PDA

View Full Version : Latest News On Next-Generation CPUs.....10-Core CPUs are in sight....

Hardrock69
07-27-2011, 03:05 PM
http://www.neowin.net/news/rumor-amd-to-launch-10-core-desktop-cpu-in-2012

Rumor: AMD to launch 10 core desktop CPU in 2012?

PC makers may not be selling as many desktops as they used to, thanks in part to higher sales of devices like smartphones and Apple's iPad. However that isn't stopping PC processor makers from developing plans to make new and even more powerful PC CPUs. PC Gamer reports that a leaked processor road map from AMD reveals that the company is working on a desktop CPU with a whopping 10 processor cores inside.

The roadmap, which first appeared on a Chinese news web site, shows that the 10 core CPU has the rather appropriate code name "Piledriver". It's designed to be a variation on AMD's previously announced "Bulldozer" CPU which is scheduled to launch with eight processor cores later this year. The Piledriver CPU will also use a new motherboard design called the FM2. The article adds that the roadmap also includes the Trinity CPU/GPU hybrid which is also supposed to use the same design as the Piledriver CPU along with the FM2 motherboard.

In an era where not too long ago having a quad-core CPU inside a gaming PC was a huge deal the prospect of being about to purchase a desktop gaming PC with a whopping 10 core is certainly a major one. It will be interesting to see what the pricing will be on such a processor and if PC game developers will take advantage of having so many cores to work with. AMD recently announced that it had brought in $1.57 billion in revenues for its latest quarter.

Nitro Express
07-27-2011, 05:55 PM
I bought an iPad two weeks ago and find I'm using it more than I use my laptop. I have a PC but the kids just use it for a gaming machine. I never use it anymore. I've gotten used to the iPad keyboard so I'm writing all my correspondence on it. So we are going more towards portable devices for everyday computer use and Apple has become the leader in portable devices and will probably become more of the standard for business computing as well. They are one of the few companies that is both a hardware and software manufacture.

I think PC's will become very powerful computers that are customizable and they will appeal to the hard core gamers. Computing in general will go towards portable devices.

clarathecarrot
07-27-2011, 10:56 PM
I bought a box ( 0ne month before Vista was the operating system , I bought the best of XP by HP) large enough for expansion and continual updating by changing to a larger Gig hard drive as with any box I can also put in a new motherboard with the addition of the other things that need to be in the box to make it all core, this or that.

I have a 64X2 Dual Core in there now way old as far as geek this and that goes I got the CPU clocking a little faster and stuff..

I realize not many people are free enough to understand or realize how simple it all really is inside, the box,, a desktop is a box and you can put anything you want in it or around it periprials(sp) etc.. any other paltform I believe you are paying for the ability to never be more than what it is.

I also like the portable platforms ( not needed by me right now at times yes but not now) but they seem to me to be disposable when outdated( forced by software changes mainly or wear and tear) not a long term machine like. the box.

So I see the box as a investment and portable devices more like trends.

I geek about 10X Core or whatever it is but it is just mainly a grafics thing, speed.... what is speed, when I am mostly and the rest of the world, a tard.

And with this old box I can kick any of your asses on HALO..lol

clarathecarrot
07-27-2011, 11:22 PM
I am amazed by the new devices, the last portable I had was a Toshiba I think..? with NT OS and a docking platform underneath the whole thing weighed 6 lbs I bet, the new stuff is just amazing .

I remember when microsoft has this site you could go to and it was a interactive display of the new now viable technology of using your fingers to move around on the screen it was a table top device huge and then here we are with that tech in evryones hand amazing stuff.

I do think however I can make more moves and use less energy and and get things done faster with a mouse,,,, the finger thing is working your arm...I don't get that.. but it is cool.

VAiN
07-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Eh, the 11 core will own it.

clarathecarrot
07-28-2011, 01:20 AM
Rotflmao!