PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake In Baltimore Md.

mh5150
08-23-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm from Baltimore Md. WE JUST HAD AN EARTHQUAKE

chefcraig
08-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Didn't you folks have one last summer about this time? I had relatives in NJ telling me about it. Hope everyone there is OK.

Jagermeister
08-23-2011, 02:05 PM
It's breaking news. How bad was it?

And is the President ok? :biggrin:

Satan
08-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Thom Hartman - who broadcasts from Washington DC these days- was on the air when it happened. Apparently they were even feeling this one up in New York.

They're now calling it a 6.0 and saying the epicenter was Charlottesville VA.

mh5150
08-23-2011, 02:09 PM
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/

5.8 EARHTQUAKE HOUSE SHAKING 3 SECONDS SHIT FALLING OFF SHELVES

Jagermeister
08-23-2011, 02:12 PM
CNN has 5.8 also. That's a biggin.

Jagermeister
08-23-2011, 02:12 PM
An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.8 struck near Washington, D.C., the U.S.Geological Survey said.

The epicenter was in Virginia. The U.S.G.S is saying that

The quake was felt in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, New York, and on Martha's Vineyard where President Barack Obama is vacationing. Cell phone service has been disrupted in New York City where parts of Manhattan have been evacuated.

"Everybody was told to take the stairs," Wolf Blitzer said, speaking live at 2 p.m. E.T. from CNN's D.C. bureau.

The Pentagon has been evacuated, CNN's Barbara Starr reports. "When the building began shaking rather violently, hundreds of people began streaming out," she said, because many people thought that the building was under attack. Starr was standing in the Pentagon's press office when the roof started to shake.

Jagermeister
08-23-2011, 02:13 PM
edit...

mh5150
08-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Is this just beginning????????????/

Jagermeister
08-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Is this just beginning????????????/

lol. Calm down bro. You are to far inland for the tsunami to get ya. Omaba not so much. :biggrin:

mh5150
08-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Living with the aftershock

Jagermeister
08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
News is a little slow comin out for some reason. Everyone must be in Libya.

Twitter traffic suggests the quake was felt all over the east coast.

In Philadelphia, HunterPence3 tweeted, "Wow Earthquake just shook the entire locker room!"

In Cleveland, "tribeinsider" wrote "I'm no expert but i think we just had an earthquake here."

And even in Toronto, tweets said that the shaking could be felt for minutes

Little Texan
08-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Besides, I don't think a 5.8 is going to create that big of a tsunami, nohow.

chefcraig
08-23-2011, 02:25 PM
lol. Calm down bro. You are to far inland for the tsunami to get ya. . :biggrin:

Not if you believe the movies on the Sy-Fy channel. Just be glad there are no giant raptors running about.

Satan
08-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Earthquakes used to be a rarity on the East coast, but not so much anymore. Wonder why that is?

Might have something to do with that ridiculous "fracking" process they use to get natural gas out of the ground.

Satan
08-23-2011, 02:27 PM
News is a little slow comin out for some reason. Everyone must be in Libya.

Or maybe the fact that all the chickenshits evacuated their studios?

Jagermeister
08-23-2011, 02:27 PM

I was joking about the tsunami. :biggrin:

CNN is saying no injuries or damage reported. That's good.

jhale667
08-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Not if you believe the movies on the Sy-Fy channel. Just be glad there are no giant raptors running about.

Might wake up MegaShark and Crocosaurus....:hee:

hambon4lif
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
The latest word is that it was caused by a stampede of people at a Virginia Wal-Mart mumbling something about "the single"...whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

This is Ed's fault.

twonabomber
08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
seeing all kinds of reports that the quake was felt here but i didn't notice it. i was still on the shop floor at that time, not sure i'd feel it though the slab we're on.

Carloscda
08-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Hear in Philly the house was shaking I thought it was the wind till I seen my lights swaying back & forth!!

Cell & Landlines are still jammed, I will be purchasing some satellite phones for the family cause this is crazy!!

Satan
08-23-2011, 03:05 PM
seeing all kinds of reports that the quake was felt here but i didn't notice it. i was still on the shop floor at that time, not sure i'd feel it though the slab we're on.

I've read reports on other boards from Columbus and Cincinatti. Maybe it skipped Cleveland, though that's not likely if they felt it in Toronto, too.

For a quake to be felt in that wide of an area, the origin must have been pretty deep. I'm actually surprised it didn't rattle the ceiling here in Hell!

VAiN
08-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Might wake up MegaShark and Crocosaurus....:hee:

The Woolly Sharktopus!

http://ijustwanttofitin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/sharktopus1.png

PETE'S BROTHER
08-23-2011, 03:12 PM
The Woolly Sharktopus!

you leave lefty outta this. she may be with gas, again.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-23-2011, 03:20 PM
The latest word is that it was caused by a stampede of people at a Virginia Wal-Mart mumbling something about "the single"...whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

This is Ed's fault.

That was me, sorry.... ;)

That was pretty nuts, house shook for about 30 seconds....

And I've read reports all the way from Atlanta to Toronto....

PETE'S BROTHER
08-23-2011, 03:21 PM
glad you're ok

Jagermeister
08-23-2011, 03:36 PM
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/23/quake-hits-near-washington-d-c/

Update 3:28 p.m. ET: The White House and adjacent buildings evacuated as a precaution following the earthquake have been given the all-clear, the U.S. Secret Service said. The FBI and Justice Department have also reopened evacuated buildings.

Update 3:25 p.m. ET: East Coast residents should be prepared to feel aftershocks from Tuesday's earthquake, a U.S. Geological Survey official said.

Update 3:22 p.m. ET: The North Anna nuclear power plant, which located closest to the epicenter of Tuesday's earthquake in Virginia, is shut down and in a safe condition, a company official and the Louisa County public information office report. There has been no release of nuclear material, Louisa County spokeswoman Amanda Reidelbach said.

Update 3:04 p.m. ET: All national monuments and parks in Washington are "stable but closed" following Tuesday's earthquake, a United States Park Police spokesman Sgt. David Schlosser said. A couple of minor injuries and some minor structural damage have been reported in Washington, following Tuesday's earthquake, according to Schlosser.

Part of the central tower of the National Cathedral, the highest point in Washington, D.C., was damaged, according to spokesman Richard Weinberg. "It looks like three of the pinnacles have broken off the central tower," Weinberg told CNN.

Update 3:02 p.m. ET: Amtrak is reporting service disruptions between Washington and Baltimore because of the earthquake, the company reported on Twitter.

Aftershocks are a concern, U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones told CNN. "People should be expecting (them), especially over the next hour or two," she said.

The quake was felt in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; New York City and on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, where President Barack Obama is vacationing. It's unknown if the president felt the quake.

The Pentagon has been evacuated, CNN's Barbara Starr reports. "When the building began shaking rather violently, hundreds of people began streaming out," she said, because many people thought that the building was under attack. Starr was standing in the Pentagon's press office when the roof started to shake.

Cell phone service has been disrupted in New York City, CNN learned within minutes of the quake.

Updated 2:47 p.m. ET: A "considerable amount" of water from a water pipe has flooded two corridors of the Pentagon, according to an announcement in the building. People who work in those areas are being asked to stay in their offices while workers try to repair the damage.

The National Cathedral in Washington is damaged, CNN has confirmed.

And Dominion Generation, which operates the North Anna nuclear power station in central Virginia a few miles from the epicenter of the earthquake, is trying to reach operational staff at the plant, according to a company spokesman. Landlines to the plant appear to be down.

Shortly after the quake struck, traders in the New York Stock Exchange also felt the quake and shouted to each other, "Keep trading!" CNN's business correspondent Alison Kosik reported from the floor at 2:20 p.m. E.T.

Twitter traffic suggests the quake was felt all over the East Coast.

In Philadelphia, HunterPence3 tweeted, "Wow Earthquake just shook the entire locker room!"

In Cleveland, "tribeinsider" wrote "I'm no expert but i think we just had an earthquake here."

And even in Toronto, Canada, tweets said that the shaking could be felt for minutes.

Pete Krech, who works at a business in Fredericksburg, Virginia, likened the sensation to being on a jolting amusement ride. "I was receiving a supply truck," said Krech, store manager at Mattress Warehouse of Fredericksburg, south of Washington. "I felt a vibration under my feet."

Brendan Wein, a sales representative at Hoffman Nursery in Roxboro, North Carolina, said he thought there was a helicopter flying above his work building. "I was literally shaking in my chair," he said.

CNN iReporter Jeff Yapalater said he was in his backyard in New York's Long Island when the earthquake hit. "Suddenly I felt this light swaying of the Earth. I'd never felt that before, so I thought maybe I was experiencing vertigo for a moment, and it lasted maybe 30 seconds ... We're feeling this really far away!" he wrote.

VanHalener
08-23-2011, 04:16 PM
That quake was lean, mean, big and bad, Lord
Pointing that shaking at me.

The noise I heard growing louder and louder as I worked in my garage seemed to just be another jumbo jet approaching Dulles Airport to land. When the house first began to shake I thought a nuke hit D.C. only 22 miles away. When I realized it was a quake I went for my record player.

The fucking scratch on my Van Halen album is Sammy Hagar's fault. If he did not suck so much the earthquake never would have happened, and my collection would still be in perfect shape and ready to roll.

Eat shit, you fat bastard!!!
I'm gonna get you sucka!!!

jhale667
08-23-2011, 04:20 PM
The Woolly Sharktopus!

:lmao:

Satan
08-23-2011, 04:39 PM
That was me, sorry.... ;)

Oh yeah? What was her name? :sex:

VanHalener
08-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Jamie's Cryin' is scratched!
It skips now because it has a scratch.
I am fucking pissed off!!!!!!!!!
This album has survived millions of rotations without a scratch, but nooooooooooo a fucking earthquake has to come along right after I put the album on an crank it!

I AM PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!

Dammit Jim!

VanHalener
08-23-2011, 05:07 PM
FUCK YOU HAGAR! You suck, your band sucks, and your momma sucks off sailors down at the docks.
You owe me money now you fat piece of shit. I hope you get really sick drinking all that monkey spunk!

Diamondjimi
08-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Never felt a thing. Hopefully everything's ok down south...

Seshmeister
08-23-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm from Baltimore Md. WE JUST HAD AN EARTHQUAKE

Early reports are that the earthquake has caused $2 million of improvements in Baltimore.

kwame k
08-23-2011, 06:26 PM
There were reports of damage here in Detroit but no one could tell the difference:)

PETE'S BROTHER
08-23-2011, 06:27 PM
it just made it hotter in az :(

knuckleboner
08-23-2011, 10:09 PM
i see ya shake and shimmy
acrosss the burger shop floor!

Satan
08-23-2011, 11:28 PM
The media whores are going batshit crazy with their coverage of this thing. Even some of the media whores themselves think so......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1JQAyAuE9E

Once again, I have no unholy idea how he keeps his job at that shithole. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

Satan
08-23-2011, 11:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFiFut0Rpg4

VanHalener
08-23-2011, 11:57 PM
I have never heard of a way to repair a scratched record, and there does not to be a solution on the net. Any of you Rothtards ever heard of a way?

Sammy Hagar's suck moves tectonic plates on Jupiter.

jhale667
08-24-2011, 12:05 PM
What's absolutely blowing my mind is how some wackos I know who used to be all messed up on drugs now they're all messed up on Jeebus practically have (figuratively speaking) hard-ons thinking this is another sign of the "rapture". I mean, they WANT the world to end, no ifs ands or buts about it. It's disturbing. They don't even put Revelation down long enough to Google the fact that yes, there are tectonic plate shifts on that side of the country too, but they only happen at THAT magnitude like once every 50-100 years...truly delusional. :umm:

Best tweet I saw yesterday jokingly said (P)Rick Perry made a statement that "tectonic plate movement is just another theory that's out there..." :lmao:

FORD
08-24-2011, 12:13 PM
If anything unusual caused this earthquake, my vote is going to "man made damage due to the horrible fracking process that's happening all over the eastern part of the country", and not "random acts of a pissed off God in order to fulfill Biblical prophecy"

chefcraig
08-24-2011, 12:21 PM
What's absolutely blowing my mind is how some wackos I know who used to be all messed up on drugs now they're all messed up on Jeebus practically have (figuratively speaking) hard-ons thinking this is another sign of the "rapture".

To me the real pisser here is the fact that there were two earthquakes yesterday. The second (that no one seems to be talking about) took place in Colorado, which was felt in Kansas, Omaha, Nebraska and San Diego, California.

Two Strong Earthquakes Shake Country

By Todd Pittenger KSAL (http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=18735&format=html)

Two strong earthquakes shake different parts of the country in twelve-hours.

According to the United States Geological Survey, the first strong quake hit in Colorado, at around 11:45 MDT Monday night. A 5.3 magnitude earthquake occurred near Trinidad, Colorado. The earthquake caused strong shaking but minor damage.

It was felt throughout the state of Colorado and neighboring states. This earthquake was felt across much of western Kansas and parts of central and south central Kansas. It was even felt as far away as Omaha, Nebraska and San Diego, California.

Colorado is no stranger to earthquakes, but most are small and go unnoticed. According to the USGS, an earthquake in 1882 was the first to cause damage in Denver and is believed to be the largest recorded in the state. That quake was believed to be centered in the Front Range near what is now Rocky Mountain National Park. Its magnitude was estimated to be about 6.6 on the Richter scale. It was felt as far away as Salina, Kansas, and Salt Lake City, Utah.

The USGS says that a second strong quake, measured at a 5.8 magnitude, occurred at 11:51 AM MDT Tuesday morning with the epicenter 41 miles NW of Richmond, Virginia.

There are no reports of major damage or injuries after the rare earthquake in Virginia. There are reports of buildings swaying in Chicago and Cincinnati. Closer to the quake, government buildings in the Washington, DC area were evacuated. Groundings were are in effect at JFK Airport in New York, Newark Airport in New Jersey, Philadelphia International and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Washington, DC.

At this point there are no reports of serious injury or serious damage from the strongest earthquake to hit Virginia since 1897, but buildings and monuments throughout the area are being inspected.

jhale667
08-24-2011, 12:35 PM
To me the real pisser here is the fact that there were two earthquakes yesterday. The second (that no one seems to be talking about) took place in Colorado, which was felt in Kansas, Omaha, Nebraska and San Diego, California.

Two Strong Earthquakes Shake Country

By Todd Pittenger KSAL (http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=18735&format=html)

Two strong earthquakes shake different parts of the country in twelve-hours.

According to the United States Geological Survey, the first strong quake hit in Colorado, at around 11:45 MDT Monday night. A 5.3 magnitude earthquake occurred near Trinidad, Colorado. The earthquake caused strong shaking but minor damage.

It was felt throughout the state of Colorado and neighboring states. This earthquake was felt across much of western Kansas and parts of central and south central Kansas. It was even felt as far away as Omaha, Nebraska and San Diego, California.

Colorado is no stranger to earthquakes, but most are small and go unnoticed. According to the USGS, an earthquake in 1882 was the first to cause damage in Denver and is believed to be the largest recorded in the state. That quake was believed to be centered in the Front Range near what is now Rocky Mountain National Park. Its magnitude was estimated to be about 6.6 on the Richter scale. It was felt as far away as Salina, Kansas, and Salt Lake City, Utah.

The USGS says that a second strong quake, measured at a 5.8 magnitude, occurred at 11:51 AM MDT Tuesday morning with the epicenter 41 miles NW of Richmond, Virginia.

There are no reports of major damage or injuries after the rare earthquake in Virginia. There are reports of buildings swaying in Chicago and Cincinnati. Closer to the quake, government buildings in the Washington, DC area were evacuated. Groundings were are in effect at JFK Airport in New York, Newark Airport in New Jersey, Philadelphia International and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Washington, DC.

At this point there are no reports of serious injury or serious damage from the strongest earthquake to hit Virginia since 1897, but buildings and monuments throughout the area are being inspected.

It's their selective comprehension, dude...no way the crazies can talk about "end times" if they acknowledge another quake the same day...not to mention all the other little ones that happened yesterday...and the one in Northern CA this morning....

WACF
08-24-2011, 12:44 PM
It's their selective comprehension, dude...no way the crazies can talk about "end times" if they acknowledge another quake the same day...not to mention all the other little ones that happened yesterday...and the one in Northern CA this morning....

Mention Pangaea to them to ask if any earthquakes happened then too...after I had to explain what Pangaea was to my born again Mother In-Law...and the time frame...the conversation shifted.

jhale667
08-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Mention Pangaea to them to ask if any earthquakes happened then too...after I had to explain what Pangaea was to my born again Mother In-Law...and the time frame...the conversation shifted.

Trust me, they're one step away from being flat-earthers....surprised your mother-in-law didn't "rebuke" you when you said the earth was older than 5,000....blasphemer! :lmao: As for my friend and her wacky cohorts, I feel like just posting this on her FB page and being done with it....lol

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SXLkfYdHUMg/TdRt7oOPKMI/AAAAAAAABSw/qrTWhKi2Fpw/s1600/the+end+1.jpg

FORD
08-24-2011, 12:51 PM
I think it was Mike Malloy who mentioned the other quake last night. He also offered his explanation why the east coast quake got the coverage, and the midwest quake did not.

Because the media whores don't work in Colorado or Kansas.

Seshmeister
08-24-2011, 12:54 PM
If anything unusual caused this earthquake, my vote is going to "man made damage due to the horrible fracking process that's happening all over the eastern part of the country", and not "random acts of a pissed off God in order to fulfill Biblical prophecy"

c) None of the above

Blaze
08-24-2011, 01:08 PM
The media whores are going batshit crazy with their coverage of this thing. Even some of the media whores themselves think so......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1JQAyAuE9E

Once again, I have no unholy idea how he keeps his job at that shithole. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif
I see why some people thinks there are lizard people. That guy looks weird. I can't put my finger on it, but something is wrong with his face.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-24-2011, 01:57 PM
a $15 trillion check bouncing?

Jagermeister
08-25-2011, 03:12 PM
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

The President just issued a statement declaring that the DC quake occuurred on a previously undiscovered fault-line know as "Bush's Fault". The Preident also announced that the Attorney General and Maxine Waters have iniated an investigation into the quakes suspected ties to the Tea Party.

VanHalener
08-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks to my Roth Army brother who hooked me up with info on the delicate process of eliminating a scratch on a record. Heading out shortly to get what I need.
~Thanks Holmes~

Another cat I know said to find another copy of the album with a scratch on the opposite side. He said I should glue the two albums together and stop wasting his time asking such a stupid question.

ThrillsNSpills
08-25-2011, 03:34 PM
I have never heard of a way to repair a scratched record, and there does not to be a solution on the net. Any of you Rothtards ever heard of a way?

my older brothers and sisters used to bring home great records and treat them horribly and mess them up. What I would do is play the record, then right when the skip happens I push down on the needle and do this repeatedly until the skip was gone. Of course, there was a bit of a whooshing sound even on the bits where the skip was "fixed." Keep in mind these were the days when the GE brand needle weight like 7 grams or something ridiculous. I did a lot of great anti-skip work on toy phonographs. LoL don't mess up your pioneer turntable or technics turntable on this silly shit. Keep in mind I was seven years old when I fixed skips.
Forget I said any of this and get a new vinyl copy for yourself.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Another cat I know said to find another copy of the album with a scratch on the opposite side. He said I should glue the two albums together and stop wasting his time asking such a stupid question.

:biggrin:

Nitro Express
08-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Did anyone actually carefully put their records back in the paper sleeve when they were a kid? I never did. I was the master at scratching up records. All my Disney records would skip. Peter and the Wolf would repeat every other five words and a careful slap to the side of the record player would fix it. Oh the things kids nowadays are missing.

VanHalener
08-25-2011, 06:16 PM
I would say I put them back in their sleeves about 90% of the time. Sometimes the same album would stay on the player for several days, but it was usually the only undressed album in the house.
My brother never left one out, and once in a while I would play his stuff in his room and forget to put an album away. This mistake, made only a few times over the years, would result in a beating, threats of future beatings, and then another beating.
When I put this record on it was played on my USB turntable in the garage. My makeshift dust cover dropped down on the tone arm when the quake hit.
I came a blonde muff hair from throwing the turntable across the room.

Hardrock69
08-25-2011, 08:48 PM

1. Put a dime on the needle arm. That way the needle will not skip out of the groove when it hits the scratch.

2. Use a CD.

3. Buy another copy of the vinyl album.

IF you can fix the scratch, more power to ya.

Hardrock69
08-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Hate to correct ya Craig, but there were NINETY (90) earthquakes yesterday in the United States:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2029335/Virginia-earthquake-2011-1-NINETY-tremors-US-day.html#ixzz1VzEVV1YU

Hardrock69
08-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Oops....dupe post....:umm:

VanHalener
08-25-2011, 09:21 PM
I have a dime, but I don't think I can get the bag to stay on without taping it down.:hitch:

PETE'S BROTHER
08-26-2011, 10:11 AM
I have a dime, but I don't think I can get the bag to stay on without taping it down.:hitch:

use a medicine bottle :biggrin:

Seshmeister
08-29-2011, 07:51 AM
http://digitalsmind.com/images/stories/images/va_earthquake.jpg