PDA

View Full Version : ACE FREHLEY: 'No Regrets' Memoir Due In November;

Diamondjimi
07-26-2011, 06:09 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/frehleyregrets.jpg

According to Amazon.com, original KISS guitarist Ace Frehley will release "No Regrets: A Rock 'N' Roll Memoir", a look back at his "life of sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll" on November 1, 2011 via Gallery Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. Gallery plans to publish the 288-page title under the VH1 Books imprint.

"No Regrets" was co-written by New York Times journalist Joe Layden who also authored "The Last Great Fight" about what is considered by many to be the biggest upset in the history of boxing: James "Buster" Douglas' tenth-round knockout win over Mike Tyson in 1990.

Layden recently worked on MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine's autobiography, "Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir".

Jennifer Bergstrom, Vice President, Editor-in-Chief of Gallery Books, said "'No Regrets' is sure to be the next must-read rock-and-roll memoir."

Commented Frehley: "I think Sinatra said it best… 'Regrets I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.'"

One of the most popular rock guitarists of the 1970s, Frehley became an inspiration to a generation of guitarists with his lead-guitar prowess and atmospheric Les Paul sound.

Frehley performed with KISS from its inception in 1973 until his first departure in 1982 before rejoining KISS in 1996 for a very successful reunion tour. Frehley's second stint lasted until 2002 as Ace went back to being a solo artist again, but the stories and memories still remain from touring in one of rock and roll's most successful acts of all time.

On the red carpet just before his performance with Slash at the at the sixth annual MusiCares MAP Fund benefit concert on May 7, 2010 at Club Nokia in Los Angeles, Ace Frehley talked about putting his memoir together and how he got help remembering some of his old stories that he might have forgotten.

"It's gonna be memoirs, you know," he told the Artisan News Service.

"I just turned 59, [so] I think it's about time I start getting the stuff out and writing it down on paper before I forget it.

"It's hard for me to remember a lot of the stuff, so what I've been doing is getting together with people I used to work with, and they usually have better memories of situations than myself. Getting together with old bodyguards... They have the best stories about me... stuff I don't remember."

LINK (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=161177)

binnie
07-26-2011, 06:11 PM
A memoir I might actually want to read.

Slash's bio was pretty candid, as was Dave Mustaine's. There's a lot of shit out there though.

Diamondjimi
07-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Now THIS, should be a great read. I hope he holds nothing back and throws caution and Paul & Gene's feelings to the wind....

Matt White
07-26-2011, 06:14 PM
It's ACE FREHLEY..............

I'll buy it "no questions asked"...............

Just watched the 1st Kissology....primarily COBO HALL 1976................ACE OWNED KISS back then....he was so "on" its scary.............

indeedido
07-26-2011, 06:18 PM
It should be a good read. I heard some of the stories were causing the hold up on its release. Me thinks Gene & Paul have some skeletons they don't want out there. Doh!

Va Beach VH Fan
07-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Now THIS, should be a great read. I hope he holds nothing back and throws caution and Paul & Gene's feelings to the wind....

Couldn't have said it better....

Peter's book should be just as good, it's a damn crime how Gene & Paul screwed those two over...

chefcraig
07-26-2011, 06:39 PM
If you can find it, the best book I've read yet about KISS is called KISS And Sell: The Making of a Supergroup (http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Sell-Making-Supergroup-Watson-Guptill/dp/0823075516/ref=cm_lmf_tit_8), and comes from a guy named C.K. Lendt. He worked in the band's management from 1976 to 1988, and he unloads with both barrels about what a messed up group of lunatics the members of the band really were. Simmons likes to paint both Criss and Frehley with an uncomplimentary brush, but the fact is, he was just as unhinged as they were, without the excuse of alcohol and/or drugs.

Diamondjimi
07-26-2011, 06:47 PM
It should be a good read. I heard some of the stories were causing the hold up on its release. Me thinks Gene & Paul have some skeletons they don't want out there. Doh!

Somehow the word pre-op tranny probably figures into this.... :biggrin:

If you can find it, the best book I've read yet about KISS is called KISS And Sell: The Making of a Supergroup (http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Sell-Making-Supergroup-Watson-Guptill/dp/0823075516/ref=cm_lmf_tit_8), and comes from a guy named C.K. Lendt. He worked in the band's management from 1976 to 1988, and he unloads with both barrels about what a messed up group of lunatics the members of the band really were. Simmons likes to paint both Criss and Frehley with an uncomplimentary brush, but the fact is, he was just as unhinged as they were, without the excuse of alcohol and/or drugs.

Got it. Def. a great read. Lots of dirt in that one

Diamondjimi
07-26-2011, 06:49 PM
It's ACE FREHLEY..............

I'll buy it "no questions asked"...............

Just watched the 1st Kissology....primarily COBO HALL 1976................ACE OWNED KISS back then....he was so "on" its scary.............

Grate dvd Matt. They were raw and on fire back then....

Terry
07-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Gotta love Ace.

["I basically gotta write this memoir before I forget this stuff, although most of it I don't remember to begin with"]

It'd be fun to see him lay into Gene, Paul and the two scabs.

Fuck, if I did a fraction of the drinking Frehley had (never mind whatever else he was into), I wouldn't remember how to sign my own name, much less anything else.

"I'll give you the P & L statement!"

sadaist
07-26-2011, 09:35 PM
A memoir I might actually want to read.

Slash's bio was pretty candid, as was Dave Mustaine's. There's a lot of shit out there though.

So do you recommend Mustaines book? I'm a huge Megadeth fan ever since Peace Sells & I saw them open for Alice Cooper. I would want to read this book. What's it called?

Hardrock69
07-27-2011, 03:43 AM
Billy Gibbons made me want to play electric guitar, but Ace's stuff was simple enough I was actually able to LEARN how to play. I learned 98% of Kiss: ALIVE! note for note. The other 2% I could not figure out how to play.

Though it was the ZZ Top show in November of 1976 that provided me with the asskicking.....my very next concert was Kiss in January of 1977 only 2 months later that really blew my mind...as that showed me what a "ROCK CONCERT" could be.

And, even though Billy Gibbons played his 1958 Korina Gibson Flying V for a song or two, Paul Stanley played a black Flying V for most of the set, and as soon as I saw that black V with the mirror plate pickguard...I knew what my first real guitar was going to be.

My dream came true by May of 1978....had a used black 1975 Gibson Flying V with a white pickguard and Dimarzio SDH pickups in it.

And the rest is history.....

But I digress.

As Ace was my first main guitar teacher (by vinyl proxy) I REALLY want to read this. I will buy it immediately if not sooner.

Matt White
07-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Yup.....ACE is not my biggest influence, but he lit the fuse....

mid 70's...just a wee lad...a babysitter would pop on her KISS records as soon as my parents car hit the streets....

KISS ALIVE, DESTROYER & ROCK AND ROLLL OVER are the classic stuff for me....

Did see KISS (the ORIGINAL LINE UP, anything else is bogus) at TIGER STADIUM in 1996...with ALICE IN CHAINS opening to boot....

Seats were in center field, center stage....with a sellout INSANE crowd....noticed Bob Seger in the crowd as well as the singer from the Romantics.....

BRILLIANT doesn't do it justice....like seeing the BEATLES at Shea Stadium....

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uDE2SfPYFDo?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uDE2SfPYFDo?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

hotsummerknight
07-27-2011, 11:19 AM
... I learned 98% of Kiss: ALIVE! note for note. The other 2% I could not figure out how to play.

same with me. learning ALIVE! note-for-note opened up all sorts of doors for me. once i mastered that stuff, it was real easy for me to migrate into playing VH, rhoads, satch, etc. it was a great way to learn how to be patient and learn simple and effective licks that are pretty much a base in many good rock songs.

great album, too .. im always finding myself in "kiss sucks" conversations with people and i always tell em yea they do suck but ALIVE 1 is a classic must-have in any rock fan's collection. its just a raw in-your-face fuckin live album. sounds nothing like their studio garbage.

hotsummerknight
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
On a side note, I may be Jewish but I have friends of all races, religions, and ethnicities and no one should say hurtful things about any group. Gene Simmons would never do that.

GennyVH
07-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Can't wait for it!!! :) At last!!!

Ace is one of my 3 guitars heroes with Eddie and Dimebag... ;)

PETE'S BROTHER
07-27-2011, 12:29 PM
and no one should say hurtful things about any group.

"chickenfeets" sucks :tongue0011:

DLR Bridge
07-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I hope somebody helped Ace "remember" whether he faithfully played the Christine 16 solo Ed VH had layed out for him or not. Gene said it went down like that, but I have a tough time buying it. Definitely asking Santa for that book.

hotsummerknight
07-27-2011, 02:19 PM
"chickenfeets" sucks :tongue0011:

i agree with you on this one. how can two rock legends - hagar and satriani - come together on something and end up creating complete shit? it boggles the mind.

Sensible Shoes
07-27-2011, 04:15 PM
On a side note, I may be Jewish but I have friends of all races, religions, and ethnicities and no one should say hurtful things about any group. Gene Simmons would never do that.

You really need to get over this.

hotsummerknight
07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
You really need to get over this.

does it bother you?

Sensible Shoes
07-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Just that it bothers YOU. Hate to see somebody hurting over something that really doesn't exist, here at least.

Matt White
07-27-2011, 04:30 PM
I have more of a problem with somebody refering to Spammy Haggis as a "Legend"..............

thats a bit much..............

He couldn't carry ACE's guitar case...let alone wear his boots.............

I'm getting this the day its published

FORD
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Hagar is a "legend"..... in his own mind. And maybe Sobolewski's.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-27-2011, 04:49 PM
does it bother you?

It's not the place for it....

hotsummerknight
07-27-2011, 04:51 PM
It's not the place for it....

there's a time and place for everything. for everyone.

FORD
07-27-2011, 04:55 PM
there's a time and place for everything. for everyone.

Except Van Hagar.

Mr. Vengeance
07-27-2011, 07:52 PM
I can't wait for this book! Problem is that Ace kind of gave Gene the out he'll need to trash the book. If Ace dishes any dirt on things and gives his take on things Gene accused him of, Gene will say that Ace can't remember the stuff and has to ask others, so how much can you believe it?

I really want to hear Ace's version of life on the road.

If you dont have KISSology 1, youtube KISS on the Midnight Special to see a band, and especially Ace, at the top of their game.

Nitro Express
07-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Ace according to Gene.

Hardrock69
07-27-2011, 11:58 PM
great album, too .. im always finding myself in "kiss sucks" conversations with people and i always tell em yea they do suck but ALIVE 1 is a classic must-have in any rock fan's collection. its just a raw in-your-face fuckin live album. sounds nothing like their studio garbage.

I agree it is a classic album in the rock pantheon, but how ironic your statement is knowing that the only thing live on the entire album is Peter Criss's drums and vocals. Even the audience noise was just pre-recorded and available at the push of a fader, lol. I have a rather lengthy interview with Eddie Kramer who let the cat out of the bag on that one....so in effect, Kiss: Alive! IS studio garbage. It is just better produced than their other 70s albums, lol.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Wow...

Not going to piss Gene off more than pretending to be a Nazi....

indeedido
07-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Ace according to Gene.

Ha, I bet he did those things just to piss Gene off as he hated him so badly.

Terry
07-28-2011, 01:42 PM

KISS and SELL is a very, very interesting read. Even putting the whole Kiss aspect to one side, the book provided a fairly detailed picture of rock band economics back in the day while managing not to come across as wonky, which isn't an easy feat. And I'd agree the book illustrates that while Frehley and Criss were fucked up at times, Simmons and Stanley were perfectly capable of driving KISS Inc. off the cliff on their own without the aid of any drugs or alcohol.

indeedido
07-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Gotta love Ace.

["I basically gotta write this memoir before I forget this stuff, although most of it I don't remember to begin with"]

Fuck, if I did a fraction of the drinking Frehley had (never mind whatever else he was into), I wouldn't remember how to sign my own name, much less anything else.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/ace-frehley-kiss-23600536-600-800.jpg

slimdon
07-28-2011, 07:09 PM
http://www.rocknrollbreakfast.com/album/thumbs/halloween_1978-thumb.jpg

Ace was my first super hero. One of the most monumental moments in my life was getting to interview him in 2009. Can't wait to read his book. Here's the interview:

http://www.rocknrollbreakfast.com/ace_interview.html

Nitro Express
07-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Ha, I bet he did those things just to piss Gene off as he hated him so badly.

Yeah but Gene blew it all off, let it roll off his back and went fishing.

indeedido
07-28-2011, 10:11 PM
That was great!

Terry
07-29-2011, 06:26 PM
I can't wait for this book! Problem is that Ace kind of gave Gene the out he'll need to trash the book. If Ace dishes any dirt on things and gives his take on things Gene accused him of, Gene will say that Ace can't remember the stuff and has to ask others, so how much can you believe it?

I really want to hear Ace's version of life on the road.

If you dont have KISSology 1, youtube KISS on the Midnight Special to see a band, and especially Ace, at the top of their game.

I agree, but it doesn't bother me in the least that Gene has an out or excuse to slam Ace's book.

I've heard/read plenty of Gene's take on KISS. Frankly, the guy has become so hum-de-dum about the money he makes, his reality show, the amount of women he screwed and all the rest of it that while his comments used to be shockingly arrogant years ago, these days it's more boring than anything else.

Gene and Paul have been going through the motions with KISS and set the controls firmly on autopilot in 2003; it's been an eight year stretch of "whatever"...much like they did around 1983 until 1991, until Revenge saw a brief, semi-inspired return to form. They churn out fodder for a public that clearly wants to buy it, and who can blame them? However, Gene and Paul created a template of banal rock cliches and have fobbed them off in interviews for so long that they sound as boring saying them as I am hearing them.

Fuck 'em. They got nothing new to say about anything else, so it'll be the usual "Ace is a drunken fuckup, we saved his career by letting him rejoin the band in 1996" blah blah blah wah wah wah comments when the book is released.

At least what Frehley and his co-writer will have to say will likely prove to be entertaining.

indeedido
07-29-2011, 07:41 PM
+1 from a (70s) KISS fanatic