PDA

View Full Version : We Are Not The Only Peeps Who Laugh At Chickenshit.....

Hardrock69
09-25-2011, 06:44 PM
I have a subscription to TapeOp Magazine....the best magazine (in my opinion) for recording engineers, producers, etc. with interviews and gear reviews and a letter section that rules.

So the other day I got the latest issue.

The last page of the magazine is usually pretty cool. This one was no exception. The contributor, Larry Crane, wrote a piece called "My Unwritten (Until Now) Rules In The Studio". It is just generic rules he has that any engineer should live by.

Rule #1: I don't play music by other artists that might possibly be inappropriate in some way. I don't wear band t-shirts.

SO.....when explaining this rule, he goes on about how he does not want his clients to think he prefers certain artists or styles of music. This is understandable, as if you were doing a session with Gretchen Wilson and were wearing a Slayer t-shirt, it may raise some eyebrows. And how, if a discussion gets to a certain artist or style of music, he will pull something up merely as a point of reference, or whatever.

But the hilarious part of this is the last third of the paragraph:

But when I know my clients well, playing music we all enjoy can be a great way to unwind, get perspective, and talk about new recording ideas. On one session we even played that first Chickenfoot album over and over for comedic relief. (Apologies to Chickenfoot producer Andy Johns).

Kudos to Mister Crane for having a good sense of humor....certainly when he can recognize something that deserves to be laughed at. :D

ashstralia
09-25-2011, 09:00 PM
i love joe satriani. always have, always will. i've met the man, and he's a fine humble human being. why oh why joe????:(

SunisinuS
09-25-2011, 09:20 PM
i love joe satriani. always have, always will. i've met the man, and he's a fine humble human being. why oh why joe????:(

He is very slow to write songs. He is not just a noodler by any means...but just learning how to make a band happy. He is the weakest link actually in the Chickenfoot.

ashstralia
09-25-2011, 09:35 PM
i can understand him wanting to appeal to a wider audience.... but wtf??? on reflection, that could be a really cool band with a proper singer....

FORD
09-25-2011, 09:47 PM

See, that's the thing... I like Satriani, like the Chili's, and still think Sobolewski is a good guy, despite his inability to exhume his head from Hagar's ass. I'd probably think Chickenshit was a decent band if they had any other singer. :(

When did you meet him? When he was touring Oz with Mick in 88?

Seshmeister
09-25-2011, 10:03 PM
The first album sounded as though it had been written in a morning.

We all know what Hagar is like but I don't understand how Satriani could be so fucking lazy in his writing.

ashstralia
09-25-2011, 10:34 PM
When did you meet him? When he was touring Oz with Mick in 88?

hey FORD. i met him in 08, he was touring on the 'satchafunkilus' album. i've got some connections with the ibanez people here, and my mate owns a chromeboy. so he did an instore signing in brisbane, we arranged to be at the end of the line so we could have some quality time. it was really cool, around his birthday, so we all had chocolate cake, got the guitar signed, i got my 'not of this earth' tab book signed, and explained to him what an influence he'd had on my career. he was genuinely thrilled to meet us, and the next night absolutely tore the place apart live. awesome.

FORD
09-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Cool. I didn't realize he'd done any solo touring down under.

ashstralia
09-25-2011, 11:32 PM
yeah, he's toured just about every album since 'blue dream'. he loves his aussie fans; unlike some other guitarists.:)

Seshmeister
09-26-2011, 12:06 AM
i explained to him what an influence he'd had on my career.

You're a hairdresser? :)

ashstralia
09-26-2011, 12:35 AM
barney had a giggle at that sesh...:) of course i mean my music/teaching career. hehehe...

Nitro Express
09-26-2011, 03:35 AM
hey FORD. i met him in 08, he was touring on the 'satchafunkilus' album. i've got some connections with the ibanez people here, and my mate owns a chromeboy. so he did an instore signing in brisbane, we arranged to be at the end of the line so we could have some quality time. it was really cool, around his birthday, so we all had chocolate cake, got the guitar signed, i got my 'not of this earth' tab book signed, and explained to him what an influence he'd had on my career. he was genuinely thrilled to meet us, and the next night absolutely tore the place apart live. awesome.

The old saying of never meet your heros because you will be disapointed.does not apply. Good to hear Satch was cool and real.

ashstralia
09-26-2011, 07:41 AM
mate, just check him out on yt. absolutely awesome bloke.

Nitro Express
09-26-2011, 11:32 AM
I went to a G3 concert and he played and sounded great. I never met him though.

jhale667
09-26-2011, 12:53 PM
The old saying of never meet your heros because you will be disapointed.does not apply. Good to hear Satch was cool and real.

In my experience in most cases that's not true. I've been fortunate enough to have met a ton of my heroes and they have been for the most part (like 99%, including EVH) totally cool people. I met Satch in the mid-90s and he is cool as shit! Agree with those that have stated Chickenshit would probably be quite interesting were it not for the Spam screech over everything...

VAiN
09-26-2011, 03:24 PM
In my experience in most cases that's not true. I've been fortunate enough to have met a ton of my heroes and they have been for the most part (like 99%, including EVH) totally cool people.

When did you meet Ed? Details, please...

ThrillsNSpills
09-26-2011, 05:49 PM
The first album sounded as though it had been written in a morning.

after a big breakfast

with the door closed

Nitro Express
09-26-2011, 08:23 PM
A band is like a chain. It's only as good as it's weakest link. You can have the best musicians in the world but when you add Sam you are going to get shit.

Also another problem Sam has is he eats too many hot dogs.

Blaze
09-26-2011, 10:55 PM
When did you meet Ed? Details, please...

How rude! ;)

Hardrock69
09-30-2011, 07:38 PM
The thing that bothers me, and I was just thinking about this today while driving around: Satch, Chad and Mike have diluted their reputations by being in a band with a half-wit cheeseburger lord.

They had some integrity, all well-respected in their careers, but by associating with Spamulus Flatulus, their cred has taken a hit.

I mean, what the fuck did they hope to accomplish by being in Chickenshit?

Beats me.....