PDA

View Full Version : Does the Cover of Rolling Stone Mean Anything Anymore?

Unchainme
08-18-2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6870651/does-cover-rolling-stone-mean-anything-anymore

There is no longer a traditional monetization model for bands, so it feels like we have reached a point where consumers don't hold it against bands for participating in sponsored promotions. In the past, we could say that the Sheepdogs have 'sold out' and dishonored the spirit of organic rock 'n' roll. Now we rationalize that bands are trying to maximize their income during their window of relevancy, no matter how absurd their involvement with a silly contest or mass-market shampoo might be. We are 'at peace' with the fact that catchy new music is created to be the background music in commercials for Fortune 500 companies.

I thought this was a very good piece reflecting the non-organic feel a lot of music out there has at the moment. Be it Hip-Hop, Rock or even country, it all feels very calculated and a means for profits over say the actual enjoyment of the listener.

and it's not mean't to whine, and no, I'm not no commie. I'm quite the opposite, but I do feel there's a time and place for capitalism in the marketplace, and when it comes to things like the Arts it really shouldn't be there.

I mean yeah, if you're say in a popular band like what Van Halen was, or Led Zep. was, and you're making money off of DVD, CD, merchandise, touring, radio play and the like that's cool with me. But what music should be put out there for the general public shouldn't be decided by some suit in LA/NYC, be it at a record label, MTV or the guy who runs every radio station in the country. It shouldn't be decided by focus groups or by "what's hot", it should be by whatever the consumer feels they enjoy. Let us, or some random DJ out in tunafish, wyoming decide what should be played. Not some asshat with an MBA from Michigan.

I say this as a man who's tired of having to witness mediocrity everyday in the music scene out there. It would just be nice to have some kind of group (I don't care the genre at this point) deliver us from the mediocrity that we as a people have been stuck with for what seems to have been the longest time.

FORD
08-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Here's a recent issue of Rolling Stone which plainly shows two reasons why it ain't the magazine it once was......

http://sickmadesisters.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/141061_inside-the-pages-snookis-rolling-stone-rocket-ride.jpg

They do still have the occasional great article though. I'm talking the Matt Taibbi stuff, not anything to do with washed up eMpTyV "reality" shows, or tequila salesmen.

Unchainme
08-18-2011, 02:36 PM
I enjoyed their political stuff on occasion.

Don't always agree with them and feel they are bias. HOWEVER, their recent piece on Bachmann was amazing. It really helped me cement my feelings on her as a candidate (she should be nowhere near the oval office, not even on a tour).

Jagermeister
08-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Here's a recent issue of Rolling Stone which plainly shows two reasons why it ain't the magazine it once was......

http://sickmadesisters.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/141061_inside-the-pages-snookis-rolling-stone-rocket-ride.jpg

They do still have the occasional great article though. I'm talking the Matt Taibbi stuff, not anything to do with washed up eMpTyV "reality" shows, or tequila salesmen.

http://www.artoftravelling.com/index_bestanden/giant_rolleyes.gif

That guy writes pure bull fucking shit. I can't even begin to describe how much I hate that guy. Pure retoric is all he spews. In fact that's all that magazine spews. It fucking sucks!

You are all a bunch of mindless zombies if you take that shit he writes as the truth. It's half truth at best mixed in with a bunch of well thought out adjectives that leaves me wondering why the fuck I just wasted time reading it. He doesn't care if it's accurate or not as long as he gets to bash the right. Pure and simple. He can't be objective about anything at all because he is such a fucking scum bag.

hambon4lif
08-18-2011, 02:47 PM
They do still have the occasional great article though. I'm talking the Matt Taibbi stuff, not anything to do with washed up eMpTyV "reality" shows, or tequila salesmen.Taibbi wrote an article called "Why Isn't Wall Street In Jail?" that was worthy of a Pulitzer, and he wasted it by giving to these lame fucks.....

In the world of music, they're completely fucking irrelevant. Every issue is yet another stupid list that means jack-fuck to anyone.

And worst of all, the new paper they're using isn't as good at de-seeding my dope as the old paper.

FUCK ROLLING STONE!!:dafinger:FUCK THEM ALL TO HELL!!!!

Jagermeister
08-18-2011, 02:52 PM
I enjoyed their political stuff on occasion.

Don't always agree with them and feel they are bias. HOWEVER, their recent piece on Bachmann was amazing. It really helped me cement my feelings on her as a candidate (she should be nowhere near the oval office, not even on a tour).

Please go read this. And hambone is kinda right. That article was actually not bad but it also had many half truths in it. That's the problem with this guy. When I read that shit I find my self constantly having to try to decide what's bull shit and what's not. I don't even read them anymore. I look at the back I quickly run through the articles and I throw them in the trash. I canceld my subcription and they keep sending the damn shit to me.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?62917-Barack-Obama-is-a-chump/page2&highlight=Matt+Taibbi

FORD
08-18-2011, 03:59 PM
That guy writes pure bull fucking shit. I can't even begin to describe how much I hate that guy. Pure retoric is all he spews. In fact that's all that magazine spews. It fucking sucks!

You are all a bunch of mindless zombies if you take that shit he writes as the truth. It's half truth at best mixed in with a bunch of well thought out adjectives that leaves me wondering why the fuck I just wasted time reading it. He doesn't care if it's accurate or not as long as he gets to bash the right. Pure and simple. He can't be objective about anything at all because he is such a fucking scum bag.

You're talking about Hagar, right?

Jagermeister
08-18-2011, 04:17 PM
You're talking about Hagar, right?

I can see how you would think that now that I read it again. :biggrin:

jhale667
08-18-2011, 04:43 PM

Gee, if you can't spell it correctly, are you really qualified to accuse someone of spewing it? :hee:

Takes one to know one, huh?
Oh, the irony of this statement coming from an avowed racist (by definition a mindless zombie yourself) who can never resist the urge to spew his own misguided personal sentiments in debates and constantly bashes the left and the POTUS at every available opportunity..

Jagermeister
08-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Gee, if you can't spell it correctly, are you really qualified to accuse someone of spewing it? :hee:

Takes one to know one, huh?
Oh, the irony of this statement coming from an avowed racist (by definition a mindless zombie yourself) who can never resist the urge to spew his own misguided personal sentiments in debates and constantly bashes the left and the POTUS at every available opportunity..

Man I was starting to think I was losing my abilty to predict your reply's. Nope still got it..

PETE'S BROTHER
08-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Man I was starting to think I was losing my abilty to predict your reply's. Nope still got it..

you should try to pre-post one.

Jagermeister
08-18-2011, 05:16 PM
you should try to pre-post one.

I almost did. Nailed the zombie part and the spelling part.:biggrin:

DLR Bridge
08-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Taibbi is bullshit? Yeah, and Hagar is the second coming of Jim Morrison. Come on now. Matt calls true shit heads out on their bullshit. I think he does his homework well.

Blaze
08-18-2011, 09:17 PM
No comment