PDA

View Full Version : Seymour Duncan Amps

BrownSound1
06-14-2004, 02:43 AM
I remember quite vividly the Seymour Duncan Convertible amplifier line. I thought these amps had a great tone, but never could muster up the cash to get one. Do any of you have one of these?

GAR
06-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Know it's called the Convertible, and that theyve been available used from a low of 550 to as high as 900 with all the modules.

They don't make the modules anymore. If you get a convertible you really do want the modules which can swap out different preamp and output tubes for different types. Otherwise, the socalled "Convertible"-ness is kinda left out of options.

They shoulda sold the amp with all possible modules complete or the thing would still be a success.

BrownSound1
06-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Yeah, that was a mistake....and it appears that Randall is selling an amp with the "modular" design these days. Notice they have a "brown sound" module, but if these sound like regular Randall amps then I ain't interested.

GAR
06-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Hmm, Randall's doing this you say?

Typically, the modular design has never been perfect: when you mount high voltage connections on a carded edge, designed to plug the card onto another board-mounted slot like computer motherboards have, you mainly develop problems from the fragility of the assembly IMO.

I would like to see this Randall design - thinking of how this could be best done, I'd refer to telecom equipment I've seen and taken apart over the years and the oldest stuff that's survived has not been the type were little bits n pieces were mounted on small slotted plugins, but where the whole entierety of the fucking schallang plugs in..

For example, instead of Duncan's Convertible design where several small gold-fingered, plated connections wobble, break, and tarnish.. I would just design the whole amp on a carded circuit board and diversify those discrete components such as pre- and post-amplification circuits on that one solid piece: reason being is very simple! Having just the backplane setup for voltage, front and backpanel controls all you have to do is add the expense of a couple fucken additional parts with every different board: like, less than 20 bucks we're talking about here each time!

Want a modded Marshall JMP or Plexi sound, then maybe a Vox AC15 or AC30 and then wish to play with a brite breakup of a Magnavox M-15/II? You just unscrew two large thumbscrews and slide the whole circuit board out.

All the main amp chassis would supply is power and user controls which makes sense for longeivity and durability, because that's the way backplanes are done in rackmounted telecom gear for over 40 years. Same as with routers and CSU/DSU and T1 compooter crap equip, too. I hope Randall understands this.. hope to see it come to light of market day!