PDA

View Full Version : MIKE PORTNOY, JOHN SYKES Join Forces In New Project - July 25, 2011

Mr Walker
07-26-2011, 07:55 AM
MIKE PORTNOY, JOHN SYKES Join Forces In New Project - July 25, 2011
Drummer Mike Portnoy (DREAM THEATER, AVENGED SEVENFOLD, ADRENALINE MOB) has joined forces with guitarist/vocalist John Sykes (WHITESNAKE, BLUE MURDER, THIN LIZZY) and an as-yet-undisclosed bassist in a brand new power trio. The project is currently recording material at a Los Angeles studio, with Portnoy describing one song as "copping the [LED] ZEPPELIN/[BLACK] SABBATH vibe" and another as "[PINK] FLOYD meets [DEEP] PURPLE!!! Some serious old-school classic rock."

Portnoy and Sykes appeared earlier today (Monday, July 25) at a taping of season eight of VH1 Classic's "That Metal Show" (see photos below). The program's co-host Eddie Trunk tweeted about their new collaboration, "I heard demos. Sounds like killer BLUE MURDER meets '1987' WHITESNAKE. Amazing!" He also said that the new group will perform some BLUE MURDER material when it hits the road.

As previously reported, Portnoy is also playing in a new band called ADRENALINE MOB alongside SYMPHONY X frontman Russell Allen, guitar virtuoso Mike Orlando (SONIC STOMP), bassist Paul DiLeo and STUCK MOJO/FOZZY axeman Rich Ward. The group made its live debut on June 24 at the Hiro Ballroom in New York City and is presently seeking a suitable record label to release its already completed debut album.

Sykes announced his departure from THIN LIZZY in July 2009, explaining that "I feel it's time to get back to playing my own music."

Mr Walker
07-26-2011, 07:57 AM
I read somewhere that Jason Newsted might be the bassist.

I'm glad to see Sykes working and hopefully doing original stuff as opposed to fronting a cover band... but I'm not real keen on that Portnoy dude. Sykes should have hooked up with Richard Christy on drums.

Mr Walker
07-26-2011, 07:59 AM
For some reason I thought Sykes was fat and bloated... at least he looks like he's in good shape.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/sykesportnoy2.jpg

Diamondjimi
07-26-2011, 08:21 AM
This is gonna be very cool! \,,/

Mr Walker
07-26-2011, 08:53 AM
In a posting on his official web site, Portnoy describes the new group as "a completely ridiculous modern-day power trio" and calls it "a new 'real BAND' for me" just as ADRENALINE MOB is "also a new "real BAND" for me." He adds, "I will divide my time as best as I can between the two (hey, if Corey Taylor and Jim Root, Mike Patton, Joe Satriani and Chad Smith, Zakk Wylde all can do it, so can I!) and I am equally excited by both... as they are both amazing new bands, but VERY different worlds musically... so there's really no clash creatively. Timing-wise, ADRENALINE MOB is happening NOW, and my band with Sykes won't be released later next year, so they'll be able to co-exist just fine!"

WACF
07-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Great to hear Sykes getting back to a band situation...Portnoy is a huge music fan...this should be good.

indeedido
07-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm looking forward to this and something new and good from Sykes. Didn't follow Thin Lizzy and haven't really heard much of him since Blue Murder.

WACF
07-28-2011, 02:37 PM
i used to love Blue Murder...find it dated badly now.

Still...looking forward to hearing what they come up with.