PDA

View Full Version : I though I was done with Queensryche....Now I am sure of it....

Hardrock69
07-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Geoff Tate says "Rock is Dead". That was the same lame bullshit people were saying 20 years ago.....and 20 years before that. If rock is dead, what is this music that hundreds of millions of people are listening to? :umm:

If he hates rock music so much, he should fucking retire, but I guess he wants to ride his "Dead Horsie" into the ground.....
:deadhorse:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=160793

Classic Rock: Songs like "Wot We Do" sound like hip-hop. Can rock fans handle that?

Geoff: Well, I think they should. Rock is pretty much dead. If you look at the numbers, it's definitely not the music of the times anymore. If it's gonna keep moving, bands need to embrace new ideas. There's a lot of elements to rock that, mentally speaking, are kinda boneheaded. Like the whole "chunk-chunk-chunk" guitar progression — the stuff you play when you're learning the damn thing. You would hope bands would get beyond that.

Classic Rock: Wikipedia describes QUEENSRŸCHE as "progressive metal." So you agree?

Geoff: Absolutely not. I never want to be in anybody's genre. I don't want anybody to ever tell me what I belong to, where I should go, what I'm part of. That's not anybody's business but my own. Brackets are so over. Honestly, these days, with record companies pretty much gone, all the rules are changing. There's not gonna be any need for genres or categorization, it's all gonna be alphabetical order. The beauty of the Internet is that we can all invent ourselves any way we wish.

He just insulted a lot of people who like "chunka chunka chunk" music.

Guess he made his millions and does not care....who the fuck are the fans anyway? Has he been talking to spEd lately? :umm:

VAiN
07-19-2011, 06:28 PM
I dunno, I agree... I believe he's referring to the Korns, Limp Bizkits, etc.. of the world... and yes, that stuff is crap. So to that extent, I agree, rock is dead. Can you name me a 'guitar hero' from the last 10-15 years? That era has gone bye-bye... It's not popular with the majority of young people.

Seshmeister
07-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Queensryche peaked around 20 years ago and have been in a slow miserable decline ever since.

chefcraig
07-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Queensryche peaked around 20 years ago and have been in a slow miserable decline ever since.

You can pretty much say that about any group that existed 20 years ago.

PETE'S BROTHER
07-19-2011, 06:41 PM
saw them last halloween, and i thought they sounded wonderful. a good nostalgia show.

binnie
07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Rock ain't dead. That's complete and utter crap - there's great stuff out there, not on the radio, but then it never was.

Has anyone heard the new Queensryche record? It is beyond woeful. Seriously, it sounds like a parody of a bunch of dads who are trying to impress their teenage daughters friends.

Coyote
07-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Can you name me a 'guitar hero' from the last 10-15 years?

Alexi Laiho?

binnie
07-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Would Dimebag Darrell count? He'd be active in that period.

Chris Brodderick, Jeff Loomis, Fredrik Thordendal (Meshuggah).

There's a new band - Sylosis - who have an epic guitar player. Yes, it's not got clean vocals, but it's a hell of a record.

Sam42
07-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Rock is really dead to the majority of kids today. My nephew, who's 15, a fine kid, who plays football, very popular, wanted me to teach him some guitar licks and stuff. He absolutely loves hard rock and can't get enough of old school VH and other bands. I can ask him any day of the week if any of his friends or other kids his age listen to rock. He just laughs and tells me everyone thinks his taste in music is weird. All they listen to is rap and other crap.

Anonymous
07-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Alexi Laiho?

Who?

There's a new band - Sylosis - who have an epic guitar player. Yes, it's not got clean vocals, but it's a hell of a record.

Of course Dimebag counts. He's the only one in your list that does.

Guitar HEROES, those that everyone knows & loves, not extremely good garage/basement guitar players that no one gives a fuck about because they're either boring, too technical, both or just plain unoriginal.

And of course, when you have to tell us which band the guy plays on, well... you should realise by yourself that basically rules him out.

Cheers! :bottle:

Unchainme
07-20-2011, 03:38 PM
He's not exactly wrong in my eyes.

And of course, you'll get a binnie or a few of my friends who love a lot of the new rock n'roll out there. And more power to them, it just ain't my cup of tea. Plus I don't feel like digging through it to try find a new band, I kinda like just being able to find stuff a bit easier than that.

Problem is. simply this. A lot of the good rock bands that may or may not be out there are not getting air time from the rock stations, MTV, etc. The local DJ for example, ain't going to be taking in this new hot record a buddy of his recommended or MTV isn't going accidentally play this generations GN'R or Nirvana record. In radio, it's controlled by the labels and clear channel what's getting played. The DJ's just play whats on the setlist and sit back bored. MTV? It's either showing some show about guidos getting drunk, teens getting knocked up or fuck..they even play movies on there. And if you do catch music on the channel it's usually at like 3 am and usually complete shit teeny bopper-pop or "hip-hop" with lame fuck rhyme skills and beats.

For the time being Rock Is Dead.

sadaist
07-20-2011, 03:52 PM

Dimebag would count as a guitar hero. But the others, even as good as they are, are not 'heroes'. They aren't the household names.

Maybe we should just see if we can make a lit of any rock musician that is a household name from the last 15 years.

Dave Grohl?
Dimebag for sure.
Kid Rock perhaps?
Jack White?

ummmmm.............................

Rock isn't dead...but it's definitely on life support. I know what we need in dire times like this.

Etienne
07-20-2011, 04:04 PM
...Can you name me a 'guitar hero' from the last 10-15 years? ...

If Dimebag counts, what is with John Petrucci of Dream Theater?

Well not household name...

VAiN
07-20-2011, 04:26 PM
If Dimebag counts, what is with John Petrucci of Dream Theater?

Well not household name...

Yes. That and Dream Theater are... ummm... an acquired taste? You can't really hum the tunes. To me they sound like math. I don't like math.

sadaist
07-20-2011, 06:10 PM
To me they sound like math. I don't like math.

:biggrin:

Mr. Vengeance
07-20-2011, 06:43 PM
He's such a douche. Saw them open for Priest 6-7 years ago in Toronto. The band comes out, starts to play and then finally he comes strolling out slowly. Stands there and sings. Then the guitar solo comes and he strolls offstage. Then back out to sing the rest of the song. Then offstage at the end of the song. Did this pretty much every song, with the exception of the time he stayed on to announce they were releasing Operation Mindcrime II. He was wearing a leather coat, his hair short and slicked back and dark glasses on. I kept expecting him to walk onstage, raise and eyebrow and yell into the mic, "If you smelllllllllllllllllll, what the reich is cookin'!"

Coyote
07-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Who?

Point taken... Children Of Bodom IS somewhat unknown outside Funland...

twonabomber
07-20-2011, 11:27 PM
That and Dream Theater are... ummm...

pompous and overblown...just like Queensryche.

Anonymous
07-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Point taken... Children Of Bodom IS somewhat unknown outside Funland...

No, don't get me wrong. Children of Bodom IS a well known band & they really are grate musicians. But not to the extent that anyone other than hardcore fans would know their names.

Which, of course, rules Alexi out as a guitar hero.

Terry
07-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I think I'd agree that the current state of rock, at least the rock that is getting airplay and media attention, is pretty much dead on arrival.

Problem of it is that as rock slowly got bigger, it became corporatized, and when all that money is involved the default mode is to not take chances and churn out safe fodder that will make teenage girls' ginies tingle. It got Disneyfied, and plenty of bands willingly went along with it to make a few bucks.

When you look at the legendary rock bands of the 1960s, 1970s and early 1980s and stack that against the commerically successful rock bands of the mid to late 1980s and beyond, in terms of content there's not much in the way of comparison. While this is a generalized comment and I wouldn't go so far to say ALL rock bands post-1985 sucked, over the last 25 years or so the music genre (on the whole) has become stale, uninspired, unimaginative and just a bunch of meaningless background noise. For every excellent band like Pantera that cropped up post-1980s, there were dozens of others that just sucked balls.

I know there's gotta be some good rock bands out there right now nobody's heard of that are able to write and perform kick azz tunes, but I'm not hearing them. Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough. Seems like the market is too saturated with aging, wheezing 'name' bands chugging along for no particular purpose other than to keep their wallets fat and a bunch of young, white, middle-class poser pretenders trafficking in studied angst. How the fuck is anyone gonna be inspired by the state of rock considering the circumstances surrounding it these days?

binnie
07-22-2011, 04:45 AM
Terry makes a great distinction: bands who get significant airplay (largely turgid); and rock music in general (thriving if you know where to look).

One thing that is different about rock today - even the great bands - is that there are few bands who really celebrate life, and those that do are poor '70s or '80s clones. There's plenty of cool music, but it is becoming heavier and heavier, and often more about the darker side of humanity. That's great, but where are they rock 'n' rollers?

I remember an interview with Dave Wyndorf (Monster Magnet) about 10 years ago. He said (to paraphrase): 'Radiohead an awesome, amazing band, but they don't ROCK, y'know?'

Hardrock69
07-22-2011, 03:52 PM
While you all have valid points, I feel that those who think rock is dead are simply looking at it from the trendy, currently fashionable point of view.

FUCK THAT SHIT!

If rock were 'dead' Van Halen would not be going out to tour, AC/DC would not be selling out tours, and the guitar and amp manufacturers would not be doing kickass business.

Rock has NEVER been about fashions or trends or any of that other fucking bullshit. It has been here for well over 50 years now and is not going anywhere.

Saying "Rock is dead" is like saying "Blues is dead". Or "Jazz is dead".

Sorry...but just saying it is does not make it so.

Diamondjimi
07-22-2011, 04:02 PM
In a nutshell....mainstream "music" is generic uninspiring horseshit that does nothing to further the "ART" of music..... :rant:

Hardrock69
07-22-2011, 09:13 PM
True dat! And it IS a nutshell version of what I said above.

I create my music because it is what satisfies me. Rockers listen to rock because that is what satisfies them.

Trendy idiots don't know what they like to listen to, because they don't know what satisfies them.

I had a drummer once who could not figure out what he wanted to play. All he could say is "I want to play something different".

Ok....different than what? Different than music? He had no idea what he was searching for.

But that was what drove him on his quest to find "something different".

Some people cannot latch onto one style of music. They have to go with whatever is cool at the moment.

I personally know what I like. I have no need to search for anything else. If I want something "new", I will just write a new song. It is going to be in the style I like. It will BE what I WANT IT to be. There is no searching. I create what I create.

I like Rock Music. It is my preferred artistic outlet, and my preferred art. PERIOD.

It is NEVER going to be dead to me. And there are millions of people out there who feel the same way.

Geoff Tate is someone who is always on a quest for something different. Good for him.

But that means the Queensryche I was once a fan of no longer exists.

That's ok.

There are a lot of other bands out there.

And there are a lot of songs I have yet to write that do not require the participation of Geoff Tate and Co. in order to satisfy my artistic muse.

Terry
07-22-2011, 10:10 PM
The fortunate aspect of the great rock records/bands/artists I like is that the music they created is still as vital today as it was when it was released, at least as far as the original recordings go.

The problem for me is that as the years passed on, there were fewer emerging or new groups that were creating music with any resonance...in many cases the stuff has become so staid and derivative that the retention prowess barely lasts beyond hearing the tunes the first time.

Eventually, I kinda got turned off by what the music biz has evolved into. I will say that the technical level of talent in young local rock bands I on occasion see these days is probably higher than it was twenty years ago. The ability to write lasting tunes, however, seemingly hasn't kept up with the ability to play well. Thus there are plenty of groups out there with the ability to express virtually anything, yet have so little to actually express.

I mean, a well-played mediocre song is still a mediocre song.

The great part about being turned off by the present scene is it has prodded me to go back and search out acts from yesteryear or tunes/albums from artists I was familiar with that I didn't pay much attention to the first time around.

On the specific thread topic, I saw Queensryche opening for Alice Cooper and Heaven&Hell four years ago, and Queensryche were just plain embarrassing. Poor sound, lackluster performance. Geoff Tate is well right to feel rock is dead, because it fuckin' sounded like it when Ryche were onstage that night. Pitiful.

jhale667
07-22-2011, 11:43 PM
I Can you name me a 'guitar hero' from the last 10-15 years?

Alexi Laiho?

He and Gus G are the only two names I can think of, and I'm not really impressed by either...to me they're the epitome of how Nuno was described in the thread in Gear St... "cold and sterile". At least Gus G has some technique; Alexi Laiho would be considered mediocre by 80's shred standards.

Chris Broderick IS a monster, but he's still kind of a noob in that sense...not super-well-known outside of guitar circles. Loomis is good too, but like Gus and Alexi, leaves me flat....at least I've seen Broderick play some licks where I was like "Holy Shit!" rather than just an "OK, he's good...." :umm:

Little Texan
07-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Queensryche haven't been relevant since Empire.

jhale667
07-23-2011, 12:45 AM

To me Mindcrime and Empire are just epic, though I liked Rage For Order and Warning too...hell, pretty sure I still have the EP on vinyl FFS. I like a few things I've heard lately, but definitely remember not being knocked out by "Promised Land" IIRC was the follow-up to that Empire, and the last one with Chris Degarmo....in a way they haven't been the same since Degarmo left...though didn't he step back in to co-write some of Mindcrime II with them?

LoungeMachine
07-23-2011, 04:43 AM

Ironic post considering whose site we're on........

:gulp:

Seshmeister
07-23-2011, 05:42 AM
They were amazing in 1990/91.

Watch this, recorded with a shitty video camera.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/_ClVVtEMBY8?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/_ClVVtEMBY8?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Then move forward to 2004 and someone has nailed their feet to the stage.

It you look bored it's hard for the audience to get excited.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/u083zgi_ciM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/u083zgi_ciM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Anonymous
07-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Luca Turilli could be a guitar god.

Unfortunately, he writes the lyrics.

Now, THERE'S a man who dishes out kickass tunes just to ruin them with first grade high fantasy writing.

And by first grade, I'm talkin' about school, not quality.

HUGE fan here, but that's because I haven't cared about lyrics since my retarded teenage years, where I was looking for "meaning".

Unfortunately, most people never do leave their teenage years & their inherent retardedness...

Hardrock69
07-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Yes one reason why Rock is Dead is that there is almost nobody on the scene these days whose music is going to be played years and years from now, and regarded as "classic".

The only two new artists who have blown my mind in the past 20 years are Rammstein and NIN.

It is now wonder that instead of seeking out new music by lame artists, I spend my time seeking out bootlegs of the Great Ones. I would much rather have a proshot bootleg DVD of say, Heaven & Hell than a commercially released DVD of Limp Bisquick for example.

I suppose Geoff may have meant that "Rock Is Dead" when referring to the current generation of kids. I was seeing it as he was saying it is dead PERIOD, which is hardly the case.
Yes, last time I saw QR I left after an hour. Rock is surely dead in THAT band. I have no need of ever seeing them again.
But what is next? We had Rock for 30 years, then music targeting African Americans evolved in that same time period from R & B to Soul finally to Rap.

So we now have Rock and Rap music.

Wonder what the next big, all-encompassing style is going to be.