PDA

View Full Version : Republicans reveal picks for debt "super committee"

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 12:17 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20090656-503544.html?tag=cbsnewsLeadStoriesAreaMain

Republican leaders in the House and the Senate today announced their appointees to the 12-member, bipartisan congressional "super committee" charged with finding at least $1.2 trillion in budget savings by Thanksgiving.

House Speaker John Boehner said he's tapped House Republican Conference Chairman Jeb Hensarling, R-Texas, to serve as co-chair of the committee. He's also appointing House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp, R-Mich., to the committee, as well as House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Fred Upton, R-Mich.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said he's appointing Sens. Jon Kyl, Ariz., Pat Toomey, Pa., and Rob Portman, Ohio.

In a statement, McConnell said the three senators he's chosen understand the "gravity" of the current economic climate and will bring to the table "the kind of responsibility, creativity, and thoughtfulness that the moment requires."

"The American people know that we cannot dig ourselves out of this situation by nibbling around the edges, and I am confident that each of these nominees can be counted on to propose solutions that put the interests of all Americans ahead of any one political party," McConnell said.

Boehner said in a statement he appointed "proven leaders who have earned the trust and confidence of their colleagues and constituents."

The 12-member group, called the Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction, was created as part of the deal to increase the debt ceiling. Along with the three Republican senators and three House Republicans, the group will be comprised of three House Democrats and three Senate Democrats.

Yesterday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid confirmed he is naming Sen. Patty Murray, Wash., to co-chair the committee. He also appointed Sens. Max Baucus, Mont., and John Kerry, Mass., to the committee.

The 12-member group has until Nov. 23 to come up with a deficit reduction plan. If a majority approves the plan, the House and Senate must vote on it by December 23. If the plan is rejected, it will automatically trigger $1.2 trillion in cuts in areas like Medicare and national security.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 12:18 PM
I guess thay have good reason to do something or both sides get fucked.

FORD
08-10-2011, 12:28 PM
This whole thing is a joke. Not a funny joke, just a sickening, blatantly unconstitutional joke. And I see Spineless Harry is being his usual cowardly self. He had an opportunity here to find three actual DEMOCRATS (Bernie Sanders would be one obvious choice) to at least make a half assed attempt at fairness. Instead he went with the criminal insurance industry's 2010 MVP, the assclown who took a dive in 2004, and the former "mom in tennis shoes" who has so betrayed her own constituents in recent years that she got to chair the DLC client agency for Senate capitulation for 2012.

Gee.... can't wait to see who Jellyfish Pelosi picks. Bet there's not a single member of the Progressive Caucus among them. :sick0020:

Guitar Shark
08-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Didn't Sanders vote against the last minute budget deal? If true, that would provide at least one reason why he wasn't picked.

FORD
08-10-2011, 01:46 PM
That's the main reason he SHOULD be on this stupid fucking unconstitutional "super committee". The turtle picked three hard right extremists. Boner picked three hard right extremists. Now Reid has picked a far right extremist, and two people who are still labeled as "liberals", but their voting records of the last decade say otherwise.

And since the worst thing about this travesty is that it only requires a "simple" majority (as opposed to the 60 plus votes that Pussy Reid wants for anything else in a real Senate vote) that means that just by nominating Baucus alone, he already threw the whole game. Even if Pelosi picked Dennis Kucinich, Raul Grijalva, and Jim McDermott, this game is already rigged.

And no, I don't expect Pelosi's picks to be that good.

Guitar Shark
08-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I understand your position FORD, and I hate the budget deal too, but you can't honestly expect Reid to appoint someone who voted AGAINST the bill to the committee charged with the task of making it work.

Jagermeister
08-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I understand your position FORD, and I hate the budget deal too, but you can't honestly expect Reid to appoint someone who voted AGAINST the bill to the committee charged with the task of making it work.

Sure he can. That's the way he thinks. As hard as I try I just can't get through to him.:biggrin:

FORD
08-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Reid knew damn well that Boner & the turtle would pick the most extreme teabagging fucks they could find. The ONLY legitimate balance to that, is to appoint the three most Liberal members of the Senate. If the result is to be determined by a simple majority, and one of your three appointees is a guaranteed vote for the other team (Baucus) then that is nothing but throwing the goddamn game before the team even takes the field.

Would Sanders vote against cuts to programs that help the American people? HELL FUCKING YES. That's the entire point.

jhale667
08-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Reid knew damn well that Boner & the turtle would pick the most extreme teabagging fucks they could find. The ONLY legitimate balance to that, is to appoint the three most Liberal members of the Senate. If the result is to be determined by a simple majority, and one of your three appointees is a guaranteed vote for the other team (Baucus) then that is nothing but throwing the goddamn game before the team even takes the field.

Would Sanders vote against cuts to programs that help the American people? HELL FUCKING YES. That's the entire point.

When asked if Sanders thought he had a chance at getting appointed to the committee his response was "I wouldn't hold my breath..." :umm: Agree the polar opposites of the Rethuglican goons should have been picked for this. If these idiots don't stand up to the Tea Potty extremists, we're doomed.

FORD
08-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Didn't Sanders vote against the last minute budget deal? If true, that would provide at least one reason why he wasn't picked.

So did Turtle's appointee Pat Toomey (TB - PA)

knuckleboner
08-10-2011, 08:16 PM
That's the main reason he SHOULD be on this stupid fucking unconstitutional "super committee".

how exactly is it unconstitutional?

is it a great deal? no. were the republicans like middle schoolers on the playground, ready to fuck up the whole game because they wanted to take their ball and go home? yep. were the democrats like middle schoolers at the dance, afraid to do anything but stand in the corner? yep.

that said, it's still constitutional.

Dr. Love
08-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Article I Section 14 states that Congress must do things that FORD agrees with. Thus, unconstitutional.

FORD
08-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Article I Section 14 states that Congress must do things that FORD agrees with. Thus, unconstitutional.

Cool. That will make it easier to roll back all the fucking bullshit policies of the last 30 years that caused this mess.

Seriously though, there's nothing in the Constitution about a "Super congress" or any of these fucking "gang" committees (none of which ever seem to have many actual Democrats in them)

Jagermeister
08-11-2011, 04:40 PM
FORD here you go.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20091253-503544.html?tag=stack

Pelosi reveals "super committee" picks
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi announced her appointments to the bipartisan congressional "super committee" on Thursday , tapping Democratic Reps. Chris Van Hollen (Md.), Xavier Becerra (Calif.) and James Clyburn (S.C.) to join nine other lawmakers tasked with reducing the deficit by at least $1.2 trillion by Thanksgiving.

In a tweet announcing the selection, Pelosi said the three lawmakers will "focus on economic growth & job creation--which reduces deficit."

And in a subsequent statement, she said she hoped the committee could still work toward achieving a "grand bargain."

"We must achieve a 'grand bargain' that reduces the deficit by addressing our entire budget, while strengthening Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security," she said. "Our entire Caucus will work closely with these three appointees toward this goal, which is the goal of the American people."

CBSNews.com special report: America's debt battle

Pelosi also called for the committee to work in an "open" and "transparent" environment.

"Because the work of this committee will affect all Americans, I called last week for its deliberations to be transparent; the committee should conduct its proceedings in the open," she said in her statement.

Clyburn, the third-ranking House Democrat, and Van Hollen, the ranking Democrat on the House Budget Committee and former head of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, were both involved in the failed bipartisan deficit discussions led by Vice President Joe Biden earlier this year.

Becerra, vice chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, was among those who voted against the debt limit deal, arguing that the bill "does not speak to the values of America."

White House: Request for "super committee" to stop fundraising is "silly"
Will Congress's "super committee" get results?
Republicans reveal picks for debt "super committee"

"It is not balanced nor does it ask for shared sacrifice," he said.

The selection of the three House Democrats rounds out the bipartisan, 12-person group. Republican leaders in the House and the Senate announced their appointees on Wednesday. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid made his decision public on Tuesday.

House Speaker John Boehner tapped House Republican Conference Chairman Jeb Hensarling, R-Texas, to serve as co-chair of the committee. He also appointed House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp, R-Mich., and House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Fred Upton, R-Mich., to the committee.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell appointed Sens. Jon Kyl (Ariz.) Pat Toomey (Pa.) and Rob Portman (Ohio). Reid named Sen. Patty Murray (Wash.) to co-chair the committee, and also appointed Sens. Max Baucus, (Mont.) and John Kerry (Mass.) to serve on it.

Jagermeister
08-11-2011, 04:42 PM
In a tweet announcing the selection, Pelosi said the three lawmakers will "focus on economic growth & job creation--which reduces deficit."

She is such a fucking idiot.

FORD
08-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Well, I'd have to say Pelosi's three picks are more reasonable than any of the other groups of three in this unconstitutional gang. Unlike Reid's picks, there are no blatant Repuke moles like Baucus here. Still would have preferred Dennis Kucinich or Jim McDermott in there. Not that it matters because Baucus will side with the goddamn teabaggers anyway, and that will give them a "majority". Ironic that he was appointed by a spineless coward who doesn't know what the word majority means when it comes to the real Senate.

knuckleboner
08-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Cool. That will make it easier to roll back all the fucking bullshit policies of the last 30 years that caused this mess.

Seriously though, there's nothing in the Constitution about a "Super congress" or any of these fucking "gang" committees (none of which ever seem to have many actual Democrats in them)

there's nothing in the constitution about the EPA, but that's still constitutional...

in all seriousness, the "super" committee was authorized by a law passed by both houses and signed by the president. all it's empowered to do is make a recommendation that both houses get the opportunity to vote on. perfectly constitutional.

however, in the event that you are the determining factor of what is constitutional, then the knuckleboner shudders for ray daniels.

no, actually, no i don't...

FORD
08-12-2011, 12:15 AM
The EPA didn't exist in 1787, so it wouldn't be mentioned in the Constitution. But the duties of the three branches of the Federal government, and the structure of Congress were. And there was nothing about gangs or super committees, or the mere threat of a filibuster causing the Senate majority leader to piss his holy undergarments and cave in, even with a 10 vote majority, every goddamn time.

Reid isn't doing his job. Neither is Obama. Pelosi's not blameless either, but at least she managed to find three democrats for this travesty. But all three of them have caved repeatedly to these KKKoch funded economic terrorists. Who is going to stand up to these fucks?

FORD
08-12-2011, 12:18 AM
As for Daniels, tragically he's not a US citizen, and I doubt the Canadians would extradite him just so I could kick his ass. At least not as long as Harper's in charge. :(