PDA

View Full Version : Question for Southerners

Seshmeister
08-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Is Colin Firth's accent ok in this, to me it sounds pretty wrong...?

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IqnZbhe6Mfo?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IqnZbhe6Mfo?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

chefcraig
08-03-2011, 09:17 AM
The key to pulling off a southern dialect is to simply slow down the speech pattern and breathe through the sentences, like you are singing. There is a certain "Aw, shucks" tone to the voices of southern intellectuals. Here, it sounds forced, as if it's a self-conscious decision to pinch his words while simultaneously affecting a drawl. The vowels (particularly the "o"s) pop up in a mispronounced, elongated form. This is as odds with the clipped manner he offers every other word, making the drawl sound goofy.

UK actors have struggled with American dialects for years. Some, like Hugh Laurie, pretty much grumble their way through their lines in order to get rid of all traces of the British accent. While this works to an extent, it also fails because the actor sounds like he is from no distinct area of the country. In a way, the same can be true of actors trying to affect a "region", rather than a specific province. As a result, Firth sounds at times like he is from Texas, South Carolina, Louisiana and oddly enough, somewhere in Northern Pennsylvania.

In answer to the question, nope, it doesn't quite work.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-03-2011, 10:02 AM
As a result, Firth sounds at times like he is from Texas, South Carolina, Louisiana and oddly enough, somewhere in Northern Pennsylvania.

In answer to the question, nope, it doesn't quite work.

Let's not get carried away....

chefcraig
08-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Let's not get carried away....

Trust me, I have relatives all through that area. Everyone in the family has that clipped way of dropping or twisting certain consonants, and if I haven't spoken to them in a while, it takes me about 15 minutes to get used to it and understand just what in the hell they are talking about.

jhale667
08-03-2011, 10:24 AM
...Another thing I notice (being raised in the wannabe-South that really isn't, and beaten as a child not to sound like a hick) about Southerner's speech patterns and inflection is that, even when they're NOT asking a question, the pitch of the voice raises at the end of sentences in a somewhat quizzical manner; it almost sounds like even THEY'RE not sure what they're talking about...I notice a lot of actors don't nail that bit of it.

I can still mimic it pretty well, but I'm finding the longer I'm away from it, the more it seems when I visit listening to people I have to think for a minute about wtf they're saying...much like trying to translate Spanish in LA...:hee:

jhale667
08-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Trust me, I have relatives all through that area. Everyone in the family has that clipped way of dropping or twisting certain consonants, and if I haven't spoken to them in a while, it takes me about 15 minutes to get used to it and understand just what in the hell they are talking about.

Doesn't Eastern PA count as part of "Appalachia" anyway? Chef's right, though - I too can attest the area has it's own "hicky" sort of dialect as compared to say, people in Philly or somewhere more Metropolitan...

VAiN
08-03-2011, 11:02 AM
I can't say for sure... everyone I come across here is from NY or a fucking island.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-03-2011, 11:18 AM
or a fucking island.

:hee:

Lyrics to Why Isn't There More Fucking On This Island? :
Lost leaves us with many unanswered questions
There are countless mysteries unsolved
But of the puzzles that confound
And the loose ends left unwound
One thing I wonder most of all

Why isn't there more fucking on this island?
You're on the best vacation of your life
I'd take Sayid and get everything I need
I don't care that he used to have a wife

When everyone on it is so hot
Jack should stop debating, and start ejaculating
Take advantage of what little time he's got

And just fuck, fuck, fuck 'til the smoke monster takes you away
Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til you try to carry dynamite from Black Rock
Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til the tall lady from West Wing stabs you
Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til that guy forgets to push a button

When you know you're never gonna leave
You're never getting off so you might as well get off
The babies all die so who cares if you conceive?

Everyone's so careful with their heart
No need to commit, let them put you in a split
And hide their external body part

Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til you get between Michael and Walt
Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til your dad pretends not to love you
Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til you drown trying to do something selfless
Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til you're annoying and get buried alive

[Whit Hertford]
Why is there no fucking on this island?
Don't they know that they could have all this?
I should plow that ass before I smother them with gas
I'm evil but I still have needs

The girls here are so very, very pretty
And I also kinda like the dudes
Find some find fish to eat, then fill myself with meat
I'll say that Jacob told me to

When you know you're probably gonna die
With carnage all around, all I'd wanna do is pound
You can crash your plane between my right thigh and my left thigh

Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til you fall down a well and set off a nuke
Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til you get crushed in a plane full of heroin
Fucl, fuck, fuck 'til time travel induces a fatal nosebleed
'Til you get strangled and your corpse is transported to the island, acting as a proxy for Jack's dad, then you're in another plane crash and you get impersonated by the smoke monster and leave a suicide note saying "If only you believed me"

Seshmeister
08-03-2011, 11:45 AM
...Another thing I notice (being raised in the wannabe-South that really isn't, and beaten as a child not to sound like a hick) about Southerner's speech patterns and inflection is that, even when they're NOT asking a question, the pitch of the voice raises at the end of sentences in a somewhat quizzical manner; it almost sounds like even THEY'RE not sure what they're talking about...I notice a lot of actors don't nail that bit of it.

The dreaded high rising terminal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_rising_terminal

It has spread here now?
You know?
It started in Australia?
And then the Valley Girl types on TV shows?
Which made it?
Come over here?

Seshmeister
08-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Also known as AQI...

jhale667
08-03-2011, 01:35 PM
The dreaded high rising terminal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_rising_terminal

It has spread here now?
You know?
It started in Australia?
And then the Valley Girl types on TV shows?
Which made it?
Come over here?

(Read with Appalachian accent) Ah ain't rightly SURE...that that's whut it iz yer tawkin' uhBOUT...? It's like ah don't KNOW....but they bin tawkin' like that dang near long as ah kin REMEMBUR....? :lmao:

It's more of a lilt... not quite the same inflection as "Valley speak".
I'll never forget, on one of my first return visits after moving to LA, a friend there lecturing me for supposedly mispronouncing "I" (possibly the one word I drawled slightly back in the day)..."It ain't pronounced "eye" - it's "AH"!!" :umm:

But even though I hated every second of it, I'm SO glad my parents sent me to a private school that stressed proper grammar and pronunciation. When I moved to LA, I was in a band with (and worked at the same company as) a friend I grew up with and people ripped him mercilessly for sounding like a goober - one asked him one day "Why is it your friend speaks like a normal human and YOU sound like Gomer fucking Pyle??" :biggrin:

I DO think European actors are better at copping accents overall than their American counterparts - most American actors sound like idiots faking British accents for example, but the various southern dialects are tricky unless said actor actually spends some time in the area prior to trying to adopt the accent...you couldn't necessarily sound like someone from say, Georgia just by watching "Dukes of Hazzard" reruns, y'know? One of my friends is an Australian actress and she can do Valley speak or a NY accent without blinking...

chefcraig
08-03-2011, 01:50 PM
One of my friends is an Australian actress and she can do Valley speak or a NY accent without blinking...

She isn't the only one. The song used in this vid is by Kasey Chambers, who has one of purest Appalachian voices you've ever heard and just so happens to be from Australia. The tune comes from her extraordinary album The Captain released in 1999, and in between a couple of tracks on it you get to hear her normal speaking voice, which comes as quite a shock.

Sorry 'bout the "Jersey Shore-like" clip, but it's the only one I could find. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwS6IXCq7pM

FORD
08-03-2011, 02:36 PM
:hee:

Lyrics to Why Isn't There More Fucking On This Island? :
Lost leaves us with many unanswered questions
There are countless mysteries unsolved
But of the puzzles that confound
And the loose ends left unwound
One thing I wonder most of all

When you know you're never gonna leave
You're never getting off so you might as well get off
The babies all die so who cares if you conceive?

Everyone's so careful with their heart
No need to commit, let them put you in a split
And hide their external body part

Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til you get between Michael and Walt
Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til your dad pretends not to love you
Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til you drown trying to do something selfless
Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til you're annoying and get buried alive

[Whit Hertford]
Why is there no fucking on this island?
Don't they know that they could have all this?
I should plow that ass before I smother them with gas
I'm evil but I still have needs

The girls here are so very, very pretty
And I also kinda like the dudes
Find some find fish to eat, then fill myself with meat
I'll say that Jacob told me to

When you know you're probably gonna die
With carnage all around, all I'd wanna do is pound
You can crash your plane between my right thigh and my left thigh

Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til you fall down a well and set off a nuke
Fuck, fuck, fuck 'til you get crushed in a plane full of heroin
Fucl, fuck, fuck 'til time travel induces a fatal nosebleed
'Til you get strangled and your corpse is transported to the island, acting as a proxy for Jack's dad, then you're in another plane crash and you get impersonated by the smoke monster and leave a suicide note saying "If only you believed me"

Is that the new Chickenshit song? :biggrin:

PETE'S BROTHER
08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Is that the new Chickenshit song? :biggrin:

i don't see the word "love" or "dream", so probly not

chefcraig
08-03-2011, 02:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIDg5QNYVLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrcF7dYADsw

indeedido
08-03-2011, 05:10 PM
That was an awful accent. Even worse than Liam Neeson in Next of Kin. As a southern gentleman, I am offended I say I am offended.

Seshmeister
08-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Neeson has previous, doing Rob Roy as an Irishman.

Similar to Connery doing Russian and Irish just as Scottish but I think maybe it's better to just not try at all rather than make a mess of it.

jhale667
08-03-2011, 06:19 PM
As a southern gentleman, I am offended I say I am offended.

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/53663.gif

:lmao:

chefcraig
08-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Similar to Connery doing Russian and Irish just as Scottish but I think maybe it's better to just not try at all rather than make a mess of it.

You mean like in Valkyrie, where everybody spoke in a British accent, including the Germans? :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSy96KB7Dh4

Seshmeister
08-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Apart from Tom Cruise!

Another thing is that it's funny but for some reason you can't have Romans speaking in American accents, it has to be English.

Funniest example of this in movie history has to be John Wayne as the centurion at the crucifixion in 'The greatest story ever told'.

9:26 - 'Trueeely this maan was the son of god' = Comedy Gold! :D

<object width="640" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/7vNVoMI8K18?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/7vNVoMI8K18?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

chefcraig
08-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Right up there with Edward G. Robinson in The Ten Commandments: "Where's your Messiah now?"

kwame k
08-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Let's just get this post out of the way;)

standin
08-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Story time!
When I first went north for school, oh around about 15 or so years old, the first thing the school system did was put me in speech class to remove some of my accent. I remember that first year north. One of the events that stood out was I baffled that it was cold. Worse of, I had only winter clothes in winter colors. I was standing at my closet wondering what to do. It was cold but all my sweaters where in fall colors and it was spring out. So naturally, I called the radio station. After all they were the one's telling me it was cold out, maybe the weather man could explain what to do when it was cold during the spring time. They were quite pleased to help. For the rest of the season, we would pick my clothes. I did not mind so much that every one went on about my accent, I was grateful that we were able to help me choose warm clothes to wear. Come about the next season my accent was all but erased. When I got home back to the south, I was put back in speech class to learn a proper southern dialect. This time with no country twang. There is a difference, you know, between a proper southern dialect and a low southern dialect.

I have long since lost all those dialects. When I had to relearn English, I was taught English through a computer, for quite some time after 2004, I was told to my dismay, "You sound like a computer!" I suppose I did sound like a computer. However, it did not take long for me to find a native speech again. I have noticed while around the plain folk, I have found one of my most treasured dialects, the dialect of the plain folk. I enjoy the clear proper English speech with the clear German patterns.

Oral control is quite a thing to enjoy, yes?

VAiN
08-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Where are you from that it's so important to sound like everyone else? Around here I'm just happy if the person I'm talking to actually speaks English.

standin
08-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Where are you from that it's so important to sound like everyone else? Around here I'm just happy if the person I'm talking to actually speaks English.
I can't imagine that. I am from the south. The only time I was subject to non-English life in the south was during my time with the Russians. What have you experienced?

ashstralia
08-04-2011, 12:25 AM
what was that tony curtis movie with the 'yonder is da land of my faddah' line? classic.