PDA

View Full Version : Ridley Scott to Direct Another 'Blade Runner' -- It Won't Be a Remake (Updated)

Hardrock69
08-22-2011, 02:37 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/18/idUS328171483020110818

By Joshua L. Weinstein at TheWrap
Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:58am EDT
Updated 12:30 p.m. PT Thursday

Ridley Scott is returning to his roots, revisiting his definitive -- and beloved -- cyberpunk film "Blade Runner," for Alcon Entertainment.

Filmmakers haven't hired a writer yet, and are still figuring out what the story will be, producer Andrew Kosove told TheWrap Thursday.

"This is arguably the greatest science fiction movie ever made and we're not remaking it," he said. "It's a prequel or a sequel."

Alcon secured the rights to "Blade Runner" for prequels, sequels and other projects last March.

They knew then that they wanted Scott to direct.

"I'm not saying we wouldn't have come up with a Plan B," Kosove, Alcon's co-founder and co-CEO, said. "But the idea was always to go right to Ridley and that's exactly what we did."

Having Scott attached "gives people a level of comfort about how serious we are," Kosove said.

Kosove said the movie's themes "are even more relevant today than they were almost 30 eyars ago."

The 1982 movie is about Rick Deckard, a "blade runner" played by Harrison Ford. His job is to terminate "replicants," or human clones who are bred to work.

"No one could have envisioned from a technical standpoint how quickly the world would advance over the last three decades," Kosove said. "The question is, 'What does it mean to be human? What does it mean to have humanity? ... Both as a philosophical matter and also as a narrative matter, there are lots of jumping-off points from 'Bladerunner' to make something that is inspired by 'Bladerunner.'"

Kosove said it'll be up to Scott to decide whether to invite Ford to return, but "I do not anticipate it."

He said he'd like to have the movie in production in a year-and-a-half.

"There will be one more announcement we will make before we go dark for a while," he said. "We have to figure out who the writer is going to be and a general framework for the movie."

Alcon bought the rights from producer-director Bud Yorkin, who will produce the new film along with Alcon, Cynthia Sikes Yorkin and Broderick Johnson and Kosove. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, the CEOs of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.

Meanwhile, Scott is in postproduction on "Prometheus," a sort-of prequel to his classic 1979 "Alien," for Fox.

lesfunk
08-22-2011, 03:04 AM
They never learn...

Seshmeister
08-22-2011, 05:56 AM
There's a chance this could be good, at least it's not another dumb remake.

kwame k
08-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Hollywood is really out of ideas..........

chefcraig
08-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Hollywood is really out of ideas..........

The only surprise here is that the film isn't in 3-D or some form of Japanese animation. Then again, it could be a musical...

And did anyone else happen to notice that a remake of Fright Night came out the other day? I guess The Lost Boys will be next.

kwame k
08-22-2011, 01:48 PM
I guess The Lost Boys will be next.

I bet Corey Feldman's available:biggrin:

jhale667
08-22-2011, 02:07 PM
There's a chance this could be good, at least it's not another dumb remake.

I don't really see a point to a prequel, but it might be interesting to see what Harrison Ford and Sean Young's characters are up to a couple of decades after the end of the first movie....

Seshmeister
08-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Ford is getting kind of old, I would guess it will be a prequel.

clarathecarrot
08-22-2011, 06:06 PM
I can see it now ( points at head, loads, as I sit here, pistol with bullet, ahh,,, what the fuck, takes the time to load black powder Blunderbuss, more visually stunning damage, what with all the nails, glass, rocks and general scrap metal those things will hold)... the visually stunning, in depth, artfully designed hand made sets, excellently scripted, scifi movie.. destroyed, by a shitload of modern day CGI fuzzy GeenScreened CRAP!!

I bet they remake the same script and don't even try to write anything new and interesting . The only interesting storyline would be all of Hauers characters short life of servitude as a military created, killing device, up till the point of his realization that he had no soul..and trip back to earth. Drop in a few old sceens fro original and.........................................CUT! fheww!!...wipes brow... sais to new break out star Daffy Duck, what's at craft services Doc..? I'm starving...

Yes, I know the only reason this is bieng made is it would make perhaps a excellent first person shooter video game that is where the money is. I'd buy that.

P.S. Don't worry, I don't own one of those pistol things I just wanted to CGI this shit up.:biggrin:

P.S.S. Rutger Hauers performance in that movie is one of my all time favorites.

P.P.S.S. DUCK DOGERS AN THE 25th CENTURY BLADE RUNNER CARTOON!!!!

Terry
08-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Scott's Blade Runner is such an excellent film...I mean, in some ways it is like CVH in that they are both bulletproof to the point where nothing done under the Van Halen name since 1985 has diminished what CVH did. The same would apply for a Blade Runner sequel or prequel (if anyone tries to remake Blade Runner, Scott included, they can go fuck right the fuck off).

Don't think Harrison Ford or Sean Young HAVE to be in any hypothetical future installment for it to be interesting...it WOULD behoove the producers of said prequel/sequel to have Scott's involvement behind the camera...and spend PLENTY of fucking time developing a good story before a single frame of film is shot.

He's had a couple of duds here and there, but Ridley Scott has been a consistently excellent director for 3 decades now...as long as they keep his hack brother Tony as far away from the production as possible, there's every chance it would be worth seeing...I mean, considering the fact that the cineplexes are being deluged with shit like The Smurfs and fucking Glee movies, it'd be worth seeing a Blade Runner flick; even if it doesn't end up being as good as Scott's 1982 film, a noble failure would be miles above some typical Hollywood gayness starring Jennifer Aniston, Adam Sandler, Kevin James or the latest Michael Bay "extravaganza".

Seshmeister
08-29-2011, 07:56 AM
It just occurred to me so I double checked and the extremely scary thing is that Blade Runner was set in 2019 so a prequel would need to be set in the present.

Hardrock69
08-30-2011, 02:24 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

You know what that means, dontcha? Means they can shoot the film cheaper! If it is in the present, they do not have to do much in the way of CGI cityscapes and shit like that.

Not only that, if they REALLY wanna make it a cheaper shoot, they must do it in L.A.

Seshmeister
09-04-2011, 07:03 AM
<object width="640" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/1ZVW8Zn5fSM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/1ZVW8Zn5fSM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

POJO_Risin
09-04-2011, 08:27 AM
It just occurred to me so I double checked and the extremely scary thing is that Blade Runner was set in 2019 so a prequel would need to be set in the present.

That's hilarious...it was the first thing that I thought of when I saw the possibility of a prequel. Let's be honest...Hollywood couldn't have created a world this fucked up in 1982.