PDA

View Full Version : Tough Times Get Worse....

Hardrock69
07-12-2011, 12:32 PM
I been having a rough time this year financially. All my credit cards have been cancelled. At least now AMEX is not calling....as they turned my accounts over to collection agencies.

Then my cousin died last month. We still do not know for sure why, but suspect liver failure, as he was a bad alcoholic his entire adult life. I mean REALLY bad.

But that is not the worst of it.

My Dad had a stroke 3 years ago and his left side has been paralyzed ever since. Docs told us that the circulation in his left leg was going to get worse, and eventually drastic action would have to be taken.

Well, 'eventually' came today. My Dad is going under the knife to have his left leg amputated just above the kneecap. His left foot was beginning to die due to the bad circulation, the tissue is beginning to break down (gangrene) and this operation is necessary to save and or extend his life.
He has been in severe pain for the past month or so, and this is the next necessary step.

Due to his stroke, Dad's mentally faculties are not always up to speed. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. My Mom told me yesterday that she had not been told what the docs decided to do until after she got home from the hospital yesterday. So she asked me to break the news to him last night after I got off work.

Toughest thing I ever had to tell my Dad. Needless to say it was not the happiest of moments.

I managed to make him laugh though, after a few minutes, by telling him I would be bringing him his Captain Ahab costume later in the week.

I have not told him what the Docs have told the family....that it is likely he is not going to be around more than another year or so. :(

When it rains it pours.

Am not expecting things to get better this year. Banks have not foreclosed on my property yet, as I am doing a sort of structured repayment plan with them to get back 'current' on my house payments.

But I trust banks like I would trust a cobra.

Just wanted to vent a bit that's all. Our family has had it good since I have been around.....not an awful lot in the way of doom and destruction, but this year it has really hit the fan.

At least I have the Army to help me laugh a bit, even when going through the rough patches in life.

ThrillsNSpills
07-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Hey good luck man. It's crazy, cotton, gas and sugar are on the rise.

Play for your father the crazy neighbor that screams hate and your plans to make her the singer of one of your recording projects.
That'll make him laugh.

Hardrock69
07-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Now THAT is a good idea, lol.

Nitro Express
07-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Glad we can at least make you laugh Hardrock. Hang in there, it always gets better after the storm. We just got unfocused and greedy as a society and now it's all coming to roost. Our grandparents had to deal with a depression and a world war. 15 years of pure shit. They got through it and things got better. Times like these sepparate the men from the boys. All it means is we have to go with less, be smarter, grow up faster and on the back side we come out smarter and stronger. Society needed to be bitch slapped back to sense.

Our generation enjoyed some of the best years in world history. Van Halen was a big part of that party. I ate and smiled. I look forward to more fun times once this current shit has passed.

VAiN
07-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Sorry to hear about the shitty year, man... Keep your head up. Gotta roll with the punches, to get to what's real...

SunisinuS
07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Have it cleaned and mounted above the fireplace (least that is what I plan to do when the arthritis becomes so bad in my ankle), and then with the kick ass bionic limb they got going these days freak out the kids in the neighborhood. :)

Life is hard but you do the best with what you got.

I wish him a safe and speedy recovery.

clarathecarrot
07-12-2011, 01:54 PM
The grass allways looks greener on the other side of the street HR.
You are not alone.

I never liked the quote, God only gives you what you can bear.. Bullshit..( fogive my language) .

I have a fucked year also seems the older we get the more family and friends we loose and the more responsibility loads on our neck sometimes I describe it as a yoke and I think I cannot pull this wagon full any longer.

All I can say is keep the faith faith, in that things will work out as they should and soon enough things will work thier way down to a easily more understandable workable scenario that can be completed and shelved to open up some new horizons.

ThrillsNSpills
07-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Have it cleaned and mounted above the fireplace (least that is what I plan to do when the arthritis becomes so bad in my ankle), and then with the kick ass bionic limb they got going these days freak out the kids in the neighborhood. :)

Check out a book called A Cure For Arthritis by Pablo Airola .

standin
07-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Hang in there. There decent is not as bad as it seems when you are in the free fall. You'll still look back when it it through and have some good memories.

Remember, they can't eat you, well they can but they won't know about it. ;)

I recall one of my landlords after I let go of the house (I had to chose medicine or owning a home). He was an very old school old man. He had a helper he employed sometimes. My heart was in serious trouble by this point. The old man was concerned that I had not had children and was alone. He brought this helper around for handy work. He introduced him and proudly said the helper had had 12 children. He went on to explain how with his red hair, blue eyes, robustness (6' tall and could swing an ax with ease) we were a fine match and his helper was a "proven" male. I kid you not he used those words, "proven male". :biggrin: The first thing I noticed was the tattoo on the helpers arm of a gold spray paint can. Never mind the fact he had 12 kids. :lmao:

About your Dad, you should tell him. I kind of resent the lack of honest by omission I experienced. I knew something was up when I was worried about my smoking and my doctor was saying smoke all you want. :bingesmoking: Maybe, the docs didn't know how quickly my wearing heart monitor was coming, but if I had known the graveness of my condition I had a few people I would have called told them to hang it on howdy dooty mountain. What I am saying one should have as much time as possible to do what they need to do for that F-line train hits the deck.

Oh that reminds me... there was a song that helped me along. I haven't heard this in years, but I still keep a DNR order. It is kind of pointless now, but it is comforting and let's me feel in control somewhat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVx2mjjBvis

Prayers for you and yours, ~`~

Hardrock69
07-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys.

chefcraig
07-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Check out a book called A Cure For Arthritis by Pablo Airola .

Or do a Google search for women with large areolas. It really will cheer you up immediately, unless you happen to be at work and your boss inconveniently sneaks up on you. (Trust me on this :ashamed:)

I'm sorry to hear about this wave of crap that you are swimming through, brother. It seems the older we get, the more difficult it is to negotiate it. I don't have anything even remotely profound to offer you, other than in the past few years it has been my experience that you simply have to roll with it, and hope for better times. I'm keenly aware of how lame that sounds, but it's the truth. Surround yourself with good friends and family, and persevere. Ask yourself "What would Dave do?", and muster forth.

And remember, we are all here at the ARMY for you to commiserate with.

Etienne
07-12-2011, 03:27 PM
A few years back my dad had a stroke too. He was out of the sudden, from day to another, disabled, he couldn't even speak right anymore. It was a shock for all of us, family. In the last years with a hard training my father got almost his whole health back (fingers crossed).

What I'm trying to say is, maybe I can imagine what are you going through.

Keep your head up, all the best for you, your family and especially for your dad.

fifth element
07-12-2011, 08:06 PM
sorry to hear about all the problems that have come your way in this year.

my thoughts and prayers will be w/ you and yours...

kwame k
07-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Hey buddy......I got nothing either in the way of something profound or enlightening to share so................

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/big-breasts-116-1.jpg

Keep your head up and if you ever need someone to talk to let me know!

Matt White
07-12-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm with you HR.........

My Godmother passed away a month ago, suddenly, from cancer..........

So far 2011 GETS THE FINGER!!! :fufu:

Hardrock69
07-13-2011, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Dad woke up this afternoon....one sock too many, as Monty Python says.

He is weak (to be expected), and had fast heart rate and low blood pressure afterwards. He is stable and the surgeon gave him a good prognosis, but he is not as stable as they would like. But he is in good hands, and I am sure they will get him taken care of.

Am going to see him tomorrow.

Laffing at Kwame. Thanks man. I need to be able to laugh right now.

Sorry to hear of your loss Matt. Yes, 2011 is fucked.

Will post an update tomorrow evening.

Cheers everybody.

kwame k
07-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Glad to hear your Dad's doing, OK!

My parents both went through some health issues....Mom a stroke and my Dad had pancreatitis right around the same time [main reason I'm here in Michigan] it's rough, man!

We take for granted that our parents will always be there and they won't but it sounds like you're stepping up to the plate and being an awesome son.

Thoughts and prayers, bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sensible Shoes
07-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Best WIshes for better things SOON.

I'm right there with you - friend diagnosed with stage 4 cancer today - my own situation just crap - don't know why God plays games with us BUT we are made of tough stuff around here. Imagine - if you can handle all the shit everybody dishes out here, what's a little medical setback, financial turmoil and death?

(big grin)

Seriously, things have got to get better, and I pray that they do.

binnie
07-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Best wishes HR.

It seems bad luck has a momentum of its own.

Little Texan
07-15-2011, 01:30 AM
2011 has been a rotten year for me as well. A few months ago I lost a young cousin (20) to a car wreck, and I've been having extreme financial difficulties as well, along with battling a severe bout of depression. Also, it has been the hottest and driest year around here that I've ever experienced in my life. I'm so ready for this shit ass year to be over with! Hope things get better for you, HR.

SunisinuS
07-15-2011, 02:33 AM
2011 has been a rotten year for me as well. A few months ago I lost a young cousin (20) to a car wreck, and I've been having extreme financial difficulties as well, along with battling a severe bout of depression. Also, it has been the hottest and driest year around here that I've ever experienced in my life. I'm so ready for this shit ass year to be over with! Hope things get better for you, HR.

Ain't no thang but a chicken whang. Army's have set backs. The fact is we are all casualties here.

[insert favorite poster here]

Life ain't nothing too new...you been doing it since you were born.*TM

;)

fifth element
07-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Life ain't nothing too new...you been doing it since you were born.*TM

;)

i may use that...=)

High Life Man
07-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Keep your chin up, HR. Like someone else posted, we will all get through this.

sadaist
07-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Yes, 2011 is fucked.

Cheers everybody.

Indeed. So much bullshit & pain everyone is dealing with. I'm thankful for this site for helping me keep some sanity. My thoughts are with you HR. And to all my other Army brethren taking it on the chin right now. Let's hope everything gets better & we close out this shit year with a kick ass VH album.

SunisinuS
07-18-2011, 11:56 PM
You Wise Magic Saidist.

jhale667
07-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Best wishes to your dad, you and your family HR.

Hardrock69
07-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks man. Dad is doing as well as can be expected. Am visiting as often as I can, trying to make the best of the situation. Could be worse I guess.

Diamondjimi
07-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Missed this thread... Sorry to hear the new HR. Hope everything works out and turns around for you and your family real soon, bro.

Was talkin to a buddy of mine down south, and he said he's actually run into people like this character... :biggrin:

Hardrock69
07-19-2011, 12:54 AM
I have no doubts he has, lol. This is "Good Ole Bwah Land" down here. :D

And thanks, DJ. :)

Diamondjimi
07-19-2011, 01:31 AM
The farthest south I've been is South Carolina (Sparkie's neighbourhood). Met a lotta good southern folk when I was there.
To actually meet someone like that and actually have a conversation with, would crack me up. Up here, it's somewhat opposite
of how the States have it. Up here all the hicks and hillbilly's live way the fuck up north... :biggrin:

SunisinuS
07-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Up here all the hicks and hillbilly's live way the fuck up north... :biggrin:

Conceived in Miss...but born in Mich.

Watch out.

Hardrock69
07-21-2011, 12:18 AM
Born in Arkansas. Raised in Arkansas, Tennessee, Illinois, and Kansas. Watch out. :D

sadaist
07-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Born in Arkansas. Raised in Arkansas, Tennessee, Illinois, and Kansas. Watch out. :D

Now I have that song in my head from Steve Martin....

Born in Arizona, Moved to Babylonia......King Tut!

SunisinuS
07-21-2011, 12:31 AM

See this hand? Smack!

SunisinuS
07-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Keep it secret. Keep it Safe. Hardrock69. You know just like the Army that there is no way that you are going anywhere without us.

Hardrock69
07-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Shhhhh.....
:)