PDA

View Full Version : I found one of these crawling around in my garage last night

Nitro Express
09-20-2011, 12:58 PM
The aliens have landed. All I know is it made a huge crunch and lots of goo shot out when I smashed it with my foot.

ThrillsNSpills
09-20-2011, 01:08 PM
That's not an insect that's a house pet. nah, definately an alien.
If you didn't squash him he would have gotten an account here eventually.

FORD
09-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Found a milipede crawling around my house last night. Poor thing probably had to come indoors to get away from all the spiders camped out on my front porch. I don't mind the spiders as long as they stay outside, though I wish the little bastards would learn not to spin their webs across the doorway. All that happens is I get pissed off, and they have to rebuild it daily, so it's not helping either of us.

sadaist
09-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Sickest, grossest, nastiest, ugliest bug ever!.....EVER!

Potato bugs. When I was doing pool service with my brother we would find them during certain months in pools. Sometimes dead, sometimes alive. Of all the weird shit I would find in pools, these by far were the creepiest. No fucking way in hell would I hold one. They are the shit of nightmares. Plain old nasty.

FORD
09-20-2011, 01:19 PM
They do look like some sort of bizarre mad scientist experiment gone wrong. Like they somehow spliced frog DNA into ants and mated them with bees or something.

Nitro Express
09-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Sickest, grossest, nastiest, ugliest bug ever!.....EVER!

Potato bugs. When I was doing pool service with my brother we would find them during certain months in pools. Sometimes dead, sometimes alive. Of all the weird shit I would find in pools, these by far were the creepiest. No fucking way in hell would I hold one. They are the shit of nightmares. Plain old nasty.

They have big ass pinchers. I wasn't about to pick it up.

Guitar Shark
09-20-2011, 01:50 PM
That is NASTY! I've never seen one of those before.

This is what I've always thought was a potato bug:

http://heidikins.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/potato-bugs.jpg?w=420&h=280

Nitro Express
09-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Found a milipede crawling around my house last night. Poor thing probably had to come indoors to get away from all the spiders camped out on my front porch. I don't mind the spiders as long as they stay outside, though I wish the little bastards would learn not to spin their webs across the doorway. All that happens is I get pissed off, and they have to rebuild it daily, so it's not helping either of us.

When I lived in the Pacific Northwest it was the banana slugs. They were all around the house I rented. Stepping on one was the worst. The slime!

Nitro Express
09-20-2011, 01:53 PM

We call those pills bugs.

Seshmeister
09-20-2011, 02:17 PM
That's not an insect that's a house pet. nah, definately an alien.
If you didn't squash him he would have gotten an account here eventually.

Actually it was posting as "Tob" for a while there...

FORD
09-20-2011, 02:18 PM

Yeah, I always called those things potato bugs. Though oddly enough, I never saw one anywhere near a potato. Usually they were under a rotting piece of wood or something like that.

Seshmeister
09-20-2011, 02:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_cricket

Jerusalem crickets, also called "potato bugs" are a group of large, flightless insects of the genus Stenopelmatus. They are native to the western United States and parts of Mexico.

Despite their names, Jerusalem crickets are a distinct lineage within the Orthoptera, separate from crickets (eg Gryillidae), are not native to Jerusalem, and they do not prefer potatoes for food. Active usually at night, the insects use their strong mandibles to feed primarily on dead organic material but can also eat other insects.Their highly adapted feet are used for burrowing beneath moist soil to feed on decaying root plants and tubers.

As is true for other large arthropods (e.g. solfugids), there are a number of folk tales regarding Jerusalem crickets which are untrue; first and foremost, they are not venomous. However, they can emit a foul smell and are capable of inflicting a painful bite - but neither is lethal, as some of the tales would suggest.

FORD
09-20-2011, 02:22 PM
When I lived in the Pacific Northwest it was the banana slugs. They were all around the house I rented. Stepping on one was the worst. The slime!

Yeah the slugs are still around. Saw slime trails all over my front tire the other day. Never saw one inside the house though. Though I did find a snail attached to my back door a few weeks back.

Two ways to kill slugs - You can either be sadistic and pee on them (salt burns them to death) or get some cheap shit beer and pour it in a little dish, and let them drown happy.

Seshmeister
09-20-2011, 02:32 PM
It says here that banana slugs can grow to 10"?

That is disgusting...

FORD
09-20-2011, 02:50 PM
or even bigger sometimes.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuJnujRR3dU

Nitro Express
09-20-2011, 03:00 PM
It says here that banana slugs can grow to 10"?

That is disgusting...

Easy. I was fishing the Mckenzie river in Oregon and found one and put a big peace of slug meat on a fish hook. Pulled it out of the water and had six feet of slime trailing it. Decided the fish weren't going to bite that shit. It's fun to dump salt on them though.

clarathecarrot
09-20-2011, 03:01 PM
I keep getting these black wasps crawling on the inside of my widow screen I keep my home office room window open about 5 inches all year long, storm glass up to let air in and out.

Cause i smoke...man!

But, I get sick of grabbing them by the wings and hauling them downstairs to the back door and outside..I get pissed at them after a couple days and instead of letting them starve as i have i eventually toss them out back they just try to get out all day and night pacing back and forth across the damned screen, on occasion they crawl up my leg while I am lounging and I just can't smash them... DONT THEY KNOW!!!!

How to get back to however they got in the house..?

They must be stupid, but I have a affinity for them, we are so much alike constantly wandering back and forth getting nothing done and gettting nowhere fast...and they are just fine till you touch them after days of blissfull calm they go fukking beserk and start flapping and attempting to sting something.

Seems from my scientific hypothosis, observances that the common wasp can last about 3 days with no food or water and the nicotine embeded in the screen ain't doing them any good ...I think they preffer cuban cigars..... all snob like and shit.

P.S. That fukking bug in post one looks like a monster terminite from space.

Nitro Express
09-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Such a nasty bug, Orkin should use one in an add. The termite looks close though.
I own some shares in a company that makes vodka out of Idaho potatoes. We could dump a potato bug into a bottle and fill it up with potato vodka and go for a mezcal type of marketing vibe. Somehow I don't think it would go over too well.

Nitro Express
09-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah the slugs are still around. Saw slime trails all over my front tire the other day. Never saw one inside the house though. Though I did find a snail attached to my back door a few weeks back.

Two ways to kill slugs - You can either be sadistic and pee on them (salt burns them to death) or get some cheap shit beer and pour it in a little dish, and let them drown happy.

I did in a bunch of slugs with a 12 pack of Hamm's one time. Very effective.

clarathecarrot
09-20-2011, 03:21 PM
I did in a bunch of slugs with a 12 pack of Hamm's one time. Very effective.

Yeah that's it.
The next trials on the tv show, Top Shot . I would pay to see that.

I mean who can't shoot a gun, maybe a no thumbed monkey.

One week these twits were throwing axe's at water baloons at 12 paces or some shit...WTF~!

Get this, it is a show about shooting guns at targets and then to make it more interesting they sometimes move the target to a different place..Amazing!

I know a dude who is a competition shotgun shooter cool stuff but this show is lame.

3 booze hounds shooting beer bottles in my basement with a BB Gun is more interesting.

P.S. if you don't wear the safety glasses you can't play.

Nitro Express
09-20-2011, 03:36 PM
How about shooting drunk slugs with a super soaker full of piss?

sadaist
09-20-2011, 04:21 PM

Yeah. I always thought those were potato bugs too. Until I found a REAL potato bug & looked up online to see what the fuck it was. Pill bugs are fun to play with as a kid. Harmless & they roll up when you mess with them. Potato bugs? I doubt ANY kid is about to fuck around with one of those.

Seshmeister
09-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Slugs are like the vampires of the bug community, there are so many different interesting ways to kill them, pity it's so messy.

clarathecarrot
09-20-2011, 05:07 PM
How about shooting drunk slugs with a super soaker full of piss?

Maybe a competition long range air cannon full of tv personalities I don't like shot into a brick wall at point blank. They would surely be pissing and there would more than likely be some slugs around > Slugs live for the trill and what'not. . Then we could go drink beer.

clarathecarrot
09-20-2011, 05:10 PM
FYI, I have seen shows on the good TV channel about those pill bugs and they lived way back in the olden days under water and were three feet across..Seen fossils from like the 1930's and stuff way back..olden times.

sadaist
09-20-2011, 06:19 PM
FYI, I have seen shows on the good TV channel about those pill bugs and they lived way back in the olden days under water and were three feet across..Seen fossils from like the 1930's and stuff way back..olden times.

They kinda remind of an armadillo. With that armor on their bodies. I drove through Texas once and was pretty excited to see my first real armadillos. Sadly they were all roadkill. But was still weird to see them anyways.

clarathecarrot
09-20-2011, 07:23 PM
A friend of mine who also once drove thru Texas said, wow glad they aren't 17 ft tall...I said Armadillos..? he said, no Rabbits..?

He never said that, but the guy said that on the barstool next to me way back in not quite olden times, but near there. You would think Armadillos would roll up into balls and not become roadkill they are like PillBugs but have feet like pigs ..no shit... I also saw them on the sides of the road when passing them in Texas but that was more than once so it was different.., and man did that hurt, but I was in a hurry and on my way to Arizona.

It was in Arizona and that dude would eat rabbit shit for beers, it was dried rabbit shit dried by the Arizona desert, probably no different than shredded wheat.

ThrillsNSpills
09-20-2011, 08:34 PM

If you pour Schlitz on a Potato bug, you're likely to piss the thing off.

ThrillsNSpills
09-20-2011, 08:36 PM
It's the Alex Van Halen bug. Comes with its own neck brace.

clarathecarrot
09-20-2011, 08:41 PM
If you pour Schlitz on a Potato bug, you're likely to piss the thing off.

Whiskey might make that bug all crazy like a Apache!!

Shclitz is bieng remade now and with the original formula as stated in FORDS beer thread and get this they are charging 7$ a six pak like it is some art beer..lol

Great stuff (for a cheap beer back when).

I haven't tried it since the remake.

Blaze
09-21-2011, 12:17 AM
That is a pretty buggy looking bug!

This guy posed for me not too long ago. He was more curious about me, than usual for these bugs. He just sat there looking back at me. When I finished he left. I think he would have stayed there for hours letting me take pictures. For a bug he did stay posed for a long time. lol.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6174/6167857837_369dbd47e3_o.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6169/6167884043_a7ca19947c_o.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6153/6167896477_84c09cc1e8_o.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6159/6167857843_def61c4310_o.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6170/6167884053_92b6f3164b_o.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6173/6167857851_910869a6b0_o.jpg

Nitro Express
09-21-2011, 02:13 AM
When we were living in Hong Kong in the late 70's we were on the top of Victoria Peak and out of the foliage runs this huge centipede. It was really cool looking with bright purple, black, and yellow markings. I wanted it and was going to grab it and this chinese man starts yelling at me in broken english. It bite you! It bite you!. That got the attention of other people and one of them told me the centipedes in southern China are poisonous and have big ass fangs. I guess the bite hurts like hell.

fifth element
09-21-2011, 09:16 AM
the aliens have landed. All i know is it made a huge crunch and lots of goo shot out when i smashed it with my foot.

ick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clarathecarrot
09-21-2011, 08:58 PM
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?55917-Eat-Wierd-Food&highlight=

envy_me
11-04-2012, 01:59 PM
:O

WTF is that??? I have never seen anything like that. It looks like a bug, but too big to be a bug (say that out loud :D). It looks like a small child crawling.

Nickdfresh
11-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Do they taste like potatoes? I like potatoes...

envy_me
11-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Do they taste like potatoes? I like potatoes...

Oh god that is so gross. I still can't believe that something like that exists.

Yount
11-05-2012, 01:28 AM

Didn't Dave call Ed & Al pill bugs, describing their behavior at the 1996 MTV sham?

ZahZoo
11-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Ah tator bugs... haven't seen those since I moved to the South.

Some local insects we have... How about a dobsonfly... nasty lookin creatures.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6u6A3LIMxMY/TUFlCP_cP1I/AAAAAAAABKw/L20Uo_OP_d8/s1600/dobson-fly-in-hand.jpg

Or a Cicada... they make a hell of a pop when they hit a ceiling fan running at full speed...

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cicada_borneo_ben.jpg

Dave's Bitch
11-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Finally managed to pluck up the courage to look at this thread.Those are some sick ass bugs :uck:

ThrillsNSpills
11-05-2012, 03:24 PM
that shit is wrong.

envy_me
11-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Ah tator bugs... haven't seen those since I moved to the South.

I thought that those lived in the south.

envy_me
11-05-2012, 05:20 PM
that shit is wrong.

What is that??? I don't wanna press play on that vid.

ThrillsNSpills
11-05-2012, 05:21 PM
It's a potato bug.

Like in the topic of the thread.

envy_me
11-05-2012, 05:29 PM
It's a potato bug.

Like in the topic of the thread.

Do you have those where you live?

ThrillsNSpills
11-05-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't think so.

I don't even want those things on the internet.

Yeesh

ThrillsNSpills
11-05-2012, 05:33 PM
But you know there's a culture somewhere that looks at that thing and says

mmmm, lunch.

envy_me
11-05-2012, 05:41 PM
But you know there's a culture somewhere that looks at that thing and says

mmmm, lunch.

Omg! Since my stomach flu or food poisoning this weekend, I can't even look at real lunch and think "mmm, lunch".

But on the video where he walks on that guys hand, he seems very friendly and peaceful. In a way I am grossed out, but in another way I feel sorry for him. He means no harm.

ZahZoo
11-06-2012, 03:04 PM

Had lot of those on the California coast...

envy_me
11-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Had lot of those on the California coast...

We have Spanish slug, that looks like that but is brown. I don't know if you have that one over there.

Trying to think of some bugs and animals that we have here in Europe that you don't have. You have moose, right?

fraroc
11-06-2012, 05:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnIk-6wR00&feature=related
Really weird and disgusting shit man.....

Fact: Videos of animals having sex is a better love story than Twilight, Fifty Shades Of Grey and every single Van Hagar "love song" (ew)

envy_me
11-06-2012, 05:44 PM
These spanish slugs that we have are two-genderd and if there is no partner it makes itself pregnant. One can make 400 other slugs. It's really terrible.

Little Texan
11-07-2012, 03:26 PM
These spanish slugs that we have are two-genderd and if there is no partner it makes itself pregnant. One can make 400 other slugs. It's really terrible.

In other words, they are fully capable of fucking themselves!

Zing!
11-07-2012, 04:44 PM
In other words, they are fully capable of fucking themselves!

If only Paul Ryan were a Spanish slug...

FORD
11-07-2012, 04:48 PM
....so somebody could piss on him?

Angel
11-08-2012, 09:02 AM
You have moose, right?

Otherwise known as a Canadian Camel :D

Sent from my GS2, bitches