PDA

View Full Version : Even FAUX noize has to admit Batshit Bachmann is a "flake"

FORD
06-26-2011, 01:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOoCB-nw9TU

sadaist
06-26-2011, 02:24 PM
HAHA! I saw this today. I was actually surprised he was so blunt about it. Funny stuff. Oddly enough, she seems like Einstein compared to Palin. At least when Michelle talks it isn't in that stupid cutesy condescending facetious way with a little hockey mom wink in her eye. Makes me sick.:barf:

bueno bob
06-26-2011, 02:44 PM
I personally can't wait for a Michelle Bachmann/Sarah Palin 2012 ticket, myself. Within six months, I'll finally be able to have my dream job once they "fix" the economy.

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/mad-max-delayed-until-2012.jpg

It's OK, really...I always thought it'd just be more convenient to kill for food, water and gas anyway.

FORD
06-26-2011, 03:12 PM
http://www.eastex.net/rappaw/new/bachmann-palin_overdrive.jpg

sadaist
06-26-2011, 04:20 PM
I personally can't wait for a Michelle Bachmann/Sarah Palin 2012 ticket, myself. Within six months, I'll finally be able to have my dream job once they "fix" the economy.

It's OK, really...I always thought it'd just be more convenient to kill for food, water and gas anyway.

Hate to get off topic (not really), but dude, look at that fucking tree behind Mel. WTF! Is it a real tree or a petrified elephant? That is the 2nd coolest tree I think I've ever seen.....next to the kid eating tree from Poltergeist that is. When my stepson asked what I was planting outside his window I told him 'kid-eating tree'.

Nitro Express
06-26-2011, 04:25 PM

What all these movies miss is gasoline goes bad pretty quick. Especially, the stuff with the ethanol and other additives in it. Fuel filters and injectors will clog up. Vehicles will run like shit and then stop running. It wouldn't be vehicles people would want it would be horses.

But honestly, after two terms of Bush and almost a term of Obama, I'm surprised we aren't fighting each other with sticks and stones right now.:biggrin:

sadaist
06-26-2011, 04:30 PM
What all these movies miss is gasoline goes bad pretty quick. Especially, the stuff with the ethanol and other additives in it. Fuel filters and injectors will clog up. Vehicles will run like shit and then stop running. It wouldn't be vehicles people would want it would be horses.

You mean WaterWorld wasn't realistic? Aw hell man. I so wanted to grow some gills behind my ears so the next time a wave tumbles my non-surfing butt around, I could just catch the rip current out to Maui or sumthin.

Nitro Express
06-26-2011, 04:46 PM
You mean WaterWorld wasn't realistic? Aw hell man. I so wanted to grow some gills behind my ears so the next time a wave tumbles my non-surfing butt around, I could just catch the rip current out to Maui or sumthin.

That had to be the most over hyped movie ever. I remember when they went into how much is cost to make and blah, blah, blah. It was a total shit movie. Just horrible.

Seshmeister
06-26-2011, 06:14 PM
HAHA! I saw this today. I was actually surprised he was so blunt about it. Funny stuff. Oddly enough, she seems like Einstein compared to Palin. At least when Michelle talks it isn't in that stupid cutesy condescending facetious way with a little hockey mom wink in her eye. Makes me sick.:barf:

Apparently he's the token non fucktard on Fox.

FORD
06-26-2011, 06:26 PM
No, he's still a fucktard. Just ask Bill Clinton......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvQmrtuQUnI

sadaist
06-26-2011, 06:43 PM
I actually believe Bill in that clip. When you get that angry/fired up/passionate about what you are saying and it is coming out so forceful and quick, it usually isn't a lie. Well, it's either the truth or he really believes what he is saying. Either way I don't think he is fibbing in that clip. That passion is something Obama sorely lacks. Sometimes you just gotta stick your boot in someones ass.

Seshmeister
06-26-2011, 06:48 PM
It's hard to imagine Obama being as strong as this...

Seshmeister
06-26-2011, 06:49 PM
That's funny, I never looked at the replies before posting.

We were all away looking at the same clips and thinking the same thing.

Nitro Express
06-26-2011, 08:22 PM
What's interesting is Fox bends over for Sarah Palin but slams Michelle Bachman. Either Bachman is halfway honest and isn't bought off or FOX see's her as a lost cause because she isn't the celebrity Palin is.

The big difference between Bill Clinton and Obama and George W. Bush for that matter is Clinton was president. He really was in charge of his presidentcy and was known to be a micro manager. He was the typical corrupt politician but he wanted to be in change and owned it. He wasn't going to let anyone steer him otherwise. Bill was a leader. Obama is not a leader nor was George W. Bush a leader.

bueno bob
06-26-2011, 10:37 PM

But honestly, after two terms of Bush and almost a term of Obama, I'm surprised we aren't fighting each other with sticks and stones right now.:biggrin:

Truth. I actually went through the trilogy with my son a while back, and he perked up right quick towards the end of Thunderdome and called bullshit on the train still being functional, as the railroad tracks would have been among the first things scrapped for salvage in the event of a post-apocalyptic restructuring.

Not bad for 14. :)

Seshmeister
06-26-2011, 10:50 PM
It's been years since I saw it but is Mad Max 2 not a bit much for a 14 year old?

I guess kids are less easily shocked these days.

Nitro Express
06-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I did a big case study on Nucor Steel and railroad rails are top quality steel. They were melting them down and when the source ran out due to all the old unused branch lines were gone, it created a problem for the company.

The thing is that steel might be useful if someone could use it but if society was thrown that far back you would be in a blacksmith situation with hand tools. How many survivors would know what they were doing? I think the steel wouldn't be worth as much as a clean water supply and a source of food. Look at New Orleans during Katrina, those people just sat there waiting for help for days. I often wonder how many people would sit there and then turn on each other once no help arrived. A few thugs probably would rule the cities until they kill each other off. The big winners would be the isolated people with some skills.

Even the indians on the reservations would be in pretty sorry shape. Most of them are fat and lazy. A few of them keep the old traditions but most don't. Not too many can knap out an arrow head or make an arrow from choke cherry wood. All those old American indian skills would be worth their value in gold in a Mad Max situation.

Seshmeister
06-26-2011, 11:05 PM
These days though electricity is more diversified.

We have hundreds of wind turbines around you would think that people would be able to hook up to. Max would be driving a Prius and they would be fighting over wind farms...

Unchainme
06-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Fucking Bachmann...

Unqualified-Check
Social Conservative-Check

looks like Obama is getting my vote if this cunt wins the nom. And I realize "Cunt" is a strong word to describe a women, but the woman is just..that. The very fact that it's 2010 and you still have someone running for a major political parties presidential running on how Gays are possessed by Satan, and that they have mental problems...is frightening.

On the gay community and same-sex marriage: “This is a very serious matter, because it is our children who are the prize for this community, they are specifically targeting our children.” — Senator Michele Bachmann, appearing as guest on radio program “Prophetic Views Behind The News”, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-AM, March 20, 2004.

Wow. Just wrap your head around that quote.

We need someone who's main focus is on jobs and keeping the country safe. NOT, misquoting scripture to push their bullshit agenda of what they feel the country should appear to be.

Seshmeister
06-26-2011, 11:12 PM
It's mind boggling that she made it to the senate.

She's a fucking Taliban without the street smarts.

Unchainme
06-26-2011, 11:14 PM
It's mind boggling that she made it to the senate.

Sesh.

Do you guys in Europe have people this dumb running for political office?

Seshmeister
06-26-2011, 11:23 PM
I can't speak for all of Europe but we don't have a Bachmann or Palin equivalent.

You'll see the mayor of London next year at the Olympics who is a bit of a nutjob but he's a bumbling eccentric with book smarts which is different from those two witches.

I think the problem is the election system in the US, there are dumb voters in every country but the system in the US relying so much on long campaigns using lots of TV advertising seems to allow some crazy candidates to be successful. Parliament raises the bar a bit too. I couldn't imagine George Bush surviving 30 minutes of unscripted questions each week from rivals.

Nitro Express
06-26-2011, 11:27 PM
These days though electricity is more diversified.

We have hundreds of wind turbines around you would think that people would be able to hook up to. Max would be driving a Prius and they would be fighting over wind farms...

We have big wind farms as well as well as a lot of hydroelectric. The thing is someone has to know how to maintain those things and they need parts. I hear the wind turbines are especially high maintenance. Then of course it's high voltage which means you need people with the propper equipment that know what they are doing. If those people are gone then it's a good way to get yourself killed. You could keep making these kind of movies because there are all sorts of interesting possibilities when you start thinking about it.

Nitro Express
06-26-2011, 11:31 PM
I can't speak for all of Europe but we don't have a Bachmann or Palin equivalent.

You'll see the mayor of London next year at the Olympics who is a bit of a nutjob but he's a bumbling eccentric with book smarts which is different from those two witches.

I think the problem is the election system in the US, there are dumb voters in every country but the system in the US relying so much on long campaigns using lots of TV advertising seems to allow some crazy candidates to be successful. Parliament raises the bar a bit too. I couldn't imagine George Bush surviving 30 minutes of unscripted questions each week from rivals.

If you look at the US goverment it has all sorts of checks and balances in the system. The problem is the corporations have bought the system. I think what would fix a lot of it is making it illegal for corporations to fund candidates period and make it so only registered voters can give to campaigns and put a ceiling on the amount per person so the rich don't have any advantage. That would change things for the better.

The problem with the US is it's a victim of it's success. When the citizens become fat, dumb, and happy they take a lot for granted and get sloppy. I've seen this place in slow decline for the past 30 years. The country had become a big fat carcass for everyone to feed off of. I found the 1990's particularly annoying with everyone all high on thoughts of getting rich quick in real estate and day trading. It went beyond common sense. It was a real orgy.

I see 2012 as a crossroads election. It's where we are going to decide whether we are going to solve things politically or break apart into factions of opposing people. I've never seen so many irons in the fire or a potential for possible violence before. It will just take something snapping wrong and it's off. People are flaming angry but nobody wants to be the first to stick their necks out and also, they still have a little faith left in the system hoping it will work and avoid what will come if it doesn't.
\

kwame k
06-26-2011, 11:32 PM

I'm stealing that line, Sesh!

Seshmeister
06-26-2011, 11:49 PM
If you look at the US goverment it has all sorts of checks and balances in the system. The problem is the corporations have bought the system. I think what would fix a lot of it is making it illegal for corporations to fund candidates period and make it so only registered voters can give to campaigns and put a ceiling on the amount per person so the rich don't have any advantage. That would change things for the better.

We have plenty of dickhead dodgy politicians here too. I think someone worked out recently that our MPs are 10 times more likely to end up in jail than the average member of the public. What I don't recognise is the real fucking dummy stuff like I saw in the last VP debate or electing a woman who says stuff like

" ''I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970s that the swine flu broke out under another, then under another Democrat president, Jimmy Carter. I'm not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence.''"

''Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas.''

''Normalization (of gayness) through desensitization. Very effective way to do this with a bunch of second graders, is take a picture of 'The Lion King' for instance, and a teacher might say, 'Do you know that the music for this movie was written by a gay man?' The message is: I'm better at what I do, because I'm gay.''

Nitro Express
06-26-2011, 11:50 PM
How can a female tax lawyer be a taliban? The taliban would kill her for going to school and having a career. They especially would kill her for holding political office.

kwame k
06-26-2011, 11:51 PM
The reason we get the worst of the worst is the media scrutinizes political officials to such an extent, and judges them to an unbelievably high Puritanical standard....the only people stupid enough to run for office are the ones who have no shame by design [attention whores] or are just too moronic to realize everyone's making fun of you!

If Clinton had come out and said "Yep, she gave me head, WTF is that any of your business? That's between my family and me.". Do you think the media would of still crucified him?

I do!

You can't even get some strange if your the leader of the free world.......that's not my America!

Nitro Express
06-26-2011, 11:55 PM
I must say the house of commons is never boring to watch. Our government channel here occasionally puts it on. Watching our house or senate is like watching paint dry but the british house of commons is something else. But you are right, the prime minister is in the thick of it.

Nitro Express
06-26-2011, 11:59 PM
The reason we get the worst of the worst is the media scrutinizes political officials to such an extent, and judges them to an unbelievably high Puritanical standard....the only people stupid enough to run for office are the ones who have no shame by design [attention whores] or are just too moronic to realize everyone's making fun of you!

If Clinton had come out and said "Yep, she gave me head, WTF is that any of your business? That's between my family and me.". Do you think the media would of still crucified him?

I do!

You can't even get some strange if your the leader of the free world.......that's not my America!

I think you are absolutely right. Politics and the media coverage of it has become so dirty no sane person wants anything to do with it. I miss the days of Walter Cronkite and neutral news. The days you had no idea whether the news people were Democrats or Republicans. They reported the story in a neutral format and let the viewers make their own decisions. The problem started when we stopped being Americans and became Republicans and Democrats. Every fucking thing is a partisan fight.

kwame k
06-27-2011, 12:09 AM
I think you are absolutely right. Politics and the media coverage of it has become so dirty no sane person wants anything to do with it. I miss the days of Walter Cronkite and neutral news. The days you had no idea whether the news people were Democrats or Republicans. They reported the story in a neutral format and let the viewers make their own decisions. The problem started when we stopped being Americans and became Republicans and Democrats. Every fucking thing is a partisan fight.

Which leads to why an idiot like Dubya or Plain would even be considered electable...........stark raving mad religious nuts that are so Lilly White that you need shades just to look at them. Spewing God awful bile pandering to a Puritan base that anyone with an original thought or an opinion that isn't from the 16th century is considered radical......

Jeez, I wonder why we get what we get?

Till we get to a point where religion and sex play zero part in who we elect, we'll never have the best and brightest running for elected office in this country.

Nitro Express
06-27-2011, 12:17 AM
There was plenty of sex in the good old days. In fact, Florence Henderson who played Mrs. Brady admitted she caught a case of the crabs from fucking the mayor of New York back in the 1960's. My mom grew up around race horses and the whole horse racing thing and she saw plenty in the good old days. She always told us the morality was horrible but society covered it up. Everyone knew of Kennedy's affairs but the press never went into it. That would have been too racy.

Maybe we need to go back to some of that actually. Just don't cover it.. I mean the Republicans going after Clinton on the Lewinsky thing was starting to sound like Penthouse Forum. Kennedy was just as hated but they let it go. They didn't go into the sex thing because in those days they had the good taste not to.

That's what's missing from our society today. Good manners and good taste. Before in God We Trust was put on our money it read, "Mind Your Business". We would be so much better off if we just minded our business and had the good taste not to throw it in front of others who might be offended by it.

kwame k
06-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Let's take a stroll down memory lane for the moral majority.......

Thomas Jefferson.........knocked up his slave.

Ben Franklin.......whore.

FDR........cripple that still had a lesbo wife and a mistress on the side.....elected to how many terms?

JFK......fucked everything that stood still.

So glad we hold our elected officials to a higher standard today because God knows we don't need men like them running/framing our country.

FORD
06-27-2011, 01:03 AM
How can a female tax lawyer be a taliban?

When her law degree is from Oral Roberts University :biggrin:

Nitro Express
06-27-2011, 03:42 AM
Let's take a stroll down memory lane for the moral majority.......

Thomas Jefferson.........knocked up his slave.

Ben Franklin.......whore.

FDR........cripple that still had a lesbo wife and a mistress on the side.....elected to how many terms?

JFK......fucked everything that stood still.

So glad we hold our elected officials to a higher standard today because God knows we don't need men like them running/framing our country.

I didn't know about Jefferson and his slave but Old Ben raised hell in France. I watched a program where Ben was there with an early rising puritan sort and he couldn't stand Ben's partying and womanizing. I mean the religious right would have a real problem with Ben Franklin today. I do believe Thomas Jefferson thought all the church's were church's of men. The thing is these are the guys who paved the way for self government and individual rights. They were far from perfect and I think we have to remember they lived in different times but as Jefferson put it, the whole system is about individuals persuing their own happiness and sure there is religious freedom but they also put limits on where that is appropriate by separating church and state. The last thing the founders wanted was a theocracy.

I think George Washington would be horrified if he walked into the rotunda of the US Capitol and saw that fresco of him portrayed as a demigod. I've read a lot on Washington and that would probably creep him out.

Nitro Express
06-27-2011, 03:50 AM
When her law degree is from Oral Roberts University :biggrin:

I remember waiting in line to see a Molly Hatchet concert and there was this wasted dude in line next to us. He asked us what do you call two gay men by the name of Bob? Of course we go we have no idea. He then goes Oral Roberts and the whole line busts out laughing. It was the first time I heard that joke and thought it was pretty damn funny.

Unchainme
06-27-2011, 01:33 PM
It just scares the shit out of me that this women could have access to Nuclear Weapons. Same with Palin.

At least, for the sake of argument, Captain Mormon is mainly into the business side of things, and went to a legit non-televangelist type of school. I'd feel at least safe that he wouldn't just decide to nuke Chine because he read about in the book-o-mormon.

Nitro Express
06-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Bachman will be a flash in the pan like Donald Trump was. Remember Trump was popular with the tea party as well and then he sunk like the Titanic.

When you have a mouth like Trump or Bachman you don't last long.

Nitro Express
06-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Bachman will be a flash in the pan like Donald Trump was. Remember Trump was popular with the tea party as well and then he sunk like the Titanic.

When you have a mouth like Trump or Bachman you don't last long.

Mitt is a good administrator. He did an excellent job of fixing the Salt Lake Olympic fiasco. The problem with Mitt is I don't trust him. I think he will side with banks and corporations over the American people.

jhale667
06-27-2011, 01:50 PM
It just scares the shit out of me that this women could have access to Nuclear Weapons. Same with Palin.

At least, for the sake of argument, Captain Mormon is mainly into the business side of things, and went to a legit non-televangelist type of school. I'd feel at least safe that he wouldn't just decide to nuke Chine because he read about in the book-o-mormon.

She's an idiot. The FIRST person she should be investigating in her so-called "Un-American activity" witch-hunt she wants to start should be HERSELF... she's fucking batshit.

As for Mittens, the Bible belt is NEVER going to vote for him.

FORD
06-27-2011, 01:58 PM
As for Mittens, the Bible belt is NEVER going to vote for him.

And the corporatist Repukes would never vote for Palin or Bachmann.

As I've said before, my "worst nightmare scenario" is the Repukes putting Mittens on a ticket with either Palin or Bachmann as VP, Diebolding the election, and then some teabagging lunatic killing Mittens within the first 90 days.

Unchainme
06-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Mitt is a good administrator. He did an excellent job of fixing the Salt Lake Olympic fiasco. The problem with Mitt is I don't trust him. I think he will side with banks and corporations over the American people.

So he's Obama except right-wing.

I'd kill for a Ross Perot right now.

FORD
06-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Even the Moonie-owned ultra-rightwing Washington Times is pointing out Bachmann stupidity.........

The Wrong John Wayne
by Stephen Dinan

Published on June 27, 2011

Rep. Michele Bachmann kicked off her presidential campaign on Monday in Waterloo, Iowa, and in one interview surrounding the official event she promised to mimic the spirit of Waterloo's own John Wayne.

The only problem, as one eagle-eyed reader notes: Waterloo's John Wayne was not the beloved movie star, but rather John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer.

Mrs. Bachmann grew up in Waterloo, and used the town as the backdrop for her campaign announcement, where she told Fox News: "Well what I want them to know is just like, John Wayne was from Waterloo, Iowa. That's the kind of spirit that I have, too." (Someone has already posted the clip to YouTube under the name BachmannLovesGacy)

John Wayne, the movie legend, is in fact from Iowa and the John Wayne birthplace is a celebrated landmark — only it's in Winterset, which is a nearly three hour drive away from Waterloo.

Gacy, though, had his first taste of the criminal life in Waterloo, where he lived for a short time, and where he had his first criminal conviction for an attempted homosexual assault, which landed him in prison for 18 months.

He would move back to Illinois, where his killing spree started, and lasted about six years. In 1980 he was convicted on 33 counts of murder, and was executed in 1994.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsLfL9vMaUY

Nitro Express
06-27-2011, 03:43 PM
So he's Obama except right-wing.

I'd kill for a Ross Perot right now.

You only have to look at his record in Massachusetts as governor. He pretty much was like Obama there. Mittcare that he passed in that state is a mini Obamacare. He was also pro gay marriage. Not that I care about that issue but people pretty much know where they stand on it and stay there but not Mitt. So the guy is a shapeshifter like Obama. They turn into whatever their voting base wants them to be and then they shift into whatever who bought them want them to be. We don't need another one in office.

Nitro Express
06-27-2011, 03:55 PM
And the corporatist Repukes would never vote for Palin or Bachmann.

As I've said before, my "worst nightmare scenario" is the Repukes putting Mittens on a ticket with either Palin or Bachmann as VP, Diebolding the election, and then some teabagging lunatic killing Mittens within the first 90 days.

Probably not Bachman but Kissinger had Palin well schooled. The basic, join our program and we will make sure you make a lot of money. I would say Palin is more corrupt than Bachmann. What I find funny is they both fucked up royal on basic American history regarding Paul Revere's ride and the following battle with British forces. Bachman thought it happened in New Hampshire and Palin thought Revere warned the British. It's bad enough they don't know basic US history that was taught in shcool but they were dumb enough to give an answer to the media without knowing. Palin might make a good dog catcher. She seems pretty fit and might do a good job at that.

Seshmeister
06-27-2011, 05:01 PM
You only have to look at his record in Massachusetts as governor. He pretty much was like Obama there. Mittcare that he passed in that state is a mini Obamacare.

As I understand it it's actually a lot more than Obamacare.

Surely that makes him fatally flawed. Piece of piss to tie him in knots with that in a debate. 'So it's good enough for Massachusetts but not the rest of us?'

Seshmeister
06-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Probably not Bachman but Kissinger had Palin well schooled. The basic, join our program and we will make sure you make a lot of money. I would say Palin is more corrupt than Bachmann. What I find funny is they both fucked up royal on basic American history regarding Paul Revere's ride and the following battle with British forces. Bachman thought it happened in New Hampshire and Palin thought Revere warned the British. It's bad enough they don't know basic US history that was taught in shcool but they were dumb enough to give an answer to the media without knowing. Palin might make a good dog catcher. She seems pretty fit and might do a good job at that.

To me that's fairly minor compared to not knowing the properties of CO2 or saying you don't read newspapers or that gay people are evil.

FORD
06-27-2011, 05:16 PM
The difference between Bachmann and Palin is that while both are batshit crazy, and delusionally "religious", Palin is a stupid serial quitter, while Bachmann has a degree (even though it is from a university founded by a televangelist) and is actually committed to her fucked up ideology.

Bachmann is definitely the more dangerous of the two, because she actually means it.

binnie
06-27-2011, 05:52 PM
It's a sad day when a great nation descends into soap opera.

Nitro Express
06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
It's a sad day when a great nation descends into soap opera.

No kidding. When I was a kid in the 70's people considered themselves American first and then Republican or Democrat. Sure people argued politics. I knew some great patriotic people many WWII vets who were both Democrats and Republicans. Now it's like the nutcase fringe of both parties have taken over and they are fueled by lots of special interest money and the media is out to make a disfunctional reality show of it all to boost their ratings.

Seshmeister
06-27-2011, 06:35 PM
The difference between Bachmann and Palin is that while both are batshit crazy, and delusionally "religious", Palin is a stupid serial quitter, while Bachmann has a degree (even though it is from a university founded by a televangelist) and is actually committed to her fucked up ideology.

Bachmann is definitely the more dangerous of the two, because she actually means it.

I've just been reading up on Oral Roberts 'university'.

I think it's a real shame that the US doesn't have rules like the UK whereby you can only call yourself a University and award degrees if you meet have met strict criteria and gone through a long formal process.

That place is a fucking joke founded by a sick fuck conman.

No great suprise to learn Ted Haggard was trained there.

Nitro Express
06-27-2011, 06:40 PM

I hate it when they say the country was founded on Christian values. It was founded on the premise that all men were created equal and deserve the right to be free and to pursue their own happiness. It was made clear by the founders we wern't going to have a theocracy. So let's cut out this business of trying to legislate morals. You can't. I sure as hell don't want the government involved in the decision of women getting abortions and trying to play god there.

Nitro Express
06-27-2011, 06:58 PM
I've just been reading up on Oral Roberts 'university'.

I think it's a real shame that the US doesn't have rules like the UK whereby you can only call yourself a University and award degrees if you meet have met strict criteria and gone through a long formal process.

That place is a fucking joke founded by a sick fuck conman.

No great suprise to learn Ted Haggard was trained there.

We have accreditation societies that rate the universities. I know Brigham Young University has to meet certain standards to keep their accreditation. Also the catholic church runs some very good universities like Fordham. Universities were originally monasteries because they developed around big libraries. I have yet to meet anyone who graduated from Oral Roberts University. I somehow think Oral Roberts University is a lot like that university in the movie The Waterboy.

Here you go. Biology class at Oral Roberts University. :biggrin:

If Bachman wins Obamacare will be replaced with OralRobertscare. Some prayer to some organ music and hot damn shazam the cancer is healed!:biggrin:

FORD
06-27-2011, 11:26 PM
And another thing about Batshit Bachmann claiming "the spirit of John Wayne", I'd like to remind her what The Duke said in November 1960 after the election of JFK...

"I didn't vote for him but he's my president, and I hope he does a good job."

Anybody ever hear Bachmann (or any other teabagging wackjob) say that about Obama?

**crickets**

Unchainme
06-27-2011, 11:29 PM
And another thing about Batshit Bachmann claiming "the spirit of John Wayne", I'd like to remind her what The Duke said in November 1960 after the election of JFK...

Anybody ever hear Bachmann (or any other teabagging wackjob) say that about Obama?

**crickets**

Would be nice if that spirit was brought back to the country. Instead of a bunch of jackasses dressed in Paul Revere costumes screaming about birth certificates.

bueno bob
06-28-2011, 02:39 AM
It's been years since I saw it but is Mad Max 2 not a bit much for a 14 year old?

I guess kids are less easily shocked these days.

Well...I saw the original trilogy when I was in middle school, so I figured if I could handle it and he's playing things like Black Ops on the 360 while I was playing Dig Dug, what the hell...?

:)

Nitro Express
06-28-2011, 02:54 AM
Would be nice if that spirit was brought back to the country. Instead of a bunch of jackasses dressed in Paul Revere costumes screaming about birth certificates.

Trump dressed up like Paul Revere? I must have missed that one.

Nitro Express
06-28-2011, 03:00 AM

**crickets**

Yup. There is no class anymore. When I hear these whack jobs like Glenn Beck say we have to support Israel or God will punish us. What a load of shit. These same morons claim the founding fathers were inspired by God. I would love to point out to Beck that Thomas Jefferson warned about getting entangled in foreign affairs. I guess Jefferson prayed to a different god than Glenn Beck prays to.

FORD
06-28-2011, 08:58 PM
...and in further Batshit Bachmann news........

Tom Petty to Bachmann: Stop Using My Song

June 28, 2011 6:25 PM

ABC News' Russell Goldman (@GoldmanRussell) reports:

Michele Bachmann might be the Republican Party’s latest “American Girl,” but according to the Los Angeles Times Tom Petty reportedly told the stalwart conservative and presidential contender he doesn’t want her playing that song any more at campaign events.

Bachmann, R-Minn., played the 1977 hit at the end of two speeches she delivered this week in Waterloo, Iowa, where she formally kicked off her campaign at a rally Monday morning.

It’s not the first time the song has been used by a candidate. Hillary Clinton also played the tune at events when she sought the Democratic nomination in 2008. Petty didn’t object to her use. It has also been featured in several movies and television shows.

Nor is this the first time Tom Petty has put the kibosh on a Republican candidate playing his music at campaign events. He reportedly shot down President Bush’s request to use “I Won’t Back Down.”

At the time this blog was published, the Bachmann campaign did not have a comment on whether the congresswoman would stop using the song at events.

After two strong weeks as a semi-official candidate, following an announcement earlier this month that she would run for office, Bachmann hit a rough patch this weekend. Her use of “American Girl” is the least of it.

On Sunday, the day before her official announcement, Fox News anchor Chris Wallace asked her if she was a “flake.” She called the question “insulting” and Wallace later apologized. On Monday, the blogosphere jumped on a comment she made in another Fox interview, confusing Waterloo the birthplace of actor John Wayne with John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer who actually was born there.

In an interview this morning on ABC News' "Good Morning America," she stood by a previous controversial comment that America’s founding fathers “worked tirelessly” to end slavery, arguing that John Quincy Adams, who was 10 years old in 1776, worked to end the practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNgt7U9QrFQ

SunisinuS
06-28-2011, 09:31 PM
All Rights Reserved to TomPETTYevo or some shit! I am not running for office. Enjoy!

FORD
06-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Mick & Keef ain't Republicans either, but maybe they'll let Bachmann use this one........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmxWQgGXokA

Oh who's to blame? That girl's just INSANE!!

Nitro Express
06-28-2011, 09:56 PM
All I can say is enjoy the show.:biggrin: The fringe in the Republican party are dumb enough to side with her just because she won't back down. But then both parties have their tow the line fringe freaks. What decides elections are the political atheists in the middle. The swing voters. They don't pledge allegiance to any party and they are pissed off. Now that it has become obvious to us that Wall Street and multinational interests own both parties we aren't so eager to vote for whoever they are propping up. It's going to be interesting especially since all the Democrats and Republicans know how to do is take the corporate and offshore money and expect to get their turn of the swing vote because the other party pissed them off during the previous term. I somehow think that cycle is going to end. Exactly how i have no idea but the middle everyone needs is pissed and tired of business as usual.

All I know is if a third party does start to threaten the two headed monopoly the Democrats and Republicans will get into bed with each other to beat it down to protect the racket they have going.

Nitro Express
06-28-2011, 10:00 PM
A political movement needs a good marching beat. This song would do for The Bachman Army.:biggrin:

FORD
06-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Yup. There is no class anymore. When I hear these whack jobs like Glenn Beck say we have to support Israel or God will punish us. What a load of shit. These same morons claim the founding fathers were inspired by God. I would love to point out to Beck that Thomas Jefferson warned about getting entangled in foreign affairs. I guess Jefferson prayed to a different god than Glenn Beck prays to.

You know who Glenn BecKKK prays to........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3BqLZ8UoZk

Nickdfresh
06-28-2011, 10:41 PM
How can a female tax lawyer be a taliban? The taliban would kill her for going to school and having a career. They especially would kill her for holding political office.

Or did she become a politician because her clients kept getting audited?

Seshmeister
06-29-2011, 05:04 AM
Well...I saw the original trilogy when I was in middle school, so I figured if I could handle it and he's playing things like Black Ops on the 360 while I was playing Dig Dug, what the hell...?

:)

Dig Dug was about being eaten alive underground by giant lizard creatures.

Terrifying. :)

Seshmeister
06-29-2011, 05:06 AM
Or did she become a politician because her clients kept getting audited?

No wonder the deficit is so high if the treasury is appointing mental people to chase the taxes.

BigBadBrian
06-29-2011, 07:57 AM
I don't know much about Bachmann at this point, but I do know one thing: the LEFT is terrified of her. This misogynist thread (rather common around here among liberals) is just a small example. A Bachmann/Rubio or Bachmann/Jindal ticket coupled with a still-sagging economy would be the Left's worst nightmare. The Presidency, Senate, and House would all very well go Republican next year.

FORD
06-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Bachmann's husband got $137,000 in Medicaid funds
Presidential candidate has often blasted growing welfare programs

By Michael Isikoff National investigative correspondent
NBC News
updated 6/28/2011 7:46:46 PM ET

While Rep. Michelle Bachmann, R-Minn., has forcefully denounced the Medicaid program for swelling the "welfare rolls," the mental health clinic run by her husband has been collecting annual Medicaid payments totaling over $137,000 for the treatment of patients since 2005, according to new figures obtained by NBC News.

The previously unreported payments are on top of the $24,000 in federal and state funds that Bachmann & Associates, the clinic founded by Marcus Bachmann, a clinical therapist, received in recent years under a state grant to train its employees, state records show. The figures were provided to NBC News in response to a Freedom of Information request.

The clinic, based in Lake Elmo, Minn., describes itself on its website as offering "quality Christian counseling" for a large number of mental health problems ranging from "anger management" to addictions and eating disorders.

The $161,000 in payments from the Minnesota Department of Human Services to her husband's clinic appear to contradict some of Michelle Bachmann's public accounts this week when she was first asked about the extent to which her family has benefited from government aid. Contacted this afternoon, Alice Stewart, a spokeswoman for Bachmann, said the congresswoman was doing campaign events and was not immediately available for comment.

Questions about the Bachmann family's receipt of government funds arose this week after a Los Angeles Times story reported that a family farm in which Michelle Bachmann is a partner had received nearly $260,000 in federal farm subsidies.

When asked by anchor Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday" about the story's assertion that her husband's counseling clinic had also gotten federal and state funds, Bachmann replied that it was "one-time training money that came from the federal government. And it certainly didn't help our clinic."

At another point, she said, "My husband and I did not get the money," adding that it was "mental health training money that went to the employees."

But state records show that Bachmann & Associates has been collecting payments under the Minnesota's Medicaid program every year for the past six years. Karen Smigielski, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Human Services, said the state's Medicaid program is funded "about 50-50" with federal and state monies. The funds to Bachmann & Associates are for the treatment of low-income mentally ill patients and are based on a "fee for service" basis, meaning the clinic was reimbursed by Medicaid for the services it provided.

Smigielski added that these were not the only government funds that Bachmann & Associates has received. The clinic also participates in managed-care plans that are reimbursed under a separate state-funded Minnesota Health Care program. But the state does not have any records of payment information to the individual clinics that participate. (During her Fox News appearance, Bachmann was not asked about Medicaid payments, and she made no mention of them.)

Another state official, Patrice Vick, communications manager for the Human Services Department, said she was puzzled by Michelle Bachmann's assertion on the broadcast that the funds under the state grant went to employees. While the grant was to train employees to help them treat chemical dependency, the money did not go directly to those being trained, she said. "It went to the clinic," Vick said.

"The contract was with the clinic," Vick added later. But she had no immediate information about whether the clinic passed it along directly to the employees being trained or used it to cover its costs of training.

The issue of her receipt of government aid has gotten attention because Bachmann, a Tea Party favorite, has been a fierce critic of federal spending programs and has called for drastic cutbacks. This has especially been the case on health care, including the expansions of Medicaid called for under the new health care law.

When Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton signed an executive order earlier this year expanding the state's Medicaid program for more than 95,000 state residents, Bachmann was joined state Republican lawmakers in denouncing the move.

"Right now, Governor Dayton is wanting to commit Minnesota taxpayers to add even more welfare recipients on the welfare rolls at a very great cost," Bachmann said at a news conference in St. Paul in January.

"She's giving hypocrisy a bad name," said Ron Pollock, executive director of Families USA, a consumer health care advocacy group, when asked about the Medicaid payments to Bachmann & Associates. "It's clear when it feathers her nest she's happy for Medicaid expenditures. But people that really need it — folks with disabilities and seniors — she's turning their backs on them."

Seshmeister
06-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Terrible misuse of tax payers money.

'Jesus says don't be angry'.

cha ching

FORD
06-29-2011, 12:48 PM
You'll never guess where her hubby "Dr." Marcus graduated from.... Pat Robertson's "Regent University"

I swear I couldn't make this shit up if I tried :lmao:

Marcus Bachmann, PhD

Clinic President, Clinical Therapist
Education: MA – Regent University, VA
PhD – Clinical Psychology, Union Graduate School, OH
Years of experience: 23

Specializing in: Marriage and Family, Depression/Anxiety, Anger Management, Family of Origin Issues, and Conference/Seminar Speaking.

Works with ages 5 and older

Personal Mission Statement: I believe my call is to minister to the needs of people in a practical, effective, and sensitive way. Christ is the Almighty Counselor. My wife and I are the parents of 5 children and have been foster parents to more than 20 children.

I've heard from various sources that their clinic claims to "cure" homosexuality, but if so, it's not advertized on their website.
http://www.bachmanncounseling.com/

Seshmeister
06-29-2011, 12:59 PM
If they want to act like fucking idiot holes then that's one thing but to prey on the weak is sick and to do it using tax payers money is worse.

Why is this not covered by the separation of church and state?

Hardrock69
06-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Be nice if the clinic could cure their level of intellect and reduce them to a blubbering idiot...oh wait....Michelle has already taken that treatment....my bad.

FORD
06-29-2011, 02:06 PM
<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:390868" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/390868/june-28-2011/michele-bachmann-compares-herself-to-john-wayne">The Colbert Report</a></b><br/>Get More: <a href='http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/'>Colbert Report Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a>,<a href='http://www.colbertnation.com/video'>Video Archive</a></p></div></div>

FORD
06-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Katrina and the Waves Join Tom Petty's Fight Against Michele Bachmann
Bachmann played their 1985 hit 'Walking On Sunshine' at a campaign event
Reuters/Haynes/Landov

Katrina & The Waves – whose 1985 song "Walking On Sunshine" was played by Michele Bachmann at a South Carolina campaign rally on Tuesday – have issued a statement on their website:

Katrina & The Waves would like it to be known that they do not endorse the use of 'Walking On Sunshine' by Michele Bachmann and have instructed their lawyers accordingly.

Michelle Bachmann's Holy War

The group is the second musical act this week to object to the Minnesota Congresswoman's usage of their music. Tom Petty sent the Bachmann campaign a cease and desist letter after she used his song "American Girl" at her campaign kick-off in Iowa on Monday. At a rally the following day, she played 29 seconds of "American Girl" before "Walking On Sunshine" kicked in. Looks like she'll have to find a third song now. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Rolling Stone has received a statement from Katrina Leskanich, former lead singer of Katrina & The Waves:

As the singer of 'Walking on Sunshine' I don't endorse its use by Michele Bachmann's presidential campaign. I've performed ‘Walking on Sunshine’ for so many years in so many different countries that it’s become the one constant in my life and the one thing I can count on to bring happiness to myself and others. The song is used in commercials and movies as a vehicle for a feel good moment or empowerment but if I disagree with the policies, opinions or platforms for its use, I've no choice but to try and defend the song and prevent its misuse. Music can be both powerful and moving and sometimes even a little dangerous.

Well this is certainly shocking! Who knew Katrina & The Waves had a website?? :biggrin:

Unchainme
06-29-2011, 05:49 PM
^
Steve Savicki probably knew.

Nitro Express
06-29-2011, 05:51 PM
I bet Sammy would let Bachman use his music. They both are nuts, annoying, and love attention.

Nitro Express
06-29-2011, 06:00 PM
If they want to act like fucking idiot holes then that's one thing but to prey on the weak is sick and to do it using tax payers money is worse.

It should be a big no no if his mental clinic is ran by a church. If he is a private contractor then that's the norm.

Nitro Express
06-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Come to think of it, it is the nutjobs that run the asylum. :biggrin:

You can't make this shit up. A Pat Robertson alumni running a loony farm with welfare money.

Nitro Express
06-29-2011, 06:08 PM
You know who Glenn BecKKK prays to........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3BqLZ8UoZk

If Glen wears his magical underwear 24/7, becomes the church leader's gimp, and pays all the money the church requires he just may make it back to Kolob and receive his own universe which he will rule while making spirit children with his billions and billions of goddess wives. Apparently the Mormon God has lots of sex.

FORD
06-29-2011, 06:09 PM
I bet Sammy would let Bachman use his music. They both are nuts, annoying, and love attention.

And Hagar is definitely a Repuke (http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?st=CA&last=Hagar&first=Sammy). Maybe he wouldn't mind? Probably not the Van Hagar stuff though, since I believe the Sisters didn't like Grandpa McCain using "Right Now".

FORD
06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
In Major Gaffe, Bachmann Confuses Ass, Hole in Ground
Misspeaks about Grand Canyon

ARIZONA (The Borowitz Report) – In a fledgling campaign that has already produced more than its share of gaffes, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn) today confused her ass with a hole in the ground during a campaign swing through Arizona.

Speaking to a group of supporters in Phoenix, Rep. Bachmann raised eyebrows when she said, “It’s great to be here in Arizona, the home of my ass.”

After her comment was greeted with confused murmurs from the crowd, Rep. Bachmann quickly added, “Oh wait, did I say my ass? I meant the Grand Canyon.”

Being unable to tell her ass from a hole in the ground, especially a prominent one such as the Grand Canyon, is only one of many challenges facing Rep. Bachmann in her quest for the Presidency, according to political science professor Davis Logsdon of the University of Minnesota.

“Michele Bachmann is a staunch believer in the theory of Intelligent Design,” he said. “However, Intelligent Design cannot explain Michele Bachmann.”

But Dr. Logsdon added that Rep. Bachmann remains an attractive candidate, especially for those Republican voters who find former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin “too cerebral.”

“When Sarah Palin looks at Michele Bachmann, she must feel the way the Jonas Brothers feel about Justin Bieber,” he said.

In other political news, GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said today that “marriage must be defined as the union between a man, a woman, and the man’s staff member at the time.”

BigBadBrian
06-30-2011, 03:53 PM

And why would it be?

Nickdfresh
06-30-2011, 11:25 PM
I don't know much....

Brian, you should have just stopped there...

Seshmeister
07-01-2011, 04:40 AM
And why would it be?

They take money from tax payers to tell superstitious fairy tales to people with mental problems.

I'm sorry if my point was confusing.

FORD
07-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Marcus Bachmann (Michelle's Pat Robertson Univerity "educated" husband) thinks gays are "Barbarians".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfFplKYRnqA

FORD
07-02-2011, 01:36 PM
They certainly aren't NEW Barbarians, in any event....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ThS6mFPkxU

Nickdfresh
07-02-2011, 04:51 PM
And Hagar is definitely a Repuke (http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?st=CA&last=Hagar&first=Sammy). Maybe he wouldn't mind? Probably not the Van Hagar stuff though, since I believe the Sisters didn't like Grandpa McCain using "Right Now".

Sam's face really looks like he has hit the booze hard for a bit...

FORD
07-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Marcus Bachmann - so flamingly queer he makes George Michael look butch by comparison.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU66lIHW1dU

Unchainme
07-06-2011, 09:02 PM
In his defense, I've..no joke, ran into a guy that was the epitome of queer in terms of mannerisms, lisps and interests when I was a kid being dragged along with a friend of the family...

...Happily Married...to a women...

...with three kids....

...was quite the mind fuck....

Seshmeister
07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Marcus Bachmann (Michelle's Pat Robertson Univerity "educated" husband) thinks gays are "Barbarians".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfFplKYRnqA

This is the fairy that runs classes to 'cure' gays? :biggrin:

FORD
07-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Yeah, you can see how well it's worked for him. Of course being married to her would probably make any man want to give up pussy.

Seshmeister
07-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Ignoring any morality one way or the other here is a summary of the science and evidence about curing gays. http://skeptoid.com/audio/skeptoid-4265.mp3

Nitro Express
07-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Oral Roberts explains what hole to stick your dick in.

Nitro Express
07-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Gayness can't be cured. This proves it.

http://youtu.be/MA314KTTcbQ

Seshmeister
07-06-2011, 10:47 PM

Seems I may have been on to something...

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/06/30/257489/bachmann-clinic-proselytize/

FORD
07-06-2011, 10:49 PM

This explains a lot about Michelle Bachmann's mental state.... Those "sex education" classes at Oral Roberts University sent her over the edge. :lmao:

Little Texan
07-06-2011, 10:50 PM

A guy named "Oral" is telling you what hole to stick it in.

Nitro Express
07-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Now we know why Michele is so mind fucked. Oral, Anal, Vagina, Male organ. No wonder she thinks the grand canyon is her ass.

LoungeMachine
07-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Gayness can't be cured.

Blame us straights.....

We're the ones who keep having gay babies

:gulp:

Unchainme
07-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Michelle Bachmann sounds like the sort of women that Jello Biafra would make a song about..something about the effect of Nazi PTA moms..

Jagermeister
07-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I'll just say this. Rolling Stone had a lengthy article on her slinging trash on her like they tend to do on people they are afraid of. This just shortly after she through her hat in the ring. You know it's a shame that people read that shit and get brain washed by it. lol pointed her her lack of real legislative high points among other stupid shit. Never mind the fact the current President had over all less legislative experiance.

At best she will be a VP nom.

Nitro Express
07-08-2011, 02:55 AM
Obama had the advantage of having the image of being the new and improved product. In reality he turned out to be just another for sale politician during a time when we desperately need a real leader with ethics.

Unchainme
07-08-2011, 12:30 PM
BREAKING: Bachmann pledges to ban pornography | Tonight, Michele Bachmann became the first presidential candidate to sign a pledge created by THE FAMiLY LEADER, an influential social-conservative group in Iowa. By signing the pledge Bachmann “vows” to “uphold the institution of marriage as only between one man and one woman” by committing herself to 14 specifics steps. The ninth step calls for the banning of “all forms” of pornography. The pledge also states that homosexuality is both a choice and a health risk. You can read all the details of the pledge here.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/07/07/263476/breaking-bachmann-pledges-to-ban-pornography/

FUCKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUU! FUCKING CUNT!! STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM MY PORN!

This women can't be for real. She just can't. She reads like the one televangelist that won the election in "Escape from LA".

Unchainme
07-08-2011, 12:39 PM
First they came for the Muslims,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Muslim.

Then they came for the women having abortions,
and I didn't speak out because I'm not a women.

Then they came for the Gays,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Gay.

Then they came for the Porn
and it was at that point I went off the deepend.

Jagermeister
07-08-2011, 12:57 PM
:biggrin:

FORD
07-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Marcus talks about Bieber and prom dresses.... :homoswitch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAYZ_y5FfBo

Nitro Express
07-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Ban pornography. Well since the government ran over the US Constitution and Bill of Rights why not. Bachman has no more respect for the First Amendment than Obama or Bush had for it.

standin
07-09-2011, 09:27 PM
My porn is safe. I am very trustworthy with naked pictures of other people. People are just not afraid to get naked for my camera. This is a good thing.

Seshmeister
07-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Just sent you a PM...

standin
07-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Thank you very much for the PM, Sesh! What a nice gesture! I am so pleased! Which one did you select to send? I venture that you sent David Cameron!
He is a looker with that Ivory Soap scrubbed clean appearance!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/Official-photo-cameron.png/245px-Official-photo-cameron.png
PMs are quite practical, functional, and helpful. Thank you for keeping the Oolite cause in mind :daisy:

Cheers!

Nitro Express
07-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Why stop there? How about a House of Commons naked calendar?:biggrin:

Seshmeister
07-10-2011, 07:06 PM
A look around the House of Commons proves the old saying that politics is showbusiness for ugly people. :)

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/assets/library/090610margaretbeckett--124463192795332500.jpg

Nitro Express
07-10-2011, 07:51 PM
She should be the centerfold. :barf:

FORD
07-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Dr. Seinfeld helps Jon Stewart with his "comedy repression therapy"......

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:thedailyshow.com:391808" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-july-13-2011/comedy-repression-therapy">The Daily Show - Comedy Repression Therapy</a></b><br/>Get More: <a href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a>,<a href='http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow'>The Daily Show on Facebook</a></p></div></div>

FORD
07-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Fred Karger seeks discussion on 'ex-gay' therapy
By Lynda Waddington | 07.15.11 | 3:17 pm

Political strategist and 2012 GOP presidential candidate Fred Karger has challenged Marcus Bachmann, husband of U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, to a debate on gay conversion therapy.

“As the first out gay candidate for president, I have first-hand knowledge about a subject in which you claim expertise,” Karger wrote in an email to Marcus issuing the challenge.

The controversial practice was shown to be used at Christian counseling clinics co-owned by the Bachmanns when undercover video was released by Vermont-based Truth Wins Out, a gay-rights advocacy group that opposes such therapy. (The American Medical Association and other professional medical and psychological groups also oppose the therapy.) To compound the issue, Bachmann & Associates has taken in thousands of dollars in state and federal funding over the past several years. The undercover video confirmed rumors that had swirled for years — rumors that Marcus had denied in 2006.

Since the video surfaced, the Bachmann campaign has gone into lockdown mode. Media calls to the clinics regarding the therapy were redirected to Bachmann’s campaign spokeswoman.

That changed Friday when Marcus provided an interview to the Star Tribune:

… Marcus Bachmann said counselors at his clinics follow the wishes of patients and don’t force any treatment.

“This individual came to us under a false pretense,” Bachmann said. “The truth of the matter is he specifically asked for help.” …

Bachmann didn’t deny that he or other counselors at Bachmann & Associates have attempted to convert gay patients, but he said it is not a special interest of the business and would only be attempted at the client’s request.

“Will I address it? Certainly we’ll talk about it,” Bachmann said. “Is it a remedy form that I typically would use? … It is at the client’s discretion.” …

“We don’t have an agenda or a philosophy of trying to change someone,” Bachmann said. …

Karger’s email challenge to Marcus Bachmann is reprinted below:

Marcus Bachmann you are convinced that someone can “pray away the gay” and actually own two clinics in Minnesota where you and your 27 therapists actually practice this falsehood. Just last year you referred to gays and lesbian teenagers as “Barbarians, who need to be educated.”

Michele links the acceptance of gays and lesbians to Satan.

There is no place for this type of hate-speak and 19th Century thinking in the current presidential campaign. Michele and you refuse to comment about your past statements and beliefs. America needs to hear directly about where both of you stand on this issue which affects millions of lives.

Marcus Bachmann come out of the closet and debate me.

I will meet you anywhere, any place at any time, even at one of your clinics in Minnesota.

As the first out gay candidate for president, I have first-hand knowledge about a subject which you claim expertise. Let me know if you accept this challenge.

Link (http://minnesotaindependent.com/84638/gay-gop-candidate-marcus-bachmann-come-out-of-the-closet-and-debate-me)

FORD
07-16-2011, 12:43 PM
"God told me to marry this fag. I didn't even like him......."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af4cRJ8A308

SunisinuS
07-16-2011, 01:04 PM
"God told me to marry this fag. I didn't even like him......."

Weird.

FORD
07-16-2011, 01:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-w7QAEWudQ

Seshmeister
07-16-2011, 01:10 PM
What happens if one day the voices in her head tell her to launch a nuclear strike?

Nitro Express
07-16-2011, 01:22 PM
My mom's advice on marriage is if you don't see fireworks and sparks don't fly out of her ass, run like fucking hell!:biggrin:

Nickdfresh
07-16-2011, 07:24 PM
What happens if one day the voices in her head tell her to launch a nuclear strike?

With this ridiculous crop of shitheaded, completely unqualified Teabagger candidates that seem so comically out of touch that they parody themselves like the most simplistic movie caricature of a political and social idiot, I'm feeling this is more and more like a real possibility:

chefcraig
07-16-2011, 08:02 PM
http://img1.imagehousing.com/84/4e78e7cde23acb1e27a27516e91e6b54.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/800729)

FORD
07-16-2011, 08:19 PM
I'll bet Marcus loves those guys :lmao:

FORD
07-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Gay Barbarians visit Marcus Bachmann's clinic..... :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCUX5rDPlis

Unchainme
07-23-2011, 04:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_uiudt_Kiw&feature=related

This needs posted like mad.

everywhere on the planet.

Tea Party-outsider candidate my ass.

FORD
07-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Michelle's hot for Chimpy?? Bet Marcus is too. Double puke :sick0020::sick0020:

kwame k
07-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Goddamn.....WTF are the Repukes doing?

I'm the classic "whore voter" I vote for the person not the club they belong to but.....it's like the Dubya years have sucked the life out of the Grand Ole Party.......I know the country hasn't recovered from the Dubya years but you'd think the Party would have a better selection than these morons.

Or maybe the Repukes know something we ourselves are afraid to admit......we're fucked, time to lay low because anyone who's sane doesn't want to be in charge of this cluster fuck!

Unchainme
07-29-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n1A0xhrep0A

Yup, a real Tea Party candidate! A real change from what we've seen in years past.

Fucking Douche-tube.

She needs to GTFO.

jhale667
07-29-2011, 11:56 AM
She's an idiot. I love how she wants to do away with farm subsidies (AFTER her family farm's check clears, of course) and the fact that her closet-case husband's "clinic" gets my tax dollars to "pray away the gay" from people (yeah, like that'll work) makes me want to puke.

Jagermeister
07-29-2011, 12:12 PM
We should rename this board to the RothArmyDemocraticCaucus.

Nitro Express
07-29-2011, 01:44 PM
I would say we have found out who the real Michel Bachman is and she's certainly not the person you want running the executive branch. If I had a dollar for every person who voted for Obama that said they want their vote back I would be a rich man. People need to peel the whole PR sugar coating away and all the social hype and look at the person running and disect them. What Obama really is should be no surprise if people did a little bit of real research on him instead of getting their balls tickled by all the social euphoria and media promotion. We can't afford another round of that stupidity on either side of the isle.

The problem with politics is nobody qualified wants to run. They would rather put their effort forward in the private sector than dealing with cess pool called politics. So you have all sorts of low characters and narcisists flooding into politics for the power, the attention, and the money. Most of these people outside of the game of getting elected aren't that smart and are usually a bought puppet.

The real problem is the choice we have to choose and in this age of brainless television it's usually the person who can generate enough media hype and illusion that wins.

FORD
07-29-2011, 01:50 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again..... our best chance to save this country was stolen from us in Iowa in 2004.

Nitro Express
07-29-2011, 01:55 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again..... our best chance to save this country was stolen from us in Iowa in 2004.

Howard Dean was obviously set up and they used the media to crucify him on that yell he did which was nothing. Dean got ass fucked by the media and Obama is totally protected by the media. Sure you have the conservative propagandist going after him but in general Obama has the media and Howard Dean was pissed on by the same media. It basically tells you Obama sold his soul to the devil and Dean did not.

jhale667
07-29-2011, 01:58 PM
We should rename this board to the RothArmyDemocraticCaucus.

Riiight...How's that Republican Congress workin' out for you there, Skippy?

Jagermeister
07-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Riiight...How's that Republican Congress workin' out for you there, Skippy?

I assume you are refering to that fact that they can't pass a bill that the Democratic Senate won't pronounce DOA even before it has passed. :umm:

I am pissed at both sides right now.

FORD
07-29-2011, 02:22 PM
End the wars. Tax the rich. Problem solved.

There's my bill. Even the pizza guy can't complain about that. He wants all bills to be three pages or less. Mine's three lines.

Jagermeister
07-29-2011, 02:23 PM
:biggrin:

Jagermeister
07-29-2011, 02:26 PM
I would have been in favor of Cut Cap and Balance but you know all the Blue people want to raise taxes. I am not a big believer in rasing taxes on anyone except the prople on welfare.:biggrin:

Unchainme
07-29-2011, 02:57 PM
The idea of the "Tea Party" and the way it's presented, I don't think is a bad one. I believe those that were sucked into it, truly had the best intentions in mind and were upset with the way the Country has been run for the past 12 years or so.

Problem is..it started up as probably something meant to be completely independent of the mainstream was hijacked by the Koch brothers and others to push their own means much like the government itself.

So instead of a party that was supposed to represent itself as a party for the common man, for the man fed up with how large the government is, and would like to see them working for their constituents and not some lobbyists, they've become exactly what they've supposedly rallied against...

..and so in walks Bachmann, someone who in my eyes is some batshit dangerous women that should be nowhere near the oval office and is not remotely qualified to run, branding herself with that label so she looks "street" and "legit". Because running as an even more bible-thumping less qualified version of Dubya clearly wouldn't cut it for her ultimate goal.

My ideal is to do away with parties and just vote solely on the persons qualifications, what they've done to represent their district in a positive way, and their character. They shouldn't be voting solely on party line, they should be voting for what's best for their country, their state and their district. I also believe that this would allow many voters who would just simply vote on party line, to do their homework and learn more about who's running. Who knows that Joe Sixpack down the street may have a damn good plan politically but sure doesn't have the respect he deserves by not being associated with a major political party.

Fuck the dude could be socialist for all I care, but if he reaches a certain amount of qualifications, I'd have ZERO problems with that. Just be honest, intelligent, articulate and a good person, you'd have my vote

Of course, there's Jello's plan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhBEkiu0DgE

Unchainme
08-02-2011, 08:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP4hYkfwuTY&playnext=1&list=PL6394FFAD6344C19B

and my response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

"Al Jazeera telling kids to overthrow the government?"

Really Michelle? and have you actually MET someone from Europe..or actually been there?

dumbass.

standin
08-02-2011, 09:36 PM
The idea of the "Tea Party" and the way it's presented, I don't think is a bad one. I believe those that were sucked into it, truly had the best intentions in mind and were upset with the way the Country has been run for the past 12 years or so.

Problem is..it started up as probably something meant to be completely independent of the mainstream was hijacked by the Koch brothers and others to push their own means much like the government itself.

So instead of a party that was supposed to represent itself as a party for the common man, for the man fed up with how large the government is, and would like to see them working for their constituents and not some lobbyists, they've become exactly what they've supposedly rallied against...

..and so in walks Bachmann, someone who in my eyes is some batshit dangerous women that should be nowhere near the oval office and is not remotely qualified to run, branding herself with that label so she looks "street" and "legit". Because running as an even more bible-thumping less qualified version of Dubya clearly wouldn't cut it for her ultimate goal.

My ideal is to do away with parties and just vote solely on the persons qualifications, what they've done to represent their district in a positive way, and their character. They shouldn't be voting solely on party line, they should be voting for what's best for their country, their state and their district. I also believe that this would allow many voters who would just simply vote on party line, to do their homework and learn more about who's running. Who knows that Joe Sixpack down the street may have a damn good plan politically but sure doesn't have the respect he deserves by not being associated with a major political party.

Fuck the dude could be socialist for all I care, but if he reaches a certain amount of qualifications, I'd have ZERO problems with that. Just be honest, intelligent, articulate and a good person, you'd have my vote

Of course, there's Jello's plan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhBEkiu0DgE

Which of the Founding Fathers were against political parties?
And where can I read their opinions on the subject?

They were against political parties; especially George Washingtonin his Farewell Address.

Warns against the party system. "It serves to distract the Public Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration....agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one....against another....it opens the door to foreign influence and corruption...thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100104100238AAW1Adx

Why arguments did the founding fathers have against political parties?

Answer
Our Founding Fathers called political parties "factions" because they believed that such groups that held differing opinions were harmful to our national unity. In Federalist Paper Number Ten, James Madison argued against political parties. He said , "The public good is disregarded in the conflicts of rival parties . . ." In his Farewell Address, George Washington also warned against the creation of political parties. He called them "baneful," very harmful, for the nation.

MrV

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_arguments_did_the_founding_fathers_have_agains t_political_parties

Nitro Express
08-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Who feared the Tea Party movement the most was the Republicans. The Democrats weren't going anywhere but the Republicans were in real danger of losing a good part of their base to a new movement. So they took it over using Sarah Palin, Michel Bachman, and some others. The Republicans main fear is the Tea Party would become a legitimate party with lots of financial backing and members and it would threaten their existence.

I still think it's a losing battle because at the end of the day it's the voter and the voter is tired of politics as usual. It doesn't matter if a new party develops or an old one is cleaned up. The result is the same. It's not so much a left against right thing but a grass roots movement against embedded career politicians. They have ruined our country and it's time for them to go. A lot of people will have their political careers ruined in 2012.

FORD
08-02-2011, 10:20 PM
The teabaggers were a false "movement" from the beginning. Dick Armey is a KKKoch puppet, and he's the one who started this horseshit sending all the racist lunatics with guns out to disrupt the health care town meetings in 2009. Which scared the spineless pussies in Congress into taking any REAL reform out of the bill (i.e. a public option to compete with the corporatist insurance criminals)

Nitro Express
08-02-2011, 10:27 PM
The teabaggers were a false "movement" from the beginning. Dick Armey is a KKKoch puppet, and he's the one who started this horseshit sending all the racist lunatics with guns out to disrupt the health care town meetings in 2009. Which scared the spineless pussies in Congress into taking any REAL reform out of the bill (i.e. a public option to compete with the corporatist insurance criminals)

Right. I've often thought the idiots going to public rallies and meetings with guns might have been put there by someone trying to discredit a grass roots movement. I saw a movement brewing around Ron Paul and it was not necessarily a conservative only movement. Ron runs as a Republican because it's the only way he can get on the ballots. But he was on Hannity and Hannity treated him like shit. Rachel Maddow treated Ron Paul respectful but the Republican mouthpieces shit on him. Why? Ron will end the wars and the tow the line Republicans want to keep the wars going and expand them. If anything, Obama could be considered a Republican because of his war policy. The truth is, the general public are tired of the wars and the war on terror hype is wearing thin.

Unchainme
08-02-2011, 10:41 PM

To be fair FORD, I can recall during the '08 election a lot of Ron Paul supporters were calling into shows like Limbaugh, Hannity, and company telling them about some sort of "Tea Party" they were having to supposedly protest how both sides of the aisle were fucking up America. Of course each time they called in, they were dismissed as Quacks, and whackjobs and told to get off the air.

I'm seeing it as something started by the Paul campaign that got....waayyyyyy out of hand and got hijacked by a bunch of special and corporate interests.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Well, well, well........

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/10/michele-bachmann-stimulus_n_922851.html

Michele Bachmann Repeatedly Sought Stimulus, EPA, Other Government Funds

WASHINGTON -- Few candidates in the Republican presidential primary field have decried the federal government with as much gusto as Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.). The three-term congresswoman has belittled the stimulus package, deemed the Obama administration both corrupt and "gangster," and lamented the "orgy" of spending she sees happening in Washington.

The contempt has served her well, helping her craft the type of fiscally conservative, anti-government message that has catapulted her into frontrunner status for the Iowa Caucus and, more immediately, Saturday's crucial Ames Straw Poll.

But it's simply not supported by the Minnesota Republican's actual record.

A Freedom of Information Act request filed by The Huffington Post with three separate federal agencies reveals that on at least 16 separate occasions, Bachmann petitioned the federal government for direct financial help or aid. A large chunk of those requests were for funds set aside through President Obama's stimulus program, which Bachmann once labeled "fantasy economics." Bachmann made two more of those requests to the Environmental Protection Agency, an institution that she has suggested she would eliminate if she were in the White House.

Taken as a whole, the letters underscore what Bachmann's critics describe as a glaring distance between her campaign oratory and her actual conduct as a lawmaker. Combined with previous revelations that Bachmann personally relied on a federally subsidized home loan while her husband's business benefited from Medicaid payments, it appears that one of the Tea Party's most cherished members has demonstrated that the government does, in fact, play a constructive role -- at least in her life and district.

"It had been a longstanding tradition in Congress to be fiscally conservative in every other district other than your own," said John Feehery, president of QGA Communications and a top adviser to former Speaker of the House J. Dennis Hastert. "Bachmann apparently is being a traditionalist."

A traditionalist, perhaps, but only when the cameras are off. When President Obama crafted a $787 billion stimulus package that included historic investments in state aid, infrastructure projects, health care and education reforms as well as a large swath of tax breaks, Bachmann led a chorus of conservatives in decrying the policy.

“During the last 100 days we have seen an orgy [of spending]," she said of the stimulus and auto industry bailout during a conference in Minnesota on May 4, 2009. "It would make any local smorgasbord embarrassed."

Less than three weeks later, she went looking for her piece of the pie.

On May 20, 2009, Bachmann wrote Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, asking him to look into an application for aid that the city of Big Lake, Minn., had made to "develop and finance the Big Lake Rail Park," which she described as "an ambitious commercial and industrial complex which will enhance economic development and job opportunities in this rural Minnesota community." Toward the end of the letter, she added: "We must work together to ensure job creators have access to the vital credit they need to make projects like this a success."

On May 22, 2009, she wrote Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood asking for support for the St. Cloud, Minn., Metropolitan Transit Commission's application for federal funds to "replace twenty-three 35-foot transit buses with compressed natural gas (CNG) powered buses."

On June 4, 2009, she wrote LaHood again seeking grant funding to extend the Northstar Corridor commuter service from Big Lake to St. Cloud.

On June 19, 2009, she made an "urgent" request to LaHood to reverse a decision by the Federal Highway Administration that undermined a project in Waite Park, Minn. The project, she noted, had already received $2.578 million in federal funding through the stimulus package and was "only awaiting the final determination" from the FHWA.

On July 2, 2009, she wrote LaHood again, pleading for money for road improvements in Waite Park. She added that she was "pleased to learn" that Minnesota's Department of Transportation was not going to "pull the nearly $2.8 million in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funding set aside for the project."

On Sept. 15, 2009, Bachmann wrote six separate letters to LaHood asking for help funding six projects (the Northstar line among them) through the Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant program. The Center for Public Integrity and MinnPost has previously reported on those letters.

On Oct. 5, 2009, she wrote Vilsack again, praising him for putting money into the nation's beleaguered pork industry and encouraging him to help "stabilize prices through direct government purchasing."

Five days later, she was chastising the concept of government spending in public, saying that the president's efforts to stem the fallout of the recession amounted to a charade. "We hear about fantasy football games. This is fantasy economics," Bachmann said.

That the Department of Transportation was the primary target of Bachmann's quest for federal funds isn't surprising. The congresswoman has a record of trying to protect infrastructure projects from her party's budget cutters, arguing that transportation projects should be exempt from the ban on earmarks that the House of Representatives instituted in November 2010. She was also far from the only conservative who attempted to get her hands on some of the $12 billion in funds that DOT received under the stimulus.

"Some members refuse to take stimulus and won't have anything to do with getting government transit money flowing into their states. Others will say that they are against the idea of the stimulus or federal money flowing into the economy but if the money is there, they are going to try and get that money flowing into their district," said Brian Darling, a senior fellow in government studies at The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank.

But that doesn't necessarily absolve Bachmann from attacks from her fellow party members, Darling continued.

"Some conservatives won't like it," he said. "No two ways about it. They will look at it and not like it because they don't want members trying to funnel money back to their state."

Even more problematic, however, could be Bachmann's attempts to get money and assistance from the EPA, an agency that she once said should be "renamed the job-killing organization of America."

In February 2007, well before Obama was in office, Bachmann co-signed a letter to the EPA urging its officials to help fund technical assistance programs and rural water initiatives "in small communities across Minnesota." The authors of the letter, which included nearly the entire Minnesota congressional delegation at the time, noted that FY 2006 funding for the National Rural Water Association had been set at $11 million.

"We need to continue these efforts in 2007," they wrote.

In other communications with the EPA, Bachmann was far colder to agency policy, criticizing spring 2009 federal management standards for coal combustion byproducts and 2008 National Ambient Air Quality standards. But in other instances, Bachmann turned to the EPA for constituent-related problems. In a Feb. 2, 2010, letter to EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson, she asked the agency to support a $270,806 grant application (filed with the EPA's Clean Diesel Grant Program) that would help a St. Cloud bus company replace two older motor coach vehicles.

"Voigt's Bus Service, with Community Transportation, Incorporated, is committed to bringing long-term benefits to the environment and the economy and they wish to accomplish this through the Clean Diesel Grant Program," she wrote.

More than the specific funding requests, it is Bachmann's private acknowledgement that the EPA can facilitate positive outcomes for both the environment and the economy that stands out for conservative activists. On her campaign website, after all, Bachmann refers to the EPA as the "Job Killing Agency."

"There is a line between representing your district and then trying to lard up on all of this pork spending, pun intended," said Bill Wilson, President of Americans for Limited Government. "There are very few in Congress who have been able to stand strong and say, 'No I'm not going to do this.' And they are, in our view, the heroes … By not being part of that group [Rep. Bachmann] isn't unique, obviously. But I think that she would owe an explanation to the public as to why she did it. Why she asked for certain things, including things from EPA when she's been very vocal about the overreach of the EPA?"

Both Bachmann's presidential campaign and her congressional office did not return requests for comment for this article. In the past, the congresswoman has tried to draw a distinction between the national message she imparts and her professional responsibilities as a representative from Minnesota.

"It is my obligation as a member of Congress to ensure stimulus dollars are spent on the most worthy projects. I did just that when I supported applications for the TIGER grant program," she said last year.

While Bachmann clearly petitioned the federal government for help in multiple venues, she was incredibly unsuccessful in her efforts. Minnesota's sixth congressional district received more than $234 million in stimulus contracts, grants and loans, according to the Obama administration's Recovery.gov website. That may seem like a hefty bundle, but it ranks last among the state's eight congressional districts.

A Department of Transportation official, meanwhile, tells The Huffington Post that the federal government did not end up funding a single one of the projects for which Bachmann solicited help. The department did send funds to the Minnesota state government, which in turn backed transportation initiatives in the state. But the DOT official said that only a small sliver of that pool, if any, was likely to have ended up where Bachmann wanted.

In one instance, moreover, Bachmann wrote LaHood in support of the "Cold Spring Police Department's application for funding through the COPS hiring Recovery Program." That program, the DOT official confirmed, is operated by the Department of Justice. Bachmann was petitioning the wrong agency.

In the end, Bachmann's ineffectiveness in securing federal help for constituents doesn't mitigate the fact that she sought federal help in the first place. And for Republican primary voters, who have been fed a healthy diet of anti-government rhetoric during this election cycle, that may prove to be a blot on her record.

"This will come up in the context of the battle for the Republican nomination and it will be up to Mrs. Bachmann to explain these things adequately," said Craig Shirley, a longtime Republican operative. "The task for any good candidate is to explain why they did such and such which might not conform with party orthodoxy, and then pivot very quickly to convince enough primary voters why it is they who should be the nominee and not the other contenders."

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Not that damning really. Whether she liked it or not it was still her job to solicit those funds for her district. We built the shit out of bridges in my state with stimulus money. As far as I can tell the only thing it did was make it hard to get around town and put a bunch of mexicans to work. Really it didn't do a thing to improve unemployment.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Not that damning really. Whether she liked it or not it was still her job to solicit those funds for her district.

So it's OK for her to blast Obama and his spending in one breath, and then beg for funds in the next?

M'kay....

Unchainme
08-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Wait, she said she'd abolish the EPA? really?

That's fucking dumb. I'm no environmentalist..but yeah, that's fucking dumb.

Scary, Scary Women.

FORD
08-10-2011, 01:13 PM
She's one of those fundagelical wackjobs who believes its perfectly OK to destroy the environment, because Jesus will definitely do that Rapture thing before shit gets too bad down here. Hell, I went to high school with a guy who literally thought Reagan should have launched the nukes against the USSR, because "Jesus would beam us up before the missiles hit".

Seriously, they believe that shit. :headlights:

jhale667
08-10-2011, 01:21 PM
She's one of those fundagelical wackjobs who believes its perfectly OK to destroy the environment, because Jesus will definitely do that Rapture thing before shit gets too bad down here. Hell, I went to high school with a guy who literally thought Reagan should have launched the nukes against the USSR, because "Jesus would beam us up before the missiles hit".

Seriously, they believe that shit. :headlights:

Yep, and the reason they don't think climate change is making the world uninhabitable for humans is because they believe "Only god can destroy the earth". Well, what if the invisible sky daddy decides the way he wants to destroy it is by letting his so-called "followers" do it FOR him??

They are beyond fucked in the head. And Bachmann's retarded social, environmental and religious views (not understanding the need for separation of church and state) should automatically disqualify her as a candidate. Same with Rick Perry. They shouldn't even be considered qualified to be dog catchers for their respective states, much less POTUS.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
So it's OK for her to blast Obama and his spending in one breath, and then beg for funds in the next?

M'kay....

My congressman voted no on that bill but we still received money from the stimulus. So she talks out of both sides of her mouth. Big deal. Democrats do that all the time. Really not that big of a deal. Certainly this alone will not knock her status down that much.

jhale667
08-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Here's where Batshit...I mean Bachmann's disturbing religious ideology developed...not re-posting the whole thing here, but SHE IS NUTS...

http://bit.ly/o38Jdv

Also on her "must read" list is a book by a Civil-War historical revisionist who claims black people were "better off as slaves"... (cough - BULLSHIT) :dafinger: which is a recurring thing for this c*nt...it's also in that fucked up pledge she signed recently. She's a scumbag - no ifs, ands, or buts about it. :fufu:

Unchainme
08-10-2011, 02:54 PM
ahhhh, yes, this explains it.

She's a calvinist.

From all experiences I've had and ran into, those people are holier-than-thou assholes, with little tolerance for others.

jhale667
08-10-2011, 02:56 PM
ahhhh, yes, this explains it.

She's a calvinist.

From all experiences I've had and ran into, those people are holier-than-thou assholes, with little tolerance for others.

Pretty much sums her up, and explains why she's that willfully ignorant about what really went on during slavery, and that she's idiotic enough to think "praying away the gay" works (when clearly it hasn't for her husband).

Unchainme
08-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Pretty much sums her up, and explains why she's that willfully ignorant about what really went on during slavery, and that she's idiotic enough to think "praying away the gay" works (when clearly it hasn't for her husband).

Yeah all the Churches I went to as a kid were rejections of that doctrine. Pretty much taught of a loving and forgiving God.

BTW, there was never an insertion of politics in the sermons or lessons I was taught. Strict life lessons.

FORD
08-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Lucky you. I went to a Baptist church where the Messiah worshipped by most was Ronald Reagan, NOT Jesus Christ.

Unchainme
08-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Lucky you. I went to a Baptist church where the Messiah worshipped by most was Ronald Reagan, NOT Jesus Christ.

Think the worst I ever got was them being all scared about Marilyn Manson (lived in the same town, actually went to the Christian School I attended for a year), and about why Abortion is wrong.

That's it.

jhale667
08-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah all the Churches I went to as a kid were rejections of that doctrine. Pretty much taught of a loving and forgiving God.

BTW, there was never an insertion of politics in the sermons or lessons I was taught. Strict life lessons.

That's what kills me...I went to parochial school for 12 years and even THEY knew to keep politics, science and religion separate. Worst they ever got was forbidding us to read "The Exorcist" (we all did) and they gave us shit for listening to VH and Ozzy - but at least they didn't have a disclaimer before science class "Don't believe any of this it's the devil's work!" y'know? Amazes me these fundaMENTAL idiots want to blur the lines, and claim their faith trumps empirical data. It's maddening.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Seperation of church isn't going to change. That is unless the muslims somehow manage to fuck it up.

That's what kills me...I went to parochial school for 12 years and even THEY knew to keep politics, science and religion separate. Worst they ever got was forbidding us to read "The Exorcist" (we all did) and they gave us shit for listening to VH and Ozzy - but at least they didn't have a disclaimer before science class "Don't believe any of this it's the devil's work!" y'know? Amazes me these fundaMENTAL idiots want to blur the lines, and claim their faith trumps empirical data. It's maddening.

jhale667
08-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Fuck you "relax", I'm totally calm dude, you're the one that's all Kool-Aid'ed up.

Seperation of church isn't going to change. That is unless the muslims somehow manage to fuck it up.

You're an idiot falling for Tea Potty talking points. THEY'RE the ones trying to make the country into "Jeebusville", dude - "Sharia Law" (which has zero chance of ever being recognized or superseding US law) is their smokescreen...and YOU FELL FOR IT, Mensa. They're playing on the fact that you hate everything you don't understand...which is quite a bit.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 03:37 PM
I will say this about Bachman. I don't think she is as crazy as jhale and FORD do but I do think she is way over rated so early in the show. Then I'll say this. If faced with a choice in 2012 between Obama and Bachman I will vote for Bachman without a doubt.

I really don't think she will carry that far though. I would be surprised as hell if she did. And if she does we are fucked becasue she won't win and we will be stuck in hell for 4 more years. That is terrifying.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Fuck you "relax", I'm totally calm dude, you're the one that's all Kool-Aid'ed up.

You're an idiot falling for Tea Potty talking points. THEY'RE the ones trying to make the country into "Jeebusville", dude - "Sharia Law" (which has zero chance of ever being recognized or superseding US law) is their smokescreen...and YOU FELL FOR IT, Mensa. They're playing on the fact that you hate everything you don't understand...which is quite a bit.

That's funny. You are just as big a bigot as I am. Maybe bigger. Religion is what you despise for whatever reason.

FORD
08-10-2011, 03:42 PM

If someone like Palin or Bachmann ever -God forbid- made it into the White House, with a teabagger congress and 5 BCE hacks - some of whom are Opus Dei, which is the Catholic branch of Dominionism, then I guarantee you the separation of church and state would be the first thing to go, and theocracy should be imposed.

Michelle Bachmann is a graduate of Oral Roberts University. Her closet fag "husband" is a graduate of Pat Robertson's Regent University. What does Pat say about the separation of church and state?

That was never in the Constitution, however much the liberals laugh at me for saying it, they know good and well it was never in the Constitution! Such language only appeared in the constitution of the Communist Soviet Union.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Michelle Bachmann is a graduate of Oral Roberts University. Her closet fag "husband" is a graduate of Pat Robertson's Regent University. What does Pat say about the separation of church and state?

For fuck sakes FORD. Just because she went to school at ORU doesn't make her crazy. Lot's of normal people go to school there and get a very high quality education.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-10-2011, 03:58 PM
For fuck sakes FORD. Just because she went to school at ORU doesn't make her crazy.

nope, just everything else about her :hee:

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 04:05 PM
nope, just everything else about her :hee:

Sure she has some fucked up things wrong with her. She apprently lies. (I think our persident lied to me in his campaign). She mixes up words. ( Like Obama did when he called corpsmen corpSman).

Yeah she has some fucked up things about her for sure. That's why I don't think she is anything to worry about.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-10-2011, 04:07 PM
yup. next.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 04:15 PM
yup. next.

Damnit I was enjoying that PB.

FORD
08-10-2011, 04:40 PM
For fuck sakes FORD. Just because she went to school at ORU doesn't make her crazy. Lot's of normal people go to school there and get a very high quality education.

She believes that we don't have to give a shit about the environment because Jesus is going to fix everything - or worse yet, that Jesus will pull her out and leave the rest of us here to suffer on a dying planet.

If that doesn't meet the definition of "crazy", I don't know what the fuck does. And if that isn't convincing, have you seen the cover of the latest NewsWeak???

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-110808-bachmann-newsweek.photoblog900.jpg

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Yeah that's causing quite a stir. I read somthing that some liberal talk show dude actually bashed Newsweek for that.

lol. Not a very good picture.

http://news.yahoo.com/jon-stewart-rips-newsweeks-bachmann-cover-142441412.html;_ylt=AiZvsnpNGK4Tu47.scM4megDW7oF;_ ylu=X3oDMTNxNmUxaTFrBGNjb2RlA3dlaWdodGVkY3QEcGtnAz JiMDFkNDUwLTQ0ZDMtM2QzNS1iOTEwLWNhY2Y4MWQ4ZmU3OARw b3MDMTYEc2VjA01vc3QgUG9wdWxhcgR2ZXIDZmYyNjY5ZjAtYz M1Yy0xMWUwLTg3NzctYTlmZGJiZDhmMDEw;_ylg=X3oDMTFyNz ExZWxyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNh dANwb3B1bGFyBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

NEW YORK (TheWrap.com) - Jon Stewart says the worst part about conservative complaints of media bias is when they contain "a kernel of truth" -- and that conservatives have a point about Newsweek's unflattering Michele Bachmann cover.

The cover describes her as "The Queen of Rage." Stewart called Newsweek out on Tuesday's "The Daily Show" for using cheap attempts to undercut the Minnesota representative and Republican presidential candidate.

He mocked the magazine's statement that it ran the photo to capture the way she has galvanized Iowa voters.

"I get it, Newsweek," Stewart said. "You put in 'The Queen of Rage' juxtaposed with a picture of a lady that appears to be enchanted by simple math being done on a blackboard that's been hung too high. Or maybe it's a child thinking of cake!.

"But. Be honest Newsweek. You used that photo in a petty attempt to make Michele Bachmann look crazy. And that's what her words are for ... You want a photo that makes her seem a little off? Make it out of her words."

He added: "Shame on you, Newsweek. And your editor, Tina Brown," before posting the least flattering Brown photo he could find.

You can watch the clip here: http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/jon-stewarts-rips-michelle-bachmann-cover-shame-you-newsweek-29959

FORD
08-10-2011, 04:49 PM
"Liberal" talk show dude? Must have been Alan Colmes.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 04:50 PM
See above I found it.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 05:00 PM
And in other sad news the market is in the shitter again today. :(

PETE'S BROTHER
08-10-2011, 05:01 PM
And in other sad news the market is in the shitter again today. :(

A picture is now only worth 200 words.

jhale667
08-10-2011, 05:01 PM
That's funny. You are just as big a bigot as I am. Maybe bigger. Religion is what you despise for whatever reason.

Not a chance, but keep lying to yourself. It's working so well for you thus far. :fufu:

FORD
08-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Thing is though, there's not a single picture of Bachmann where she does NOT look crazy. Probably because she IS crazy.

http://www.dickipedia.org/images/Bachmann.jpg http://angrywhitedude.com/wp-content/uploads2/2010/07/michele-bachmann.jpg http://talkingpointsmemo.com/assets_c/2009/09/michelle-bachmann-shouting-cropped-proto-custom_2.jpg

Just like when the right wingers complained about all the pictures of Chimpy that made him look like an idiot, yet they could never find a picture where he DIDN'T. :biggrin:

jhale667
08-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Thing is though, there's not a single picture of Bachmann where she does NOT look crazy. Probably because she IS crazy.

Just like when the right wingers complained about all the pictures of Chimpy that made him look like an idiot, yet they could never find a picture where he DIDN'T. :biggrin:

Exactly, not like they had to GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to make her "look" crazy - she showed up that way.

hambon4lif
08-10-2011, 05:06 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-110808-bachmann-newsweek.photoblog900.jpg

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 05:07 PM
WARNING! This may be really big!

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web05/2011/8/8/16/saw-this-on-reddit-earlier-3539-1312834484-3.jpg

jhale667
08-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Nice ginormous picture Spam, Jagoff...like that's not her crazy-ass head photoshopped on some attractive chick's body...

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Nice ginormous picture Spam, Jagoff...like that's not her crazy-ass head photoshopped on some attractive chick's body...

Yeah no shit I new it was going to big but damn.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-10-2011, 05:14 PM
big but dam :hee:

Guitar Shark
08-10-2011, 05:15 PM
She believes that we don't have to give a shit about the environment because Jesus is going to fix everything - or worse yet, that Jesus will pull her out and leave the rest of us here to suffer on a dying planet.

If that doesn't meet the definition of "crazy", I don't know what the fuck does. And if that isn't convincing, have you seen the cover of the latest NewsWeak???

I think Bachmann is an idiot - but Newsweek took it too far here. Jon Stewart got it right.

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:thedailyshow.com:394225" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" base="." flashvars="" height="288" width="512">
The Daily Show - Glazed and Confused (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-august-9-2011/glazed-and-confused)
Get More: Daily Show Full Episodes (http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/),Political Humor & Satire Blog (http://www.indecisionforever.com/),The Daily Show on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow)

jhale667
08-10-2011, 05:19 PM
I think Bachmann is an idiot - but Newsweek took it too far here. Jon Stewart got it right.

Again, it's not like she needs help looking like a mental patient, they didn't really have to go there...'course we may never know if that was indeed the best photo out of the entire shoot...wouldn't really surprise me, though! :hee:

FORD
08-10-2011, 05:26 PM
I can't see the objections. It's not a Photoshop job. She looks crazy because she IS crazy. And it's not as though NewsWeak is a "liberal" magazine. If they were, they wouldn't have her on the cover, or Palin every other month, for that matter.

Guitar Shark
08-10-2011, 05:27 PM
I can't see the objections.

That is because it is impossible for you to be objective. We love you anyway though.

jhale667
08-10-2011, 05:29 PM
That is because it is impossible for you to be objective. We love you anyway though.

He's right about one thing...she is BATSHIT CRAZY - indisputable FACT....:eek:

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 05:30 PM
It will be interesting to see what the straw poll in Iowa turns up. I bet she is in the bottom of the heap. She will have some cuntry star in her tent though. Randy Travis I think.

jhale667
08-10-2011, 05:31 PM
She's already 4th in the polls, and has been surpassed by Rick Perry...another zealot douchebag. But can't see her winning the straw poll, no.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 05:33 PM

You and that mouse in your pocket? Sum Bitch drives me crazy.

j/k

hambon4lif
08-10-2011, 09:32 PM
This was classic!

This interview was for all the people....

FORD
08-11-2011, 03:22 AM
Leap of Faith
The making of a Republican front-runner.
by Ryan Lizza August 15, 2011
Michele Bachmann

Michele Bachmann’s world view has been shaped by institutions and people unfamiliar to most Americans.

The transformation of Michele Bachmann from Tea Party insurgent and cable-news Pasionaria to serious Republican contender in the 2012 Presidential race was nearly complete by late June, when she boarded a Dassault Falcon 900, in Dulles, Virginia, and headed toward the caucus grounds of Iowa. The leased, fourteen-seat corporate jet was to serve as Bachmann’s campaign hub for the next few days, and, before the plane took off, her press secretary, Alice Stewart, announced to the six travelling chroniclers that there was one important rule. “I know everything is on the record these days,” Stewart said, “but please just don’t broadcast images of her in her casual clothes.”

Bachmann, a two-term member of Congress from Stillwater, Minnesota, is an ideologue of the Christian-conservative movement. Her appeal, along with her rapid ascent in the polls, is based on a collection of right-wing convictions, beliefs, and resentments that she has regularly broadcast from television studios and podiums since 2006, when she was first elected to Congress. Often, she will say something outrageous and follow it with a cheerful disclaimer. During the last Presidential campaign, she told Chris Matthews, on MSNBC, that Barack Obama held “anti-American views” and then admitted, “I made a misstatement.” (In 2010, she said that she had been right about Obama’s views all along: “Now I look like Nostradamus.”) In the spring of 2009, during what appeared to be the beginnings of a swine-flu epidemic, Bachmann said, “I find it interesting that it was back in the nineteen-seventies that the swine flu broke out then under another Democrat President, Jimmy Carter. And I’m not blaming this on President Obama—I just think it’s an interesting coincidence.”

After the second Republican Presidential debate, in Manchester, New Hampshire, on June 13th, Bachmann surged in popularity. Her success there was mainly the result of her clear enunciation of Tea Party talking points. But Bachmann and her campaign staff know that––like Sarah Palin and like Mitt Romney—her image depends on a carefully groomed glamour. As Stewart was spelling out the rules of the plane, a flight attendant solemnly carried a full-length white garment bag from Nordstrom down the aisle, as if she were carrying the nuclear codes. Close behind followed two more aides––Bachmann’s personal assistant, Tera Dahl, and the makeup artist Tamara Robertson, who had been asked to join the team because Bachmann so admired her work at Fox News.

Bachmann’s campaign was already, for the most part, highly professional. We were joined on the plane by her speech and debate coach, Brett O’Donnell, who has worked for George W. Bush, John McCain, and Sarah Palin, among other Republicans. He has also led the debate team at Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University to the top ranking in the country. Keith Nahigian, who worked for John McCain, was also on board. He serves as a logistics guru, doing everything from retrieving luggage for reporters to holding up a sign during Bachmann’s speeches to remind her to mention her Web site.

The only senior member of the team not making the trip was Ed Rollins, Bachmann’s campaign manager. Rollins is famous in Washington for two things: managing Ronald Reagan’s successful reëlection campaign against Walter Mondale in 1984, and developing poisonous relationships with most of his high-profile employers since then. They have included George H. W. Bush (“the worst campaigner to actually get elected President,” according to Rollins), Ross Perot (“a paranoid lunatic on an ego trip”), and Arianna Huffington (“the most ruthless, unscrupulous, and ambitious person I’d met in thirty years in national politics”). More recently, he has managed the campaign of Mike Huckabee, appeared frequently on CNN, and worked in corporate public relations.

Bachmann and her husband, Marcus, had been the last to board. She is a tiny woman with a warm smile and blue eyes. She had just finished a round of Sunday-morning television interviews, and had changed out of a gray suit and pearls into a casual blouse and khaki cargo pants. Later, she walked down the aisle handing out candy and hand sanitizer from a wicker basket. An aide turned the cabin’s two monitors to the Fox News Channel. “Isn’t this an incredible way to fly?” Bachmann said to me at one point. “I’ve never been on a nicer plane in my life.”

It was a good day for Bachmann: a new poll showed her sharing the top position in Iowa with Mitt Romney. After we landed in Des Moines, an aide handed Bachmann a copy of that morning’s Des Moines Register. She swung around to face the press, displaying the front-page headline: “ROMNEY, BACHMANN LEAD REPUBLICAN PACK.” It was a perfect shot. The members of the press looked at her cargo pants and then at one another. Nobody took a picture.

FORD
08-11-2011, 03:25 AM
....continued

Bachmann belongs to a generation of Christian conservatives whose views have been shaped by institutions, tracts, and leaders not commonly known to secular Americans, or even to most Christians. Her campaign is going to be a conversation about a set of beliefs more extreme than those of any American politician of her stature, including Sarah Palin, to whom she is inevitably compared. Bachmann said in 2004 that being gay is “personal enslavement,” and that, if same-sex marriage were legalized, “little children will be forced to learn that homosexuality is normal and natural and that perhaps they should try it.” Speaking about gay-rights activists, that same year, she said, “It is our children that is the prize for this community.” She believes that evolution is a theory that has “never been proven,” and that intelligent design should be taught in schools.

Bachmann’s assertions on these issues are, unsurprisingly, disputed. She is also often criticized for making factual errors on less controversial matters. As commentators quickly pointed out, the President during the first swine-flu outbreak was a Republican, Gerald Ford. She got into more trouble this spring when, during a trip to Iowa before she announced her candidacy, she told a long story about her family’s roots in the state.

In the speech, Bachmann said that her family arrived in the state in the eighteen-fifties and experienced a series of misfortunes: “the worst winter in fifty years,” “the worst flooding in forty-two years,” “the worst drought that anyone had ever recorded,” and then a plague of “locusts.” But they persevered, and even started the first Lutheran church in the area. The family came to Iowa, she said, after reading the Muskego Manifesto, a letter sent from Norwegian settlers in the town of Muskego to their families back home. Bachmann quoted the manifesto, which describes an America where people “have civil and religious liberty, and here we can choose whatever profession we want, and no one tells us what profession we go in.” Her ancestors, she said, read those words and “sold everything and took their five children and bought boat tickets to come to Iowa.”

In fact, Muskego is a town in Wisconsin, the state where Bachmann’s forebears, the Munsons, settled in 1857, twelve years after the manifesto was written. Then, in 1861, they moved west, to the Dakota Territory, near present-day Elk Point, South Dakota. That is where, according to the family history that Bachmann relied on, they encountered the awful winter and the flooding and the drought and what the text calls “grasshoppers.” The Munsons seem to have been part of the group that established the first Lutheran church in the Dakota Territory, but there were already Lutheran congregations in Iowa when they arrived there, in late 1864 or early 1865. As the author and historian Chris Rodda has pointed out, the story chronicled is not quite one of superhuman perseverance on the frontier; rather, it’s the story of a family fleeing to the relative safety and civilization of settled Iowa. In other words, Bachmann’s dramatic tale happened near Iowa, but not actually in it.

Since announcing her candidacy, Bachmann, who is fifty-five, has continued to emphasize her Iowa roots—though now she talks about the nineteen-sixties more than the eighteen-fifties. After landing in Des Moines, we travelled to Waterloo, where she was born, and where she lived until she was eleven. Standing in front of the red brick Snowden House, a local landmark built in an Italianate style, she declared, “Everything I need to know, I learned in Iowa.” The crowd cheered. She added, “I grew up here in Iowa.” During her first campaign for Congress, in 2006, her official biography noted that “Michele grew up in a broken home in Anoka, Minnesota.” Since then, her ambitions have shifted from local office to national office, and her emphasis, when she discusses her youth, has shifted accordingly.

After the speech, she did a round of interviews, including one with Fox News, in which she was able to slip in some references to famous Iowans. Then we all drove back to the airport. She seemed energized when she boarded the plane, heading to New Hampshire to continue her tour of the early caucus and primary states.

Soon, however, the mood in the cabin darkened. O’Donnell, the speech coach, had the Drudge Report open on a laptop. There was an unobjectionable picture of Bachmann onstage, backed by an enormous American flag, but below the image was the headline “CONFUSES JOHN WAYNE WITH JOHN WAYNE GACY.” In her interview with Fox, Bachmann had said that she was from Waterloo, “just like John Wayne.” John Wayne, the star of so many John Ford movies, was actually born in Winterset, Iowa. John Wayne Gacy, who killed thirty-three young men, lived in Waterloo.

Why would Drudge, an ardent conservative, publicize that gaffe? O’Donnell thought he knew the answer. “Matt Rhoades and Drudge are best friends,” he said, speaking of Mitt Romney’s campaign manager. Bachmann concurred. “You never see anything about Romney on Drudge—ever,” she said.

Someone turned on Fox News, and the team began discussing the second Bachmann story of the moment. The day before, the Fox anchor Chris Wallace had asked her whether she was a “flake.” Bachmann called the question “insulting” on the air, and viewers had reacted negatively to it. Wallace issued a video statement later in the day expressing regret. “A lot of you were more than perturbed, you were upset and felt that I had been rude to her,” he told the audience. “And since in the end it’s really all about the answers, and not about the questions, I messed up. I’m sorry.”

Bachmann was set to appear again on Fox News in the evening, this time with Sean Hannity. “If Sean says tonight, ‘Have you accepted that apology?,’ then what do I say?” she asked her campaign team. The consensus was that she would not accept it.

“He didn’t apologize to her,” O’Donnell said. “He just apologized for messing up. There are all sorts of apologies.”

The team began reviewing footage of Bachmann’s Waterloo speech. Marcus, who is not a small man, stood in the aisle, his white shirt untucked, and mouthed his wife’s words as he watched. When she arrived at her big applause line—“Make no mistake about it, Barack Obama will be a one . . . term . . . President!”—Marcus recited it out loud and raised his fist. “That’s powerful, that’s good, that’s excellent!” he said. “Yes, yes, yes!”

“That line, it’s become your signature,” O’Donnell said to Bachmann.

“It tested the best on Ed’s dial testing,” another aide said, referring to measurements that her pollster, Ed Goeas, had made of the enthusiasm for particular Bachmann phrases.

A little later, Bachmann read some coverage of herself on the Web site of the New York Times. She was pleasantly surprised. “Maybe it’s because he was so mean last time and he feels like he needs to do better,” she speculated about the author. She took out a white iPhone and, reclining in her seat, played Wallace’s video apology on the phone. “It was pretty weak, I gotta say,” she announced.

Marcus Bachmann plopped down on the seat next to me, in the back of the plane. He pointed at my laptop and asked if he could take a look. “All I want to know is what they’re saying about me,” he said. “Newsweek came up with the word ‘silver fox.’ Tell me what ‘silver fox’ means.”

“Do you want me to tell you honestly?” I asked.

“Oh, don’t tell me it’s something gay!” he said. “Because I’ve been called that before.” Marcus is a psychologist who runs a clinic that employs people Michele described in 2006 as “Biblical world-view counsellors,” who “reach out and try to bring the medicine of the Gospel to come and heal people.”

I explained that “silver fox” probably had more to do with the color of his hair.

“O.K., I can handle that,” he said. Tera, the assistant, assured him that it was a positive term.

“It’s better than Porky Pig,” Marcus said, with a laugh.

Marcus announced that he would now analyze everyone around him. He asked for three characteristics that a close friend might use to describe me. I demurred. He kept pushing: “So reporters are not that vulnerable?” “Maybe it’s a man thing.”

I tried to change the subject by asking him about the similarities between psychologists and journalists. But he would have none of it. “You are still asking questions about me!” he exclaimed. “That’s a trademark. Ai-yi-yi!”

I gave in and told him a story about one of my young sons. Marcus delivered his psychological verdict: “He takes after his dad: smart, perceptive—has a little control need at an early age.”

Marcus moved on: “O.K., earliest childhood memories. Not the safe one, just the first one.”

Suddenly, his face appeared on Fox. “Look, you’re on TV,” I said.

“It’s the Silver Fox!” he exclaimed as we descended into Manchester.

Inside the airport, another reporter pulled up an image of Buddy Garrity, from the TV show “Friday Night Lights.” The character, played by Brad Leland, is a dead ringer for Marcus, and the reporter showed him the image. “He does look like me,” Marcus said. “My goodness, you guys are quick, sharp, and complimentary so far—just until I get to know you long enough, and then you might even tell the truth.” He paused. “Which I’m really afraid of!” He grabbed a large suitcase from a cart—“I’m the high-maintenance traveller here, with the biggest, heaviest bag”—and he and Michele walked away.

FORD
08-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Michele Bachmann’s father, a former Air Force staff sergeant, was an engineer who worked at a bomb factory in Iowa. He travelled around the country and to China, made his own wine, ground his own grain, and drove a gray Volkswagen bug. He was a Democrat and a student of the Civil War. “He didn’t appreciate it if any kind words were said about the South,” she said in a eulogy for him, in 2003. But he was also an “authoritarian.” In a Christmas letter to friends and family that year, she wrote, “He was a man of faults, and he was perhaps the most dominant human figure in my life.” Her parents separated in 1968, and in July, 1970, when Michele was fourteen, their divorce was finalized. The following month, in Las Vegas, her father married a woman twelve years his junior and moved to California. Bachmann, who has three brothers, says that the split devastated her and left the family impoverished. “We had to sell our home and sell most of the things that we had and move into a little apartment,” she told me. Her mother soon married a widower with five children.

In a speech in Minneapolis in 2006, Bachmann spoke of growing up with “the emotional struggles of not having a strong father in my life.” Two years after her father left, Bachmann joined a high-school prayer group. She had been brought up a Lutheran, but she knew little about the Bible. With the help of the members of the prayer group, she explained in the speech, she became a born-again Christian:

I didn’t know I wasn’t a believer. But they knew I wasn’t a believer, and they started praying for me. And all of a sudden the holy spirit started knocking on my heart’s door and I could hear the Lord tug me and call me to Himself, and I responded on November 1st of 1972, and I knew that I knew that I knew that I had received Jesus Christ as my lord and savior and that my life would never be the same after I made that commitment, because I knew what darkness looked like. I knew it from my home life. I absolutely understood sin, and I wanted no part of it. When Jesus Christ came in and cleaned out this dark heart, that was light. That was rest. That was peace. It was refreshment. Why would I ever want the world? I knew what that had to offer. This was great. That didn’t mean that I woke and all of a sudden I had money, all of a sudden I had position, all of a sudden I had education. It didn’t. But what it meant was that all of a sudden I had a father.

Bachmann told me, “It was very helpful to join the prayer group. That’s when I gave my life over to God, and it was a life-changing experience for me to recognize that I wanted him to be in control of my life rather than me being in control of my life.”

In 1974, the year Bachmann graduated from high school, she spent the summer on a kibbutz near Beersheba, Israel, with a program that was something like Outward Bound for Christians. The trip gave her a connection to Israel, a state whose creation, many American evangelicals believe, is prophesied in the Bible. (St. Paul, in the Letter to the Romans, says that Jews will one day gather again in their homeland; modern fundamentalists see this, along with the coming of the Antichrist, as presaging the Rapture.) “Our job was to get up at four in the morning and go out to the cotton fields and pick weeds,” Bachmann told me. “When we would go out in the morning, we would have soldiers that would go with us, and their job was to go through the fields to make sure that there weren’t any mines.”

In the fall of 1975, Bachmann enrolled at Winona State University, a small school in southeastern Minnesota, where she became more devout and tried to lead her dormmates to Christianity. There she met Marcus, whom, she has said, God called her to marry. She had a vision while praying “of me marrying this man in the valley where his parents have a farm in western Wisconsin.” According to Michele, Marcus was simultaneously having a vision about marrying her.

At the time, evangelicals were becoming a major presence in American politics. In 1976, like many other fundamentalist Christians, the Bachmanns supported Jimmy Carter, a born-again Baptist. The Bachmanns attended Carter’s Inauguration, in January, 1977. Later that year, they experienced a second life-altering event: they watched a series of films by the evangelist and theologian Francis Schaeffer called “How Should We Then Live?”

Schaeffer, who ran a mission in the Swiss Alps known as L’Abri (“the shelter”), opposed liberal trends in theology. One of the most influential evangelical thinkers of the nineteen-seventies and early eighties, he has been credited with getting a generation of Christians involved in politics. Schaeffer’s film series consists of ten episodes tracing the influence of Christianity on Western art and culture, from ancient Rome to Roe v. Wade. In the films, Schaeffer—who has a white goatee and is dressed in a shearling coat and mountain climber’s knickers—condemns the influence of the Italian Renaissance, the Enlightenment, Darwin, secular humanism, and postmodernism. He repeatedly reminds viewers of the “inerrancy” of the Bible and the necessity of a Biblical world view. “There is only one real solution, and that’s right back where the early church was,” Schaeffer tells his audience. “The early church believed that only the Bible was the final authority. What these people really believed and what gave them their whole strength was in the truth of the Bible as the absolute infallible word of God.”

The first five installments of the series are something of an art-history and philosophy course. The iconic image from the early episodes is Schaeffer standing on a raised platform next to Michelangelo’s “David” and explaining why, for all its beauty, Renaissance art represented a dangerous turn away from a God-centered world and toward a blasphemous, human-centered world. But the film shifts in the second half. In the sixth episode, a mysterious man in a fake mustache drives around in a white van and furtively pours chemicals into a city’s water supply, while Schaeffer speculates about the possibility that the U.S. government is controlling its citizens by means of psychotropic drugs. The final two episodes of the series deal with abortion and the perils of genetic engineering.

Schaeffer died in 1984. I asked his son Frank, who directed the movies—and who has since left the evangelical movement and become a novelist—about the change in tone. He told me that it all had to do with Roe v. Wade, which was decided by the Supreme Court while the film was being made. “Those first episodes are what Francis Schaeffer is doing while he was sitting in Switzerland having nice discussions with people who came through to find Jesus and talk about culture and art,” he said. But then the Roe decision came, and “it wasn’t a theory anymore. Now ‘they’ are killing babies. Then everything started getting unhinged. It wasn’t just that we disagreed with the Supreme Court; it’s that they’re evil. It isn’t just that the federal government may be taking too much power; now they are abusing it. We had been warning that humanism followed to its logical conclusion without Biblical absolutes is going to go into terrible places, and, look, it’s happening right before our very eyes. Once that happens, everything becomes a kind of holy war, and if not an actual conspiracy then conspiracy-like.”

Francis Schaeffer instructed his followers and students at L’Abri that the Bible was not just a book but “the total truth.” He was a major contributor to the school of thought now known as Dominionism, which relies on Genesis 1:26, where man is urged to “have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.” Sara Diamond, who has written several books about evangelical movements in America, has succinctly defined the philosophy that resulted from Schaeffer’s interpretation: “Christians, and Christians alone, are Biblically mandated to occupy all secular institutions until Christ returns.”

In 1981, three years before he died, Schaeffer published “A Christian Manifesto,” a guide for Christian activism, in which he argues for the violent overthrow of the government if Roe v. Wade isn’t reversed. In his movie, Schaeffer warned that America’s descent into tyranny would not look like Hitler’s or Stalin’s; it would probably be guided stealthily, by “a manipulative, authoritarian élite.”

Today, one of the leading proponents of Schaeffer’s version of Dominionism is Nancy Pearcey, a former student of his and a prominent creationist. Her 2004 book, “Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural Captivity,” teaches readers how to implement Schaeffer’s idea that a Biblical world view should suffuse every aspect of one’s life. She tells her readers to be extremely cautious with ideas from non-Christians. There may “be occasions when Christians are mistaken on some point while nonbelievers get it right,” she writes in “Total Truth.” “Nevertheless, the overall systems of thought constructed by nonbelievers will be false—for if the system is not built on Biblical truth, then it will be built on some other ultimate principle. Even individual truths will be seen through the distorting lens of a false world view.”

When, in 2005, the Minneapolis Star Tribune asked Bachmann what books she had read recently, she mentioned two: Ann Coulter’s “Treason,” a jeremiad that accuses liberals of lacking patriotism, and Pearcey’s “Total Truth,” which Bachmann told me was a “wonderful” book.

This spring, during one of her trips to Iowa, Bachmann asked the audience if anyone had heard of or seen “How Should We Then Live?” Many people applauded. She continued:

That also was another profound influence on Marcus’s life and my life, because we understood that the God of the Bible isn’t just about Bible stories and about Bible knowledge, or about just church on Sunday. He is the Lord of all of life. Every bit of life, including sociology, theology, biology, politics. You name the area and walk of life. He is the Lord of life. And so, as we went back to our studies, we looked at studying in a completely different light. Not for the purpose of a career but for a purpose of wondering, How does this fit into creation? How does this fit into the code and all of life that is about to come in front of us? And so we had new eyes that were opened up as we understood life now from a Biblical world view.

Schaeffer “was a tremendous philosopher,” Bachmann told me. “He wrote marvellous books and was very inspirational.” She said that Schaeffer “took Christianity beyond the Bible,” and that he showed “how the application of living according to Christian principles has helped the culture for the better.” She added, “He really tried to call Christians to do more than just go to church, to have an application to how they live their lives, to have Christians think that whether they are called to be a dentist, or whether they are a doctor, or whether they are an artist, or whether they are a sculptor—whatever it is that they’re called to do—to give it everything that they have and to have a bigger purpose, a bigger meaning in all of it.”

FORD
08-11-2011, 03:29 AM
The Bachmanns married on September 10, 1978, at Marcus’s family’s farm, in Montana, Wisconsin. The next fall, at Marcus’s suggestion, Bachmann enrolled at the new O. W. Coburn School of Law, at Oral Roberts University, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The Bible, not the Constitution or conventional jurisprudence, guides the curriculum. For several years, the school could not get accreditation, because students were required to sign a “code of honor” attesting to their Christian belief and commitment. The first issue of the law review, Journal of Christian Jurisprudence, explains the two goals of the school: “to equip our students with the ability to bring God’s healing power to reconcile individuals and to restore community wholeness,” and “to restore law to its historic roots in the Bible.”

Among the professors were Herbert W. Titus, a Vice-Presidential candidate of the far-right U.S. Taxpayers Party (now called the Constitution Party), and John Whitehead, who started the Rutherford Institute, a conservative legal-advocacy group. The law review published essays by Schaeffer and Rousas John Rushdoony, a prominent Dominionist who has called for a pure Christian theocracy in which Old Testament law—execution for adulterers and homosexuals, for example—would be instituted. In a 1982 essay in the law review, Rushdoony condemned the secularization of public schools and declared, “With the coming collapse of humanistic statism, the Christian must prepare to take over, he must prepare for victory.”

In 1980, Bachmann volunteered for Ronald Reagan’s Presidential campaign. She and Marcus also “began to pray outside abortion clinics and serve as sidewalk counselors to people considering abortion,” according to an official biography that she no longer uses. During a later protest against a county-funded hospital that performed abortions, she told the Star Tribune that she felt that, since Roe, “I have been a landlord of an abortion clinic, and I don’t like that distinction.”

At Oral Roberts, Bachmann worked for a professor named John Eidsmoe, who got her interested in the burgeoning homeschool movement. She helped him build a database of state homeschooling statutes, assisting his crusade to reverse laws that prevented parents from homeschooling their children. After that, Bachmann worked as Eidsmoe’s research assistant on his book “Christianity and the Constitution,” published in 1987.

Eidsmoe explained to me how the Coburn School of Law, in the years that Bachmann was there, wove Christianity into the legal curriculum. “Say we’re talking in criminal law, and we get to the subject of the insanity defense,” he said. “Well, Biblically speaking, is there such a thing as insanity and is it a defense for a crime? We might look back to King David when he’s captured by the Philistines and he starts frothing at the mouth, playing crazy and so on.” When Biblical law conflicted with American law, Eidsmoe said, O.R.U. students were generally taught that “the first thing you should try to do is work through legal means and political means to get it changed.”

“Christianity and the Constitution” is ostensibly a scholarly work about the religious beliefs of the Founders, but it is really a brief for political activism. Eidsmoe writes that America “was and to a large extent still is a Christian nation,” and that “our culture should be permeated with a distinctively Christian flavoring.” When I asked him if he believed that Bachmann’s views were fully consistent with the prevailing ideology at O.R.U. and the themes of his book, he said, “Yes.” Later, he added, “I do not know of any way in which they are not.”

Eidsmoe has stirred controversy. In 2005, he spoke at the national convention of the Council of Conservative Citizens, a defiantly pro-white, and anti-black, organization. (Eidsmoe says that he deeply despises racism, but that he will speak “to anyone.”) In Alabama last year, he addressed an event commemorating Secession Day and told an interviewer that it was the state’s “constitutional right to secede,” and that “Jefferson Davis and John C. Calhoun understood the Constitution better than did Abraham Lincoln and Daniel Webster.” In April, 2010, he was disinvited from a Tea Party rally in Wausau, Wisconsin, because of these statements and appearances.

Bachmann has not, however, distanced herself, and she has long described her work for Eidsmoe as an important part of her résumé. This spring, she told a church audience in Iowa, “I went down to Oral Roberts University, and one of the professors that had a great influence on me was an Iowan named John Eidsmoe. He’s from Iowa, and he’s a wonderful man. He has theology degrees, he has law degrees, he’s absolutely brilliant. He taught me about so many aspects of our godly heritage.”

In 1986, after Bachmann graduated from O.R.U., she and Marcus moved to Virginia Beach. Marcus earned a master’s degree in counselling at Pat Robertson’s C.B.N. University, now known as Regent University. Michele enrolled at the College of William and Mary and, in 1988, got a master’s of law in taxation. They had had their first child while she was on a break from law school, and their second arrived while they were living in Virginia. They then moved back to Minnesota. She spent the next four years as a lawyer at the I.R.S. Office of Chief Counsel, in St. Paul, representing the commissioner of the I.R.S. before the U.S. Tax Court and advising agents who were conducting audits and collecting tax assessments.

Bachmann usually describes herself vaguely as a “former federal tax litigation attorney,” but, in part because she was new, she didn’t do much litigating. I talked with six of Bachmann’s former colleagues in the small I.R.S. office where she worked. Three of them still work there. No one would speak on the record, but they all said that Bachmann was not on the job long enough to gain much experience.

Two of Bachmann’s five children were born while she worked for the I.R.S., and all six former colleagues said that the primary fact they remembered about Bachmann was that she spent a good portion of her time on maternity leave—the I.R.S. had a fairly generous policy—and that caused resentment.

“Basically, the rest of us that were here were handling Michele’s inventory,” one former colleague said. “In her four years, she probably didn’t get more than two, two and a half years of experience. So she was doing lightweight stuff.” A second colleague said, “She was an attorney here, but she was never here.” (Bachmann declined a request to respond.)

Many of the cases she worked on were settled without going to trial, and there is only one Bachmann case on file that ended up in a courtroom. According to court documents, in 1992 Bachmann sought six thousand dollars in taxes from a Chippewa Indian who failed to report three years of income from Youth Project, Inc., a community-organizing nonprofit dedicated to “social justice and peace.”

Bachmann doesn’t like to say directly that she worked for the “I.R.S.,” but she often cites her work in the tax office as part of the reason she’s qualified to be President. The job, her campaign Web site declares, “solidified her strong support for efforts to simplify the Tax Code and reduce tax burdens on family and small business budgets.”

After the birth of her fourth child, in 1992, Bachmann left the I.R.S. to be a stay-at-home mother. The Bachmanns also began taking in foster children, all of whom were teen-age girls and many of whom had eating disorders. Bachmann’s motivation seems to have been to save the girls, in the same way that she had been saved. “In my heart, God put something in me toward young people that I wanted to make sure the Gospel would go out to young people,” she said, in 2006. “So that young people could come to know Jesus at an early age, the earlier the better, so that they wouldn’t have to go through those pitfalls.”

In total, the Bachmanns took in twenty-three girls; I spoke with one of them (she did not want her name used), who stayed with the Bachmanns for three and a half years and now lives in Colorado. She said, “I owe the Bachmanns everything. They offered me the structure I needed and taught me how to figure out goals. They really encouraged me to figure out who I was rather than who I was becoming. I turned my life around one hundred and eighty degrees.”

In 1993, Bachmann became disturbed by schoolwork the foster children were bringing home. One high-school math assignment involved a coloring project. She began to wonder what had happened to the disciplined education system of her youth. When she was in school, she said in a speech, “the shop teacher also had a board hung up in the shop class with holes bored in it, and he would use that on the backside if somebody got out of line. Anybody remember those days? That’s when I grew up. And it worked really well.” Her foster children’s homework, she continued, “had more to do with indoctrinating kids than educating kids. And the indoctrination had to do with anti-parent themes, anti-Biblical themes, anti-education themes, anti-academic themes.”

In 1993, she and six others founded the New Heights charter school, in Stillwater. The school was designed for at-risk kids, and the charter agreement, signed by all seven co-founders, mandated that the publicly funded school “is and will be non-sectarian in all programs, admission policies, employment practices and all other operations.”

The minutes of the school’s board meetings show that Bachmann, who was a member of the board, and her fellow-administrators repeatedly violated that rule. The C.E.O. of New Heights was Dennis L. Meyer, an evangelical-Christian activist and former schoolteacher who ran a prison ministry. At one of the first meetings, on July 20th, Meyer set the tone for how the school would be run: “Denny encouraged the board to do things and move forward not because we ‘think’ it should be done a certain way, but because God wants us to.”

The July 30th meeting opened with a prayer: “If we stay focussed God will keep being glorified by the things He does through us.” At the August 4th meeting, the board agreed to rent space at the school to a Minnesota church and heard from Dr. Robert Weaver, of Bethel University, an evangelical school in St. Paul. They discussed a “possible Bethel connection.” At the August 11th meeting, Meyer read from Deuteronomy: “Do not go out and strike rock; move by faith.”

Soon after the school year started, parents began to notice that New Heights had a strong Christian orientation. At an October meeting, a board member asked whether a document called “20 Key Principles of Christian Management” was officially part of the school’s “documentation,” as Meyer had claimed in a memo to the board. Denise Stephens, a parent of a student at the school, told G. R. Anderson, Jr., a reporter for the Minneapolis City Pages, that creationism was being advocated and that students were not allowed to watch the movie “Aladdin,” because it involved magic and paganism. The school district warned New Heights that it risked losing its charter. “I told Mr. Meyer and Ms. Bachmann some of my concerns and indicated that I was not going to be able to support something that seemed to be headed in a direction contrary to the state law,” David Wettergren, Stillwater’s superintendent of schools at the time, told me. About six months after the school was founded, Bachmann and Meyer resigned from the leadership. With the two of them gone, the school purged the curriculum of its religious orientation. “The school pulled itself together, so we continued to charter it,” Wettergren said.

Bachmann often describes her and Marcus’s work at New Heights as a major accomplishment. “We felt a challenge; we started a charter school,” she said in a speech in West Des Moines earlier this year. “It is still going on today. We got together with about five other couples. We started this charter school for at-risk kids. And it’s a very special niche, and we’re proud of the fact that that school has been started and it’s ongoing.”

The state senator from Bachmann’s district at that time was Gary Laidig, who is now sixty-three. His father was a Methodist minister, and, after church every Sunday, the two would watch the talk shows—“Face the Nation,” “Meet the Press”—and discuss politics. Even though Laidig’s father was active in the Republican Party, “there was never politics from the pulpit and there was never religion at the precinct caucus,” Laidig told me recently at his home, in St. Paul.

Laidig served as a marine in Vietnam and was elected to the Minnesota House, as a Republican, in 1973. For generations, the state’s parties had been divided primarily on economic issues. But now, after Roe, they were splitting along more polarizing lines, with members switching sides based on their abortion views. Laidig had no interest in social issues. “I wanted to learn the budget, and work on the environment, parks, trails, land stewardship,” he said. In 1983, he was elected to the State Senate. Each year, he picked a single issue or problem, studied it, and then determined whether he should propose legislation. He is most proud of getting Minnesota to adopt a statewide computerized system for hunting and fishing licenses and to require child safety seats in automobiles.

In the late nineteen-nineties, William Cooper, a wealthy bank executive and conservative activist, became chairman of the Minnesota Republican Party, and started to demand more ideological purity. “He began a purge of people like me,” Laidig said. “No abortion, so if your daughter is raped or if you find out your child is going to be permanently a vegetable you have the kid. Not every abortion is birth control, O.K.? So really hard-core stuff.” He ticked off a long list of local pro-choice and moderate Republicans who were targeted for defeat. “We became persona-non-grata.”

Bachmann was getting interested in politics just as her party was getting interested in people like her. In the late nineteen-nineties, she began travelling throughout Minnesota, delivering lectures in churches, and writing pamphlets, on the perils of a federal education law known as School to Work, which supported vocational training, and a Minnesota education law known as Profile of Learning, which set state education standards. In one pamphlet, she wrote that federal education law “embraces a socialist, globalist worldview; loyalty to all government and not America.” In another, she warned of a “new restructuring of American society,” beginning with “workforce boards” that would tell every student the specific career options he or she could pursue, turning children into “human resources for a centrally planned economy.”

Around this time, Bachmann became interested in the writings of David A. Noebel, the founder and director of Summit Ministries, an educational organization founded to reverse the harmful effects of what it calls “our current post-Christian culture.” He was a longtime John Birch Society member, whose pamphlets include “The Homosexual Revolution: End Time Abomination,” and “Communism, Hypnotism, and the Beatles,” in which Noebel argued that the band was being used by Communists to infiltrate the minds of young Americans. Bachmann once gave a speech touting her relationship with Noebel’s organization. “I went on to serve on the board of directors with Summit Ministries,” she said, adding that Summit’s message is “wonderful and worthwhile.” She has also recommended to supporters Noebel’s “Understanding the Times,” a book that is popular in the Christian homeschooling movement. In it, he explains that the “Secular Humanist worldview” is one of America’s greatest threats. Bachmann’s analysis of education law similarly veered off into conspiratorial warnings. “Government now will be controlling people,” she said during one lecture on education, at a church in Minnesota. “What has history shown us about planned, state economies in the last one hundred years? Think Fascism, think Communism, think socialism. Think, the state-planned economies, totalitarianism. Think Cuba! Do you want Cuba’s economy or do you want the United States of America’s economy?”

Laidig defended the education laws in the State Senate, which made him a target for Bachmann. “Michele came to me on several occasions and to my face said, ‘If you don’t vote to get rid of School to Work and Profiles, I will run against you,’ ” he said.

In 1999, Bachmann ran for a seat on the Stillwater school board, but, dogged by the charter-school debacle, she lost. The following year, however, she made good on her threat to Laidig. She and her fellow-activists crowded into the Republican endorsement convention, at a middle school in St. Paul. The activists first attacked a moderate Republican, Mark Holsten, but Tim Pawlenty, who was then the Minnesota House majority leader, rounded up votes to save him. Laidig was not so fortunate. Bachmann beat him easily, and went on to win the general election.

For many years, Bachmann has said that she showed up at the convention on a whim and nominated herself at the urging of some friends. She was, she suggests, an accidental candidate. This version of history has become central to her political biography and is repeated in most profiles of her. A 2009 column by George F. Will, for example, says that “on the spur of the moment” some Bachmann allies suggested nominating her.

But she already had a long history of political activism—the Carter and Reagan campaigns, her anti-abortion and education activism, her school-board race—and she had been targeting Laidig for a year. According to an article in the Stillwater Gazette, on October 6, 1999, Bachmann was talking about running against Laidig months before she went to the convention. “I tried to present information to Senator Laidig on Profile of Learning, he was not interested,” she said. “And I told him that if he’s not willing to be more responsive to the citizens, that I may have to run for his seat.” She told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that she had decided to run against Laidig a year earlier.

Once in the State Senate, Bachmann rallied Republicans against Profile of Learning, and the statute was eventually repealed. She led fights to defend the public display of the Ten Commandments and to ban same-sex marriage. A gay member of the State Senate says that she once prayed over his desk. In 2006, she was elected to Congress, and, within a year, because of her frequent, and controversial, appearances on cable TV, she had become one of the most recognizable faces in the Republican caucus. Soon, evangelical activists were talking about her as a potential Presidential candidate. This year, Bachmann was selected by the Tea Party to give its response to Obama’s State of the Union address.

Back on her campaign plane—Bachmann dubbed it her “Barbie jet,” in homage to Barbie’s pink Glam Vacation Jet, sold by Mattel—on June 28th, as we headed from New Hampshire to South Carolina, Bachmann was celebrating the P.R. victory over Chris Wallace. The “flaky” comment made him look mean, even sexist, and her refusal to accept his non-apology made her look tough. He finally called Bachmann personally and offered a clearer apology, which she accepted.

Bachmann marvelled at how the controversy “seems like it happened years ago.”

“There you go, exaggerating again!” an aide joked. Everyone laughed

But, on the plane’s television, Sean Hannity, of Fox News, was discussing the latest Bachmann controversy: an interview with George Stephanopoulos, in which she defended an earlier statement that the Founders worked tirelessly to end slavery. Even though Hannity reliably supported Bachmann, David Polyansky, the deputy campaign manager, groaned. “I wish he wouldn’t replay it,” he said. O’Donnell, the speech coach, nodded. The campaign veterans did not see the benefits of their candidate chatting about American slavery. But Bachmann was still not convinced that she was wrong. Someone had sent her research to back up her claim. “Did you get that e-mail saying that there’s more of them that we can talk about?” she asked, from the front of the plane. Polyansky and O’Donnell glanced at each other, but neither of them responded.

Bachmann’s comment about slavery was not a gaffe. It is, as she would say, a world view. In “Christianity and the Constitution,” the book she worked on with Eidsmoe, her law-school mentor, he argues that John Jay, Alexander Hamilton, and John Adams “expressed their abhorrence for the institution” and explains that “many Christians opposed slavery even though they owned slaves.” They didn’t free their slaves, he writes, because of their benevolence. “It might be very difficult for a freed slave to make a living in that economy; under such circumstances setting slaves free was both inhumane and irresponsible.”

While looking over Bachmann’s State Senate campaign Web site, I stumbled upon a list of book recommendations. The third book on the list, which appeared just before the Declaration of Independence and George Washington’s Farewell Address, is a 1997 biography of Robert E. Lee by J. Steven Wilkins.

Wilkins is the leading proponent of the theory that the South was an orthodox Christian nation unjustly attacked by the godless North. This revisionist take on the Civil War, known as the “theological war” thesis, had little resonance outside a small group of Southern historians until the mid-twentieth century, when Rushdoony and others began to popularize it in evangelical circles. In the book, Wilkins condemns “the radical abolitionists of New England” and writes that “most southerners strove to treat their slaves with respect and provide them with a sufficiency of goods for a comfortable, though—by modern standards—spare existence.”

African slaves brought to America, he argues, were essentially lucky: “Africa, like any other pagan country, was permeated by the cruelty and barbarism typical of unbelieving cultures.” Echoing Eidsmoe, Wilkins also approvingly cites Lee’s insistence that abolition could not come until “the sanctifying effects of Christianity” had time “to work in the black race and fit its people for freedom.”

In his chapter on race relations in the antebellum South, Wilkins writes:

Slavery, as it operated in the pervasively Christian society which was the old South, was not an adversarial relationship founded upon racial animosity. In fact, it bred on the whole, not contempt, but, over time, mutual respect. This produced a mutual esteem of the sort that always results when men give themselves to a common cause. The credit for this startling reality must go to the Christian faith. . . . The unity and companionship that existed between the races in the South prior to the war was the fruit of a common faith.

For several years, the book, which Bachmann’s campaign declined to discuss with me, was listed on her Web site, under the heading “Michele’s Must Read List.”

“If there was one word on a motivation or world view, that one word would be ‘liberty,’ ” Bachmann told me in early August, when I asked about her world view. “That’s what inspires me and motivates me more than anything—just the concept of freedom, liberty, what it means. Whether it’s economic liberty, religious liberty, liberty in our finances, liberty in being able to choose the profession we have. That’s what inspired my relatives to come here back in the eighteen-fifties. It was the concept of liberty. That’s what motivates me today as well.”

Liberty is the concept—or at least the word—most resonant with the Republican Party’s Tea Party faction, which Bachmann’s Presidential aspirations depend upon. It is a peculiarity of the current political moment that a politician with a history of pushing sectarian religious beliefs in government has become a hero to a libertarian movement. But Bachmann’s merger of these two strands of ideology is not unique. In fact, the Pew Research Center, in its recent quadrennial study of the American electorate, noted that “the most visible shift in the political landscape” since 2005 “is the emergence of a single bloc of across-the-board conservatives. The long-standing divide between economic, pro-business conservatives and social conservatives has blurred.”

The two wings are now united by the simplest and most enduring strain of conservative ideology: a dislike and distrust of government. Religious and fiscal conservatives have been moving toward this kind of unity for decades, and Bachmann, in her crusades against abortion, education standards, gay marriage—as well as in her passionate opposition to raising the debt ceiling—has always cast government as the villain, often using terms that echo Schaeffer’s post-Roe warning that America risked falling into the hands of “a manipulative and authoritarian élite.”

Bachmann and her political consultants also know that her inoffensive ode to liberty is necessary because many voters don’t respond well to religious language. The more Bachmann talks about God, the more she is likely to be asked about Schaeffer, Eidsmoe, Noebel, and some of the other exotic influences on her thinking. The success of her campaign will rest partly on her ability to keep these influences, which she has talked about for years, out of the public discussion. As I started getting deeper into a conversation with her about Schaeffer, she abruptly ended the interview. She said she had to leave for an appearance on “Hannity” but would try to set up another time to talk. I didn’t hear from her again. Her press secretary later told me that Bachmann “wasn’t comfortable with the line of questions, and that’s why there wasn’t a follow-up conversation.”

The second risk to Bachmann’s campaign is one that’s harder to control. Part of what’s so appealing about her is that she speaks passionately and off the cuff. But she often seems to speak before she thinks, garbles words, mixes up history, or says things that don’t make sense. At some point, when more people are paying attention, she might go just a bit too far.

On the campaign trip, as we got ready to leave Iowa after her Waterloo speech, Bachmann leaned over to look at pictures from the event on an aide’s laptop.

“I like that one,” she said, pointing.

“Yes, I love that. It tells our story.”

“This is the over-the-shoulder shot.”

“It’s so pretty with the green grass and trees in the distance. Oh, and the flags! Go back to the flags. I like that, I like that!”

“Looking good!” the aide said.

The engine started to rev as we taxied. Bachmann stood up straight and punched the air. “Shoot, aim, score!” ♦

Link (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/15/110815fa_fact_lizza?currentPage=all)

FORD
08-11-2011, 03:38 AM
Make no mistake about it, her goal is dominionist theocratic fascism. :meinsmiley:

jhale667
08-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Make no mistake about it, her goal is dominionist theocratic fascism. :meinsmiley:

So does Perry. And he's worse. :meinsmiley:

Va Beach VH Fan
08-11-2011, 10:46 AM
This is some scary shit, if you ask me....

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc115b96" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=44098787&amp;width=420&amp;height=245" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc115b96" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=44098787&amp;width=420&amp;height=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>

Va Beach VH Fan
08-11-2011, 10:46 AM

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc115b96" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=44098787&amp;width=420&amp;height=245" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc115b96" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=44098787&amp;width=420&amp;height=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>

sadaist
08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
dominionist theocratic fascism.

Aw come on man. I hate having to grab the dictionary to see what the hell you are talking about.

FORD
08-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Aw come on man. I hate having to grab the dictionary to see what the hell you are talking about.

OK, you know how the right wingers are always paranoid about "Sharia law"?

What Bachmann and Perry want would be the "Christian" version of that. :headlights:

FORD
08-11-2011, 11:22 AM
So does Perry. And he's worse. :meinsmiley:

What makes Perry worse is his association with the BCE, Texas branch. Every Repuke pResident since 1952 has been powered by the BCE, so if they get behind Perry, that could be trouble.

As far as religious wackjobbery goes, I suspect Perry is faking it just like Chimpy did, since he's pretty much a Chimp clone all around. Bachmann actually believes it.

jhale667
08-11-2011, 11:24 AM

EXACTLY! Aside from it sounding like some zealot Dr. Evil plot, how is wanting to take over the country to force some theocratic dictatorship on everyone not considered treasonous?? It's anti-American at best...

Jagermeister
08-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Fuck I have to insert the giant roll eyes again. Be afraid of Perry. He's the real deal right now as far as I am cuntcerned.

http://www.artoftravelling.com/index_bestanden/giant_rolleyes.gif

FORD
08-11-2011, 11:44 AM
What I can't understand is how an admitted secessionist like Perry (or Moosealini, for that matter) can possibly run for ANY Federal office in the first place. If you openly declare yourself an enemy of the US government, you should be ineligible.

Jagermeister
08-11-2011, 11:45 AM
What I can't understand is how an admitted secessionist like Perry (or Moosealini, for that matter) can possibly run for ANY Federal office in the first place. If you openly declare yourself an enemy of the US government, you should be ineligible.

ARe we talking about Rick Perry?

FORD
08-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Fuck I have to insert the giant roll eyes again. Be afraid of Perry. He's the real deal right now as far as I am cuntcerned.

There's NOTHING real about Perry. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if his hair was phony too.

FORD
08-11-2011, 11:50 AM
ARe we talking about Rick Perry?

Yep.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4NZnHDmnu8

jhale667
08-11-2011, 11:52 AM

Totally. As should not understanding the basic need for church-state separation, much less openly declaring your desire to do away with it.

FORD
08-11-2011, 11:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLkpUtW0lBU

Jagermeister
08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Fuck are you guys both crazy? Wait I know the answer to that. He clearly did not say that. In the clip FORD posted that ass hat even said he stopped just short of saying it. :pullinghair: Then the douche bag from huffington said he did but he didn't.......... WTF...............

sadaist
08-11-2011, 12:43 PM
OK, you know how the right wingers are always paranoid about "Sharia law"?

What Bachmann and Perry want would be the "Christian" version of that. :headlights:

Okay, that makes more sense now. But is their version far off from the basic 10 commandments? Cause I'm pretty much fine with basing our countries laws around those. Simple & decent.

Jagermeister
08-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Okay, that makes more sense now. But is their version far off from the basic 10 commandments? Cause I'm pretty much fine with basing our countries laws around those. Simple & decent.

Simple and decent are words Liberals don't understand.

FORD
08-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Well, yes and no.

I'm fine with laws against stealing and killing, which we already have anyway. But I wouldn't want to see kids stoned for disobeying their parents, or mandatory church attendance on Sunday enforced by law. (I imagine the Jews and 7th day Adventists would have even more of a problem with that than I would)

jhale667
08-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Simple and decent are words Liberals don't understand.

Quit whining. We understand "simple" by reading your posts... :baaa: And there's nothing "decent" about trying to force one religious-zealot ideology on an entire country.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
And there's nothing "decent" about trying to force one religious-zealot ideology on an entire country.

it would be a descent

FORD
08-11-2011, 01:33 PM
it would be a descent

..right into the 9th circle of Hell http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

Jagermeister
08-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Well, yes and no.

I'm fine with laws against stealing and killing, which we already have anyway. But I wouldn't want to see kids stoned for disobeying their parents, or mandatory church attendance on Sunday enforced by law. (I imagine the Jews and 7th day Adventists would have even more of a problem with that than I would)

Why in the fuck would you even think that laws like that would get passed?

And there's nothing "decent" about trying to force one religious-zealot ideology on an entire country.

Whick "one" are you against? I just to make sure so I can agree or disagree.

jhale667
08-11-2011, 01:53 PM

The fact that people tend to vote against their own self-interests just because they hate the current POTUS for no valid reason springs to mind.

Whick "one" are you against? I just to make sure so I can agree or disagree.

All of the above. NO religion should be endorsed or enforced by the government. It's unconstitutional (as well as idiotic and intolerant).

FORD
08-11-2011, 02:10 PM

Look at all the fascist, anti-American bullshit that was passed between 2001 - 2006 with an unelected Chimp in the White House, and neocon shitbags in charge of both houses of Congress.

jhale667
08-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Look at all the fascist, anti-American bullshit that was passed between 2001 - 2006 with an unelected Chimp in the White House, and neocon shitbags in charge of both houses of Congress.

Agreed. With the Tea Potty being the tail wagging the dog of the GOP party these days, if batshit Bachmann or Perry were installed as theocratic dictators we'd be in real danger of their retarded agenda being rammed down our collective throats - or even more paralyzing governmental gridlock because they can't.

Jagermeister
08-11-2011, 02:14 PM
The fact that people tend to vote against their own self-interests just because they hate the current POTUS for no valid reason springs to mind.

I don't understand that. I don't hate the guy but I do have many valid reasons for voting aginst him.

All of the above. NO religion should be endorsed or enforced by the government. It's unconstitutional (as well as idiotic and intolerant).

I agree. I would like to the Muslim religion banned though. :biggrin:

Of course that would be unconstitutional as well.

jhale667
08-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I agree. I would like to the Muslim religion banned though. :biggrin:

Of course that would be unconstitutional as well.

True, not to mention you've already admitted you don't KNOW any Muslims, so your wanting to ban Islam is just a pathetic knee-jerk xenophobic reaction to something you clearly don't understand. Not at all shocking coming from you though...

Jagermeister
08-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Agreed. With the Tea Potty being the tail wagging the dog of the GOP party these days, if batshit Bachmann or Perry were installed as theocratic dictators we'd be in real danger of their retarded agenda being rammed down our collective throats - or even more paralyzing governmental gridlock because they can't.

That's exactly how I felt when the health care bill got rammed down my throat. Now this is really going to freak you two out. Say Obama loses in 2012. ( please god please). Guess what... I think the senate dems will have 23 seats or so up for election and the repubs only 10 in 2012. No more chance for grid lock.....................:biggrin:

sadaist
08-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Well, yes and no.

Well no, of course not stoning or forcing anyone to do anything against their will. Laws are to prevent people from doing certain things, not force them to do certain things. At least that's what I think they should be.

But take adultery for example. Imagine if that was against the law. And the punishment was giving up your claim to any community property that you would normally be entitled to half of. We get divorced for whatever reason you get half. But if we get divorced because of your infidelity, you get nothing except what was yours anyways. No alimony, no half of my pension, 401k, etc. I'd be for that.

Harsh? Don't cheat. Like to screw a lot of people? Don't get married.

LOL. anyways. Just me on a tangent based on personal experience. But in reality only a few of the commandments would really apply to law. Can't murder, lie, or steal. That's it in a nutshell. Oh, and your pants must be of the correct waist size so as to prevent your ass from being exposed. (applies to men and fat women only)

These are the laws that Sadaist decrees. So let it be written, so let it be done and what not & so forth.....

FORD
08-11-2011, 02:54 PM
That's exactly how I felt when the health care bill got rammed down my throat. Now this is really going to freak you two out. Say Obama loses in 2012. ( please god please). Guess what... I think the senate dems will have 23 seats or so up for election and the repubs only 10 in 2012. No more chance for grid lock.....................:biggrin:

Don't expect me to defend that so called "health care bill". It's a piece of shit. They need to dump it, and replace it with Medicare for All (i.e. a single payer insurance system like every other civilized nation on the planet has)