PDA

View Full Version : MICHAEL ANTHONY Says CHICKENSHIT Would Open For VAN HALEN

Unchainme
08-08-2011, 12:38 AM
CHICKENFOOT, the supergroup featuring former VAN HALEN members Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony, will release its sophomore effort, "Chickenfoot III", on September 27. VAN HALEN is also rumored to be releasing a new album this fall.

Speaking to VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner, Michael said, "I know people, from the fans and the critics, they'll all be doing the heavy comparison thing and you know what, I'd be lying if I didn't say, 'Yeah, sure I'm interested to hear what a new album, you know, what they got happening.' But I'm very proud of what we've done and I don't mind at all. They can put their album out before, after, or on the same day. They want to go out on tour, we'll open up for them, I don't care. [laughs]"

Anthony hasn't spoken to any of the members of VAN HALEN since the end of the band's 2004 tour. He said earlier this year, "The tour did not end as harmoniously as we would have liked it to and it probably should have gone on longer than it did." Still, Anthony wouldn't be against having his band CHICKENFOOT open for VAN HALEN should they go on tour — "I got no problem with that," he said.

Anthony last year said that Eddie and Alex Van Halen hold a grudge against him for maintaining a friendship with Sammy Hagar. Anthony recalled to Mojo, that the problems started between him and the band when in the late '90s, VAN HALEN once again tried unsuccessfully to bring David Lee Roth back into the fold. With VAN HALEN seemingly on hiatus, Hagar had called Anthony to see if he was interested in hooking up with him and Neal Schon in their side project PLANET US.

Anthony explained, "Some VAN HALEN fans say I left the band to hook up with Sammy, but I never said, 'I quit.' There was nothing going on in the VAN HALEN camp, but Eddie kinda backed me up against a wall. . . Eddie felt that I was a traitor. I helped hook Sammy back up with them for the 2004 reunion tour, but Eddie didn't want me to be a part of that originally, so I took a big pay cut. I'm not crying, I didn't need the money. I did that because I wanted to play for the fans. I signed away any legal rights I had with the name, the trademark or whatever. I did it because if that was the last time VAN HALEN would ever be on stage, I wanted to be part of it."

He went on to say, "The major reason why I'm not in VAN HALEN (now) is because I became friends with Sammy again. The Van Halen brothers never got over that. If they hold a grudge, they hold it forever."

During VAN HALEN's August 2007 press conference announcing their reunion tour with David Lee Roth and Eddie's son Wolfgang Van Halen on bass, Roth skirted over the issue of why a then-16 year old kid was playing bass instead of Anthony. "Michael Anthony is part of this band's history, " he said. "There's a lot of great alumni who have been through this band. I'm shocked that any of us are still vertical after 30 years. And as far as why Wolf is in the band, may I speak for you, Ed? I understand how he wanted to play with the boy because he's amazing."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=161630

lesfunk
08-08-2011, 12:41 AM
no comment

Unchainme
08-08-2011, 12:53 AM
mainly posted for the Anthony quotes on him being kicked out.

I still wonder why Hagar was hooked into that Van Hagar Reunion tour myself. I mean, you had the rumors in the early part of the 2000's of Roth and Eddie in the studio (which turned out to be true), and just solely judging by the fact that they were WILLING to at least do that, my only assumption was it was some minor legal dispute that kept them from doing so.

Diamondjimi
08-08-2011, 01:08 AM
I still wonder why Hagar was hooked into that Van Hagar Reunion tour myself.

Think about it. VH is his only connection to credibility. Sham would sell his first born to be in VH again...

Unchainme
08-08-2011, 01:21 AM
Think about it. VH is his only connection to credibility. Sham would sell his first born to be in VH again...

I know that. But I mean, Eddie calling him up for it. My only explanation is that Meth must be one hell of a drug.

Seshmeister
08-08-2011, 01:22 AM
Of course the other 2 headlines could have been "CHICKENFOOT refuse to Open For VAN HALEN" and "CHICKENFOOT refuse to deny opening For VAN HALEN"

Diamondjimi
08-08-2011, 03:10 AM
I know that. But I mean, Eddie calling him up for it. My only explanation is that Meth must be one hell of a drug.

I just call it greed....... ;)

binnie
08-08-2011, 05:20 AM
The only way I could see it happening is if it makes business sense for all parties involved.

Would VH sell significantly more tickets with Chickenfoot opening? Doubt it.

sadaist
08-08-2011, 05:59 AM
The only way I could see it happening is if it makes business sense for all parties involved.

Would VH sell significantly more tickets with Chickenfoot opening? Doubt it.

Does anyone other than the hardcore fans even know wtf chickenfoot is? I mean, other than reading this site I have never heard boo about them.

fryingdutchman
08-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Seems like just more re-hashing of what Mike's been saying since 2004/2005.

I've gone on record numerous times here saying that I miss Mike being in VH, and he needs to be there to make things "complete." I believe his version of what transpired in '04, and the VH boys kicking him out of the band for being friends with somebody they don't like is an immature thing to do....even if that "somebody" is that fucking douchebag Spammy.

But Ed and Alex have a well-established track record of making rash decisions based on emotions and not logic or business savvy. And psychologically I don't think they'd have the stones to allow Chickenshit on the same bill with them, even if it would drive in extra fans who still want to see Mike in one form or another, or (God forbid) Sammy.

And let's not forget about Satriani. He's no slouch, and there would probably be fans coming to the shows who would be there primarily for him...and VH may be considered secondary. But again, would Ed allow another guitar virtuoso to set the table for him, and possibly even outdo him in the speed and style department?

None of us know what Ed's been up to in the last 4 years. We haven't heard a single note from the man.

But even though Chickenfoot music is cookie-cutter, Hagar-infested crap-ola, at least we know that Satriani still has chops.

I don't think Ed is secure enough in his own abilities anymore to risk it.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Moving to HOM.....

Etienne
08-08-2011, 11:27 AM
The Sammy's bass player problem...

FORD
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
How exactly could Chickenshit open for Van Halen when Spam is doing a solo tour with the Velveetareetas ?

Just saw the Puyallup Fair concert lineup, and it appears that cheese and giant inflatable tequila bottles are descending upon Washington state in September. Guess Mikey didn't get the memo? Maybe Mona got tired of an extra bassplayer hanging around.

Guitar Shark
08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
C'mon FORD, like he wouldn't scrap the Wabos tour sched if he had a chance to open for VH.

LoungeMachine
08-08-2011, 03:30 PM
C'mon FORD, like he wouldn't scrap the Wabos tour sched if he had a chance to open for VH.

And have to refund those $500 appearance fees not to mention the 5 or 6 tickets purchased online for each show????

:gulp:

rocking ron
08-08-2011, 03:59 PM
first it was Chickenfoot with Hurtsmile now Chickenfoot -Van Halen !!??? what a bull shit!!!

First I want that goddamn cd in my player while I'm driving 130 km p/h.........:baaa:

FORD
08-08-2011, 04:34 PM
If 2002 was any precedent, Hagar would insist that Van Halen open for Chickenshit on at least half of the shows.

Which is why it would never happen.

Hardrock69
08-08-2011, 04:53 PM
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5109_4.gif

:lmao: :lol: :lmao:

hotsummerknight
08-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Does anyone other than the hardcore fans even know wtf chickenfoot is? I mean, other than reading this site I have never heard boo about them.

my friends who dig RHCP know of chickenfoot and they don't like them.

rocking ron
08-08-2011, 05:20 PM
If 2002 was any precedent, Hagar would insist that Van Halen open for Chickenshit on at least half of the shows.

Which is why it would never happen.

Where did we see this before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

You know ; I don't wanna see Chickenshit at all anymore!!!

By the way, it's some kind of discusting ; that ugly name Ch....... on our concert-tickets of VAN HALEN :baaa:

Nitro Express
08-08-2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5109_4.gif

:lmao: :lol: :lmao:

If Ed had two more kids he would fire Al and Dave and the whole band would be his spawn.

Sam42
08-09-2011, 12:35 PM
MA, as well as that fat fuck Spammy, knows that the only way to get any attention to the new Chickenshit album is to rehash the same VH stories over and over. They know that without mentioning VH, the album would sell even less than the pitiful amount it's already probably gonna sell anyways. These guys just can't shut up and let the music do the talking because the music is freaking pathetic.