PDA

View Full Version : An apology to Chris Brown

Seshmeister
08-21-2011, 03:51 PM
<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/TOjUKwoHUyw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/TOjUKwoHUyw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Wow something good on Fox News...

Unchainme
08-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Red Eye is some good shit.

Greg Gutfield is pretty funny and very smart. Seems too good to be on Fox News.

Hard to explain what it's like..kinda like "Real Time" with Bill Maher, except..Gutfield is a shit ton more likeable.

Diamondjimi
08-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Nice ownage!

binnie
08-21-2011, 05:47 PM
I'd hit Rihanna.

Just sayin'..........

binnie
08-21-2011, 05:58 PM
The problem with Chris Brown is that he seems remarkably unrepentant...............

chefcraig
08-21-2011, 06:01 PM
The problem with Chris Brown is that he seems remarkably untalented...

Fixed that for ya, bin. :baaa:

binnie
08-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Well, that too. :D

Unchainme
08-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I'd hit Rihanna.

Just sayin'..........

Rihanna can't sing a lick.

In comparision to her contemporary Beyounce who has some talent in the field (and is wasting it on singing shitty pop songs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8FHwsATN0E

How people like Rihanna make it in the music industry is beyound me. She's only "meh" on the level of attractiveness as well.

Chris Brown is pretty much Usher without the talent.

binnie
08-21-2011, 06:31 PM
I couldn't give a shit about her music, to be honest. But then, it's not aimed at me or you is it?

That kind of music is there so people can dance around in a club. Nothing more, nothing less.

Expecting it to be anything else is like asking Die Hard to be Citizen Kane - they're both films, but one is a pure piece of entertainment and the other is art.

binnie
08-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Chris Brown is pretty much Usher without the talent.

That's pretty much spot on.

Unchainme
08-21-2011, 07:13 PM
I couldn't give a shit about her music, to be honest. But then, it's not aimed at me or you is it?

That kind of music is there so people can dance around in a club. Nothing more, nothing less.

Expecting it to be anything else is like asking Die Hard to be Citizen Kane - they're both films, but one is a pure piece of entertainment and the other is art.

"Hans...bubby....I'm your white knight!"

I don't even consider it "Good" club music. I mean, my brother is a "techno/dance" music snob and looks down upon it from a technical standpoint.

No, Rihanna isn't even in the same league of Die Hard, it's more like the shitty remake of a decent movie that somehow is being pushed with someone like Russell Brand as the main protagonist in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Vx_NNAu84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rik7xV7Tj4

binnie
08-21-2011, 07:30 PM
You know what I mean, though: asking for depth from that kind of music is asking it to do something it's not trying to do.

It's music for people who don't really care about music to dance around to, not a comment on the human condition.

A lot of people like music in a very disposable manner, which is fine. It reminds me of the conversations/arguments I used to have with people at school when I tried to get them into Pantera: 'you can't dance to this'. As though that's what they were trying to do? It used to really piss me off, but these days I get that people like lots of different types of music for lots of different reasons (it comes from working in a record store and being baffled at the rise of Coldplay.....) So now when I turn on MTV and react with 'this just doesn't move me in any way' I understand that it's not trying to - it's just a trend for someone to latch on to.

It is baffling, though. If someone has a penchant for R'N'B, why not Alicia Keys over Rihanna? Why not the old Motown records, which were essentially pop songs, but pop songs from real experiences? Who knows.....

Unchainme
08-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Can I insert this here for a rant?

In terms of overrating pop stars this day, one recently that's gotten on my nerves is a recent girl by the name of Adele hailing out of England, that's pretty much like the more bland and vanilla version of Amy Winehouse. Suddenly I am hearing ever critic under the sun hype her up as some really great innovative new thing, a "breathe of fresh air", how it's great she's holding the top spot on the charts over all the "Club hit" artists out there.

I don't see it. I just don't. The music doesn't move me in one way or the other, it doesn't sound fresh to me, it sounds like every other sort of "Maroon 5" like adult contemporary that gets shoved down my throat while I'm waiting for a song to come on one of the Mix stations that maybe a fun 80's pop song. Tired, dull lifeless music that's pretty much designed to be played in the dentist office while you're looking over old sports illustrateds to keep yourself distracted from the tutorials running on the one damn tv in the office.

But to continue on with point, she's fucking boring as hell, and I don't understand the push on her.

binnie
08-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Man, I think you're missing something with Adelle (although I can sort of see where you're going with the 'toned down Amy Winehouse' analogy).

Although it's not the sort of music that I would choose to listen to, I don't think we can equate her with the Maroon 5's and Colplays of this world. There is some real soul to her voice, and those songs come from somewhere inside her. She writes those tunes, she's not given them by some record label. It sort of reminds me of the first Nora Jones album - not my thing at all, but I'd never equate it with the soulless crap that usually clogs up the charts. Neither of those artists are edgy or dangerous (nor are they trying to be), but at their best they do channel some considerable emotions (and I'd also say that some of the arrangements in those Adelle tunes are cleverly done).

It's interesting you bring her up though because I was thinking about this thread today and musing on how Adele might be the one recent artist to top the charts that isn't some record company creation......weird how we can have such different reactions.

Seshmeister
08-24-2011, 07:41 PM

I don't like the analogy because Die Hard is a perfect film of it's genre, a classic.

She's more like Die Hard 4.

lesfunk
08-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Has anyone considered that maybe she deserved the beatings?
People today are so quick assume that women don't ever need discipline...

kwame k
08-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Has anyone considered that maybe she deserved the beatings?
People today are so quick assume that women don't ever need discipline...

Kinda like when a women goes out scantly clad and then has the nerve to yell Rape!:headlights:

lesfunk
08-24-2011, 09:04 PM
well...If she's not being raped she shouldn't yell it. They're all asking for it anyways! Turn 'em upside down and play 'em like a harmonica!

chefcraig
08-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Turn 'em upside down and play 'em like a harmonica!

Just not while you are driving. Seriously, trust me on this. :ashamed:

chefcraig
08-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Turn 'em upside down and play 'em like a harmonica!

Just not while you are driving. Seriously, trust me on this. :ashamed:

kwame k
08-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Don't leave us hanging, bro!!!!!!!

I gotta hear this story.......:popc1:

Unchainme
08-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Although it's not the sort of music that I would choose to listen to, I don't think we can equate her with the Maroon 5's and Colplays of this world. There is some real soul to her voice, and those songs come from somewhere inside her. She writes those tunes, she's not given them by some record label. It sort of reminds me of the first Nora Jones album - not my thing at all, but I'd never equate it with the soulless crap that usually clogs up the charts. Neither of those artists are edgy or dangerous (nor are they trying to be), but at their best they do channel some considerable emotions (and I'd also say that some of the arrangements in those Adelle tunes are cleverly done).

I don't feel it. Perhaps what was soured on me were the facts that her song was overplayed during the NBA Draft last June. The song was dreary and sucked away any kind of emotion to the event. Comes off as whiny and not genuine to me.

That and claiming influence from the spice girls kinda made me want to puke.

Now on the other hand, I am digging this one song that has been starting to finally chart here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ldsF65cLM

binnie
08-25-2011, 04:37 AM
I don't like the analogy because Die Hard is a perfect film of it's genre, a classic.

She's more like Die Hard 4.

My point isn't that Die Hard is a 'bad' film, but rather that it is then purely to entertain - a popcorn film, if you will. And it's a very thrilling one.

Consequently, criticising it for a lack of depth is misplaced, because it's not trying to comment on the human condition in way that The Killing Fields, Citizen Kane, or a many other films are. In the same way that it's not really fair to criticize Ussher for not being Pink Floyd. He's making music to make people dance to - nothing more, nothing less.

Unchainme
08-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Back to the subject at hand..

Chris Brown apparently just danced to a Nirvana song on the VMA's.

It's kind of disgusting to me in a way, I despise Rihanna, I feel that she's an overrated "Talent", and doesn't have much of a voice. However, what he did to her was disgusting and despicable, and inexcusable.

For him to be covering a song by a man that was quite on the side of "Feminism" and was very much against stuff like homophobia, kind of just boggles my mind.

Don't get me wrong, again, I've gone on record saying that Nirvana was the most overrated band of the grunge period, and Soundgarden and Alice In Chains are quite superior to Nirvana.

It's just disapointing to me that these group of idiots don't seem to have some semblance of respect for other peoples work.

Shaun Ponsonby
09-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Wow something good on Fox News...

There's a lot of good things on Fox News. Nothing thats good for the right reasons, but 5 minutes of Glenn Beck always sends me into fits of laughter. He's even better then Peter Finch in Network.