PDA

View Full Version : Jimmie Vaughan anyone?

VHscraps
07-21-2011, 06:49 PM
I always liked Stevie Ray's big bro, Jimmie, just a little bit - The Fabulous Thunderbirds are always good to go with beer - but here he's on lead voc and guitar in this clip, from around the time of his first solo album, Strange Pleasure (1994). There's two guitar solos - one by Denny Freeman (first solo) and one by the man himself, a typical stinging Jimmie Vaughan solo at around 4:30 that lasts a good minute and a half:

Diamondjimi
07-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Jimmie has always had his own minimalist approach to blues. Fabulous Thunderbirds were a good band.

But I think Jimmie's kinda losin his touch these days.....

VHscraps
07-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Sounds like his amp ain't set up right! Bit of sustain on it and it would probably have the old bite. I guess the message is - soundcheck before the show, man.

But the Reverend Billy G! What a guy. 'They got gurls!' That clip is pure gold for the intro alone.

Seshmeister
07-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Although you do have push the fact that Billy G is worth $55 million to the back of your mind...

VHscraps
07-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Gotta remember that Billy was the guy who said he got lost in the Himalayas and saw Yeti - and that was just his excuse for the Top not making an album for two years (seems a sneeze compared to Howdy Doody time). I think that's what 'Ten Foot Pole' on El Loco was about.

Those Texans, man - the exaggeration is in the hats and bears already.

Nitro Express
07-22-2011, 02:11 AM
GE Smith is jamming with them. I bought me one of his signature Telecasters and the bridge pickup is screwed directly into the wood with a traditional old style three saddle bridge. The thing is just pure magic and rauch. Great teles and very versitile actually.