PDA

View Full Version : Greatest three albums back to back by one glam/hard rock artist

mohican
10-02-2011, 01:54 AM
Sorry I couldn't figure out how to post the entire article. This is Metal Underground's top 5 greatest albums back to back. Dlr is #3:

3. David Lee Roth – (Eat’em and Smile, Skyscraper, A Little Ain’t Enough )

For Roth’s first initial solo record, Eat’em and Smile no one needed a hit more than Diamond Dave, and he didn’t disappoint. The lead single, “Yankee Rose” was a rocker accompanied by a video with the famous line: “I’ll take a glazed doughnut and a bottle of anything, to go.” The videos for “Yankee Rose” and “Goin’ Crazy” may be the definitive height of the spandex era thanks to Roth’s numerous costume changes, most incorporating spandex with thongs worn on the outside. Eat’em and Smile was a well balanced album with rockers like “Shy Boy” as well as the “slow it down and show Dave’s seductive side” with “Ladies Nite in Buffalo?”. There’s even a cover of “That’s Life”, displaying Roth’s show biz nature, a side only he has been able to portray without coming off too corny, or cheesy, or both.

It was 1988 when David Lee Roth would release his second full length album titled Skyscraper. Apparently between albums Dave had done a lot of rock climbing and this became either the inspiration for the album, or just an outlet for Roth to showcase his feat.
It was 1991, the height of glam/hard rock when David Lee Roth released his third full album, A Little Ain’t Enough. This album was far heavier than the previous and may be from first to last track, Roth’s most magnificent. The album delivers heavy guitars with great sounding vocals accompanied by gritty lyrics of sex, power, and more sex.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=72181

Nitro Express
10-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Eat Em and Smile is a jumbo slice of 1980's American pop art.

riggodrill44
10-02-2011, 07:43 PM
EEAS makes 5150 look like the Partridge Family. I can't remember the last time I listened to a track off 5150 willingly. Still have songs from EEAS on heavy iPod rotation. Elephant Gun! Are you kidding me? That tune makes the hole close on all the other albums in your record collection.

EEAS was Diamond Dave's way of saying, "I guess I don't need you guys after all. Jackasses."

VAiN
10-02-2011, 08:01 PM
It has to be OUruined12, FUCKED, and Balance..

Little Texan
10-05-2011, 08:47 PM
VHII, WACF, and Fair Warning.

Mikeyj122
01-14-2012, 10:01 AM
I know this is a dlr board and most people are gonna prefer him to sammy(which is fine, I do as well), but 5150, ou812, fuck, and balance are great albums that are part of the vh myth and lore and they should be appreciated and respected. Lets stop this silly dave vs sammy fued, cant we just love it all?

Va Beach VH Fan
01-14-2012, 10:04 AM
I know this is a dlr board and most people are gonna prefer him to sammy(which is fine, I do as well), but 5150, ou812, fuck, and balance are great albums that are part of the vh myth and lore and they should be appreciated and respected. Lets stop this silly dave vs sammy fued, cant we just love it all?

Um, no....

But welcome anyway....

Mikeyj122
01-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Well I like van hagar, dont get me wrong the roth stuff is better, but I enjoy the other stuff as well.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Whatever trips your trigger, just sayin', you'll be better much off around here not spouting off about the Hagaritas....

Trust me on that...

ELVIS
01-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Are You Experienced

Axis Bold As Love

Electric Ladyland

:elvis:

Mikeyj122
01-14-2012, 12:03 PM
I guess I dont really understand the animosity that sammy and da e fans have for each other. Anything that would help me better umderstand that I would appreciate.

clarathecarrot
01-14-2012, 12:04 PM
I would list Van Halen w DLR.. or Zep ( all good) in any order..I mean WTF... very few artists / bands have more than one single whole album,, I can stand ...lots have one single tune, I am a picky twizznot....and what was that whole grunge fucking thing that happened sometime ago..? I bought YFLM and nothing else durring the mid 1990's.

Glam...? That is a pretty narrow field..is Bowie Glam...? People place him there... I guess..wtf?

Yes, I am affraid of the -Kristy Quotient-.

fourthcoming
01-14-2012, 12:07 PM
I would list Van Halen w DLR.. or Zep ( all good) in any order..I mean WTF... very few artists / bands have more than one single whole album,, I can stand ...lots have one single tune, I am a picky twizznot....and what was that whole grunge fucking thing that happened sometime ago..? I bought YFLM and nothing else durring the mid 1990's.

Glam...? That is a pretty narrow field..is Bowie Glam...? People place him there... I guess..wtf?

Yes, I am affraid of the -Kristy Quotient-.

The 1990's musically were garbage...I would have to agree with you. No thank you Grunge.

fourthcoming
01-14-2012, 12:14 PM
I would also have to add as far as three albums in a row goes...

Metallica: Kill em all
Ride the lightning
Master of puppets

and every Zeppelin album up until In through the out Door......still a good album but not on par with the rest. Honorable mention to the first two Ozzy solo albums and Paranoid through Sabatoge is a killer run. First three Kiss albums are their best too in my opinion. If the Beatles never made Magical mystery tour and yellow submarine, I would list Rubber soul right up to Let it be as a great run too. First three Ramones albums are pretty damn good too. Priest...British steel, Screaming for Vengenace and Defenders of the faith rock. I love the cvh 6 pack but would have to go with vhII, women, and fair. Eat em', skyscraper, and little aint enough are up there too with skyscraper being the weakest of the three. still a great album though.

fourthcoming
01-14-2012, 01:12 PM
How the hell could I forget pretty much anything Motorhead has ever done.

Mikeyj122
01-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Since nobody ha as mentioned the I'll go with gnr appetite for destruction, lies, and use your illusions 1 & 2 technically thats 4 but that was,one hell of a run.

binnie
01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Masters of Reality

Louder Than Love
Badmotorfinger
Superunknown

nitroDave23
01-14-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm gonna cheat and do 6 consecutive, (it's the AC/DC six pack for us over at acdcfans.net)

Let There Be Rock
Powerage
Highway To Hell

and (because it's basically 2 different bands.)

Back In Black
For Those About To Rock
Flick Of The Switch

Van Halen II
Women And Children First
Fair Warning

On Through The Night
High 'N' Dry
Pyromania

I could go on...but I'll stop lol...

twonabomber
01-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Well I like van hagar, dont get me wrong the roth stuff is better, but I enjoy the other stuff as well.

good for you!

I guess I dont really understand the animosity that sammy and da e fans have for each other. Anything that would help me better umderstand that I would appreciate.

and i don't understand how people sign up here, at the fucking ROTH ARMY, and not expect to get kicked in the nuts when they try to tell us how great Sammy is, or why fans of either should get along.

maybe there should be a new sub-forum, titled Roth Army For Dummies, where we explain in very simple terms why pro-Sammy talk is not welcome here.

neuralfraud
01-14-2012, 06:47 PM
DONT FEED THE TROLLS.

Regardless of how "great" the pseudo van-halen albums may have been, we have a special area reserved JUST FOR YOU:
The Sheep Pen (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?8351-The-Sheep-Pen&highlight=sheep+pen)

binnie
01-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Back In Black
For Those About To Rock
Flick Of The Switch

I could go on...but I'll stop lol...

I'm curious. You think 'For Those...' and 'Flick...' are great records? I have a soft spot for 'Flick', but to my ears anything after 'Back In Black' was patchy at best.

Dave's Bitch
01-14-2012, 06:59 PM

You know it is going to be fun when a post starts with the immortal line "I know this is a dlr board.....":).To join the topic hows about

Megadeth - Rust in Peace,Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia
Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love,Shout At The Devil,Theatre of Pain
Aerosmith - Get Your Wings,Toys In The Attic, Rocks

binnie
01-14-2012, 07:04 PM
'Theatre of Pain'?

Even Mick Mars think that was a clunker!

Dave's Bitch
01-14-2012, 07:06 PM
'Theatre of Pain'?

Even Mick Mars think that was a clunker!

What can i say,I love glam ;)

binnie
01-14-2012, 07:14 PM
I was going to ask if you liked smokin' in the boys' room, but then I realized that could be misconstrued :D

Dave's Bitch
01-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Everybody knows that smokin' aint allowed in school ;)

neuralfraud
01-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Iron Maiden:
Number of the beast
Piece of mind
Powerslave

\m/
:winner:

sadaist
01-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Megadeth - Rust in Peace,Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia

I'd go

Peace Sells...
So Far, So Good, So What...
Rust In Peace...

And yeah, I love SF, SG, SW. Mary Jane is one of the best songs they ever recorded.

Matt White
01-14-2012, 08:45 PM
:cool:

KISS ALIVE

DESTROYER

ROCK AND ROLL OVER

You better recognize!!!!

hambon4lif
01-14-2012, 09:10 PM
VAN HALEN
Van Halen
Women And Children First
Fair Warning

AEROSMITH
Get Your Wings
Toys In The Attic
Rocks

ZZ TOP
Rio Grande Mud
Tres Hombres
Deguello

BAD COMPANY
Bad Company
Straight Shooter
Run With The Pack

SCORPIONS
LoveDrive
Animal Magnetism
Blackout

JUDAS PRIEST
Stained Class
British Steel
Screaming For Vengeance

Mikeyj122
01-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Ya I know that Im a newbie around here but ive been a memeber of many different kinds of message boards in the past, and I gotta say some of you are more intense than any other board ive ever joined. Hell on the guns n roses boards people dont get pissed just cause you mention slash. My main point is that the past is the past and we all have the trie van halen back now, lets just be happy about that. Its only rock and roll guys.

CVH Rulz
01-14-2012, 10:01 PM
lets just be happy about that. Its only rock and roll guys.

We're happy as can be...but don't expect Sammy lovers here...and don't expect everyone to forget what an ass he was in the past just because we are happy with the current events.

So this is love
01-14-2012, 10:07 PM
good for you!

And i don't understand how people sign up here, at the fucking roth army, and not expect to get kicked in the nuts when they try to tell us how great sammy is, or why fans of either should get along.

Maybe there should be a new sub-forum, titled roth army for dummies, where we explain in very simple terms why pro-sammy talk is not welcome here.

lmfao

twonabomber
01-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Ya I know that Im a newbie around here but ive been a memeber of many different kinds of message boards in the past, and I gotta say some of you are more intense than any other board ive ever joined. Hell on the guns n roses boards people dont get pissed just cause you mention slash. My main point is that the past is the past and we all have the trie van halen back now, lets just be happy about that. Its only rock and roll guys.

some people just don't fucking get it.

SNIPER
01-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Since nobody ha as mentioned the I'll go with gnr appetite for destruction, lies, and use your illusions 1 & 2 technically thats 4 but that was,one hell of a run.

UYI albums are like GnR's Van Gaygar era. I don't care if Slash was on them or not. They are turds.

SNIPER
01-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Powerslave.

So this is love
01-14-2012, 11:27 PM
UYI albums are like GnR's Van Gaygar era. I don't care if Slash was on them or not. They are turds.

wo wowowhat!!!!! I Love SLASH and Ed what the FUCK ARE you talking about???????????

nitroDave23
01-14-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm curious. You think 'For Those...' and 'Flick...' are great records? I have a soft spot for 'Flick', but to my ears anything after 'Back In Black' was patchy at best.

Hell yeah man, AC/DC were on fire in those early years with Brian.

For Those About To Rock doesn't get the love it deserves imo., it's major fault is that it's the follow up to Back In Black.No matter what they did,it wasn't going to beat it.

It also get's knocked for the production, and I admit, it's the most "over produced" AC/DC album to date,but it suits the songs, Mutt Lange fucking nailed it.

The drums are powerful,the guitars are fat and razor sharp,and Brian's voice is mixed perfectly to match.

Evil Walks,Snowballed,Inject The Venom,the title track,Let's Get It Up,Put The Finger On You,C.O.D. and Spell Bound are amazingly well written songs.

The only filler really is Breaking The Rules and Knight Of The Long Knives,and to me they aren't even THAT bad.

My opinion is very biased though,lol as AC/DC,KISS,and Van Halen(ROTH) are my 3 top bands.....I'm into every AC/DC album.

As for Flick Of The Switch,they went back to basics and it's pure raw badass rock 'n' roll, and I love every minute of it.

SNIPER
01-14-2012, 11:30 PM
wo wowowhat!!!!! I love slash and ed what the fuck are you talking about???????????

uyi sucks balls just like van hagar you fucking dumb ass!!

ashstralia
01-14-2012, 11:36 PM
i agree w/ nitrodave... for those about to rock is full of gems. crank up 'snowballed', my new band is gonna use that as our set opener.

ashstralia
01-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Powerslave.

neuralfraud beat ya to it, dude! :)

SNIPER
01-14-2012, 11:40 PM
neuralfraud beat ya to it, dude! :)

Ah. Didn't see that. My bad.

SNIPER
01-14-2012, 11:43 PM
The Legacy, The New Order, Practice What You Preach

nitroDave23
01-14-2012, 11:48 PM
I agree with the Bad Company post too, great set of albums there.

I'll also add:

Ozzy Osbourne
Blizzard Of Ozz
Diary Of A Madman
Bark At The Moon

FORD
01-15-2012, 12:13 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aX9SbGOS-Ks/SeNKXt4g0NI/AAAAAAAAFMA/q_KXo4eiRYE/s400/0---------77%27s%2520-%2520seventy%2520sevensgdmac.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aX9SbGOS-Ks/SeM89fPLNsI/AAAAAAAAFLY/u52Fjc8cxmE/s400/0-------77%27s%2520-%2520pray%2520nakedgdmac.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aX9SbGOS-Ks/SeNMBPhIyoI/AAAAAAAAFMg/ItwIQR2Xb5s/s400/0---------080688289522.jpg

fourthcoming
01-15-2012, 12:36 AM
use your illusion should have been cut down to 10 or 11 songs tops.

Dave's Bitch
01-15-2012, 03:46 AM
I'd go

Peace Sells...
So Far, So Good, So What...
Rust In Peace...

And yeah, I love SF, SG, SW. Mary Jane is one of the best songs they ever recorded.

I was thinking that but to my mind Countdown and Youthanasia were more well received.To be honest i love every album (i can even listen to risk).Mary Jane is a great song,I love Liar and 502 makes me smile "pull over shit head,it's the cops" :)

sadaist
01-15-2012, 04:16 AM
I was thinking that but to my mind Countdown and Youthanasia were more well received.To be honest i love every album (i can even listen to risk).Mary Jane is a great song,I love Liar and 502 makes me smile "pull over shit head,it's the cops" :)

Yeah. They were more commercially successful during that time period, but I just can't have any Megadeth list without Peace Sells. Just can't. As for Risk...LOL. I hace it in my trucks cd wallet. Was just spinning it a couple days ago.

Dave's Bitch
01-15-2012, 04:23 AM
I would make the argument any 3 album's up to countdown would be a good fit in here.After that is where the big changes started.One thing i must ask,Crush 'em yes or no?

Dave's Bitch
01-15-2012, 04:36 AM
Now i was going to say for a laugh what about

Poison - Look What The Cat Dragged In, Open Up and Say Ahh!, Flesh and Blood

Check number 4 on the link.....

sadaist
01-15-2012, 04:39 AM
One thing i must ask,Crush 'em yes or no?

Totally fun song. Tailor made for NFL games. I liken it to Parental Guidance from Judas Priest or Enter Sandman. Extremely commercial tune, not even trying to hide the fact, but still heavy fun.

Not deep like My Last Words or intricate guitar work as in Black Friday, but a fun tune nonetheless.

*I kinda put it in same category as Prince Of Darkness.....which I also dig.

sadaist
01-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Ah. Didn't see that. My bad.

That's ok. That 3-stretch of Maiden deserves to be listed several times. It was that fucking stellar.

Dave's Bitch
01-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Nailed it,it is a fun song.Sometimes play it when im watching packers highlights:).Dave has said it was never really a Megadeth song,it was a hockey song but it found a way onto the album.I think it is fun and i can dance to it,so it's a winner in my book

ashstralia
01-15-2012, 05:24 AM
That's ok. That 3-stretch of Maiden deserves to be listed several times. It was that fucking stellar.

killer, sada. and the 2008 'somewhere back in time' tour, which included many songs that weren't even written when i first saw them in '82 was completely kickass.
barney and i in the front row, had our eyebrows singed by the pyrotechnics.

iron maiden deserve massive kudos for still existing, and taking their music to the world.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-15-2012, 07:20 AM
VAN HALEN
Van Halen
Women And Children First
Fair Warning

ZZ TOP
Rio Grande Mud
Tres Hombres
Deguello

Shouldn't the 3 albums initially be chronologically in a row?

Then it's hard as far as VH, because you can't include FW unless you take VH1 out,
and vice-versa...

ZZ TOP:

First Album
Rio Grande Mud (my fave ever)
Tres Hombres

J. GEILS BAND

Bloodshot
Nightmares
Hotline

AC/DC

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap
Let there be rock
Powerage

twonabomber
01-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Totally fun song. Tailor made for NFL games.

Mustaine is a Phoenix Coyotes fan and offered the song to the NHL, but the other leagues use it too.

binnie
01-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah. They were more commercially successful during that time period, but I just can't have any Megadeth list without Peace Sells. Just can't. As for Risk...LOL. I hace it in my trucks cd wallet. Was just spinning it a couple days ago.

Peace Sells is the best Megadeth album, IMO. Gar Samuels gave them a fludity that just made those times changes savage. No other thrash band had that.

I reviewed 'So far, so Good, So What?' in the 'Album Review' thread. It's the underrated gem in their arsenal....

sadaist
01-15-2012, 12:32 PM
The Cult

Love
Electric
Sonic Temple

binnie
01-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Hell yeah man, AC/DC were on fire in those early years with Brian.

For Those About To Rock doesn't get the love it deserves imo., it's major fault is that it's the follow up to Back In Black.No matter what they did,it wasn't going to beat it.

It also get's knocked for the production, and I admit, it's the most "over produced" AC/DC album to date,but it suits the songs, Mutt Lange fucking nailed it.

The drums are powerful,the guitars are fat and razor sharp,and Brian's voice is mixed perfectly to match.

Evil Walks,Snowballed,Inject The Venom,the title track,Let's Get It Up,Put The Finger On You,C.O.D. and Spell Bound are amazingly well written songs.

The only filler really is Breaking The Rules and Knight Of The Long Knives,and to me they aren't even THAT bad.

My opinion is very biased though,lol as AC/DC,KISS,and Van Halen(ROTH) are my 3 top bands.....I'm into every AC/DC album.

As for Flick Of The Switch,they went back to basics and it's pure raw badass rock 'n' roll, and I love every minute of it.

For my money, those albums are good not great. If they really were classics, the band would play more songs off them in their set.

Compared to 'Blow Up Your Video' and 'Fly On The Wall', however, they are works of genius - the decline of mid-80s AC/DC compared to the 'Powerage' and 'Let There Be Rock' is staggering.....

binnie
01-15-2012, 12:39 PM
The Cult

Love
Electric
Sonic Temple

BOOM!!

Three albums. Three completely distinct sounds. The same aesthetic.

I can't think of another band who can do that....

nitroDave23
01-15-2012, 02:12 PM
For my money, those albums are good not great. If they really were classics, the band would play more songs off them in their set.

Compared to 'Blow Up Your Video' and 'Fly On The Wall', however, they are works of genius - the decline of mid-80s AC/DC compared to the 'Powerage' and 'Let There Be Rock' is staggering.....

It's a crime that they DON'T play more songs from them, the albums are classics.

Fly On The Wall and BUYV are decent,but not fantastic.

nitroDave23
01-15-2012, 02:13 PM
The production on them is what really ruins them, too much reverb on Brian,and it sounds like Simon is playing drums on a cardboard box with wooden spoons.

As for the bass, well....I think Cliff Williams must have went out for lunch during the recording sessions,cause you can't really hear him at all.

FORD
01-15-2012, 02:18 PM
http://www.thealarm.com/wp-content/uploads/1983/06/21C010-300x300.jpg http://www.thealarm.com/wp-content/uploads/1984/02/declaration-300x300.jpg http://www.thealarm.com/wp-content/uploads/1985/10/strength1.jpg

hambon4lif
01-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Shouldn't the 3 albums initially be chronologically in a row?

Then it's hard as far as VH, because you can't include FW unless you take VH1 out,
and vice-versa... You're probably right, I think it is supposed to be chronological. But my interpretation of this is....'which 3 albums from any given group would I listen to back-to-back', and I'm a legend, which means I have poetic license. In other words, it means I could pretty much do whatever the fuck I want.:lmao:

Damnit!! I can't believe I forgot the Trick!!

CHEAP TRICK
In Color
Heaven Tonight
Dream Police

SunisinuS
01-15-2012, 04:52 PM

That is all:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?64191-Glad-to-finally-be-a-member!

Mikeyj122
01-15-2012, 05:08 PM
some people just don't fucking get it.

Your absolutly right, I dont get it. Sammy didnt kick dave out of van halen. If anything you guys should be more mad at eddie and alex than anyone. But what you cant because they got back together. Sounds like you guys just need something to bitch about.

FORD
01-15-2012, 05:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rooPPLtK9pg

vandeleur
01-15-2012, 05:21 PM
http://www.thealarm.com/wp-content/uploads/1983/06/21C010-300x300.jpg http://www.thealarm.com/wp-content/uploads/1984/02/declaration-300x300.jpg http://www.thealarm.com/wp-content/uploads/1985/10/strength1.jpg

The stand ep and declaration ? left field choices/giant piss take

Mikeyj122
01-15-2012, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=SNIPER;1595056]UYI albums are like GnR's Van Gaygar era. I don't care if Slash was on them or not. They are turds.[/QU

Well clearly you have awful taste in music. Calling uyi albums turds, really? But you like iron maiden? Iron maiden is ok, but they dont even belong in the same conversation as guns n roses. And as far as the illusion albims go civil war, you could be mine, double talkin jive, coma, get in the ring, right next door to hell, just to name a couple. And those tunes are harervand bettervthan anything iron maiden ever did. I didnt even include november rain, estranged, and dont cry cause they are "ballads" even though they still kick major ass. Next time talk with your mouth not your ass.

chefcraig
01-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Your absolutly right, I dont get it. Sammy didnt kick dave out of van halen. If anything you guys should be more mad at eddie and alex than anyone. But what you cant because they got back together. Sounds like you guys just need something to bitch about.

Wow, you really don't know what you are talking about. For over a decade now, folks at this forum have referred to Ed and Al Van Halen as the sisters, mainly for their unctuous behavior and insistence upon avoiding the truth whenever it suits them. For years they have repeatedly played the group's fans for a pack of fools, and no amount of publicity at this point (including a new album and tour) is going to make anyone forget that. In my opinion, they deserve every bit of scorn, derision and general doubt thrown their way, as they have gone out of their way over the years to earn every single ounce of it.

And no one here is mad at Sammy Hagar. He's more or less a non-entity that manages to embarrass himself (and anyone connected with him) on a continual basis, and therefor is worthy more of pity than outright contempt. You can't be pissed off at a barking dog, you should be angry with the retards that own the animal. In this case, it is the Van Halen brothers that unleashed Hagar upon the world. Without them, he'd be working at car shows with David Hasselhoff and Adam West.

FORD
01-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Well clearly you have awful taste in music. Calling uyi albums turds, really? But you like iron maiden? Iron maiden is ok, but they dont even belong in the same conversation as guns n roses. And as far as the illusion albims go civil war, you could be mine, double talkin jive, coma, get in the ring, right next door to hell, just to name a couple. And those tunes are harervand bettervthan anything iron maiden ever did. I didnt even include november rain, estranged, and dont cry cause they are "ballads" even though they still kick major ass. Next time talk with your mouth not your ass.

Anusewski? Is that you??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_39lO0B8fGI

SNIPER
01-15-2012, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=SNIPER;1595056]UYI albums are like GnR's Van Gaygar era. I don't care if Slash was on them or not. They are turds.[/QU

Okay there are 3 good songs from UYI . You are in a DLR page. Now shut the fuck up or go back to your AXL lovers cover band page.

Mikeyj122
01-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Oh I forgot Iron maiden is also a rock n roll hall of fame member, firt ballot I beileive. Even van halen didnt make it in on their first go around.

ThrillsNSpills
01-15-2012, 05:43 PM
are we gonna need an eyebrow check in aisle 5?

ThrillsNSpills
01-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Actually the Garden with Alice Cooper is a good one from Use your Illusion.

SNIPER
01-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Oh I forgot Iron maiden is also a rock n roll hall of fame member, firt ballot I beileive. Even van halen didnt make it in on their first go around.

:finger33:

vandeleur
01-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Coma was the best on either uyi .... IMO

SNIPER
01-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Actually the Garden with Alice Cooper is a good one from Use your Illusion.

Yes. That is on my list for the 3.

binnie
01-15-2012, 05:50 PM
The Illusions records were too ambitious. Boil 'em down to one killr record and you have something much more palletable.

VHscraps
01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Van Halen
Van Halen II
Women and Children First
Fair Warning

and off the top of my head ...

Rolling Stones No.1
Beggar's Banquet (1968)
Let It Bleed (1969)
Sticky Fingers (1971)

Rolling Stones No.2
Sticky Fingers (1971)
Exile on Main Street (1972)
Goat's Head Soup (1973)

Blue Oyster Cult
Blue Oyster Cult (1972)
Tyranny and Mutation (1973)
Secret Treaties (1974)

chefcraig
01-15-2012, 05:57 PM
The Illusions records were too ambitious. Boil 'em down to one killr record and you have something much more palletable.

Oddly enough, I recall seeing such a thing at a KMart (of all places) 6-7 years ago. It had a hybrid cover, juxtaposing the two covers into one. You can see it at this LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Use-Your-Illusion-Guns-Roses/dp/B00000DAHK), but the track listing is incorrect and is for the first volume, not the compilation. Here is the correct listing:

1. Live and Let Die
2. Don't Cry (original)
3. You Ain't the First
4. November Rain
5. The Garden
6. Dead Horse
7. Civil War
8. 14 Years
9. Yesterdays
10. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
11. Estranged
12. Don't Cry (alt.)

binnie
01-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Not the songs I'd choose, but interesting someone put it out......

chefcraig
01-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Not the songs I'd choose, but interesting someone put it out......

It really is a grab bag, without much thought or insight applied to the track selection. My guess is this was a move by the label to get the album into department stores, which have notoriously limited space and selection. Rather than asking the stores to buy both albums (and risk getting refused), this was thrown together and issued as a compromise.

FORD
01-15-2012, 06:15 PM

Maybe we can bitch about electric bills instead?

The charges on my electric bill are a rip off. Delivery fee's like energy delivery fee, meter read fee WHAT? I have to pay DTE employee's too??? Renewable energy fee, nuclear waste fee or something like that.
Posted by Michael Januszewski October 31, 2011 at 10:25 AM

ThrillsNSpills
01-15-2012, 06:18 PM
I still fucking hate it whenever I see a music store closing. You'd figure I'd be used to it by now, but when Borders went I had the same reaction. Now the companies are going to phase out CDs altogether.
instead we get digital samples of tracks. doesn't sit well with me.

Anyway, it's interesting that that was a Geffen release. I figured some one just said fuck this and made their own. :)

binnie
01-15-2012, 06:20 PM
It really is a grab bag, without much thought or insight applied to the track selection. My guess is this was a move by the label to get the album into department stores, which have notoriously limited space and selection. Rather than asking the stores to buy both albums (and risk getting refused), this was thrown together and issued as a compromise.

Looks like someone just put on the singles together on one disc.

Mikeyj122
01-15-2012, 06:53 PM
:finger33:

Lol!!!

Mikeyj122
01-15-2012, 07:01 PM
I agree that they were a bit ambitious, but I would rather an artist release too much music than not enough. Oddly enough gnr has been guilty of both of these. if it wouldvhave,been just one album it would have been possably the best rock album ever.

My ultimate use your illusions would have been
1. Right next door to hell
2. Dust n bones
3. Dont cry
4. Knockin on heavens door
5. Get in the ring
6. You could be mine
7. Double talkjn jive
8. Breakdown
9. Estranged
10. Dead horse
11. Live and let die
12. November rain
13. Civil war
14. Coma

twonabomber
01-15-2012, 07:06 PM

Maiden is not in the R&RHOF yet.

Van Halen DID make it in on their first ballot, but not their first year of eligibility.

Maybe we can bitch about electric bills instead?

i hate the bullshit "delivery" fees, too. from April to October, i spend more on the delivery fee than i do for my actual gas usage. and then those fuckers try to blow up my house!

Mikeyj122
01-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Maiden is not in the R&RHOF yet.

Van Halen DID make it in on their first ballot, but not their first year of eligibility.

I know I was being sarcastic. Van halen should have been first ballor, first year. Its just a really rare thing and gnr did it this year. Say what you you will about them, they were and are one of the most imporatnt hard rock bands,of all time. For the record I do like iron maiden, but some of their stuff is too far out there. If I,ant to listen to spacy music , pink floyd mastered that art.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-15-2012, 07:18 PM
mainly for their unctuous behavior

Damn, this thread's getting deep.... ;)

twonabomber
01-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Technically, the Police, Prince, and VH all should have been inducted in 2003, their first year of eligibility. probably would have been too much show for one night, i would have liked it though.

chefcraig
01-15-2012, 07:22 PM

Hell, JJ started a thread with the word conundrum in the title. I'm just trying to keep up.

Mikeyj122
01-15-2012, 07:28 PM

You can blame it on me. But hey at least im not talking aboit everybodys favorite red rocker.:winkglasses:

JJtheVagPounder
01-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Hell, JJ started a thread with the word conundrum in the title. I'm just trying to keep up.

Oh I don't know what any of the words I use mean. I just kind of throw shit at a wall and see what sticks, ya dig?

chefcraig
01-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Oh I don't know what any of the words I use mean. I just kind of throw shit at a wall and see what sticks, ya dig?

Yeah, I got that impression when you spelled conundrum as cunundrum. Of course, I fixed it for ya, that's what friends are for. :lol:

nitroDave23
01-15-2012, 07:39 PM

lol!!! classic...

Mikeyj122
01-15-2012, 07:40 PM
To get back on topic though

aerosmith
Get your wings
Toys in the attic
Rocks

Pump
Get a grip (honerable mention)

Pink floyd
Darkside
Wish you were here
Animals
The wall (i know its 4 but cant leave any out)

Led zeppelin
I- in through the out door, all 8 albums are amazing.

Van halen
I- ou812 (i know you all hate 5150 & ou812, but its,my list.

JJtheVagPounder
01-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I got that impression when you spelled conundrum as cunundrum. Of course, I fixed it for ya, that's what friends are for. :lol:

This is why we make a good team, Chef.

SNIPER
01-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Technically, the Police, Prince, and VH all should have been inducted in 2003, their first year of eligibility. probably would have been too much show for one night, i would have liked it though.

Could you imagine if VH did get in it in 03? That could have been a disaster. Ed would have showed up looking and acting like he did for Namm that year.

SNIPER
01-15-2012, 07:50 PM
:hail:
The Legacy
The New Order
Practice What You Preach

gbranton
01-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love,Shout At The Devil,Theatre of Pain

On my list.

Iron Maiden:
Number of the beast
Piece of mind
Powerslave

On my list.

KISS ALIVE

DESTROYER

ROCK AND ROLL OVER

On my list, I'm a big KISS fan.

Ozzy Osbourne:Blizzard Of Ozz
Diary Of A Madman
Bark At The Moon

I'm in on this.

Rolling Stones No.1
Beggar's Banquet (1968)
Let It Bleed (1969)
Sticky Fingers (1971)

Rolling Stones No.2
Sticky Fingers (1971)
Exile on Main Street (1972)
Goat's Head Soup (1973)

This too! Huge Stones fan.

I'll add: Europe

Start From The Dark
Secret Society
Last Look At Eden

Va Beach VH Fan
01-15-2012, 08:32 PM
You can blame it on me. But hey at least im not talking aboit everybodys favorite red rocker.:winkglasses:

Mikey, you seem familiar to me....

Were you here before under a different username? Or maybe at the Links?

Mikeyj122
01-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Nope, first time here. But I do frequent a few other message boards. Why am I,wearing out my welcome already?

Va Beach VH Fan
01-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Nope, first time here. But I do frequent a few other message boards. Why am I,wearing out my welcome already?

Oh OK, must've been someone else....

SNIPER
01-15-2012, 08:51 PM
:cop: Can you step out of your car sir?

FORD
01-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Well, since the Police were already brought up in this thread, their first three albums were pretty damn good.....

http://cdn.thepolice.com/non_secure/images/20101108/discography/2205834b23/250.jpghttp://cdn.thepolice.com/non_secure/images/20101108/discography/40d31f8676/250.jpghttp://cdn.thepolice.com/non_secure/images/20101104/discography/zenyattamondatta/250.jpg

The two after that weren't bad either, but Synchronicity is kinda comparable to VH's 1984, in that it might have had the most hit singles, but that doesn't make it their best album.

SNIPER
01-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Stewart Copeland is a bad ass mo fo!

binnie
01-16-2012, 03:16 AM
Pump
Get a grip (honerable mention)

Bwahahahahahahahahha!

Come on, man. Those are decent enough albums if you like the 'Aerosmith gets middle-aged' period. But 'great'? Really? You must admit that they're a long, long way from 'Toys.....', right?

Dave's Bitch
01-16-2012, 04:38 AM
If you look at them and consider the emerging grunge scene on the horizon of pump and in full swing during get a grip,i would say they are great rock albums

binnie
01-16-2012, 05:11 AM
I think we need to be careful about the term 'Great', here.

'Pump' may be full of some fine tunes, but it's a long way from 'Rocks', isn't it? To me, 'Great' has connotations of capturing a moment in time or having a significant impact on music. I don't think 'Pump' did either (but 'Rocks' did).

It's not insulting an album to say that it's 'good'.

Zing!
01-16-2012, 07:36 AM
If not for the turd 'The Soft Parade' right in the middle, The Doors would have:

The Doors
Strange Days
Waiting For The Sun

Morrison Hotel
LA Woman

Mikeyj122
01-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Oh I avree that they arnt as good as the early stuff, but they were really good rock n roll albums for their time. And I did say honerable mention, cause to me those are the five best aerosmith albums. Im sorry but I think the first album is ok, draw the line and night in the ruys are ok, and done with mirrors and perminate vactati ok n are ok. Get your wings, toys, rocks, pump, and get a grip are the 5 best aerosmith albums.

BITEYOASS
01-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Queen:

Sheer Heart Attack
A Night at The Opera
A Day at The Races

binnie
01-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Oh I avree that they arnt as good as the early stuff, but they were really good rock n roll albums for their time. And I did say honerable mention, cause to me those are the five best aerosmith albums. Im sorry but I think the first album is ok, draw the line and night in the ruys are ok, and done with mirrors and perminate vactati ok n are ok. Get your wings, toys, rocks, pump, and get a grip are the 5 best aerosmith albums.

To each their own, I guess, 'cos I think 'Get Your Wings' blows the ears off anything on that list bar 'Toys' and 'Rocks'.

nitroDave23
01-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Im sorry but I think the first album is ok,

What??? The first Aerosmith album kicks ass from start to finish,

Pump and Get A Grip are good,but not great...not a patch on the 70's stuff.

sadaist
01-16-2012, 02:10 PM

Isn't that what Jackson Pollack did? I like your drawings better than his.

Mikeyj122
01-16-2012, 04:19 PM
I do like the first aerosmith album, I would prolly put it at 6 behind the ones Oi already mentioned.

fourthcoming
01-16-2012, 04:53 PM

Dude, Appetite for Destruction is a perfect album....it's great. I'll even give you Lies....some good stuff on there even though one half of it is Live like a suicide which was released before Appetite. And btw, the live half of Lies is bullshit....it's studio tracks with crowd noise pumped in. That being said, Use your illusion is better than anything Iron Maiden ever did? R U SERIOUS? Songs like estranged, don't cry and november rain were the some of Guns and Roses worst tunes ever made. Use your Illusion should have been cut down to one 10 song album and Appetite still would have blown it away. Iron Maiden have been kicking ass for practically 40 years. They have always been true professionals.....something Guns never were or will be. I love Appetite for Destruction but let's take it easy.....they are no Iron Maiden even on their best day. Your completely entitled to your opinion but next time talk with your mouth not your ass.

SNIPER
01-16-2012, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=Mikeyj122;1595354]

Dude, Appetite for Destruction is a perfect album....it's great. I'll even give you Lies....some good stuff on there even though one half of it is Live like a suicide which was released before Appetite. And btw, the live half of Lies is bullshit....it's studio tracks with crowd noise pumped in. That being said, Use your illusion is better than anything Iron Maiden ever did? R U SERIOUS? Songs like estranged, don't cry and november rain were the some of Guns and Roses worst tunes ever made. Use your Illusion should have been cut down to one 10 song album and Appetite still would have blown it away. Iron Maiden have been kicking ass for practically 40 years. They have always been true professionals.....something Guns never were or will be. I love Appetite for Destruction but let's take it easy.....they are no Iron Maiden even on their best day. Your completely entitled to your opinion but next time talk with your mouth not your ass.

And that about sums that up nicely I might add.:cheer:

fourthcoming
01-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Sniper....man, I'm not usually antagonistic here, but I couldn't let it go bro.....not to mention after you listed 3 Testament albums, I felt compelled dude.

SNIPER
01-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Thank you sir, You spoke the truth.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Well, since the Police were already brought up in this thread, their first three albums were pretty damn good.....

http://cdn.thepolice.com/non_secure/images/20101108/discography/2205834b23/250.jpghttp://cdn.thepolice.com/non_secure/images/20101108/discography/40d31f8676/250.jpghttp://cdn.thepolice.com/non_secure/images/20101104/discography/zenyattamondatta/250.jpg

The two after that weren't bad either, but Synchronicity is kinda comparable to VH's 1984, in that it might have had the most hit singles, but that doesn't make it their best album.

The first two albums were great, especially Regatta de Blanc whick kicks ass - apart from the 6-pack, I've played no other album more than this one -, but Zenyatta Mondatta is a weak link IMO...
Except "Behind my camel", "Driven to tears" and "Don't stand so close", the other tracks sound soft and almost boring, compared to Outlandos and Regatta... I like Ghost in the Machine a lot, would have made a proper third piece in a trilogy.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-16-2012, 06:35 PM
LED ZEPPELIN
II
III
IV

DEEP PURPLE
In Rock
Fireball
Machine Head

The STOOGES
The Stooges
Funhouse
Raw Power

Mikeyj122
01-16-2012, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=Mikeyj122;1595354]

Iron maiden is ok, but that kind of shit metal I dont have a lot of time for. They fall somewhere in between sabbath and mwtallica and not as good as either. Ill let axl speak. http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=4oox72ks4&reload=3#/watch?v=V593MMT-DLY

Mikeyj122
01-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Im more into rnr than metal anyways. I like melody in my music and a lot of metal bands (not all) lack that. Ill take zeppelin, gnr, van halen, acdc, aerosmith, pink floyd, and hendrix over anything that "metal" has ever produced.

SNIPER
01-16-2012, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=fourthcoming;1595992]

Iron maiden is ok, but that kind of shit metal I dont have a lot of time for. They fall somewhere in between sabbath and mwtallica and not as good as either. Ill let axl speak. http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=4oox72ks4&reload=3#/watch?v=V593MMT-DLY

:doh:

SNIPER
01-16-2012, 07:07 PM
I can only imagine how I sounded when I first came around here. Sorry guys. I really am. Please forgive me. :ashamed:

Mikeyj122
01-16-2012, 07:38 PM
I can only imagine how I sounded when I first came around here. Sorry guys. I really am. Please forgive me. :ashamed:

You're forgiven.

SNIPER
01-16-2012, 11:10 PM
You're forgiven.

Not meant for you.

FORD
01-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Has anybody mentioned these three yet?

http://img.wax.fm/releases/1549820/rolling-stones-let-it-bleed-1811381.jpeghttp://images.wax.fm/rolling_stones_sticky_fingers-COC59100-1292148033.jpeghttp://theseconddisc.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/exile-on-main-st.jpg

binnie
01-17-2012, 03:11 AM
Im more into rnr than metal anyways. I like melody in my music and a lot of metal bands (not all) lack that. Ill take zeppelin, gnr, van halen, acdc, aerosmith, pink floyd, and hendrix over anything that "metal" has ever produced.

I wonder how much 'metal' you've actually listened to in order to form that opinion. The notion that there is an absence of melody in Iron Maiden is laughable....

ashstralia
01-17-2012, 03:38 AM
totally agree bin. and although i've never been a huge fan, there's plenty of melody in judas priest also. maybe they're the ones he's on about. :)

VHscraps
01-17-2012, 03:54 AM
Has anybody mentioned these three yet?

http://img.wax.fm/releases/1549820/rolling-stones-let-it-bleed-1811381.jpeghttp://images.wax.fm/rolling_stones_sticky_fingers-COC59100-1292148033.jpeghttp://theseconddisc.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/exile-on-main-st.jpg

Indeedio, I did - but I reckon you could also pick the three beginning with Beggars Banquet, I love that album. (And I prefer it in the original, i.e., 'non-original' RSVP, sleeve!)

Or, even, begin the three with Sticky Fingers, and end with Goats Head Soup.

Dave's Bitch
01-17-2012, 04:20 AM

Megadeth?

Dave's Bitch
01-17-2012, 04:24 AM
[QUOTE=fourthcoming;1595992]

Perhaps you have not been hearing the same Maiden as the rest of us

ashstralia
01-17-2012, 04:59 AM
the flight 666 package of the 'somewhere back in time' tour cemented maiden's legendariness as if it wasn't already apparent. also p.u.m.p. is a great album.

fourthcoming
01-17-2012, 07:40 AM
Why am I being quoted for Mikey's rediculous Iron Maiden post?......I love Maiden!!!!!!.....lol...Am I just being a moron newbie or is there a way for people to actually change who said what in the quotes?...and Mikey...I hear what your saying about loving melody....I love great vocals and great melodies....that's why Maiden is great. The only metal I really can't deal with is screamo and death metal. I need vocals I can understand in my metal. I will listen to almost anything except country, rap and death metal. Great musicianship in some of that death metal stuff but no vocals. I have always loved bands like Zep, VH, Priest, Maiden, Testament, Metallica, Sabbath, Motorhead.....etc but at the same time I love the Beatles and the Stones and Hendrix and even U2. I'm sure I'll take some flak about liking U2...lol. Grew up with cvh though...they will always be my band.

Mikeyj122
01-17-2012, 09:14 AM
I dont hate iron maiden, they are ok in my book, just not my cup of tea. And I know that they have melody, they werent who I was talking aboit. I just mean as a whole, metal is just very dry. There are some that I love metallica, sabvath, priest is ok, basicallu all meral to come along after 1992 is all crap. Its "hard" just to be hard. Its all very life less and I could care less about it. Musical diversity shows true talent, thats why when bands like zeppelin and gnr throw "softer" songs out there, I like it. As great as welcome to the jingle or whole lotta love are, if the whole album soinded like that it would suck.

Mr Walker
01-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Sweet Fanny Adams
Desolation Boulevard
Give Us A Wink

Ok... maybe Give Us A Wink is a stretch, but just based on the fact that it contains 'Action' covers up the weaker parts.

Mr Walker
01-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Tumbleweed Connection
Madman Across The Water
Honky Chateau

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Caribou
Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy

Mr Walker
01-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Jailbreak
Johnny The Fox
Bad Reputation

Mr Walker
01-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Welcome To Hell
Black Metal
At War With Satan

There, I just won... might as well close the thread now!

binnie
01-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Jailbreak
Johnny The Fox
Bad Reputation

Now we're talking.

Johnny The Fox is criminally underated....

binnie
01-17-2012, 09:33 AM
welcome to hell
black metal
at war with satan

there, i just won... Might as well close the thread now!

'lay down your souls to the gods rock 'n' roll'!!!!!

chefcraig
01-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Tumbleweed Connection
Madman Across The Water
Honky Chateau

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Caribou
Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy

Of the remarkable string of studio albums between 1970's Elton John and 1980's 21 at 33, I'd say the only weak links are Caribou (1974) and the Bernie Taupin-less A Single Man, from 1978. The less said about that ghastly, misdirected and unlistenable disco album Victim of Love (issued about 3 years too late in 1979), the better.

fourthcoming
01-17-2012, 10:55 AM
I dont hate iron maiden, they are ok in my book, just not my cup of tea. And I know that they have melody, they werent who I was talking aboit. I just mean as a whole, metal is just very dry. There are some that I love metallica, sabvath, priest is ok, basicallu all meral to come along after 1992 is all crap. Its "hard" just to be hard. Its all very life less and I could care less about it. Musical diversity shows true talent, thats why when bands like zeppelin and gnr throw "softer" songs out there, I like it. As great as welcome to the jingle or whole lotta love are, if the whole album soinded like that it would suck.

It's all good bro....everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm sure at the very least you and I can both agree that Limp Biscuit blows.

Mikeyj122
01-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Yes limb bizkit blows momkey turds, sorry damn android alwaus fin up my spelling

Mr. Vengeance
01-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Alice Cooper Band
-Love it To Death
-Killer
- School's Out

Mr. Vengeance
01-17-2012, 06:31 PM
The Clash
- The Clash
- Give 'em Enough Rope
- London Calling

Mr. Vengeance
01-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Krokus
- Hardware
- One Vice at a Time
- Headhunter

Mr. Vengeance
01-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Slayer
- Reign in Blood
- South of Heaven
- Seasons in the Abyss

VHscraps
01-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Three fine albums, I reckon - they were supposed to form a trilogy: morning, day, and night (as per the titles)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/Musicforthemorningafter.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/Dayiforgot.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7c/PeteYornNightcrawler.jpg

neuralfraud
01-17-2012, 10:45 PM

Obvious troll..

...is obvious... fuck where's that pic when i need it?

Iron Maiden may well be the world's BEST rock/metal band PERIOD. Iron Maiden continues to be an extremely successful act that has managed to transcend generations, filling stadiums WORLD WIDE. What they've done with essentially zero radio play is simply amazing and you're going to try and piss on that by stating that GNR, a band who on a good day has only 40% worth of listenable material is somehow magnitudes better?

neuralfraud
01-17-2012, 10:46 PM
whoa.. dont know what happened there, but obviously im replying to MikeyJ122.. lol

neuralfraud
01-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Dude. Venom! I can't tell what any of their music sounds like but it sure kicks ass!

Welcome To Hell
Black Metal
At War With Satan

There, I just won... might as well close the thread now!

FORD
01-17-2012, 10:57 PM
http://ramonesworld.com/site/records/ramones.jpghttp://ramonesworld.com/site/records/leavehome.jpghttp://ramonesworld.com/site/records/rockettorussia.jpg

binnie
01-18-2012, 05:42 AM
Alice Cooper Band
-Love it To Death
-Killer
- School's Out

That's a contender right there. I just hit myself on the head for not thinking of that....

binnie
01-18-2012, 05:43 AM
Three fine albums, I reckon - they were supposed to form a trilogy: morning, day, and night (as per the titles)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/Musicforthemorningafter.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/Dayiforgot.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7c/PeteYornNightcrawler.jpg

Don't know anything about this guy, but I'm intrigued. What's he sound like?

VHscraps
01-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Don't know anything about this guy, but I'm intrigued. What's he sound like?

Kinda guitar pop / rock, mostly kind of mid-tempo, ballad-y. Occasionally country-ish - prob more Sunday afternoon than Saturday night, y'know.

From first album:

From second album:

A single from the time of the third, but not on the album:

78/84 guy
01-18-2012, 06:28 PM
The 6 pack VH
All of Zeppelin
all Rory Gallagher

fourthcoming
01-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Just a quick sidebar as i'm sitting in my living room watching the Lemme movie....Give me any Motorhead album and I'll be happy.

Pennypacker
01-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Iron Maiden:
Number of the beast
Piece of mind
Powerslave

\m/
:winner:

I was just going to post this...

You can even add Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son to this and it can be the best 5 albums in a row!

Sarge
01-19-2012, 10:21 PM
This has probably been mentioned, but Boston's first three albums were all stellar!

Pennypacker
01-19-2012, 10:26 PM
This has probably been mentioned, but Boston's first three albums were all stellar!

I agree with the first 2 but the 3rd is iffy for me. The 10 year gap between Boston and Third Stage may have something to do with the rather dry material, however it opens with a great song and Delp sounds amazing on the whole album. Maybe I'll give it another listen...

Mr. Vengeance
01-20-2012, 08:33 PM

Meh...Third Stage was not great and waiting so long?....nah.

rocking ron
01-21-2012, 05:48 PM
KROKUS : Metal Rendez-Vous VAN HALEN : VH II
Hardware Fair Warning
One Vice at a Time 1984

SAXON : Wheels of Steel Y & T : Earthshaker
Strong Arm of the Law Mean Streak
Power & the Glory Black Tiger

Pennypacker
01-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Facelift
Dirt
AiC

chi-town324
01-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Facelift
Dirt
AiC

great choice

binnie
01-22-2012, 06:01 PM
It is a great choice, although 'Alice In Chains' wasn't a patch on the first two.....

Pennypacker
01-23-2012, 01:28 AM
It is a great choice, although 'Alice In Chains' wasn't a patch on the first two.....

I think Grind and Sludge Factory would've fit perfectly on Facelift, and Heaven Beside You on Dirt. But I agree, a few great tracks, but not as solid.

FORD
01-23-2012, 12:08 PM

Third Stage was good, but it probably would have been better if it came out in 1980 or 81 like it should have, instead of the ridiculous 6 year gap.

(Which is kind of crazy to complain about, considering we're about to hear the first Van Halen album in 28 goddamned years....)

Anyway, Scholz might have had an easier time in Boston if he had let the other guys in the band do more, instead of going with the illusion in his mind that he alone could do everything. Barry Goudreau put out an alleged "solo" album around that time 80/81 that had pretty much every one else in the band playing on it, and what do you know, it sounded pretty much just like Boston.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc0oCxMM8xQ

God bless Brad Delp, still one of the best vocalists in rock history. There is no "Boston" without him :(

Mr Walker
01-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Tea For The Tillerman
Teaser And The Firecat
Catch Bull At Four

Mr Walker
01-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Ace Of Spades
No Sleep Till Hammersmith
Iron Fist

Mr Walker
01-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Permission to Land
One Way Ticket To Hell... And Back
'whatever they decide to name their next album'

FORD
01-23-2012, 12:54 PM
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/grateful-dead/53-1.jpghttp://www.coverbrowser.com/image/grateful-dead/58-1.jpghttp://www.coverbrowser.com/image/grateful-dead/15-1.jpg

lurker..
01-23-2012, 01:51 PM
some late 70's rock for my Canadian friends of an age to remember:

Max Webster:
High Class in Borrowed shoes
Mutiny up my sleeve
A million vacations

Pennypacker
01-23-2012, 04:33 PM
some late 70's rock for my Canadian friends of an age to remember:

Max Webster:
High Class in Borrowed shoes
Mutiny up my sleeve
A million vacations

What about:
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures

ThrillsNSpills
01-23-2012, 04:52 PM
What about:
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures

We might have to make it 4 and slip Farewell to Kings in there too.

Hardrock69
01-23-2012, 04:55 PM
The even BETTER Rush three-pack is 2112-Farewell To Kings - Hemispheres.

I respect their right to pursue their creative path, but I MUCH prefer the Heavy Metal version of Rush.

hain23x
01-23-2012, 08:42 PM
http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2008/07/the_black_crowes.jpg
http://www.jasondunn.com/albumart/images/the_black_crowes_the_southern_harmony_and_musical_ companion_1992.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/-F9NYE6jTLBc/SunwwmpRz8I/AAAAAAAAqy4/5hT8ZpuyJI0/s576/img041.jpg

lurker..
01-24-2012, 12:52 PM
i totally agree with the Rush picks....all 4 in fact....i was going a little off main stream with Webster...I would add the first three HIP albums as well.....

binnie
01-24-2012, 01:16 PM
http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2008/07/the_black_crowes.jpg
http://www.jasondunn.com/albumart/images/the_black_crowes_the_southern_harmony_and_musical_ companion_1992.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/-F9NYE6jTLBc/SunwwmpRz8I/AAAAAAAAqy4/5hT8ZpuyJI0/s576/img041.jpg

Duuuuude.

Amorica spoils the party, IMO. The first two BC records are untouchable, but I've never really 'felt' 'Amorica'.....

FORD
01-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Yeah, but you gotta admit it was great cover art. Made me feel all "patriotic" or something.......

ELVIS
01-24-2012, 01:37 PM
http://www.dixiworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/banned_covers_001a.jpg
http://www.concertblast.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/killer.jpg
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/a/alice-cooper/album-schools-out.jpg

:elvis:

jhale667
01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Yeah, but you gotta admit it was great cover art. Made me feel all "patriotic" or something.......

United States of Mufferica, baby! :lmao:

I kinda like a few tunes on "Amorica"..."High Head Blues" is cool, and there's a couple of other tracks the names of which escape me... agree with Bin nothing that stands up to say "Someday Salvation" off "Southern Harmony and Musical Companion", but still pretty cool...

sonrisa salvaje
01-24-2012, 02:15 PM
I'll take UFO: Phenomenon, Lights Out and Obsession

Pennypacker
01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Blizzard of Ozz
Diary of a Madman
Bark at the Moon

ThrillsNSpills
01-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Jeff Beck

Blow by Blow
Wired
There and Back

Mr. Vengeance
01-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Dio-
Holy Diver
The Last in Line
Sacred Heart

Warham
01-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Not the greatest, but maybe an honorable mention.

STP
Core
Purple
Tiny Music

Mr. Vengeance
01-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Not the greatest, but maybe an honorable mention.

STP
Core
Purple
Tiny Music
I don't know..I thought Tiny Music mostly sucked with the exception of a couple of songs.

Warham
01-26-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't know..I thought Tiny Music mostly sucked with the exception of a couple of songs.

I enjoyed it. The stuff sounded great live.

binnie
01-27-2012, 04:36 AM
It did sound better live, but's it's a really odd record.....

Mr Badguy
01-27-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm surprised Queensryche haven't been metioned.

Rage for order
Operation:Mindcrime
Empire

As good as any other 3 on this list.

Seshmeister
01-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Queensryche is closer to 2 and a half.

B side of Empire (remember them?) fades fast.

Maybe you could take the 3 as going from their first EP to the end of the first side of Empire... :)

Mr Badguy
01-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Maybe.

I still like "Anybody listening?".

If they had cut it down to 50 minutes it would have been better, perhaps.

Still a great album, though.

Mr Badguy
01-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Incidently, Sesh, if you're anywhere near Kirkintilloch, my band are playing up there tonight.

Or anyone who fancies some live music.

:D

vandeleur
01-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Duuuuude.

Amorica spoils the party, IMO. The first two BC records are untouchable, but I've never really 'felt' 'Amorica'.....

the Southern harmony is a great record

Yount
01-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Barry Goudreau put out an alleged "solo" album around that time 80/81 that had pretty much every one else in the band playing on it, and what do you know, it sounded pretty much just like Boston.

God bless Brad Delp, still one of the best vocalists in rock history. There is no "Boston" without him :(

Yes! I'm a big fan of the first 2 albums but had never heard Dreams before. Awesome!

My three are:

Marillion

- Script for a jester's tear
- Fugazi
- Misplaced childhood
- Clutching at straws

(I can't shave the first or last album off they're probably the best ones so... either way!!)

Seshmeister
01-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Maybe.

I still like "Anybody listening?".

That song should be called "Anybody still listening?" :)

I love the first side so maybe I'm being too harsh.

Seshmeister
01-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Incidently, Sesh, if you're anywhere near Kirkintilloch, my band are playing up there tonight.

Or anyone who fancies some live music.

Is that place still a dry town?

I know a few people who live there and so also know how difficult it is to get to without driving so maybe not this time but keep me posted with your gigs, we go to quite a few these days.

Mr Badguy
01-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Last time I was up (November) the place was crawling with Police.

Not handy when you're trying to get a puff.

Mostly play the west coast.

Next gig in Glasgow is at The Clutha on May 6, so far.

Should be getting another date in Hootenany in St. Enoch's Sq.

Played there in October and went down well.

Mr Badguy
01-27-2012, 01:23 PM
The drummer who is in the band with me tonight is Dave McCluskey from The Union!

gbranton
01-27-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm surprised Queensryche haven't been metioned.

That song should be called "Anybody still listening?" :)

After their latest albumortion "Dedicated To Chaos" the answer is FUCK NO.