineman" and "Galveston" -- represented an intriguing stroke of genius for the Palladium's inaugural season.

Regrettably, the show unraveled Saturday as perhaps the first full-on clunker at the Carmel concert hall.

Facing a sold-out audience nestled in a world-class room, Campbell came across as unprepared at best and disoriented at worst.

He mangled lyrics (despite unabashed use of video prompts on three onstage monitors), clanged countless off-key guitar notes and generated zero rapport with the crowd.

Campbell struggled to even communicate with long-running band leader T.J. Keunster.

"What key? . . . Who wrote it? . . . I like this song," served as an evening-long mantra for Country Music Hall of Famer Campbell.

For the record, Larry Weiss wrote "Rhinestone Cowboy," but he didn't send Campbell down "a road of compromisin'."

When handed a 12-string guitar before "Southern Nights," Campbell astutely observed he had his hands full with the six-string models that came before.

He at least acknowledged Webb but offered no anecdotes surrounding "Phoenix," "Wichita" or "Galveston."

While the Palladium didn't expressly advertise that Campbell and Webb would share the stage, the two men have played collaborative "storyteller" gigs in recent years.

Saturday's program: Webb as supporting act, followed by a Campbell train wreck better suited for a county-fair beer tent.

Take away Webb's chance to dote on "Phoenix," "Wichita" and "Galveston," and the Oklahoma native still has a wealth of smash hits he wrote for other acts.

Seated at a grand piano, Webb shared tales of fortuitous breaks and quirky showbiz characters.

Actor Richard Harris, for instance, enjoyed a Top 10 hit with Webb's "MacArthur Park" in 1968.

In Webb's hands, the song's lyrics are as confounding as ever, but he executed an intense instrumental climax at the Palladium.

Webb admitted to pouncing on Art Garfunkel shortly after the breakup of Simon & Garfunkel. A pitch of "All I Know" sent Garfunkel back to the Top 10.

And even if a girlfriend once told Webb the song was "silly," the songwriter turned "All I Know" into the most inspired performance of the night.

FORD
06-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Damn that sucks.....

Never was a big fan of his country material, but Glenn certainly made his mark as a session guy before all of that crap. He was even a Beach Boy for a few minutes, and even though this record was released under his own name, it's definitely a Beach Boys record in every sense of the word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4L15-ImCyE

Ironic lyrics given the current reality. I doubt he's playing this one on the current tour. Alzheimers is a bitch in any case :(

jhale667
06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Never was a fan, but always respected him as a guitarist, and for nailing Tanya Tucker in her prime. That just sucks...knowing every day you'll remember less and less until you finally turn into a vegetable. Tragic. :(

Mr Walker
06-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Used to watch his variety show all the time when I was a kid

fryingdutchman
06-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Damn...that really blows. So sad...

Glen Campbell is one of those names that conjures up memories of my childhood....listening to his stuff on the AM radio in my family's Ford Galaxy 500.

Nitro Express
06-23-2011, 05:41 AM
Talk about a funky custom axe.:biggrin:

Nitro Express
06-23-2011, 05:47 AM
Damn...that really blows. So sad...

Glen Campbell is one of those names that conjures up memories of my childhood....listening to his stuff on the AM radio in my family's Ford Galaxy 500.

Wichita Lineman brought back memories of the smell an old Ford F-150 pickup had while going to my uncles farm to buck hay bails. That was the type of stuff that would be on the radio.

Matt White
06-23-2011, 09:57 AM
The 1st LP I remember my older Bro buying was Rinestone cowboy.........hang in there Glen!