PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Steve Jobs

FORD
10-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Oct. 5, 2011, 7:34 p.m. EDT
Statement by Apple's Board of Directors

CUPERTINO, Calif., Oct 05, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today.

Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.

His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts.

SOURCE: Apple

Apple
Katie Cotton, 408-974-7269
katiec@apple.com
Steve Dowling, 408-974-1896
dowling@apple.com

Little Texan
10-05-2011, 08:09 PM
I knew that the end was very near when I saw the last picture of him a few weeks ago. The man was one of the most brilliant minds of our time. The fact that he took a struggling company that was about to go under a little over a decade ago and built it into a company that overtook Exxon Mobil as the most valuable company in the world is nothing short of extraordinary. RIP Steve.

Dr. Love
10-05-2011, 08:34 PM
:( :(

VAiN
10-05-2011, 08:36 PM
He really stayed with Apple to the end... amazing. I'm a graphic designer and have been on a Mac since day 1 of school. I've literally never used a PC for anything. The Mac was instrumental in me getting into design through school and making a career out of it. Thanks Steve, you had a hand in shaping my life. RIP.

Guitar Shark
10-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Without a doubt, one of the most influential people in the last 30 years. RIP Steve.

FORD
10-05-2011, 08:44 PM
http://www.apl2bits.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/appleiipd2.jpg
Thanks for the Apple II, Steve! The computer that got me through high school.

(though I had a C-64 at home)

ashstralia
10-05-2011, 09:50 PM
r.i.p. Mr. Jobs. i've only ever owned 3 computers, all macs, all still work perfectly.

Blaze
10-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Wow! That is an era marker. Take good care, Steve Jobs.

FORD
10-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the US Festival too, Steve!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvDL_3c8Hak

Diamondjimi
10-05-2011, 11:02 PM
A brilliant man. R.I.P.

Nitro Express
10-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Steve addressing the city council on the plans for a new Apple headquarters. Most CEO's don't go to city council meetings and you can see the brilliance of Steve Jobs in his presentation. When I watched this a few weeks ago I was thinking he does not look healthy. Steve did things his way. I don't think he was into the typical corporate marketing philosophy that results in so much failure. He really proved how important it is to have vision at the top. Most companies don't.

Nitro Express
10-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the US Festival too, Steve!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvDL_3c8Hak

You mean Steve Wozniak on that one. Of course without Steve Jobs as a partner Woz wouldn't have made the money he did to throw the wonderful festival. I was at that show over memorial day weekend in 83. As soon as the last day of school was over we piled into my friends Porsche Targa and headed for SoCal. Riding all that way in that little seat sucked big time. I remember we were fighting over who got the front seat like a bunch of kids every time we made a stop.

Nitro Express
10-06-2011, 01:51 AM
http://www.apl2bits.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/appleiipd2.jpg
Thanks for the Apple II, Steve! The computer that got me through high school.

(though I had a C-64 at home)

Our high school had Apple II's as well. I remember programming in apple basic and saving the programs on Elephant Memory Systems floppies. We had an IBM PC at home and that sucked because it wasn't compatible with the Apples at school. I probably was the first kid at school to do his papers on a word processor. My sister's computer science professor Alan C. Ashton started WordPerfect and she got me an early copy for DOS. I remember the automatic spell checker blew me away. LOL! That was the big feature that made Alan the big bucks in those days.

Apple was always the innovator. The PC was the workplace workhorse with Lotus 123 and Wordperfect. Then Microsoft ripped off those two and created MS Office and amazingly that is still Microsoft's money maker to this day. Apple was coming out with point and click interfaces and better graphics when the PC people were still typing DOS commands at the C:> prompt.

What blew me away about the first Apples was how easy the floppy disk drive made things. Our first computer was a Radio Shack Trash 80 and you had to load the fucking programs with a cassette recorder which was a bitch. I played Defender on it and man, getting that game to load was an ordeal. Just putting a floppy in the drive and have it load quickly and effortlessly was the shit in those days.

I took that old IBM PC to college with me and I was the only person in my whole apartment complex that had his own computer. I had people bugging me all the time to use it. I didn't mind when hot chicks wanted to come into my bedroom and use it. Hey baby, I know how you can thank me.

My brother knew Woz from the Hombrew Computer Club at Stanford University. I remember him telling us the story of Woz coming in with the first Apple in like a box made from scrap wood. LOL! What blew everyone away is it used a television monitor. My brother was on Gil Armellio's management team at National Semiconductor. Dr. Armellio left to run Apple. I guess the company was a real mess then and the level of disorganization shocked Dr. Armellio. Right in the middle of the mess he got a phone call from the Securities and Exchange Commission and he shit a brick. He thought Apple was under Federal investigation and they can throw CEO's in jail. It turned out the head of the SEC was an Apple customer and wanted some help with his computer. When you run the SEC you just call the CEO. LOL! But it scared the shit out of Armellio. Steve Jobs took the company over after that. Armellio is a nice guy and great at fixing fiscal problems. He's not a business person but a physicist but he has good people and business skills. He just was not a visionary like Jobs. No way would he have released all those innovative products.

Nitro Express
10-06-2011, 02:32 AM
I knew that the end was very near when I saw the last picture of him a few weeks ago. The man was one of the most brilliant minds of our time. The fact that he took a struggling company that was about to go under a little over a decade ago and built it into a company that overtook Exxon Mobil as the most valuable company in the world is nothing short of extraordinary. RIP Steve.

And he did it honestly and with integrity. Steve could be tough and he could be unpleasant to work for but he was not a crook or dishonest. He grew the company the right way by simply making products that people liked and were willing to pay for. He wasn't buying off politicians, getting bailouts, colluding with others setting racketeering schemes or using the government and it's agencies to force the competition out of business or forcing you to buy their products. Too many companies have gone that way and the CEO's could care less about the company or the products. Just as long as they have their payout.

sadaist
10-06-2011, 03:26 AM
You mean Steve Wozniak on that one. Of course without Steve Jobs as a partner Woz wouldn't have made the money he did to throw the wonderful festival.

Didn't Woz hook up with that fucking disgusting hag Kathy Griffin? I can't stand her. Someone should have hooked her up with OJ Simpson.

Anyhow, sad news indeed seeing that come across Yahoo. Going to be very odd seeing Apple introduce new products without Steve Jobs up there in Levis & a black t-shirt explaining it to us. RIP Steve.

fryingdutchman
10-06-2011, 05:19 AM
Very sad news indeed. Rest in peace, Steve.

It is amazing how he turned Apple around when it looked like the writing was on the wall. Maybe this is a bad analogy, but it seemed like at one point Apple and the Mac had become to the PC world what Betamax was to videotape. Better technology/better product, but for whatever reason it just didn't win the hearts of the majority of the public.

But Steve took Apple and made it a pioneer in other ways that paid off handsomely. His legacy will live on for other CEO's to learn from for many decades to come.

Seshmeister
10-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Steve addressing the city council on the plans for a new Apple headquarters. Most CEO's don't go to city council meetings and you can see the brilliance of Steve Jobs in his presentation. When I watched this a few weeks ago I was thinking he does not look healthy. Steve did things his way. I don't think he was into the typical corporate marketing philosophy that results in so much failure. He really proved how important it is to have vision at the top. Most companies don't.

It's amazing the things you can build if you can get away with 100% margins and not giving anything to charities.

Seshmeister
10-06-2011, 09:59 AM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee43/Seshmeister/jobs-funeral-holding-wrong.jpg

Nitro Express
10-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Didn't Woz hook up with that fucking disgusting hag Kathy Griffin? I can't stand her. Someone should have hooked her up with OJ Simpson.

Anyhow, sad news indeed seeing that come across Yahoo. Going to be very odd seeing Apple introduce new products without Steve Jobs up there in Levis & a black t-shirt explaining it to us. RIP Steve.

Woz dated her for awhile. My older brother knew him a bit from the old Homebrew Computer club days. Woz has one cool project going with Gil Armellio now making components for digital movie cameras used in the motion picture industry. Both seem to be interested in getting new companies started and if you talk to any engineer worth their salt they all want to work for the smaller companies. The big ones are just too far gone with corrupt management with no vision. All they do is get their political connections for government bailouts when things go too sour while the CEO makes $300 million a year.

But it's these new start up businesses that are going to save this country, not the big corporations and that's where the brains are fleeing to. We need to start letting too big to fail, fail. Also some manufacturing is coming back because of the rising costs and quality control problems in China.

Nitro Express
10-06-2011, 10:25 AM
It's amazing the things you can build if you can get away with 100% margins and not giving anything to charities.

You sound like some of those city council members. What are you going to give us for free Steve? The best charity a company can give is good jobs that offer the opportunity to grow. People need to stop this entitlement mentality and get working again. Watch. While most people bitch and complain even during these tough times some hard working person with vision will start something that will grow into the next Apple and on a lesser scale other great businesses. The bottom line is going to work. Talk is cheap and bitching gets you nowhere. Make your own charity for yourself. Some people will bitch and other people in worse circumstances will go somewhere with it. Sitting on unemployment for years is not the answer. Make your own job and when the government comes in and says you can't do that tell them to get fucked.

Guitar Shark
10-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Oh, the ironicy:

Westboro announces protest of Steve Jobs' funeral - using an iPhone (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/westboro-announces-protest-steve-jobs-funeral-iphone-141530936.html)

PETE'S BROTHER
10-06-2011, 12:33 PM

:baaa:

FORD
10-06-2011, 12:48 PM
http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thelookout/Screen-shot-2011-10-06-at-11.14.16-AM.png

Fucking idiots :lmao:

If God hates Steve Jobs and sent him to Hell, wouldn't He also send YOU to Hell for using an iPhone, you dumb inbred bitch?

FORD
10-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Here's some historical footage - Jobs introduces the Macintosh 1.0, January 1984

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G0FtgZNOD44&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G0FtgZNOD44&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

jhale667
10-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Fucking idiots :lmao:

If God hates Steve Jobs and sent him to Hell, wouldn't He also send YOU to Hell for using an iPhone, you dumb inbred bitch?

Irony Alert! :lol:

sadaist
10-06-2011, 01:47 PM
.....not giving anything to charities.

Really dude? Perhaps his charity was creating employment...lots of it. And not just within his own company but all of the competitors trying to copy his creations. Perhaps his charity was making products so innovative that they changed the world & the face of all technology for the better. To rag on him for not donating the money he earned to some third world country to vaccinate villagers or deliver crates of rice is short sighted.

Americans are some of the most charitable people on Earth. (The ones who are employed anyways). How many of his tens of thousands of employees were able to donate to charity? Red Cross, Goodwill, Salvation Army, United Way, March Of Dimes, and on & on & on & on........

Shouldn't that count towards his charity giving? If he employs people and they donate to charity with the money he provides to them, perhaps that should count under his tally sheet?

FORD
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Well, Jobs definitely did have his bad side..... outsourcing manufacturing to China and being an enemy of public education & teachers unions, for two examples.

While it sucks that he died, he had a good 7 years to fight pancreatic cancer, which is a lot more time than many get with cancer, especially that variety. That's because he was rich enough to afford the best health care, in the fucked up US system. A non-billionaire Linux developer wouldn't have been so fortunate.

Seshmeister
10-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Really dude? Perhaps his charity was creating employment...lots of it. And not just within his own company but all of the competitors trying to copy his creations. Perhaps his charity was making products so innovative that they changed the world & the face of all technology for the better. To rag on him for not donating the money he earned to some third world country to vaccinate villagers or deliver crates of rice is short sighted.

Americans are some of the most charitable people on Earth. (The ones who are employed anyways). How many of his tens of thousands of employees were able to donate to charity? Red Cross, Goodwill, Salvation Army, United Way, March Of Dimes, and on & on & on & on........

Shouldn't that count towards his charity giving? If he employs people and they donate to charity with the money he provides to them, perhaps that should count under his tally sheet?

Sure and that's all good. Just since he was portrayed as the messiah it's worth remembering that despite having more money than the US government unlike her competitors Apple doesn't have a good record in this area, unlike even Haliburton.

http://www.rositacortez.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/corporate_donations.png

Also in many cases Apple have insisted on taking their 30% from sales and donations of non profit organisations and charities from the App store.

http://philanthropy.com/blogs/social-philanthropy/is-apple-anti-charity/24565

clarathecarrot
10-06-2011, 07:33 PM
I have never purchased any of his equipment in any way shape or form.

Ever,...except for the basis of everthing I own ,

RIP you lovely brilliant man.

jhale667
10-06-2011, 08:03 PM
:lmao:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/318497_242948505752616_100001124062298_637605_1558 813893_n.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
10-06-2011, 08:07 PM
you sure he went up?

FORD
10-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Well, if the iPhone 666 comes out soon, and the only colors are black and red, we might suspect otherwise.

Funny that we haven't heard from Satan lately.......

PETE'S BROTHER
10-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Well, if the iPhone 666 comes out soon, and the only colors are black and red, we might suspect otherwise.

Funny that we haven't heard from Satan lately.......

:biggrin: but jesus/sesh is posting

FORD
10-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Sesh is Jesus??

JESUS is an atheist?? :lmao:

PETE'S BROTHER
10-06-2011, 09:13 PM
i found the irony drunkenly amusing myself. carry on beelzebub/saviour/modelt

ashstralia
10-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Sesh is Jesus??

no, he's a hawking/dawkins hybrid...:)

kwame k
10-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Well, if Jesus is an alias......I'll never trust another soul on this site:)

VanHalener
10-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Well, if Jesus is an alias......I'll never trust another soul on this site:)

Well Holmes, you can trust me when I tell you black holes in space are caused by the suck known as Hagar, there will be Diamond David Lee Roth in 2112, and the Redskins are going all the way this season.

Mr Jobs,

Thanks for the kick ass contributions to humanity. Were it not for many of your achievements I would not have it so easy today. I only wish it was legal for me to hand out wood shampoos to Westboro participants at your funeral.

~Rest in Peace~

sadaist
10-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Sesh is Jesus??

JESUS is an atheist?? :lmao:

Speaking of Atheists I heard a good line on the radio the other day.

"If there were no God there couldn't be Atheists. They would have nothing to oppose and therefore wouldn't exist."

VanHalener
10-06-2011, 10:29 PM

"If there were no God there couldn't be Atheists. They would have nothing to oppose and therefore wouldn't exist."

People need to remember...

If there is no God, there is no Van Halen.

Have they forgotten?
God rides a Harley and cranks Van Halen!

PETE'S BROTHER
10-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Have they forgotten?

aw shux.......

Blaze
10-06-2011, 10:37 PM

Have they forgotten?

hahaha! Thanks for the cheer!
I have not told you lately that I love you!
May much love be in VanHalener's life. ~Amen~

clarathecarrot
10-06-2011, 10:39 PM

I wrote that line when i was 2. send money now.

FORD
10-06-2011, 10:42 PM

Have they forgotten?

I used to have this neighbor who swears he saw Jesus Christ riding a Harley. Of course he admittedly was on 6 hits of acid at the time, so it would be strange to NOT see God in one form or another, in that state of mind.:hippie:

http://313merch.com/big_images/wwdr.gif

PETE'S BROTHER
10-06-2011, 10:46 PM
nice:baaa:

kwame k
10-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Well Holmes, you can trust me when I tell you black holes in space are caused by the suck known as Hagar, there will be Diamond David Lee Roth in 2112, and the Redskins are going all the way this season.

Mr Jobs,

Thanks for the kick ass contributions to humanity. Were it not for many of your achievements I would not have it so easy today. I only wish it was legal for me to hand out wood shampoos to Westboro participants at your funeral.

~Rest in Peace~

Preach the gospel, brother!

If lovin' the Lord is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

VanHalener
10-06-2011, 11:48 PM
I used to have this neighbor who swears he saw Jesus Christ riding a Harley. Of course he admittedly was on 6 hits of acid at the time, so it would be strange to NOT see God in one form or another, in that state of mind.:hippie:

http://313merch.com/big_images/wwdr.gif

Allow me to finish punishing my acoustic guitar in the garage and I will repost a picture of a dear friend. He is often described as a cross between Charles Manson and Jesus.

~it's tough posting on the only true Van Halen website when your iPhone screen is SMASHED~

=Please stand by=

Seshmeister
10-07-2011, 06:13 AM

It doesn't work, it should say 'If there were no belief in God there couldn't be Atheists'.

Substitute 'magic invisible fairies' for God.

If there were a majority of people who believed in magical invisible fairies and based on this belief wanted to impose government policies on education, science and healthcare based on that then we would probably have a word for people who didn't.

Seshmeister
10-07-2011, 06:15 AM
no, he's a hawking/dawkins hybrid...:)

I sit in a pool of my own piss unable to get up whilst telling everyone there is no god?

Close enough...

ashstralia
10-07-2011, 06:53 AM
I sit in a pool of my own piss unable to get up whilst telling everyone there is no god?

Close enough...

yeah, but in that classic stephen hawking mac voice...:first::)

Seshmeister
10-16-2011, 05:30 AM
I was wondering how with all his money Jobs died from a minor cancer...

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2011/10/05/a-lesson-in-treating-illness/

A Lesson in Treating Illness

Posted on October 5, 2011 by Brian Dunning

I’m sad that today I’m adding a slide to one of my live presentations, adding Steve Jobs to the list of famous people who died treating terminal diseases with woo rather than with medicine.

Seven or eight years ago, the news broke that Steve Jobs had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, but considering it a private matter, he delayed in informing Apple’s board, and Apple’s board delayed in informing the shareholders. So what. The only delay that really mattered was that Steve, it turned out, had been treating his pancreatic cancer with a special diet suggested by the alternative medicine promoter Dr. Dean Ornish.

Most pancreatic cancers are aggressive and always terminal, but Steve was lucky (if you can call it that) and had a rare form called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which is actually quite treatable with excellent survival rates — if caught soon enough. The median survival is about a decade, but it depends on how soon it’s removed surgically. Steve caught his very early, and should have expected to survive much longer than a decade. Unfortunately Steve relied on a diet instead of early surgery. There is no evidence that diet has any effect on islet cell carcinoma. As he dieted for nine months, the tumor progressed, and took him from the high end to the low end of the survival rate.

Why did he do this? Well, outsiders like us can’t know; but many who avoid medical treatment in favor of unproven alternatives do so because they’ve been given bad information, without the tools or expertise to discriminate good from bad. Steve was exposed to such bad information, as are we all.

Eventually it became clear to all involved that his alternative therapy wasn’t working, and from then on, by all accounts, Steve aggressively threw money at the best that medical science could offer. After nine months of dieting from 2003 to 2004, he finally had the surgery to remove the tumor. But it was too late. He later had to have a Whipple procedure. He had a liver transplant. And then he died, all too young.

My whole family loves Apple devices. Steve made our lives better, and I think I can say that pragmatically and without any Apple heroin in my veins. Not only that, he created my profession.

His lifelong friend Bill Gates tweeted:

For those of us lucky enough to get to work with Steve, it’s been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely. b-gat.es/qHXDsU

I saw another tweet today from @DamonLindelof that I thought was beautifully worded:

Steve Jobs. On behalf of every dreamer sitting in his or her garage who is crazy enough to try to change the world, you will be missed.

We can’t say for sure that Steve would still be alive and making lives better were it not for the alternative therapy, but the statistics suggest it very strongly. If you insist on unproven therapies, fine; but also try the proven ones while you’re at it. Nobody likes to either write or read a post such as this one.

For a more expert response to this post, see Dr. David Gorski’s critique at Science Based Medicine.

For Harvard oncology researcher Ramzi Amri’s thoughts, see the Gawker article in which he expressed the same concerns about the likely effects of Steve’s delay in surgery.

chefcraig
10-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Wow, that was quick. :(

Discovery Channel airing Steve Jobs documentary Sunday

The Mythbusters duo will be hosting the documentary, which will air Sunday.

By John P. Mello Jr., IT World (http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/212319/discovery-channel-airing-steve-jobs-documentary-sunday)

The Discovery Channel will be airing a one-hour documentary on Steve Jobs Sunday, hosted by Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman of Mythbusters fame.

"Steve Jobs was a creative and technological visionary who quite simply changed society as we know it," Discovery said in a statement.

"As co-founder and CEO of Apple Computer, Jobs ushered in personal computing to the masses, which in turn led to new innovations which completely changed our way of life--from how we do our work, to the way we watch movies, listen to music and interact socially," it added.

Discovery has lined up a number of sources for the production, which is called iGenius: How Steve Jobs Changed the World. Some are from Jobs' past--Lee Felsenstein, founding member of the Homebrew Computer Club; Daniel Kottke, a friend who traveled to India with Jobs and who later become an early Apple employee; and John Draper, an engineer who gave Jobs his start.

Others are from the media, science and music fields--NBC Correspondent Tom Brokaw, New York Times business reporter Joe Nocera , cultural critic Toure, Billboard Editorial Director Bill Were, Fortune magazine Managing Editor Andrew Serwer, theoretical physicist Michio Kaku, and musician Stevie Wonder.

"Someone once said that to follow the path that others have laid before you is a very reasonable course of action, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men," Mythbuster Savage said in a statement. "Steve Jobs was an unreasonable man."

"He didn't simply give the public what they wanted, he defined entirely new ways of thinking about our lives in the digital space: productivity, creativity, music, communication, media and art," he added. "He has touched, directly and indirectly, all of our lives."

FORD
10-16-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't blame Jobs for trying the "alternative treatments". So-called "conventional medicine" (i.e. chemotherapy poison) has proven pretty much useless with pancreatic cancer, so he literally had nothing to lose, except money to pay for any and all options. And he certainly wasn't lacking for that.

Seshmeister
10-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Did you read that?

He had the unusual type of pancreatic cancer that can usually be cured but he held off proper medicine whilst he tried the witchdoctor stuff. By the time he realised his mistake it was too late.

Alternative medicine that can be shown to work is called medicine.

FORD
10-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Wow, that was quick. :(

Discovery Channel airing Steve Jobs documentary Sunday

The Mythbusters duo will be hosting the documentary, which will air Sunday.

By John P. Mello Jr., IT World (http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/212319/discovery-channel-airing-steve-jobs-documentary-sunday)

The Discovery Channel will be airing a one-hour documentary on Steve Jobs Sunday, hosted by Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman of Mythbusters fame.

"Steve Jobs was a creative and technological visionary who quite simply changed society as we know it," Discovery said in a statement.

"As co-founder and CEO of Apple Computer, Jobs ushered in personal computing to the masses, which in turn led to new innovations which completely changed our way of life--from how we do our work, to the way we watch movies, listen to music and interact socially," it added.

Discovery has lined up a number of sources for the production, which is called iGenius: How Steve Jobs Changed the World. Some are from Jobs' past--Lee Felsenstein, founding member of the Homebrew Computer Club; Daniel Kottke, a friend who traveled to India with Jobs and who later become an early Apple employee; and John Draper, an engineer who gave Jobs his start.

Others are from the media, science and music fields--NBC Correspondent Tom Brokaw, New York Times business reporter Joe Nocera , cultural critic Toure, Billboard Editorial Director Bill Were, Fortune magazine Managing Editor Andrew Serwer, theoretical physicist Michio Kaku, and musician Stevie Wonder.

"Someone once said that to follow the path that others have laid before you is a very reasonable course of action, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men," Mythbuster Savage said in a statement. "Steve Jobs was an unreasonable man."

"He didn't simply give the public what they wanted, he defined entirely new ways of thinking about our lives in the digital space: productivity, creativity, music, communication, media and art," he added. "He has touched, directly and indirectly, all of our lives."

When Jobs resigned as Apple CEO a few months ago, it was obvious that it was for health reasons, so no doubt that they started preparing the eulogies, obituaries, and tributes the very next day. Probably much of that writing and video editing being done on Mac computers, no doubt.