PDA

View Full Version : Crue ,Poison show

THEDOCTOR
07-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Ok folks I went to see the Crue/Poison show last night at The Hard Rock in Hollywood Florida.
Let me preface this by saying that even if I sound critical or nitpicky,I still had a great time,and I don't drink so it wasn't because of blurred perceptions.
Got there running a little late and The NY Dolls had about 4 songs left. I cannot emphasize how much I disliked them. The singer looked like a cross between William HMacy and Mick Jagger in his most heroin infested days. I'm not a fan of punk,especially when mixed with 70's glam on men too old to pull off any of it. I'm not really a fan of theirs anyways ,so...I'll just leave it at,ugh Im glad I had to hear only 4 ......songs.
Next up was Poison. Before they even started ,visually a few things stood out. Brett Michaels was noticeably thin. The medical issues leaned him down to weight I havent seen since 87. He did look healthy ,just a lot thinner. In contrast ,Rikki Rocket should apparently be getting a sponsorship from Krispy Kreme. Good Lord how can he be a drummer and be so damn fat! CC Deville is sporting long hair now and Boby Dall looks the same as he has for years.
They had half a stage to work with ,and let me tell you,these guys worked every fucking inch of it. They played their asses off. Knock them all you want but Poison brings it. And the thing that always impresses me? They look like they are having a fucking blast PLAYING for us. Smiling ,joking with each other,kickin each other in the butt for fun,smiling....it makes the audience join in with their fun. They sounded good,and do love to ham it up even in their songs,but its all in good fun. They had a short setlist playing all their notables with a few standing out they didnt have time for like I want Action,I Wont Forget You,Cry Tough ,and Something To Believe In being absent. From an insider,I hear that Crue is being real dicks to them,so Im sure time constraints factored in. Also,the camera man for the two screens seemed to go to fucking sleep after the NY Dolls set,and film mostly wide scgreen whole stage during Poison,only to come to and be spot on again during Crue. Conspiracy? Id have to say probably. Even with that being said,Brett was extremely gracious in his comments of the other bands. He also was very humble in his compliments to his bandmates and in particular his best friend since middle school ,Rikki Rocket. Seems his near death made him realize he needed to set some things right and I think thats what he's doing.
CC 's solo was a mixture of shredding and playing with the crowd with his usual bit of Eruption thrown in(he has done that ever since the first time I saw them in 87). Rikki's drum solo was fun,but not amazing. And Brett had a bit o'harmonica fun.
The last song was Nuthin But A Good Time,and Lita Ford jumped onstage. However she didnt know the fuckin words to this song(how the fuck do you not know that song's chorus!?!) so she mostly stood their looking retarded. Give her a guitar next time,or know the words Lita!
Poison rocked. They were fun. They were limited and still put on a great show.
Their set was just a good,fun party with everyone singing along with smiles all around.
Give me a bit and I'll post my thoughts on Crue.....

Seshmeister
07-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Did you notice the backing tapes?

I think Crue and Poison should sound a lot better these days with new technology.

sadaist
07-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Good job on the Poison review. You made me kinda like them by the end of reading that. Glad you had fun. Kinda a bummer they couldn't play "I won't forget you" as that is about the only song I like from them.

I hope the rumors of Crue being dicks are false. I hate to think of them being like that when they have nothing to prove. (I know it's probably true. Just don't like to believe it)

THEDOCTOR
07-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Motley Crue- After Poison's departure the stage was opened up considerably and a large curtain erected in the front. Most people did the normal between bands ritual of going for a piss or drink ,or both.
We stayed in our seats chatting and with no warning a large explosion sounded from the stage,my shpincter tightened in shock,and the curtain fell to signify that without warning...Crue had arrived. Half the venue recovered from the shock and the other half scrambled to zip up and scramble into the venue.
Opening with Wild Side,huge columns of smoke soon filled the arena,and red lighting cast a devilish pallor over the crowd. Crue came on strong playing hard and loud,letting you know this was an in your face punch they were trying to deliver.
Vince- This will be a shock to no one who has seen them- lazy singer,high energy-left out a LOT of words,but works the crowd admirably. Lots of wa how wa how wa howing and signature Vince high screams,in the place of actually singing the song. Sounds good when singing but has a tendency to change ,melodies ,most notably on Home Sweet Home,that chafe against what I think are better original melodies.
Tommy-Perpetual kid-never ever changes,still that 17 year old who plays with reckless abandon,and showy exaggerated movements.Solid as a rock for their songs. Still amusing personality.
Nikki- Stage stalker,haunts the crowd and stirs them up,sings the back ups and cheers everyone on. Plays a lot with only one hand,but thats ok....he wrote this stuff,he gets a pass.
Mick- Small,hunched,shambles visibly and stays away from the spotlight. His illness may have taken away his mobility but it didnt touch his hands.They fly over the frets and the fucker wails,without being masturbatory. His notes are chosen and they fit nciely ,making memorable riffs and solos and he plays in a way that people might not think hes great....but listen and you will know that he IS.
The camera was right on catching everyone in their moments(yeah wow where was he during Poison,hmmm?) and they had two girls onstage in various states of undress dancing and singing back up,sometimes more of the song than Vince(wa how wa how wa how) and the imagery was that of the stage perormers and themed images to each song. They played a long set with songs chosen by the fans online. I agreed with most,although missing was one of my favs -10 Secs To Love.
Most sounded good,with the exception of Too Young To Fall In Love-It sounded murky and just bad.
Tommy's drum solo was a thirty foot high circle,that his drum set and him,"rode" the inside of being upside down at the top. It was pretty cool but I have to say,the actual drumming wasnt exceptional like he used to bring to his solos. I remember being wowed by him by both aspects,drumming and gimmics. But hey,at least he is DOING a drum solo and not flying around like Peter Pan spinning fucking records and chanting "Yeah" anymore.
One thing Vince said that produced visible and audible gasps-"Well we've been together 35 years now....(made a shooting gun gesture to his head)....and we havent killed anyone yet!" I looked around to see many shocked faces like mine at that statement.I guess he forgot about frazzling Razzle on his ill fated beer run and maiming a few people to boot. But hey,he did his time for manslaughter(3 months) and hasn't had a dui again right? SHHHHHHHHH
Massive explosions,loud playing,a ginormous set with round screen and smoke smoke smoke! Loud screams and shredding and power drums! Hot chicks and fireworks! A typical Crue big show that felt.....
like they were overcompensating . It felt as though they were afraid of Poison,limiting and quite possibly sabotaging their show giving them half of everything.
Im not saying Poison was better,but they were just as good,with half the time,stage,and fireworks.
Seems to me Nikki shouldn't be slagging them so much.
I had a really good time,and just laughed off Crue's obvious shortcomings,because Ive seen them so many times it didnt surprise me.What did surprise me is the fear they had in their opening act.
Go see this show. You wont be disappointed,if you go in with eyes open on what to expect. Just do as I do....fill in for Vince for those words he leaves out.....
Wa how wa how wa how!

THEDOCTOR
07-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Update: I just received a cease and desist letter from Motley Crue's lawyers. Apparently Wa How Wa How Wa How™​ is a registered trademark of Vince Neil.

Seshmeister
07-06-2011, 01:12 PM
One thing Vince said that produced visible and audible gasps-"Well we've been together 35 years now....(made a shooting gun gesture to his head)....and we havent killed anyone yet!" I looked around to see many shocked faces like mine at that statement.

He really is a fucking idiot hole.

Thanks for the review, I know I couldn't have done that gig sober. :)

sadaist
07-06-2011, 01:12 PM
"Well we've been together 35 years now....

?

That can't be right. 1976? Vince was 15 years old and wouldn't hook up with the boys for another 5 years. Nitpicking I know......WA HOW MOTHERFUCKERS, WA HOW!

:biggrin:

Nitro Express
07-06-2011, 01:18 PM
We didn't kill anybody Vince killed somebody. Then he continues to drive drunk.

Seshmeister
07-06-2011, 01:29 PM
?

That can't be right. 1976? Vince was 15 years old and wouldn't hook up with the boys for another 5 years. Nitpicking I know......WA HOW MOTHERFUCKERS, WA HOW!

:biggrin:

He probably stole the line from Roth...

Seshmeister
07-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Weird that after the US tour they go on to Australia but with Brett Michaels solo, not the rest of the Poison.

Could they not get visas?

Jagermeister
07-06-2011, 04:00 PM
That's awesome Doc.

Man I rarely miss a chance to see Poison because they do put on a great show.

sonrisa salvaje
07-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Update: I just received a cease and desist letter from Motley Crue's lawyers. Apparently Wa How Wa How Wa How™​ is a registered trademark of Vince Neil.

How many times did Vince say "Let me see your hands tonight." ?

lesfunk
07-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Good job on the review DOCTOR. You couldn't get me to that show if you paid me though. Glad you had a good time. That's what it's aboot

VAiN
07-06-2011, 09:16 PM
A friend of mine went and was right up front... Here are some videos he took...

And the Crue..