PDA

View Full Version : What should the White House do? Panic! - by James "Snake" Carville

FORD
09-16-2011, 03:12 PM
What should the White House do? Panic!

Editor's note: James Carville is a Democratic strategist who serves as a political contributor for CNN, appearing frequently on CNN's "The Situation Room" as well as other programs on all CNN networks. Carville remains active in Democratic politics and is a party fundraiser.

(CNN) -- People often ask me what advice I would give the White House about various things. Today I was mulling over election results from New York and Nevada while thinking about that very question. What should the White House do now? One word came to mind: Panic.

We are far past sending out talking points. Do not attempt to dumb it down. We cannot stand any more explanations. Have you talked to any Democratic senators lately? I have. It's pretty damn clear they are not happy campers.

This is what I would say to President Barack Obama: The time has come to demand a plan of action that requires a complete change from the direction you are headed.

I don't know how else to break this down. Simply put:

1. Fire somebody. No -- fire a lot of people. This may be news to you but this is not going well. For precedent, see Russian Army 64th division at Stalingrad. There were enough deaths at Stalingrad to make the entire tea party collectively orgasm.

Mr. President, your hinge of fate must turn. Bill Clinton fired many people in 1994 and took a lot of heat for it. Reagan fired most of his campaign staff in 1980. Republicans historically fired their own speaker, Newt Gingrich. Bush fired Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. For God's sake, why are we still looking at the same political and economic advisers that got us into this mess? It's not working.

Furthermore, it's not going to work with the same team, the same strategy and the same excuses. I know economic analysts are smart -- some work 17-hour days. It's time to show them the exit. Wake up -- show us you are doing something.

2.Indict people. There are certain people in American finance who haven't been held responsible for utterly ruining the economic fabric of our country. Demand from the attorney general a clear status of the state of investigation concerning these extraordinary injustices imposed upon the American people. I know Attorney General Eric Holder is a close friend of yours, but if his explanations aren't good, fire him too. Demand answers to why no one has been indicted.

Mr. President, people are livid. Tell people that you, too, are angry and sickened by the irresponsible actions on Wall Street that caused so much suffering. Do not accept excuses. Demand action now.

3. Make a case like a Democrat. While we are going along with the Republican austerity garbage, who is making the case against it? It's not the Democrats!

We are allowing the over-educated, over-explanatory bureaucrat by the name of (Congresssional Budget Office director Douglas) Elmendorf do all the talking. Do not let him make your case. Let us make your case. Is it any wonder that we were doing better in the middle of the stimulus-spending period than we are doing with the austerity program?

4. Hold fast to an explanation. Stick to your rationale for what has happened and what is going to happen under your leadership. You must carry this through until the election (never say that things are improving because evidently they are not).

As I watch the Republican debates, I realize that we are on the brink of a crazy person running our nation. I sit in front of the television and shudder at the thought of one of these creationism-loving, global-warming-denying, immigration-bashing, Social-Security-cutting, clean-air-hating, mortality-fascinated, Wall-Street-protecting Republicans running my country.

The course we are on is not working. The hour is late, and the need is great. Fire. Indict. Fight.

Link (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/09/14/opinion/carville-white-house-advice/index.html)

Snake Carville is often full of shit, but I can't find much here to disagree with :(

Nitro Express
09-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Barrack Obama's term can't end fast enough as far as I'm concerned but who do we replace him with? A big government and spending Texan? An investment banker who says corporations are people and said he would love to have Dick Cheney as a vice president if he could? A bat shit nutball woman who actually makes Sarah Palin look sane? Shit the Godfather's pizza dude actually looks good compared to his competition. LOL! Honestly though out of all these choices Ron Paul seems like the best. He's not johnny come lately and has a record you can check. He's the only one that gets or admits the Federal Reserve has a lot to do with our current problems. Who the Republicans bash the most right now is Ron Paul. He is getting no support from the party and only is on the ticket to get on the ballots. The Republicans love to say stuff like Ron Paul can't win or you are wasting your vote. He's actually doing quite well in the polls but the mainstream press won't tell you that. I see a vote for Shit Romney or Dick Fairy or Obamanation a waste of a vote. Huntsman just got the blessing from Lady Lynn de Rothschild so he might come around with his new money influx. He might have helped secure some Rothschild interests in China who knows. That's a strange one.

The thing is you can advertise too much and oversaturate yourself. That is what Sarah Palin did to herself and she recognized that laying low and she might come back into the race. I think that's her strategy. Nothing that worked for Obama the last election is going to work for him now. His uniqueness and celebrity appeal are over. His record of accomplishments has much to be desired and the economy sucks. The guy can have campaign ads up the ass this time and his image is so well known to the point we won't notice the ads at all. In fact, they will have a negative effect. Diminishing returns if you will.

2012 will be interesting. I think who runs the same old campaigns won't get as far as they think they will.

I honestly don't think the Democrats want to win this time. . If they did they would run another candidate. Both parties are bought and paid for and replacing Obama with Mitt will change very little. You will get right wing rhetoric and then the same pro corporation economic and foreign policy program. I don't think the oligarchy really cares if you label it a democrat or republican just as long as it serves them.

FORD
09-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Barrack Obama's term can't end fast enough as far as I'm concerned but who do we replace him with?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Howard_Dean_declaration_of_candidacy_June_2003.jpg/799px-Howard_Dean_declaration_of_candidacy_June_2003.jpg

Nitro Express
09-16-2011, 05:08 PM
The party turned on Dean. Amazing how they exploited that clip of him yelling and used the media to destroy the guy. Dean has a lot of credibility with me just because the establishment turned on him.

Dr. Love
09-16-2011, 10:10 PM
yeah, it's a shame... but at the same time ... YEARRRGHHH!!!

SunisinuS
09-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Huntsman is the only one out of the field I would consider. He is the
Jerry Brown of Repubs, a practical and pragmatic person. He at least knows how to govern.

But it is a round robin of idiots in general.

Nitro Express
09-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Huntsman is the only one out of the field I would consider. He is the
Jerry Brown of Repubs, a practical and pragmatic person. He at least knows how to govern.

But it is a round robin of idiots in general.

My mom went to high school with his dad. Ironically, Howard Hugh's wife Terri Moore also went to the same school. Not bad for some little shit Utah town. I don't know if I trust Huntsman. I really don't know enough about him other than he was governor of Utah and fluently speaks Chinese.

SunisinuS
09-17-2011, 01:51 AM
I lived under his governance. Not what you would expect.

Nitro Express
09-17-2011, 03:35 AM
I lived in Utah when Levitt was running the show there. Really no complaints about him. The problem with Utah is all the cronyism and nepotism in the state. It's really bad there.

What Utah does have going for it is a educated and motivated population base and excellent universities. With the California exodus a lot of people and companies relocated into Utah. I know with one company I'm involved with we have had the least amount of employee problems in Utah. I like to hire good employees, give them some objectives and let them run. So many people now are just not self-motivated and have to be micromanaged. The under 30 crowd are especially bad but in Utah a lot of the younger people are good employees.

Nickdfresh
09-17-2011, 04:28 AM
James Carville....

As I watch the Republican debates, I realize that we are on the brink of a crazy person running our nation. I sit in front of the television and shudder at the thought of one of these creationism-loving, global-warming-denying, immigration-bashing, Social-Security-cutting, clean-air-hating, mortality-fascinated, Wall-Street-protecting Republicans running my country.

For the love of God, me too...