PDA

View Full Version : Saw the scab Judas Priest the other night.

Mr Badguy
07-21-2011, 07:57 AM
The jobber they've got in for KK, that was a laugh.

He has the blonde hair, the black leather suit & stands where KK stands.

He started off playing a Gretsch Falcon.

Third tune in, he dons a flying V.

WTF!?

It was like Ki$$ all over again.

Musically good, not quite right, though.

Stage act was pretty crap, missing all the Glenn/KK interaction.

The SECC holds 10,000.

I would guess ther were 3,000 in the place.

Pretty sad.

binnie
07-21-2011, 08:16 AM
On the youtube's I've seen they've sounded pretty good with the new guy. I agree it's not quite right though, especially with him essentially dressed as KK. Self-parody, anyone?

I saw the last two Priest tours. The first - for 'Angel of Retribution' - was woeful. Not so much for the way they played: in fact, I'd say they played great, even if slightly upstaged by The Scorpions. But more for the sheer earnestness of it all. Halford's stage act was awful: slightly smug, and believing all of his own hype. Almost like a pantomime being played straight. It is the only time I have ever seen people leave a gig half-way through, laughing.

I couldn't listen to Priest for a year after that.

Then I saw 'em on the 'Nostradamus' tour with Testament and Megadeth. Fucking hell, they were insanely good! Maybe having two fires up the arse helped. I wouldn't say that Testament are good live, but I could hear them clearly in the car park of Sheffield Arena as we arrived. Deafening! Megadeth were on fire too, and having a genuine metal legend open for you can't be easy, even if you're Priest. But they were truly epic that night - 2 clunkers from Nostradamus aside, it was pure joy to hear some of the best metal songs ever written played at full pelt. In fact, I'd say it'd be up there with the best gigs I've seen.

Like you though, there were probalby only 3,000 or so people in an arena which holds 12,000. Which is a shame.

Mr Badguy
07-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Halford was awesome at the gig, I have to say.

Bang on the money.

ToraToraTora
07-21-2011, 02:48 PM
The jobber they've got in for KK, that was a laugh.

He has the blonde hair, the black leather suit & stands where KK stands.

He started off playing a Gretsch Falcon.

Third tune in, he dons a flying V.

WTF!?

It was like Ki$$ all over again.

Musically good, not quite right, though.

Stage act was pretty crap, missing all the Glenn/KK interaction.

The SECC holds 10,000.

Pretty sad.
I thought they were struggling to sell tickets when i got an email from ticketmaster offering me 2 tickets for 40 quid, considering they were nearly 40 quid EACH to start with. Still didn't fancy it though!

sadaist
07-21-2011, 04:05 PM
3,000 people in a 10,000 seat house? You sure you didn't go see Chickenfoot by mistake?

Diamondjimi
07-21-2011, 04:17 PM
3,000 people in a 10,000 seat house? You sure you didn't go see Chickenfoot by mistake?

:lol:

Seshmeister
07-21-2011, 04:47 PM
The SECC holds 10,000.

Pretty sad.

I saw them there a few years back and it was pretty full but that was a triple bill with Gary Moore and Scorpions.

I wonder what made them think they could fill it themselves, the farewell tour novelty?

We've all seen that trick played too many times over years...

binnie
07-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Did Priest even play arenas in the UK during their heyday?

Hardrock69
07-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Of course, silly!

But damn...3,000 at SECC? That is sad.

However, from all reports I have heard....everyone who has seen Priest on the European tour say Halford is sounding better than he has in YEARS.

I find it laughable they have a KK clone. Yes, Kiss all over again. But then, they had a Halford clone for a few years. And, the new guy IS a good guitarist, much like Tim Owens is an incredible singer.

Diamondjimi
07-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Priest has officially jumped the shark....

VHscraps
07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
O my fucking God. When oh when is this phoney baloney 'real people' TV shit gonna die the thousand deaths that it deserves?

I read the recent Rolling Stone cover story on Steven Tyler, as it happens, and all the stuff about how he ended up on American Idol to get back at Joe and the guys. Doesn't that twat know he's destroying everyone's idea of what Aerosmith was?! There's a good quote in the piece from Joe Perry - American Idol, he says, 'is like a notch below Tennage Mutant Ninja Turtles'. Yeah. Just sack Tyler from the band and call it a day

Well, I hope Rob and the guys got well paid.

BITEYOASS
07-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Now we know why K.K. Downing left.

lesfunk
07-21-2011, 10:35 PM
The Idol guy looks much gayer than the actual Gay guy.

Little Texan
07-21-2011, 10:46 PM
That dude did look like a fruit, so much so that he made Halford look straight by comparison. The country crooner that won looked like Alfred E. Neuman from Mad Magazine.

binnie
07-22-2011, 04:39 AM
It was kinda cool to see a guy who likes rock music on Idol. And he can wail.

It's just a shame he looks like Shrek's bulemic brother.