PDA

View Full Version : Riggleman quits as Manager of Washington Nationals

fryingdutchman
06-24-2011, 02:11 PM
In a shocking development in the nation's capital, Jim Riggleman quit Thursday as manager of the Washington Nationals.

The Nationals beat the the Seattle Mariners 1-0 on Thursday, completing a three-game sweep. They have won 11 of their previous 12 games.

Riggleman reportedly was upset that the Nationals were not going to pick up the option on his contract.

"Jim told me pregame today that if we wouldn't pick up his [contract] option that he wouldn't get on the team bus today," Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said at a news conference after Thursday's game.

Riggleman's surprise announcement came as the Nationals have surged to 38-37.

"Jim is a good baseball man," his agent, Burton Rocks, said. "He will manage again. And he will win. The Nationals should have picked up his option sooner rather than later. It rewards a job well done and promotes team chemistry."

Romeo Delight
06-24-2011, 05:39 PM
I am hearing he was getting brushed off for months now...being told they would get to it and never did.

This makes his move look bad, but there is more to this story

chefcraig
06-24-2011, 05:44 PM
I agree, there has to be much more to this. The Natinals finally get above 500, and on the very day they do, the manager quits over a $700,000 salary discrepancy. NOBODY looks good in this. The ownership failed the manager, the manager quit on the players, the players and fans are left scratching their heads.

redblkwht
07-03-2011, 12:09 AM
I am hearing he was getting brushed off for months now...being told they would get to it and never did.

This makes his move look bad, but there is more to this story
Jim is a terrific coach, he was terrific with the cubs org as well..class act, I believe him over the GM. Nationals were idiot for not resigning him, he was in the bottom for salary..
I hope he turns up again IMO.

High Life Man
07-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Read that Davey J's taking of the helm was something they were planning for awhile. Shitty for sure, but it happens.