PDA

View Full Version : Retirement my ass!!

lionsfan
01-12-2004, 01:54 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpa2lpNnFzBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=ap-astros-clemens&prov=ap&type=lgns

AP Source: Clemens shuns retirement to join Astros

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
January 12, 2004

Roger Clemens is pushing back his retirement, agreeing to a one-year contract with the Houston Astros, a baseball source told The Associated Press on Monday.

The six-time Cy Young Award winner had said for more than a year that he planned to quit after pitching last season for the New York Yankees.

But he was persuaded to join the Astros, his hometown team, after close friend and former Yankees teammate Andy Pettitte signed with Houston last month.

The Astros called a news conference for Monday. Clemens agreed to a contract Sunday, the source said on condition of anonymity.

Clemens, 41, was 17-9 with a 3.91 ERA last season, his fifth with the Yankees. He spent his first 13 seasons in Boston, then went to Toronto for two years before moving on to New York, where he won World Series titles in 1999 and 2000.

His 310-160 record puts him 17th on the career wins list, and his 4,099 strikeouts place him third behind Nolan Ryan (5,714) and Steve Carlton (4,136).

Clemens' last appearance for the Yankees was a memorable one, in Game 4 of the World Series against the Florida Marlins. Flashbulbs popped repeatedly as fans photographed what they thought would be his final pitches.

Fifty friends and family members flew to Miami to watch the game; Clemens didn't get a decision as the Yankees lost to Florida 4-3 in 12 innings. Even the Marlins' players applauded after Clemens struck out Luis Castillo in what was thought to be his final major league pitch.

``So many people were using flash photography, it was quite amazing,'' Clemens said then. ``I think everybody started understanding that it was going to be my last inning, my last hitter, my last pitch.''

Clemens thought about pitching for the United States at the 2004 Olympics, but the Americans were eliminated in qualifying in November.

Clemens' outlook on retirement started to change Dec. 11, when left-hander Pettitte -- who also lives in the Houston area -- agreed to a $31.5 million, three-year contract with the Astros.

Houston, which has never been to a World Series, will head to spring training with a projected starting rotation that includes Clemens, Pettitte, Roy Oswalt and Wade Miller.

Updated on Monday, Jan 12, 2004 12:22 pm EST

Gmoney
01-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Retire......or $5,000,000 to pitch near your home......tough one huh!!!

Someone in the Astro's front office owes Andy Petitte a good hummer(and not the truck)!!!

High Life Man
01-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Good for Clemens, great for the Astros.

Catfish
01-12-2004, 05:40 PM
This shit pisses me off.

Yeah, why not for Roger, but what the fuck--going around reaping the rewards and celebrations of a "retirement." All that media attention last year. Shit, Torre probably left him in the WS game an inning too long because it was "his last game."

Prick.

Catfish
01-12-2004, 05:41 PM
The 'Stros have a fucken crazy staff now: Pettitte, Oswalt, Clemens and Miller...

redblkwht
01-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Catfish
This shit pisses me off.

Yeah, why not for Roger, but what the fuck--going around reaping the rewards and celebrations of a "retirement." All that media attention last year. Shit, Torre probably left him in the WS game an inning too long because it was "his last game."

Prick. I agree here, what a bunch of bs
& milk the media last year..
I hope he ends up on I.R. & cannot wait to see the
N.L. pitchers throw at this asshole!!
aka payback for piazza..hahahahahaha!!!

High Life Man
01-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Naw, fuck that RBW.

Clemens is a great competitor and baseball needs more of that.

You're just pissed that the Cubs got one-upped today. Pettite and Clemens put the Astros in the NL Central driver seat (the Brewers are riding shotgun :D ).

Lou
01-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Yeah I HATE when guys hint at retirement and then come back. I really believe that once you retire, STAY fucking retired.

redblkwht
01-13-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by High Life Man
Naw, fuck that RBW.

Clemens is a great competitor and baseball needs more of that.

You're just pissed that the Cubs got one-upped today. Pettite and Clemens put the Astros in the NL Central driver seat (the Brewers are riding shotgun :D ).
Put your money where your mouth is..we got way more offense now with our F.A. signings than the Asstro's
gimme a break, biggio & bagwell? 2 players cant carry you.
sosa, alou, lee, ramirez, grudz, patterson, walker, hollandsworth? come on-
we will be back this year, quote me on that..
i say now, both teams will be for sure division winner &
take the wild card also..
cards are in the bitch seat now LMFAO!
counsel? good luck brewers youll miss sexon by march.

High Life Man
01-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by redblkwht
counsel? good luck brewers youll miss sexon by march.

Heh. March? Try December.

Not to worry, our farms are stocked. Just a couple more years now...