PDA

View Full Version : Human Rights Watch: Prosecute Bush for Torture

standin
07-14-2011, 06:30 AM
One of the most vocal human rights groups in the U.S. is calling on foreign governments to prosecute President George W. Bush and his former cabinet for war crimes, given that the Obama administration has avoided the issue. In a report published today, New York-based Human Rights Watch says Bush, former vice president Dick Cheney, former defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld and former CIA director George Tenet could be prosecuted under the 1996 War Crimes Act among other laws. "There is enough strong evidence from the information made public over the past five years to not only suggest these officials authorized and oversaw widespread and serious violations of US and international law, but that they failed to act to stop mistreatment, or punish those responsible after they became aware of serious abuses," read the report. It accused the Bush administration of approving waterboarding, authorizing the CIA's detention program and carrying out illegal abductions involving torture, saying an investigation is necessary "if the US hopes to wipe away the stain of Abu Ghraib and Guantánamo and reaffirm the primacy of the rule of law." The author of the report, Reed Brody, says he's calling on an investigation now because. "It's become abundantly clear that there is no longer any movement on the part of the Obama administration to live up to its responsibilities to investigate these cases." As the BBC notes, President Bush has "defended some of the techniques, saying they prevented attacks and saved lives."
Related: Will Ferrell Dusts Off His Bush Impression

Want to add to this story? Comment below or send the author of this post, John Hudson, an email. Have a hot tip or story idea? Let us know on the Open Wire.

http://news.yahoo.com/human-rights-watch-prosecute-bush-torture-123500573.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It must be another country that does this. Please support Bush's accountability. ~`~

BigBadBrian
07-14-2011, 07:18 AM
http://www.oliverthring.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/spam.jpg

WACF
07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Not on the Bush topic...but I found this very interesting...

http://youtu.be/xss-1pyB2Vo

standin
07-14-2011, 01:51 PM
If Bigbadbrain is against it you know it is a good idea.

WAFC, got transcript? :tongue0011:

sadaist
07-14-2011, 02:09 PM
If Bigbadbrain is against it you know it is a good idea.

Yeah, but he posted a picture of a can of SPAM. Yummy! I fry up slices about the size of french fries and have them with eggs over easy. Gross to think about for sure. But motherfuck if it isn't delicious as all get up.

Actually, I have yet to find a bad breakfast meat product.

Okay, this was my one thread derailment for today. Carry on. :hee:

PETE'S BROTHER
07-14-2011, 02:12 PM
:headlights:

Nickdfresh
07-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah, but he posted a picture of a can of SPAM. Yummy! I fry up slices about the size of french fries and have them with eggs over easy. Gross to think about for sure. But motherfuck if it isn't delicious as all get up.

Actually, I have yet to find a bad breakfast meat product.

Okay, this was my one thread derailment for today. Carry on. :hee:

About the only way I can eat Spam is with eggs. Everything else it overpowers as a combination of dogfood/salt lick...

It is good with eggs though...

Seshmeister
07-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Not on the Bush topic...but I found this very interesting...

http://youtu.be/xss-1pyB2Vo

Has this guy done any pieces on the orthodox Israelis who are every bit as bad in their treatment of women, I'm guessing no.

WACF
07-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Has this guy done any pieces on the orthodox Israelis who are every bit as bad in their treatment of women, I'm guessing no.

Could not tell you...I do not follow everything he does or says.

I do know he has issues with the Canadian Jewish Congress...what they are I do not know.

Regardless...his points in my opinion are valid on this issue.

He is also a supporter of the Canadian Muslim Congress...so anti-Islam is not his thing.

Seshmeister
07-14-2011, 11:29 PM
I only raised it because I think he's a big Israel supporter and it seems to me if you want to attack another culture you need to be able to withstand the hypocrisy accusation otherwise it looks like you have an agenda.

The sack costume is obviously a fucking disgrace. I'm not sure what you can do about it apart from educate though.

Uncomfortable as it is if you take the French approach and try and ban it you may well end up with 2 shitty problems.

a) It's not acceptable IMHO for the government to decide what you can wear. It's a breach of freedom in the same way that it's unacceptable for Iranian militants to stop women in the street and question their dress. Where does it end, a government ban on say mohicans or long hair for guys. 'It upsets and confuses the children...'

b) If the situation is fucked up to that extent it seems likely that all that happens if you ban is that they just aren't allowed outside at all.

Blaze
07-15-2011, 11:57 PM
How does dressing have anything to do with Bush needing to be held accountable?

It does not.

But there is something wrong in the world when a person cannot dress modestly without hassle. Case in point:

In the World, But Not of It
The Adventures of an Almost-Plain Friend

Philip W. Helms

I dislike travelling by air. A person of plain appearance attracts a measure of unwelcome attention in most airports, chiefly from those handling security measures. In Detroit, although my bag and I passed through the metal detectors without difficulty, security insisted on inspecting my hat and the top of my head beneath the hat, to assure that no contraband was concealed there. In Los Angeles, the same bag and I were unable to clear the metal detectors, a curious phenomenon, since nothing had changed between Detroit and Los Angeles. Security required me to empty my pockets, and seemed upset that I was not carrying a wallet; this is suspect in our culture. They concluded the metal clasps of my suspenders had upset the metal detector, but posed no greater hazard. They did not check under my hat.

http://www.michiganquakers.org/Helms.oym.htm

I do not know what that video states, as I am not partaking of video except of necessity. I can tell you that any and every culture has homes plagued by domestic violence. I assume that is what you are talking about because not anything else is issuance. How people choose to live with the exclusion of harm is not your choice to make.

In the secular world, many people choose to partake in various forms of relations. Do you interfere when a couple is together and one is half-naked? Do you say to the naked one, you are degrading yourself? No, you do not.
Granted, some people wear clothing for reasons we do not know.

I will be going to Germany soon, God willing, I have been asked to wear heels. Should I not wear heels simply because I have been told that it would please? They can be very uncomfortable you know.

As I have been spending time with the Plain Folk I have found that I wish to wear a head covering, however I find myself fearful to wear such garb. Is it not wrong that I cannot choose to follow my desire? Why should I feel a need to make others feel less guilt about their nakedness? Because most often the ones that show scorn are the ones in short shorts and a tank or other some such attire. Yes, it is true; one should not do a thing that causes another discomfort that goes two ways. Moreover, some have trouble being satisfied with their own well-being and to those you should just show mercy and gentle care.

Blaze
07-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Anyway, Back on topic.

Prosecute Bush for war crimes

One of the most vocal human rights groups in the U.S. is calling on foreign governments to prosecute President George W. Bush and his former cabinet for war crimes

It is only fitting that another country does this. It would be wrong for Obama to do such.

VAiN
07-16-2011, 02:09 AM
How much of that is 20/20 hindsight or just half informed?

standin
07-16-2011, 10:52 PM
How much of that is 20/20 hindsight or just half informed?

"The US has a legal obligation to investigate these crimes," Roth said. "If the US doesn't act on them, other countries should."
In August 2009, US Attorney General Eric Holder appointed Assistant US Attorney John Durham to investigate detainee abuse but limited the probe to "unauthorized" acts. That meant the investigation could not cover acts of torture, such as waterboarding, and other ill-treatment authorized by Bush administration lawyers, even if the acts violated domestic and international law.
http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2011/07/11/united-states-investigate-bush-other-top-officials-torture

Vain, it would be nice to be able to charge him with harsher crimes. It would be nice to charge him with an illegal war, and perhaps claw-back some of the fraud assets lost lost to misappropriations. However, the humanity crimes are more important. Is it hind sight, I do not think so. Would it have been devastating to charge a siting president and his cohorts? Yes, it would have been. I am not certain what you mean by half informed. Simply because the full extent was not known, did not make the crime(s) non-existent.

standin
07-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Click here to download now (http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/us0711webwcover.pdf)

Descargar resumen y recomendaciones en español (PDF, 249.92 KB)
Click here to download now (http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/TortureSpanish.pdf)

Download the summary and recommendations in Arabic (PDF, 5.87 MB)
Click here to download now (http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/TortureArabic.pdf)

概要と勧告(日本語)ダウンロードはこちら (PDF, 484.75 KB)
Click here to download now (http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/Getting%20Away%20with%20Torture%20Japanese.pdf)

Télécharger le résumé et les recommandations en français (PDF, 129.85 KB)
Click here to download now (http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/us0711frsumandrecs_0.pdf)

Purchase this report in print
Click here to purchase now (http://www.kintera.org/site/apps/ka/ec/product.asp?c=dhLOK6PGLoF&b=3444291&en=hkL1K7NHKfKUJ2PIIgKUK2OHLiJ2JjOUIhJSJ2MQIpJ5LlN 6G&ProductID=976978)

Getting Away with Torture

Summary

Recommendations

I. Background: Official Sanction for Crimes against Detainees

II. Torture of Detainees in US Counterterrorism Operations

III. Individual Criminal Responsibility

Appendix: Foreign State Proceedings Regarding US Detainee Mistreatment

Acknowledgments and Methodology

Seshmeister
07-17-2011, 01:27 AM
It won't happen.

Once you get to the 'A+' list you are basically immune from prosecution. Some people here last year tried to get the pope arrested as an accessory to child rape when he visited. He's pretty much undeniably got a case to answer with documents showing his complicity whereby he states in writing the church should take precedence over the victim. Anyone non A+ VIP would have as bare minimum been interviewed by the cops.

It was thrown out before it even reached court basically on the basis that he was an important person.

I'm all for the people that fight this shit but I don't think they will ever get a result.

Nitro Express
07-17-2011, 01:33 AM
Bush has too many low friends in high places. Too many people made a lot of money thanks to him. He spurred a whole new security and war industry and was more than happy to bail the banking elite out.

standin
07-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Though child rape is more than horrid, it is not a crime against humanity.
I wish it was, Sesh. I wish it was.

The Pope is a head of state. As such, he should be over-thrown or have left office, before his accountability begins.

The Pope is not comparable to Bush.

The Vatican is not secular, to begin the Pope's dis-fellowship is a whole other route.

standin
07-17-2011, 01:56 AM
Bush has too many low friends in high places. Too many people made a lot of money thanks to him. He spurred a whole new security and war industry and was more than happy to bail the banking elite out.

That is just rumor. Bush's "friends" as you put it are compelled by their money. Therefore their money and what it represents can be manipulated.

Nitro Express
07-17-2011, 03:55 AM
That is just rumor. Bush's "friends" as you put it are compelled by their money. Therefore their money and what it represents can be manipulated.

Who manipulates though? Unless there's a changing of the guard at the top Bush has nothing to worry about. He will hide behind Secret Service security for the rest of his life.

Nickdfresh
07-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Though child rape is more than horrid, it is not a crime against humanity.
I wish it was, Sesh. I wish it was.

It is, if child rape (and rape in general) are used as a weapon of war and repression as it so often is in African wars and other conflicts...

WACF
07-19-2011, 04:53 PM
How does dressing have anything to do with Bush needing to be held accountable?

Not much...other than a human right's group going after Bush...which will never happen...while remainig silent on the Subjection of Women in our own Countries...where we claim we are all equal and protected as such under our nation's law.

I just think there are battles for them to point out...and going after Bush will go nowhere but make them look like they care.
When they remain silent one ones that will cause a backlash.