PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Wolfgang

Seshmeister
07-18-2011, 08:42 AM
I have to admit I've never played one of these never mind owned one.

Saw one advertised online at a cheap price but it says 'Made in Korea'.

Are the Korean ones shit?

Matt White
07-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Never played the Korean model either....

the reviews I've read at Musician's Friend & such have been nothing but positive............

always wanted to get myself one of the Amber ones myself.....................

I've got the USA model & always been over the moon about it.....................

VAiN
07-18-2011, 10:41 AM
I have 2 USA's... a Standard and Special, and I love them both... I've never played a Korean model, but I think you'd be better off sticking with a USA model. You can pick up a Special on Ebay for about $700/$750ish... IMO, that's a lot of bang for the buck.

This site has a decent amount of info: LINK (http://rocknrollweekend.com/other.php) and here: LINK (http://rocknrollweekend.com/koreanwolf.htm)

Here's the write up on the Koreans...

Special EXP (Korean Made) - List Price of $899.00

Unless price is a major concern, I would avoid this guitar. While some of these guitars are OK, the quality on many is bad. You can read about it below. It is the ONLY Wolfgang made outside the U.S. It can be identified by a quilt top (Maroon, Blue, Amber or Sunburst) and only one knob (volume but no tone). Actually, you can't call it a top as it is a .020 thin slice of veneer that is glued on. Thus, this guitar will not have the tonal qualities of one with a maple top. The tops look nice on these, but that is where it ends. Cheaper hardware, neck, etc. These were first offered in 2003.

Seshmeister
07-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Unless price is a major concern, I would avoid this guitar. While some of these guitars are OK, the quality on many is bad. You can read about it below. It is the ONLY Wolfgang made outside the U.S. It can be identified by a quilt top (Maroon, Blue, Amber or Sunburst) and only one knob (volume but no tone). Actually, you can't call it a top as it is a .020 thin slice of veneer that is glued on. Thus, this guitar will not have the tonal qualities of one with a maple top. The tops look nice on these, but that is where it ends. Cheaper hardware, neck, etc. These were first offered in 2003.

Thanks for this.

I was wondering about just taking a punt on it, it's on sale for only £300. Guitars are more expensive here than in the States so that's like $300 which made me think that there had to be something wrong. If it's not even the same hardware I won't bother.

Seshmeister
07-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Here's the link if someone else in the UK is interested.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/peavey-wolfgang-special-guitar/84291617

Just noticed he's also throwing in a boss mt 2 pedal as well.

VAiN
07-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks for this.

I was wondering about just taking a punt on it, it's on sale for only £300. Guitars are more expensive here than in the States so that's like $300 which made me think that there had to be something wrong. If it's not even the same hardware I won't bother.

The necks, pegs and electronics will be of lesser quality for sure... It may cost a bit more, but go with a USA model if you come across one. I picked up a '99 goldtop special a little over a year ago for $750, shipped with hard case. It's just about mint condition and I LOVE it...

Seshmeister
07-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah the neck is the killer for me, other things can be sorted. I've already got a few spares, I don't need another guitar that will just lie there because it doesn't have a nice neck. I'm not a collector.

jhale667
07-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I played one of the Korean Wolfgangs once and was not impressed as I recall...agree if you're going to get one go with a USA model...

jero
07-19-2011, 03:45 AM
Just noticed he's also throwing in a boss mt 2 pedal as well.

There must be a good reason for that