PDA

View Full Version : Contract for the American Dream

FORD
08-09-2011, 03:08 PM
We, the American people, promise to defend and advance a simple ideal: liberty and justice . . . for all. Americans who are willing to work hard and play by the rules should be able to find a decent job, get a good home in a strong community, retire with dignity, and give their kids a better life. Every one of us – rich, poor, or in-between, regardless of skin color or birthplace, no matter their sexual orientation or gender – has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That is our covenant, our compact, our contract with one another. It is a promise we can fulfill – but only by working together.

Today, the American Dream is under threat. Our veterans are coming home to few jobs and little hope on the home front. Our young people are graduating off a cliff, burdened by heavy debt, into the worst job market in half a century. The big banks that American taxpayers bailed out won’t cut homeowners a break. Our firefighters, nurses, cops, and teachers – America’s everyday heroes – are being thrown out onto the street. We believe:

America is not broke

America is rich – still the wealthiest nation ever. But too many at the top are grabbing the gains. No person or corporation should be allowed to take from America while giving little or nothing back. The super-rich who got tax breaks and bailouts should now pay full taxes – and help create jobs here, not overseas. Those who do well in America should do well by America.

Americans need jobs, not cuts

Many of our best workers are sitting idle while the work of rebuilding America goes undone. Together, we must rebuild our country, reinvest in our people and jump-start the industries of the future. Millions of jobless Americans would love the opportunity to become working, tax-paying members of their communities again. We have a jobs crisis, not a deficit crisis.

To produce this Contract for the American Dream, 131,203 Americans came together online and in their communities. We wrote and rated 25,904 ideas. Together, we identified the 10 most critical steps to get our economy back on track and restore the American Dream:

10 Critical Steps to Get Our Economy Back on Track

I. Invest in America's Infrastructure
II. Create 21st Century Energy Jobs
III. Invest in Public Education
IV. Offer Medicare for All
V. Make Work Pay
VI. Secure Social Security
VII. Return to Fairer Tax Rates
VIII. End the Wars and Invest at Home
IX. Tax Wall Street Speculation
X. Strengthen Democracy

Like what you see? Read more here -----> http://contract.rebuildthedream.com/

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 11:21 AM
10 Critical Steps to Get Our Economy Back on Track

I. Invest in America's Infrastructure: Not enough. I don't build bridges mexicans do.
II. Create 21st Century Energy Jobs: ok
III. Invest in Public Education: ok but how are you going to fund it?
IV. Offer Medicare for All: OK. That measn we all have to pay more though.
V. Make Work Pay: OK how?
VI. Secure Social Security: Again we have to pay more.
VII. Return to Fairer Tax Rates: I don't know what that means. What's fair?
VIII. End the Wars and Invest at Home: Agree 100%
IX. Tax Wall Street Speculation: OK I guess. Don't know how you would regulate that though. Sound like more government red tape to me.
X. Strengthen Democracy: :umm:

Like what you see? Read more here -----> http://contract.rebuildthedream.com/

I agree in part with most of this. But

FORD
08-10-2011, 11:39 AM
From the Contract for the American Dream website (link above).....

X. Strengthen Democracy

We need clean, fair elections -- where no one's right to vote can be taken away, and where money doesn't buy you your own member of Congress. We must ban anonymous political influence, slam shut the lobbyists' revolving door in D.C., and publicly finance elections. Immigrants who want to join in our democracy deserve a clear path to citizenship. We must stop giving corporations the rights of people when it comes to our elections. And we must ensure our judiciary's respect for the Constitution. Together, we will reclaim our democracy to get our country back on track.

Which part of that do you have a problem with?

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 12:04 PM
From the Contract for the American Dream website (link above).....

Which part of that do you have a problem with?

Some of it.
We need clean, fair elections -- where no one's right to vote can be taken away, and where money doesn't buy you your own member of Congress. This is really just silly. Convicted felons can't vote. Other than that I am pretty sure every American has the right to vote and if someone if paying for votes I want in. I could use the cash.
Publicly finance elections? Fuck no. Have you seen what the deficit is? Actually I really don't know how you would do that on a federal level.
Immigrants who want to join in our democracy deserve a clear path to citizenship. They already have that they just choose not to learn english so they can do it.

We must stop giving corporations the rights of people when it comes to our elections: Corperations can't vote.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 12:11 PM
That's socialized medicine. Is that really a good idea?

IV. Offer Medicare for AllWe should expand Medicare so it's available to all Americans, and reform it to provide even more cost-effective, quality care. The Affordable Care Act is a good start and we must implement it -- but it's not enough. We can save trillions of dollars by joining every other industrialized country -- paying much less for health care while getting the same or better results.

FORD
08-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Corporations don't have to vote. They buy the candidates you vote for. Why do you think Ron Paul is never the Repuke nominee, and Dennis Kucinich is never the Democratic nominee?

They buy TV ad time - now completely unrestricted, thanks to the Shittyzens United abortion by the BCE hacks on the Supreme Court - and control the message of the whore media, to the point where millions of uninformed, and misinformed voters routinely vote against their own interests, as seen in Wisconsin yesterday.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Corporations don't have to vote. They buy the candidates you vote for. Why do you think Ron Paul is never the Repuke nominee, and Dennis Kucinich is never the Democratic nominee?

They buy TV ad time - now completely unrestricted, thanks to the Shittyzens United abortion by the BCE hacks on the Supreme Court - and control the message of the whore media, to the point where millions of uninformed, and misinformed voters routinely vote against their own interests, as seen in Wisconsin yesterday.

So that's why I voted for Obama. He got more TV time that McCain and Palin. :biggrin:

You really believe that shit FORD?

FORD
08-10-2011, 02:31 PM
So that's why I voted for Obama. He got more TV time that McCain and Palin. :biggrin:

You really believe that shit FORD?

Obama's campaign was before Shittyzens United, but what Obama did was successfully market himself as a "liberal". Not as liberal as Kucinich, but reasonably to the left of Hillary Clinton, who was supposed to "walk away" with the 2008 nomination.

Turns out he wasn't that at all :(