PDA

View Full Version : Google "Loves Lucy"

FORD
08-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Google is celebrating Lucille Ball's 100th birthday by swapping out their regular logo with an old school TV set...

http://www.google.com/logos/2011/lucilleball11-hp-tv.png

The one at the website actually works though, and has 7 different clips from the classic TV series.

Nice tribute, but I still think the PacMan thing last year was cooler. My mom would love this (if she wasn't a technophobe with a crappy dial-up connection)

Seshmeister
08-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Only in the US.

sadaist
08-06-2011, 04:44 PM
I've been thinking lately about maybe getting an old 60's-70's style big fat console cabinet TV. I think about the largest screen I could hope for would be 19" which used to be considered big. We had one when I grew up. Was terrific piece of furniture. The top was loaded with a giant VCR and family pictures & I think even a plant and a couple little league trophies. ColecoVision & Atari wired up to the side of the TV in a jumbled wiry mess.

And yep....any time I was home sick from school me & Mom would watch I Love Lucy on that thing. Happy birthday Lucy. Thanks for the laughs. Still fun to watch to this day. The woman was a comic genius.

Nitro Express
08-06-2011, 04:51 PM
My grandmother had one of those huge consoles. I had the TV, a record player/receiver and big speaker on each side and even storage space for the LP's. Yeah it was real high quality furniture that was solid wood. I remember she rearranged her living room and we had to move it and I think a piano was less weight.

Nitro Express
08-06-2011, 05:03 PM
The early 70's. Everyone's living room was decorated in Danish Modern with the big huge console. Maybe a piano in the corner. The big sectional couch that was square and low to the ground with those spindly legs and a big amoeba shaped coffee table with those big fake glass grapes laying on top of it. If it was a smoker's house there would be cool ashtrays and a huge ass lighter embedded in some decorative ceramic to light the cancer sticks with.

If you were a kid it was touch the console and die. Touch the records and die. If you were good you might get to change channels with the Zenith Space Command remote that made a big click when you pushed the oval shaped buttons down.

FORD
08-06-2011, 05:07 PM
The early 70's. Everyone's living room was decorated in Danish Modern with the big huge console. Maybe a piano in the corner. The big sectional couch that was square and low to the ground with those spindly legs and a big amoeba shaped coffee table with those big fake glass grapes laying on top of it. If it was a smoker's house there would be cool ashtrays and a huge ass lighter embedded in some decorative ceramic to light the cancer sticks with.

If you were a kid it was touch the console and die. Touch the records and die. If you were good you might get to change channels with the Zenith Space Command remote that made a big click when you pushed the oval shaped buttons down.

Sounds like my grandpa's house alright (mom's dad) Except for maybe the plastic grapes.

sadaist
08-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Would be really cool to take a new HD 32" flat TV and build it in to an old style solid wood console. You get the retro feel from when we were kids, but the new technology television. Maybe even build a new turntable into the top for listening to those vinyls. I really shoulda payed more attention in wood shop.

Nitro Express
08-06-2011, 07:44 PM
It must have been the in thing to have in your home because several houses had them. They were glass grapes like giant marbles on wires and they were bunched around a piece of wood and it looked like a big ass cluster of grapes. Then another thing I remember were these really tall hand blown vases that looked kind of cool. You would see them in different homes. Plastic fruit was around too. I remember my mom had a big ass candle holder with fake grapes dangling over the top with a big ass candle stick in the middle of the cluster. That thing had to be 2-3 feet tall. We also had a fountain with fake plants around it. So yeah grapes and fake plants and stuff was the in thing then.

FORD
08-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Would be really cool to take a new HD 32" flat TV and build it in to an old style solid wood console. You get the retro feel from when we were kids, but the new technology television. Maybe even build a new turntable into the top for listening to those vinyls. I really shoulda payed more attention in wood shop.

Aren't you the guy who builds/rebuilds video game consoles? I would think this would be right up your alley.

sadaist
08-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Aren't you the guy who builds/rebuilds video game consoles? I would think this would be right up your alley.

Yeah. But an arcade cabinet is really basic cuts & lines. The old console we had had some intricate scroll work, beveling, polishing, etc. I could probably do it, but would be a long ass project. And I have OCD with stuff like that. Once I begin a project I have to finish it. So I fear it would consume me until completed.

Nitro Express
08-06-2011, 10:03 PM
My cousin had purple shag carpeting in her room and a curtain of orange beads hung from the ceiling you had to go through to get into her room. She had a huge bean bag chair and a lava lamp. I'm sure a bong was hidden somewhere in there.

Nitro Express
08-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah. But an arcade cabinet is really basic cuts & lines. The old console we had had some intricate scroll work, beveling, polishing, etc. I could probably do it, but would be a long ass project. And I have OCD with stuff like that. Once I begin a project I have to finish it. So I fear it would consume me until completed.

Especially the ones from the 60's. They started cutting corners in the 70's. The top and lift up lids were solid hardwood. They weighed a freaking ton because all the electronics were tubes. Those old television consoles were built like a freaking tank.

Nitro Express
08-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Hey this guy has good taste in music. Notice the Van Halen album!

Sensible Shoes
08-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Sounds like my grandpa's house alright (mom's dad) Except for maybe the plastic grapes.
No no, GLASS grapes. Art piece. The plastic grapes and other fruit were usually laid out in a bowl in italian homes. These were different. Not entirely horrible.

Our console was METAL. I remember one vacation we came home and it had a footprint in the middle of it - like somebody had dragged it over to the closet and used it to get into the crawlspace. That was one heavy TV. Does anybody else remember the tuners going and having to jam a matchbook up under the dial to make it connect?

I hate all the danish modern shit. Fortunately, by 1974 people had moved into the harvest gold, avacado green, orange shag carpeting and plaid furniture thing. Course, I hate that too, but it's more 70's to me than that other crap.

And who said they had a REMOTE????? Wow.

I don't remember VHS recorders til the early 80s. But of course, it was Buffalo.

FORD
08-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Not just Buffalo. My parents didn't own a VCR until 1984. And they still can't program one :biggrin:

What I do remember about that first VCR though, as well as the TV we had at the time, was the fine tuning adjusters, which allowed me to tune in channels that the cable company didn't tell us we were supposed to have yet. Back when all TV's still only got 13 channels (other than the UHF thing, which cable never used)

Hell, I even managed to get HBO - kind of. It was a clear picture, but only in black and white. I guess their primitive scrambling only messed up the color part of the picture. Also there wasn't any sound, but I managed to find that at the lower end of the FM dial. So as long as you were OK with black & white TV, free movies & shit.

I think that might be why they stopped making TV's with fine tuning adjustment, because the cable companies didn't like what you could do with it.