Ratt...most underrated 80's hard rock group?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Ratt...most underrated 80's hard rock group?

The more I listen to these guys, the more I think it's sad they weren't more well-known. Fucking Warren Demartini is amazing, and Pearcy has an amazing Sleezy/Razor tongued vocal style that fits very well to match the 80's Sunset Strip vibe (which the mighty Van Halen gave the blue print). Songs are amazingly catchy and infectious.

It's sad that these guys seem to only be remembered for the classic "Round and Round" video, and are just lumped in with groups like Bon Jovi and Poison.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team
  • SunisinuS
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • May 2010

Wanted Man.

Hello Dealer with Snake Eyes.

Lol fully part of what the cover bands were doing at the time (myself included at 17), and they were a somewhat welcome relief for the guitarists in the band, as they could just pure play and have fun.

They allowed the guitarists' the same freedom somewhat Night Ranger gave.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 07-04-2011, 09:24 PM. Reason: http://www.ftvgirlshardcore.com/ftv-girl-faye-videos/xnxx.html shout out to Dr. Love. Movie #4.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
      Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

I love RATT. Out of the Cellar makes it at #6 on my all-time albums list. I'd have to put Tesla on the list for underrated 80's bands as well.
      Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

Back for More has some good moves in it too.
        You can tell Warren was a big Schenker fan.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

I'd easily put 'em more than a few notches above Poser...er...Posion and Bon Jerkoff.

Kinda lost interest in them after Dancing Undercover, mostly because each successive album contained more of what sounded like calculated filler to my ears.

The Ratt EP and Out Of The Cellar follow up were excellent, though. Invasion Of Your Privacy was solid and Dancing Undercover was a decent effort.

I'd probably rank Ratt a notch above Dokken, because even though George Lynch was a motherfucker of a guitarist so was DeMartini, and Ratt came up with slightly better tunes. Pearcy had more than his fair share of meatheaded lyrics, but I'd agree he did have a distinctive voice, whereas Don Dokken had subpar lyric writing abilities coupled with a bland as fuck set of pipes.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Ratt was always good background music while chasing and fucking 80's skanks. Man I miss those days.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• SunisinuS
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • May 2010

Damn Terry. You ate up my last thanks of the day. Good Un' Ya.

I am grateful for all of you VH fans. This season. In the coming moment's, I wish all of you the best season of your lives.

Peace Out.
              Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Matt White
                • Jun 2004

They were well known back in the day......83-84

Couldn't keep it together for more than a couple of cds......

"Way Cool JR" was the end of the line......

Warren is a monster.....cool guitars too

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme

It's sad that these guys seem to only be remembered for the classic "Round and Round" video, and are just lumped in with groups like Bon Jovi and Poison.

I was supposed to see them on the Invasion tour with Bon Jovi opening up. New years Eve - San Diego Sports Arena. I got in trouble the night of & the tix went to older brother. I saw them the next tour around with Poison opening up. Ratt was incredible and gets a lot of shit. I can't tell you how much shit I have gotten for admitting I am a Ratt fan.

But they have some great fucking music! Very underrated band that got lumped in with all the hair/glam metal bands like Slaughter/Cinderella. Ratt is leaps above those guys.
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• lesfunk
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Never a big fan of Ratt but The did have some real catchy riffs
                    http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                      i seem to remember Ratt being bigger than you seem to think they were.

I saw them the next tour around with Poison opening up. Ratt was incredible and gets a lot of shit. I can't tell you how much shit I have gotten for admitting I am a Ratt fan.
                      i saw Ratt that tour, also. at Blossom. i left early because the sound was horrible. almost like it was loud just for the sake of being loud. musically loud is one thing, being loud so you can say "hey, we're louder" than whoever is another. back then, Blossom may have been a hard venue to mix at, i dunno. it was built for an orchestra with pop/rock as an afterthought. but it was halfway through something and i said to my friend "hey, this is Wanted Man."
                      Last edited by twonabomber; 07-05-2011, 01:52 AM.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Their early shit wasn't too bad, I guess. I'll admit I thought songs like "Round and Round", "Wanted Man", "Back For More" and the like were OK. But "Way Cool Jr" is about the point I gave up on them, and figured they were sellouts like AeroSHIT turned into about the same time.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

They made some cool stuff, although it hasn't aged that welll.

I'd argue that Tesla are the most underrated band in that stlye of music; with Cinderella a close second. That latter were much, much more than just another hair band.
                          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Tesla deserves some credit for kicking off the "unplugged" trend of the late 80's/early 90's, if for nothing else. "Five Man Acoustical Jam" is the only Tesla CD I own to this day, but it's still a damn good album, from the Stones & Dead covers to the crazy improvised bits about good ol' Country boys from Nashville.

That album alone lifted them above the sea of hairspray and makeup of the hair band scene.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Their first two records are damn good. A little more clean cut than most of Sunset Strip, but with better songs.
                              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...