PDA

View Full Version : My Good Mate Barney...

ashstralia
08-12-2011, 06:23 AM
had a horrible accident on his motorbike yesterday. an elderly lady pulled out in front of him. he's in hospital in brisbane, in an induced coma. he has a shattered leg, broken wrist, hip, ribs, but luckily no spinal or head injuries. he would have been at soundwave with me. those of you who read the golf thread would be aware of his golf love, too. there won't be any golf for a while.

he is an atheist, but any of you who feel the need to throw a prayer to your deity of choice for him, please go ahead. i'll be visiting him on thursday 18th august, and if i could show him this thread and the well wishes of like minded people (he's a huge cvh fan) half a world away i know it will lift his spirits.

i just wanted to share this with you, my roth brothers and sisters, as a way of helping you help me help him, if you know what i mean. when he gets out i'll probably be his carer for a while. as you can imagine, i'm pretty messed up right now too. thanks for reading.

ash.

clarathecarrot
08-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Sending the good stuff your way for your bud.

ashstralia
08-12-2011, 09:56 AM
thanks clara. spoke to his sis, more surgery tomorrow to try and save the leg. these first few days are going to be tough.

VAiN
08-12-2011, 10:26 AM
So sorry to hear that.. hang in there, buddy.. this too shall pass. Sending some good vibes your way... it may be delayed with the time change and all, but they're on their way!

SunisinuS
08-12-2011, 11:22 AM
My thoughts go out to him and your families. Painful recovery, but there will be one.

ThrillsNSpills
08-12-2011, 11:43 AM
sorry ash.

elderly people on the road who don't know their skills disappeared gradually is a continuing problem.
time to invoke the logan's run act and send them to carousel before they endanger anyone else.

Etienne
08-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Hope your friend recovers very well. My best wishes to him.

Blaze
08-12-2011, 01:44 PM
had a horrible accident on his motorbike yesterday. an elderly lady pulled out in front of him. he's in hospital in brisbane, in an induced coma. he has a shattered leg, broken wrist, hip, ribs, but luckily no spinal or head injuries. he would have been at soundwave with me. those of you who read the golf thread would be aware of his golf love, too. there won't be any golf for a while.

he is an atheist, but any of you who feel the need to throw a prayer to your deity of choice for him, please go ahead. i'll be visiting him on thursday 18th august, and if i could show him this thread and the well wishes of like minded people (he's a huge cvh fan) half a world away i know it will lift his spirits.

i just wanted to share this with you, my roth brothers and sisters, as a way of helping you help me help him, if you know what i mean. when he gets out i'll probably be his carer for a while. as you can imagine, i'm pretty messed up right now too. thanks for reading.

ash.

I ask in prayer for ashstralia to have endurance of good character and to find comfort in troubling times.
I ask in prayer for Barney to have the best doctors for him drawn toward him in usefulness.
I ask in prayer for the people around Barney and ashstralia to have graced inspiration.
~Amen~

Hardrock69
08-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this Ash!

Please someday when he is recovered, let him know that we here at Roth Army were greatly disturbed by the news and want him to recover!

Will talk to the big Sound Engineer In The Sky on his behalf. :(

jhale667
08-12-2011, 03:14 PM
That sucks! Wishing your friend a speedy and complete recovery.

ashstralia
08-12-2011, 07:16 PM
thanks guys. he's made of tough stuff. hopefully they'll wake him up today or tomorrow.

Dan
08-12-2011, 07:32 PM
All The Best To Your Friend,Ash.:(

FORD
08-12-2011, 08:04 PM
I think we need to have mandatory driving tests, once people reach a certain age. I know that borders on fascism, but it would prevent tragedies like this from happening. My grandpa was not happy when we took his car away from him (since he refused to stop driving) but he probably had 5 years added to his life as a result. Not to mention my grandmother's life, and anyone else who might have got in his way.

Now that my dad is 80 years old, I dread the day we have to make that decision again, but it's probably coming. So far, he seems to be doing alright. He's "young" for his age in most respects.

Hope your friend fully recovers, and soon Ash.

lesfunk
08-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I agree that old folks should be tested but it won't prevent tragedies like this from happening. Maybe a couple, but Everybody fucks with motorcycles on the road, not just the elderly. My fellow riders will back me up on this.
Hope your boy is up and putting in no time.
Cheers

SunisinuS
08-12-2011, 08:34 PM
thanks guys. he's made of tough stuff. hopefully they'll wake him up today or tomorrow.

Well having been hurt pretty bad (not as bad as your friend) I say induce my coma until the weekend before I return to work at a desk job. The PT can work under my desk.

Hope you all give him good spirits when he comes to. Tell him we are all rooting for him!

Two highest accident groups that kill: Teenage Drivers and Elderly Drivers. The 2nd only because there are less of them.

Grant
08-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Mate, I'm very sorry to hear this news.

Sending out my prayers and best wishes for him for a sound and speedy recovery.

In the meantime, give us a ring anytime if you need to...

ashstralia
08-12-2011, 10:04 PM
ta g, i'll give you a buzz tonite. i'll definitely be beering. thanks all... they're keeping him asleep for another day or two, another leg op tomorrow. as for the elderly drivers; i know it's a tough call to take someone's right to drive away. the problem is exacerbated by the fact a lot of them drive big 4wd vehicles because of the perceived safety factor... as this lady was.

fifth element
08-13-2011, 01:50 AM

ash.

my best wishes for a speedy recovery for your friend....

and for your spirits, as well. it is hard having someone we care about in pain.

Nitro Express
08-13-2011, 02:06 AM
When I got my motorcycle permit they warned us about elderly drivers. It actually said "When you see blue hair beware!" in the state handbook. LOL! One of our neighbors got killed on his bike last year. He was riding on a mountain road with lots of curves and went into the curve too fast and couldn't hold it. It used to be teens and old people and now it's the damn cell phones. Plus, people just seem loopy anyways.

ashstralia
08-13-2011, 02:26 AM
damn! i ran out of thanks. today i registered on a motorcycle forum i know he frequents, and told those guys what happened. he's going to be inundated with well wishers from all over the world! cool. thanks all so much for making this a bit easier..

Diamondjimi
08-13-2011, 03:40 AM
Wow, this is horrible news, ash!

Strange enough, one of my best friends is named Barney. Almost lost him in a motorcycle accident 10 years ago. He escaped with his life.
It was a long road to recovery. But he's in decent shape considering what he went through.

Wishing you friend a speedy recovery, dude. Hope everything works out good! :baaa:

ashstralia
08-13-2011, 07:07 AM
these coincidences are interesting, jimi. if only we could predict them when gambling!! 'barney' is not his real name obviously.

update:
great news.. they woke him up briefly today; he responded to family and tried to de-tube himself. he's tougher than a two dollar steak, my bro. they're still going to resume the leg repair tomorrow, which will involve putting him to sleep again. this is a very positive development.

Hardrock69
08-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Good to hear! :)

ashstralia
08-13-2011, 09:52 PM
thanks HR. how's your dad doing btw?

Hardrock69
08-14-2011, 03:49 AM
Not so good. Trying to stay positive. But pretty serious. Rather not talk about it at present.

Nitro Express
08-14-2011, 03:53 AM
My mom was a nurse. I couldn't have a motorcycle living under her roof. She had seen too much carnage. What would really piss her off was seeing people riding without helmets. She said she didn't feel so sad for the dumb sorry bastard who got in a wreck without the hemet but the poor person at the hospital who had to spend hours picking gravel out of their face. My mom said she spent hours picking gravel out of some motorcycle dude's face only to have him die on her.

ashstralia
08-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Not so good. Trying to stay positive. But pretty serious. Rather not talk about it at present.

sorry mate, i understand. it's just fucked watching my best mate all banged up in hospital.

ashstralia
08-15-2011, 07:38 PM
quick update; they've finished the leg repair, it's going to recover fully eventually. now they just have to fix his wrist and he can start healing! excellent news.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-15-2011, 07:49 PM
just saw this thread. my condolences and joy for you and your friend sent together. glad he has a great friend to help him out. glad his recovery has a positive outlook, too. peace, love and good happiness stuff. :baaa:

kwame k
08-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Glad everything's looking up, Ash!

Good vibes to Barney!!!!!

ashstralia
08-15-2011, 08:00 PM
thanks PB. and kwame, here's another coincidence.. his avatar on the previously mentioned motorbike forum is......

captain goodvibes!!!!!!! it's a sign!!!!:)

kwame k
08-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Nice!

Blaze
08-15-2011, 08:29 PM
quick update; they've finished the leg repair, it's going to recover fully eventually. now they just have to fix his wrist and he can start healing! excellent news.
Is it his left or right wrist and is he left handed or right handed. That though it may seem small from your perspective will be a big deal when he wakes!
3 Cheers to Captain Goodvibes AKA Barney!

ashstralia
08-15-2011, 08:34 PM
thanks blaze. i know! i had a right hand injury quite a few years ago, all the little things you take for granted are affected. learning to wipe left handed was weird:hee:

i' think it's his right, and he's right handed. d'oh!

Blaze
08-15-2011, 10:16 PM
thanks blaze. i know! i had a right hand injury quite a few years ago, all the little things you take for granted are affected. learning to wipe left handed was weird:hee:

:biggrin: That's going to piss him off when he wakes up! It is funny the things one focuses on after a major physical injury.
You tell him when he wakes up that Blaze said, "We know he has worked really hard to recover thus far however, due to cut backs in allotted injuries, he will have to do the job of two injured people and work twice as hard and produce 4 times as much progress." Give him my apologies and explain we all are having to work extra during these austere times. ;)

ashstralia
08-16-2011, 05:24 AM
:biggrin: That's going to piss him off when he wakes up! It is funny the things one focuses on after a major physical injury.
You tell him when he wakes up that Blaze said, "We know he has worked really hard to recover thus far however, due to cut backs in allotted injuries, he will have to do the job of two injured people and work twice as hard and produce 4 times as much progress." Give him my apologies and explain we all are having to work extra during these austere times. ;)

i will tell him you said that blaze! or rather wait a week or three, and make him read the thread. he's going to be a captive audience. :)

Seshmeister
08-16-2011, 05:38 AM
When I got my motorcycle permit they warned us about elderly drivers. It actually said "When you see blue hair beware!" in the state handbook. LOL! One of our neighbors got killed on his bike last year. He was riding on a mountain road with lots of curves and went into the curve too fast and couldn't hold it. It used to be teens and old people and now it's the damn cell phones. Plus, people just seem loopy anyways.

Another problem is that bikes are far far more powerful than 20 years ago.

You get these guys who rode a bit when they were young and then in their 40s decide to go buy themselves something that is more powerful than a racing bike used to be. Big rise in deaths in that demographic.

I'm not saying that's what happened to Barney but since this is exactly the demographic of this website thought it was worth mentioning...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-04-01/more-middle-aged-men-crashing-bikes-more-often/2633888

More middle-aged men crashing bikes more often

There has been a significant rise in the number of middle-aged men critically injured in bicycle and motorcycle accidents.

The Institute of Health and Welfare has looked at how many drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians were seriously injured in road accidents between 2000 and 2008.

It found the number of men between 45 and 64 with life-threatening injuries increased by 50 per cent, with motorbike riders and cyclists accounting for the largest increase in injuries.

Researcher Geoff Henley says researchers believe the increase is down to increasing numbers of men in the age group riding bikes and motorcycles.

But he says younger people still have the highest injury rate overall.

"We found for both males and females around the 15-24 years age group the rates are highest among these groups in terms of life-threatening injuries," he said.

While the number of road deaths fell during the eight-year period, injuries increased by almost 2 per cent every year, from 26,700 to 32,500.

More than a quarter of the injuries were life-threatening.

ashstralia
08-16-2011, 05:41 AM
also, props vain goodvibe reference post#4:)

ashstralia
08-16-2011, 06:21 AM
definitely agree sesh. over here the bike sellers like to sell the LEARNER OK!!! angle. much more power than even five years ago. but let's face it, anytime you get into any type of conveyance you're a chance of biting the big one.

Grant
08-16-2011, 07:31 AM
That's great news, mate!

Let's hope he gets up n about again in no time. Keep up with the good vibes...and get your arse back into the NRL thread! Finals are almost here, and bunnies are on a roll... :)

Seshmeister
08-16-2011, 08:29 AM
definitely agree sesh. over here the bike sellers like to sell the LEARNER OK!!! angle. much more power than even five years ago. but let's face it, anytime you get into any type of conveyance you're a chance of biting the big one.

Indeed, I'd been nagging my best mate about the dangers of his Suzuki for ages and then I nearly killed both of us in my car. :D

Diamondjimi
08-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Good to hear Barney's on the mend, Ash. (btw Barney is the name my buddy uses as an alias. Syas it came in handy when he used to get stopped by the cops when he was a kid...):biggrin:

Seshmeister
08-16-2011, 08:36 AM
I think we need to start calling Ash Fred. :)

PETE'S BROTHER
08-16-2011, 12:01 PM

fifth element
08-16-2011, 03:25 PM

broke my right arm a few years back....(yes, I'm right handed)

had to learn to write, wipe, and hold my newborn in my left hand/arm.....
never again, please God.

ashstralia
08-17-2011, 05:35 PM
great news. spoke to the man on the phone last night. he was very groggy, but coherent enough to give me his bank details so i can pay some bills for him. he says his $1000 shoei helmet saved his life. he's still got a couple of surgeries to go, hopefully get to see him on the weekend. cheers all.

Seshmeister
08-17-2011, 09:05 PM
great news. spoke to the man on the phone last night. he was very groggy, but coherent enough to give me his bank details so i can pay some bills for him. he says his $1000 shoei helmet saved his life. he's still got a couple of surgeries to go, hopefully get to see him on the weekend. cheers all.

I'm a bit groggy too, just PM'd you some bills... :)

ashstralia
08-17-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm a bit groggy too, just PM'd you some bills... :)

hahaha!!!;)

Dan
08-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Sweet As News.:D

Hardrock69
08-18-2011, 03:25 AM
LOL. Good news! Glad to hear it! :)

ashstralia
08-20-2011, 08:16 PM
had another chat with barns last night... he'll have his laptop today so he'll be back on teh webz... i'll get him to register here.:)

Blaze
08-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Sounds like a plan! I wouldn't expect him to be so bushy-tailed yet, though. :)

ashstralia
08-21-2011, 05:24 AM
blaze, i sent him a text message and asked him to register here, cuntsidering he's going to have a lot of time on his hands i think he'll probably take my suggestion.:)

edit; he did sound surprisingly chirpy. he knows what is ahead, recovery wise, and i honestly don't know anyone who'd cope better than him.

Blaze
08-21-2011, 05:34 AM
Dang two casts. That's going to suck for him. :(

ashstralia
08-25-2011, 11:42 PM
had another chat the other night (wednesday). he's in a very positive frame of mind, and just concentrating on healing quickly enough to get back home. the hospital staff are world class, i believe we have the best healthcare system in the world, thankfully.

FORD
08-26-2011, 12:15 AM

I don't doubt it about the shoei helmet. Those things are damn well built, or at least they were 20 years ago. Haven't kept up with them recently. A friend of mine wiped out in gravel trying to take a curve at 130 mph. He got a steel pin to hold his wrist on, and arthritis at the age of 20 as a result, but it certainly could have been much worse. And that helmet had some deep gouges in it, but it remained intact. As did his head that was inside of it at the time.

kwame k
08-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Great news about Barney, Ash!

Those helmets are world class......when I rode dirt bikes, snowmobiles and street bikes that was my helmet of choice.

ashstralia
09-01-2011, 07:11 AM
barney emailed me some gnarly pics of his leg. he took the pics while they were changing his vacuum dressings. wanna see 'em?:barf:

Grant
09-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Please. :)

ashstralia
09-01-2011, 09:07 AM
hey grant, it's been hectic here bro, for you too i know.
not for the faint of heart...

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff418/davej253/bustleg2.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
the back of his leg?

clarathecarrot
09-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Wishing the best for Barney.

If while he heals he wants to see and little about my wreck he may not but it was important to me to know I wasn't alone in this despair that comes with accidents.

The Motorcycle Thread.
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?52172-Motorcycle

My evident anger thread about what can go wrong.
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?59831-FUKK-MY!!!!-gt-gt-gt-gt-gt-(whattever)-Fukkit

My leg wasn't half as bad as Barney's but I just recently got a letter from my Lawyer that all the hoops I have jumped thru for the state have been regected.

One good thing I hit the ground so hard on my face I broke my nose again, I think the paramedics straighted it it has never been this alighned..lol.

You all must understand that what has happened to Barney is only the tip af the iceberg and he will need help and the compassion of friends and family, to get over these tasks newly arrived.

I am not attempting to turn any eyes away from Barney with this post just to let him know I understand what 5 months of sitting in a bed will do.

These are similair situation our Veterans are going thru. It is more than just a broken leg.

God Bless.

Blaze
09-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Prayers ~`~

VAiN
09-01-2011, 10:22 PM

Fucking shit... That's gonna leave a mark. Glad he'll be OK though... goddamn that looks terrible. :barf:

ashstralia
09-01-2011, 10:57 PM
thanks guys. as i've said, he's in a really positive frame of mind and as a pragmatic kind of dude he knows he's got a journey in front of him to heal. today they're doing a big reconstruction job, the docs are expecting he'll eventually have 75-85% use of the leg. PB; it's actually the front of his right leg, from mid-shin down. if you look at the top of the pic you can just see the base of his little toe.

Hardrock69
09-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Tell him you are going to start calling him Peg-leg :lmao:

Disgusting image. But not as disgusting as having that as his injuries. Glad he is keeping a positive frame of mind. :)

Grant
09-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Mate, I'm really glad he's battling hard through these nasty injuries with a positive outlook. Keeping him in my prayers till he fully recovers...

Seshmeister
09-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Looks like a bit of a sore one.

Best to get in there with the wire brush and DettolŪ™ to prevent any infection.

ashstralia
09-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Looks like a bit of a sore one.

Best to get in there with the wire brush and DettolŪ™ to prevent any infection.

the photo was actually taken after the initial cleanup....:headlights:

PETE'S BROTHER
09-02-2011, 11:15 AM
ah, all below the knee. got it. nasty lookin'

ashstralia
09-05-2011, 06:18 AM
update; the reco job went for nine hours. very successful. barney's happy but in a fair bit of pain, the doctors are happy and putting deposits on supercars and swimming pools.

Grant
09-05-2011, 04:20 PM
:baaa:

So, when's Barney gonna register on the DLR Army? ;)

PETE'S BROTHER
09-05-2011, 07:49 PM
the doctors are happy and putting deposits on supercars and swimming pools.

:biggrin:

gross

:wanker:

standin
09-06-2011, 04:10 AM
Good news! Thanks, Ash! Is he able to walk?

ashstralia
09-06-2011, 06:20 AM
not yet, standin. that'll be a few months at best.

ashstralia
09-21-2011, 09:52 AM
update; he's home! i'm at his place, gonna stay for a week or two till he's more independent. he's able to hobble short distances on crutches. and he's in pharmaceutical heaven.:)

fifth element
09-21-2011, 03:02 PM

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff418/davej253/bustleg2.jpg

DAMN.....wish the best for your friend, ash....that's a hell of a wound

fifth element
09-21-2011, 03:05 PM
he's in pharmaceutical heaven.:)

lol..tell him to enjoy it while he can...the pharmaceutical part, that is.

ashstralia
09-21-2011, 10:58 PM
cheers fifth element, he's in super good spirits and very happy to be home...all the support has been phenomenal.

SunisinuS
09-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Now. I have owned 8 motorcycles. Only put one down. Is this the part where we go....as we stick a needle in his leg.....to get more...as David Lee will tell you...."Situation Awareness" training?

Tell your Mate.....taking a little time will make you a better rider. I wish him the best. And I hope you remember that he used to have to day to day and rent to pay....so all the little funds we set up are for like times like deees.

Good Hunting. Get back on the Horse.

SunisinuS
09-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Sorry one more reference for your mate Ash:

Fucking tough this world when you look around, but better to look around.

:)

ashstralia
11-04-2011, 06:32 AM
hey thanks man. thought i'd make a little update; good ol' barney is hobbling around quite successfully on crutches. those first few weeks out of hospital were rough; physically but probably more mentally... the grafts are healing well, he's in a very positive headspace about all the good things that are to come (incl $$$$$!!!!). the whole ordeal has certainly made our already strong friendship more like a lifelong brotherhood. in short, he's well and truly on the road to full recovery. thanks to everyone who took the time to read and post here, and the well wishers who pm'd. mucho appreciado from both of us. :)

Hardrock69
11-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Kickass! Glad to hear this! We are all (well most of us anyway) glad to hear he is recovering well!

lesfunk
11-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Happy days!

Grant
11-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Great to hear, ash!

PETE'S BROTHER
11-30-2011, 08:00 PM
HEY GRANT!!! happy fuckin' birthday!!!!:birthday::yourock::beers8::jumping004 1::stoned-smiley:

kwame k
11-30-2011, 08:03 PM
x'2 :beers8:

Grant
12-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks dudes! :) It's been a good one this year. Managed to take the rest of the week off work. Whoohoo!!!

Cheers! :beers8: :bottle:

Dan
12-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Get A 6-pack Of XXXX In You.:D

Grant
12-02-2011, 02:16 AM
It's been Guinness, as usual. (6-pack for $20!!! - laughin') :)

Cheers! :gulp:

ashstralia
12-02-2011, 03:19 AM
hey g, happy birthday man!

Seshmeister
12-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Get A 6-pack Of XXXX In You.:D

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. :)

ashstralia
12-02-2011, 08:19 AM
seeing as we're in this thread; barns went for xrays today. the ortho's want him to have 1 more op to tighten the screws on dec 16. then he'll be weight bearing and physio begins!!!! woo fucking hoo!

just between you lot and myself, i think i'll be getting a nice chrissy present this year.:)

Grant
12-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Sweet as, ash. :) Good that Barns doesn't have to wait too long for his next operation (reminder that he's not to take any fish oil capsules from now, that is if he does take them regularly?).

just between you lot and myself, i think i'll be getting a nice chrissy present this year.:)

Now all we need is for Sir John Kerr to come back from the dead to resolve our current national crisis...then Xmas will have come full circle. :baaa:

Cheers! :gulp:

Barney G
01-08-2012, 02:05 AM
Just read this, thanks to y'all.

I definitely attracted the best doctors, they did a great job. I've been riding since I was aged in single digits and have never had the big crash. In this case I had the right of was and the elderly lady just cruised straight through a give way sign and t boned me.

I was conscious the whole way through the crash and the initial treatment and then got put under because of the pain.

I will rie again, but it will come after a lot of things like walking and golf and so on.

I do not hold any great grudge against the lady who did this, she didn't leave her house that morning with the express intent to be be careless and hurt somebody or to deliberately screw my life up, these things just happen.

Barney G

Hardrock69
01-08-2012, 02:55 AM
Been there done that. But in my case, I was in my van, and a lady plowed through a stop sign and smacked the rear end of the van. Spun me around, no injuries, and I got a nice fat check from her insurance company. :D

PETE'S BROTHER
01-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Just read this, thanks to y'all.

I definitely attracted the best doctors, they did a great job. I've been riding since I was aged in single digits and have never had the big crash. In this case I had the right of was and the elderly lady just cruised straight through a give way sign and t boned me.

I was conscious the whole way through the crash and the initial treatment and then got put under because of the pain.

I will rie again, but it will come after a lot of things like walking and golf and so on.

I do not hold any great grudge against the lady who did this, she didn't leave her house that morning with the express intent to be be careless and hurt somebody or to deliberately screw my life up, these things just happen. Barney G

very proud of your positive outlook and understanding :baaa:

Hardrock69
01-08-2012, 04:06 PM
I agree.

Barney G
12-21-2012, 06:47 PM
A victim of positive thinking

Please don't take that too seriously though. When I crashed I had 27 broken bones, right leg effectively crushed, both arms wrists, most of the ribs, neck of femur out of hip and so on.

I also got internal injuries, 2 damaged lungs, problems pissing and generally everything got a good shake up.

18 month later I still can't walk and the lack of circulation from destroyed lower leg arteries mean my tibia is still in pieces and every step I take is in pain.

I drive a computer at work so that is okay, I take shit loads of medication and have 24/7 pain.

My leg will end up in a below knee amputation.

But here's the positive part.

How cool are carbon prosthetics AND I'll be able to walk without sticks.

Otherwise life is fucking perfect.

A big mention to Ash, who is my best mate and a man among men truly. I could waffle on about all he did, like effectively keep me alive and stuff but it would sound like a Whitney Houston song, and she died and I didn't.

Therefore bro - stay Frosty.

ashstralia
12-21-2012, 06:52 PM
it's just nice you're still alive bro...:yo:

now get me a beer and a sammich.(please).:biggrin:

Hardrock69
12-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Lol. Barney, I sincerely hope that you heal in ways better than your wildest dreams.

Some friend.....telling the cripple to get up and walk and get him a beer and a sammich.

With friends like that, who needs enemies? :lmao:

Thanks for the update, mate. Am rooting for you.

:yo:

clarathecarrot
12-21-2012, 09:21 PM
I had this friend many years ago who was a drag stip racer, Yamaha 4 cylinder 600 cc ..and he had his clutch and shifter hydraulically converted into buttons on each side of his handle bars, so he could lay down feet back on the rear axel area of the frame... and shift with his hands.

He made these himself back in the 1970's, am sure there are actuators now and perhaps a kit somewhere so that may help you get your face in the breeze again after you get your golf swing back..lol.

If there isn't a device you should invent it and market it and make a million...you can cut me in on the moneys if you want to ..lol.

Barney G
12-23-2012, 05:08 AM
Lol. Barney, I sincerely hope that you heal in ways better than your wildest dreams.

Some friend.....telling the cripple to get up and walk and get him a beer and a sammich.

With friends like that, who needs enemies? :lmao:

Thanks for the update, mate. Am rooting for you.

:yo:

Thanks for the call out, appreciate it, I've got the beer and sandwich covered though.

Hang on, I'll just get my helper monkey onto it.

Oh, that's you Ash....

Also Clara, all I need is a rear brake activated by my left hand instead of my right foot. There was this other Australian chap who got that covered by the name of Doohan.

clarathecarrot
12-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Also Clara, all I need is a rear brake activated by my left hand instead of my right foot. There was this other Australian chap who got that covered by the name of Doohan.

My bad , I thought your left leg was the one that took the most impact...?

I should re-read the original thread by Ash..but ?? why, research when I can just throw wild ideas around....lol.

cadaverdog
12-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Too bad about your accident Barney. I'm a motorcyclist too and while it's true some cage drivers don't pay enough attention to motorcyclists sometimes it's just an accident, a moment of inattention that causes accidents. I've cut of bikes I didn't see and I'm pretty careful because I ride myself. Any accident on a bike will likely cause some injury but that's the chance you take when you ride.
How were somewhat lucky you lost your leg below the knee instead of above. One of my friends lost his leg in a motorcycle accident. (His own fault he made a U turn without signalling at all and the car behind him thought he was turning right when he started going right and started around him. When he leaned it the left he got broad sided.) Because it was below the knee he adapted quickly. My roomate lost his above the knee due to a spider bite and he's still struggling to walk without a walker.

cadaverdog
12-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the call out, appreciate it, I've got the beer and sandwich covered though.

Hang on, I'll just get my helper monkey onto it.

Oh, that's you Ash....

My biker buddy who lost his leg opted for a three wheeler.