PDA

View Full Version : When did Jerry Lewis kick the bucket?

FORD
09-05-2011, 02:11 AM
I was flipping through what pitifully few TV channels I get, and I stumbled across the annual MDA telethon, and first thing I notice is no Jerry Lewis. No sign of him at all, they aren't even using the words "Jerry's Kids".

I know he was old and had some weird disease that put him on steroids and made him gain like 80 pounds or something, but I hadn't heard anything about him dying.

Maybe Rupert Murdoch took over the production, because the new hosts seem to be a bunch of blonde chicks. I think Sami Brady from Days of Our Lives is one of them, have no idea who the other ones are.

No Jerry on the telethon? Can this thing survive without him?

Little Texan
09-05-2011, 02:21 AM
Not only that, but I believe the telethon only went for like 6 hours this year. They couldn't have raised much money in that small amount of time. I remember when I was a kid that it would come on Sunday evening, stay on all night and until 5 pm the next day.

Seshmeister
09-05-2011, 02:21 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/04/eveningnews/main20101566.shtml

Comedians angry with Jerry Lewis' telethon end

(CBS News) A Labor Day ritual, The Muscular Dystrophy telethon goes on the air Sunday night.
However, for the first time in 45-years, Jerry Lewis will be a no show.

The Muscular Dystrophy Association says the so-called king of comedy is no longer its national chairman and will not appear on this year's broadcast.

CBS News correspondent Hattie Kauffman reports that, over the last half-century, no one raised more money for children with MD than the comic legend.

Yet Sunday night's MDA telethon ushers in new, younger hosts. That the 85-year-old, who's inspired a generation of comedians, is being pushed aside has the country's funny men angry.

"After all these years, you're telling me there's no presence, Jerry lewis has no presence on his own (show)?" asked David Letterman on air recently.

"If this is the way we're going culturally, then we should go all the way and just tell grandpa we don't need him for thanksgiving," said comedian Larry Miller.

At the famed Laugh Factory in Los Angeles, comedians upset at Jerry's ouster are planning their own Labor Day fundraiser as a tribute to the legend.

"In my 42 years in show business, I've seen a great deal of injustice, this ranks right up to the top," said Tom Dressen, comedian.

Jerry Lewis shot to fame as the manic goof ball to Dean Martin's straight man. Going solo, he made a string of movies like "The Nutty Professor."

But the role of a lifetime was the telethon. Every Labor Day since 1966, Lewis both performed and pleaded for donations, during marathon twenty-one hour telecasts.

The MDA says Lewis brought in about $2.5 billion.

"He basically just put his entire personality on display. To be told just thanks, good bye, is the ultimate in humiliation," said comedian Harry Schearer.

Shearer says he would have crafted a different ending to this script.

"I think (I would have had) a sort of home run lap where everybody in show business said a valedictory thanks and farewell and Jerry got to bask in that one more time," Schearer said.

CBS News spoke with Jerry Lewis, but when asked to comment, he declined. And so we are left with last year's signature song..."You'll never walk alone."

Nitro Express
09-05-2011, 03:44 AM
I can't believe they are still doing that stupid telethon. I remember watching it as a kid over labor day up at the family cabin when we only got two channels.

sadaist
09-05-2011, 07:33 AM
I

I know he was old and had some weird disease that put him on steroids and made him gain like 80 pounds or something, but I hadn't heard anything about him dying.

Prednisone - Steroid

My mom was on that and she gained a lot of weight, especially the face. Mostly the face. Really weird shit. We would laugh at her drivers license picture cause I would say her face barely fit in the blue square. "HAHA - very funny .....asshole." But she would always mention how Jerry Lewis was on the same stuff & that is what made his face get all huge. When she went down on the dosage the swelling went right down with it, but the pain went up. So she didn't lower dosages for very long.

sadaist
09-05-2011, 07:35 AM
No Jerry on the telethon? Can this thing survive without him?

News came on during George Noory Coast to Coast. Said it brought in $6 million this time. $2.6 mill more than last year. Odd. But perhaps a good sign for the economy? Let's hope.

Hardrock69
09-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Hey, fucking networks got Dick Clark to continue on with the New Year's Rocking Eve telecast despite the fact he has had a stroke and can barely speak!

FUCK THE MDA MOTHERFUCKERS! :mad:

HE HAS RAISED OVER 2.5 BILLION DOLLARS AND IS STILL OF SOUND MIND? AND CAN STILL DO IT? AND THEY FUCKING THROW HIM OUT LIKE YESTERDAY'S TRASH!?!?!?!?!?????

FUCK THOSE WORTHLESS GODDAMNABLE FUCKS! THEY SHOULD BE GLAD HE EVER FUCKING BOTHERED!

HE SHOULD BE THE FUCKING CHAIRMAN OF THE TELETHON UNTIL HE DIES! IF HE HAS A STROKE AND CANNOT MOVE, THEY SHOULD STILL WHEEL HIM OUT IN A HOSPITAL BED TO FART ON NATIONAL TV! WHEN HE IS DEAD THEY SHOULD MUMMIFY HIM AND HAUL HIS CORPSE OUT ON A STAND AS A REMINDER OF WHAT TRUE CHARITY IS ALL ABOUT!

I am fucking disgusted with those heartless cocksucking goddamn piece of shit worthless ass fuck windbag inconsiderate asshole fuckbag idiot shit-eating bastard motherfuckers!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Hardrock69
09-05-2011, 05:38 PM
And Sadaist, you are wrong. They did not bring in $6 million dollars. They raised $61.5 million. You are off by about 56 and a half million dollars, lol.

sadaist
09-05-2011, 07:09 PM
And Sadaist, you are wrong. They did not bring in $6 million dollars. They raised $61.5 million. You are off by about 56 and a half million dollars, lol.

yeah, I saw that. I misheard the numbers. My hearing perception isn't so good at 4 am. But the point I was making was it pulled in more this year than it did last year WITH Jerry. And it was a shorter telethon.

SunisinuS
09-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Confused me as well. JL did some good here. Tossed out with the turnips makes me pissed also.

FORD
09-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Funny thing is, I don't think I ever saw the total in flashing neon lights on the national telethon, so I don't know what their individual donors did. I seem to recall some big checks from the firefighters union, and those "evil Venezuelans" at Citgo Oil.

Maybe some people pledged to give them money if they would keep Billy Ray Cyrus from singing? :biggrin:

Nitro Express
09-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Did Jerry's replacement cuss like Jerry and did Charo show up this year?

Jagermeister
09-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Yeah it's bullshit. They had that fucking douche bag from you think yo can dance on as MC in one part. Fucking disgraceful. I gave 75 cents to a fireman at a stop light on Saturday. Lucky I gave them that. Jerry did a great job with this over many many years. :(

jhale667
09-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Seems like I remember reading that since JL is now 89 and has officially stepped down as chairman, they decided to "go in a different direction" this year. Kinda lame, they could've at least let him do a cameo or given him an honorable mention after 45 years.

Jagermeister
09-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Seems like I remember reading that since JL is now 89 and has officially stepped down as chairman, they decided to "go in a different direction" this year. Kinda lame, they could've at least let him do a cameo or given him an honorable mention after 45 years.

Yeah no shit. Great cause although you would think that after all these years and all that money they would have made some kind of break through on the damn disease.

Nitro Express
09-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Jerry had a huge ego and could rub people wrong. He probably made enemies within the organization and snubbing him was their way of hurting him. This sort of shit goes on all the time. The bottom line is what the public thinks of you in the end. That's were legacy comes from, not some administrators in an organization. I say keep your money and give it to another organization. They aren't the only game in town and who knows how much the assholes skim for themselves. It doesn't seem like the best people are running the thing because of how they screwed Jerry in a very cruel way.

Nitro Express
09-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah no shit. Great cause although you would think that after all these years and all that money they would have made some kind of break through on the damn disease.

I wonder how much money actually went towards curing the disease. These charity organizations are notorious for administrative skimming. I really don't like to give to any organization. I will give money to people who need it directly. What these organizations have going is a reputable reference for a tax deduction. If the IRS wants to check your deductions they are going to go to that organization and see if you really donated. If you give Bill Burgerbutt some money you have less of a reputable reference. It's not so much that I want to give but damn, I need a tax deduction.

FORD
09-06-2011, 02:14 PM

They did a little 5 minute tribute to him towards the end of the show. And then followed that up with a finale of false "patriotism" horseshit that had absolutely nothing to do with the telethon, and could have been scripted by FAUX noise itself.

fifth element
09-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Jerry had a huge ego and could rub people wrong. He probably made enemies within the organization and snubbing him was their way of hurting him. This sort of shit goes on all the time. The bottom line is what the public thinks of you in the end. That's were legacy comes from, not some administrators in an organization. I say keep your money and give it to another organization. They aren't the only game in town and who knows how much the assholes skim for themselves. It doesn't seem like the best people are running the thing because of how they screwed Jerry in a very cruel way.
Don't care how many peoplee he rubbed the wrong way...he has been THE MDA guy for more years than i care to think about...and agree that he should remain soo until he CHOOSES not to be or dies...whichever comes first.

bleh...some things are just wrong

FORD
09-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Yeah, aside from what he's done for MDA and the telethon, there's the fact that the guy's the last survivor of that whole Vegas bunch from the 50's & 60's. Sinatra. Dean Martin. Sammy Davis Jr. All long gone. Jerry should fucking die on that set, if he wants to.

Diamondjimi
09-08-2011, 12:40 AM
No shit. What a load of horseshit that move was. They replaced a comedic legend with nobody.... Epic FAIL!

conmee
09-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Brethren and Sistren,

I agree with SESH!!!©®™

It's time to take out the fucking TRASH!!!©®™ Not just Jerry, but let's get rid of Letterman and Leno too! Put these guys out to PASTURE!!!©®™

Bring in some new legends like Dane Cook©®™ and that one dude on that one show and that girl also!!!!©®™

That is all.

Icon©®™

Hardrock69
09-08-2011, 12:24 PM
New Legends? :lmao:

There are no "new legends" in those fields.

Seshmeister
09-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Who are going to be the legendary movie stars in the future?

Orlando Bloom and Shia LaBeouf are this generations replacements for Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery?

kwame k
09-08-2011, 12:56 PM

Supposedly, Jerry has said he will not die until there's a cure for MD, God told him or something. I wish I could find the quote....it was surreal and it was his explanation as to why he did the telethon and why he would continue.

jhale667
09-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Orlando Bloom and Shia LaBeouf are this generations replacements for Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery?

No, they're this generation's version of George Lazenby and the dude that played "Booger" in Revenge of the Nerds...

fifth element
09-12-2011, 01:54 AM

that's downright sad...

Nitro Express
09-12-2011, 03:41 AM
Don't care how many peoplee he rubbed the wrong way...he has been THE MDA guy for more years than i care to think about...and agree that he should remain soo until he CHOOSES not to be or dies...whichever comes first.

bleh...some things are just wrong

In general my opinion of human beings isn't very high. I've seen too much shit in the business world and else where. People seem to be getting worse as well over the years. If you are lucky enough to live to an old age and can count your real friends on two hands you have done extremely well in this world. Real friendship has to be earned and it goes both ways. When I look at a guy like Jerry getting screwed I just kind of think, the man fucked over another one. There are lot's of Jerry's out there getting fucked over everyday. We just don't hear about it because they aren't famous. Getting fucked over is the norm now but being treated with respect and deserving of that respect is rare as hell.

fryingdutchman
09-15-2011, 05:31 AM
What I wanna know is how the fuck can there be no marked progress on curing MD after 2.5 BILLION FUCKING DOLLARS has been raised? I know they have expenses to pay and not all of that money goes towards research, but I don't trust the MDA people and I think someone (or many someones) has a vested interest in keeping MD around so they can fill their wallet.

It's ashame that someone's fatal and/or crippling disease is somebody else's cash cow.

Just like Cancer, Inc.

FORD
09-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Well, also, just like cancer, there are many different variants of muscular dystrophy. So it's not a matter of finding a cure for "one" disease. Of course big pharma probably plays into it, as they do into everything.

fryingdutchman
09-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Well, also, just like cancer, there are many different variants of muscular dystrophy. So it's not a matter of finding a cure for "one" disease. Of course big pharma probably plays into it, as they do into everything.

I hear you, FORD. But after all of these decades, and after billions upon billions of dollars....they haven't completely licked EVEN ONE FORM of either disease?

Something stinks...