PDA

View Full Version : Winmx is it the best program?

thefive
06-13-2004, 04:04 AM
Is winmx the best program to get music and programs? I forgot what catagory winmx, napster and kazaar are called. I will trade with people on the mirc program.

thefive
06-13-2004, 07:42 AM
I need some help here.

FORD
06-13-2004, 09:23 AM
WinMX definitely is the best program of that type. There's no spyware (unlike Kaaza) and at least a while back, WinMX had access to a lot of good bootleg material, like Napster did back in the day. Unfortunately, the RIAA fascism has really slowed down the whole thing, and last time I tried using it, downloads were a joke.

A better alternative might be to use a bit torrent client. There are sites that torrent MP3's if you really want to stick with them, or you can move up to lossless audio formats at sites like www.sharingthegroove.org

Most of those sites are strictly bootleg material though, so don't expect to find any commercially released stuff on there.

Lou
06-13-2004, 09:38 AM
If you want to hear commercial songs, WinMX all the way.

For bootlegs...well let's just say I hate mp3 as much as FORD hates Bush.

thefive
06-13-2004, 01:31 PM
What about programs like adobe photoshop, corel draw 11, dvd burning software etc? What is the best program for that? winmx?????

Thanks guys for the help.

FORD
06-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by thefive
What about programs like adobe photoshop, corel draw 11, dvd burning software etc? What is the best program for that? winmx?????

Thanks guys for the help.

There are bit torrent sites out there that have software downloads as well. Once you have your BT client installed (I recommend Bit Tornado (http://www.bittornado.com) ) you should go to http://members.chello.nl/~p.wiersema/list.html where you will find links to several torrent sites.

Viking
06-13-2004, 04:04 PM
I've never had much good luck with WinMX. I've stuck to Kazaa. I still can find a few good downloads with iMesh from time to time, but the iMesh user population has really decreased in the last year or so.

thefive
06-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Viking
I've never had much good luck with WinMX. I've stuck to Kazaa. I still can find a few good downloads with iMesh from time to time, but the iMesh user population has really decreased in the last year or so.

Viking what do you mainly download?

Panamark
06-14-2004, 09:29 AM
kazaa lite... At your own risk...

Big Troubles
06-14-2004, 09:30 AM
Lots of spam and virus with Kazaa lite. I prefer WinMx. Not alot of sharing going on, but just be patient and let them download over night.

Coyote
06-14-2004, 01:50 PM
DC++ 'n' WinMX for me.

DC is a hub-based P2P program, in which the users are more open-minded, sharing wise. Especially the European hubs. (And there's a =VH= hub, too. 5 Gb minimum share, though.) Although the rule of thumb is the more you share, the more you get.

thefive
06-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
DC++ 'n' WinMX for me.

DC is a hub-based P2P program, in which the users are more open-minded, sharing wise. Especially the European hubs. (And there's a =VH= hub, too. 5 Gb minimum share, though.) Although the rule of thumb is the more you share, the more you get.

Very interesting about DC. Can you get graphic programs like adobe photoshop and others?

Ally_Kat
06-14-2004, 02:19 PM
you know, you can download a free 30 day trial of photoshop from the Adobe site.

Coyote
06-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by thefive
Very interesting about DC. Can you get graphic programs like adobe photoshop and others?

Anything you can think of. From albums to programs.:cool:

DiamondDoug
06-16-2004, 08:10 PM
I never had ANY luck with WinMx. I'd find some rare stuff I wanted, but then I would have to wait in a queue of 60 people, half of which had dial-up, and I'd never even get my turn in line.

YankeeRose
06-18-2004, 10:38 PM
WinMX is the best. You can set your search options to not show any connections that are 56K or less. The que limit is adjustable. You can set it to close the program, or shutdown the entire computer when the downloads are done. You can get audio, video, photos and more...

Give it a try....it's versitile and easy...