PDA

View Full Version : Les Pauls

BrownSound1
06-14-2004, 02:51 AM
You know, it sickens me to see how much a new Les Paul is going for these days. I swear, it is highway robbery when it comes to these prices. They've always been on the upper end so to speak, but fuck, this is ridiculous. I love those guitars, but I'll be damned if I pay the prices Gibson is demanding for a Les Paul Standard. Anyone else think the same way?

Panamark
06-14-2004, 04:52 AM
Fuck yeah ! They are over $5000 in Australia !!!
Strat prices are far more realistic..

ashstralia
06-14-2004, 06:26 AM
i had a 1960 classic flametop
for about a year, nice, but too freakin
heavy. i much prefer strat's.

famac
06-14-2004, 06:54 AM
I have two Les Pauls, a Standard and a Deluxe. If you let someone else pay full price, then buy it from them for Les, you can buy them at half price.

They are heavy, but they also get a much better overall sound for hard rock than a Strat, no matter how you load it.

alexpgrimes
06-14-2004, 08:21 AM
I have an Epiphone Les Paul. It's black with a see thru finish and a smoked pick guard. I had to put better pick ups in it. Got some duncans and now it screams. I paid 425.00 for it and but about 175.00 into it. I'd put it up against any of those high priced Les Pauls any time.

ashstralia
06-14-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by famac
I have two Les Pauls, a Standard and a Deluxe. If you let someone else pay full price, then buy it from them for Les, you can buy them at half price.

They are heavy, but they also get a much better overall sound for hard rock than a Strat, no matter how you load it.

have to agree, famac.
i have a dimarzio pro-track
in the bridge of my strat, and it sounds pretty cool.
scale length has an effect too,
so you les paul players can get away with heavier strings.

Panamark
06-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by alexpgrimes
I have an Epiphone Les Paul. It's black with a see thru finish and a smoked pick guard. I had to put better pick ups in it. Got some duncans and now it screams. I paid 425.00 for it and but about 175.00 into it. I'd put it up against any of those high priced Les Pauls any time.

Im pretty sure the EPI's are a lot lighter too ?

Coyote
06-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
You know, it sickens me to see how much a new Les Paul is going for these days. I swear, it is highway robbery when it comes to these prices. They've always been on the upper end so to speak, but fuck, this is ridiculous. I love those guitars, but I'll be damned if I pay the prices Gibson is demanding for a Les Paul Standard. Anyone else think the same way?

Yeah, especially since the QC's a bit shaky these days. Go for a Tokai Love Rock, instead.

GAR
06-14-2004, 07:13 PM
A guitar is worth the price you paid if it makes you enjoy playing, and makes you want to play more everyday.

As far as cost of manufacture, its not a cheaply made thing by any means. If you can't buy a new one, buy used and take your time to buy the right one for you.

AND NEVER order one made new if you don't have to. Weight variances go up and down within the same supply of body and neck blanks from the same tree. That's just the nature of wood! Some will be heavy and some light, so pick and choose, and take your time doing so.

BrownSound1
06-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Hell Gar, I got Les Pauls...I'm just thinking the asking price of one today is ridiculous.

If I were to buy one, I would actually check out probably 6 or so, doing sound and playability comparisons to and pick the best of the lot overall.

ALMOSTsaved
06-16-2004, 05:51 PM
I've never played a Les Paul.

You can always identify their sound. I've seen several old pics of Ed playing a Les Paul on stage. I wonder how his sound came through on that.

GAR
06-16-2004, 06:21 PM
My first guitar shoulda been a Les Paul copy, but I got an SG copy instead.

I found a 76 Les Paul Deluxe in a pawnshop 15 years ago, $200 with case.

Found a 69 or 70 SG in Phoenix 10 years ago, $180. Yanked the pickups and sold it for $200 to Freedom Guitar in Hollywood.

I tend to go for deals, but when looking for something sweet money's no object. My next purchase will be one of those Lonnie Mack Flying V limited editions.. sweetest V I ever played, best one Gibson ever made!

Is there a "drool smiley"? :drool:

lucky wilbury
06-20-2004, 01:03 AM
with gibson your mostly paying for the name nothing more. they know they can charge that because people will pay it..

freak
06-20-2004, 03:05 AM
Looked at an SG at the Gibson store in Nashville a couple of months ago.

Needless to say, I left the place empty handed.

BrownSound1
06-20-2004, 12:58 PM
I do agree you are paying for a name, but you are also paying for a tone. If that was not the case, then people wouldn't be paying these high prices for those guitars.

Cathedral
06-21-2004, 02:41 AM
I had a 1975 Les Paul Custom that i paid $700.00 for in 1980. it was silver burst on black and i sold it after a year for what i paid for it due to the pain i had in my shoulders from playing out with it.

Most idiotic move i made outside of getting married 9 years ago.
I will never be able to replace that one for that money unless it's beat to hell and back.
I fucking HATE Strats with a passion though cause at the time the only axe i could find that sounded like the Paul was a Charvel, and it took me a couple years to find one.
I used an Aria Pro II RS Classic in the meantime which wasn't a bad axe but only had the single coil "tinny" sounding pickups in it and lots of push and pull tone controls.
Only bad part about that was it had no mid tone. either too damn deep or to thin, even with all the stuff.
It was Pearl White and just a beautiful axe for 6 bills out the door.

Been playing Charvels since the mid 80's and still very happy with them.

But, nothing beats a Les Paul for tone, and sorry to bust any bubbles here but i never played an Epi that even started to compare to a Paul.
I was pitched on one by a salesman that tried to convince me they were the same simply because they were made at the same factory at the time, WRONG...They are made with the same wood but that is where the similarities ended and the cheapo compromising began.

Panamark
06-21-2004, 03:03 AM
I love Les Pauls. But I also love strats.. (CAT ?? NO CAT IN THE STRAT ?? )

But the best guitar I have ever played is my mid 80's Ibanez Destroyer II. I wouldnt swap it for any Les Paul. Im actually looking for a Paul at the moment...

Panamark
06-21-2004, 03:04 AM
Oops, that didnt make sense, Im looking for a Les Paul for my collection, not to replace the Destroyer..
Ive also got a Strat and a Tele..

Cathedral
06-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Tele's are way cool, I love Tele's.... But a Strat? I will not play it here or there, I will not play it anywhere, I do not like them, Pan from Cat, I don not like the Fender Strat.

Huh uh huh huh...

BrownSound1
06-21-2004, 09:47 PM
I love strats...and I love teles.... I guess I'm more into playing a Tele these days than a Strat though I don't know why. Must be that I'm going through an early Jimmy Page phase for like the 50th time in my life. Now if I could only find that Tonebender fuzz and a Supro amp, then I would be set.

Panamark
06-22-2004, 09:07 AM
I really want a nice Paul again, its the missing link in my collection.
Ive owned two previously, but was young and stupid and sold them.
Its such a different feel and tone from the Fenders, its worth having
it .. Would have to be a black and white one !! But not paying $5000.

jacksmar
06-22-2004, 10:16 AM
“The only axe I could find that sounded like the Paul was a Charvel” –

That’s the reason I own 2 Charvel’s. The only other guitars that plays BETTER than Les Paul’s are Jackson’s. That action on Jackson’s from the factory is superb. Jackson’s will hold through an entire gig if need be and the neck thru gets the best sustain I’ve ever heard.

The only Les Paul worth owning right now, imo, is the Ace Frehley Les Paul. Ace’s guitar plays well all the time. It is simply the most consistent neck I’ve ever dealt with. It isn’t like baseball bat Les Paul radius. It required so little adjustment from the factory and the sustain is just phenomenal along with the tone. The price $5000. Now how would anyone justify paying that price? Two words I’ve already mentioned: Tone and Sustain. Ace’s Les Paul has the most balanced sustain from the top end that I’ve encountered. What I mean by this is if I’m playing the high E or B, the sustain won’t change from the A or D. I think this was the closest to what Ace had in one of his original Les Paul’s according to an interview. (The guy’s kind of a flake, so you really don’t know if what he’s saying is totally total.) This is due to the attention Gibson put into the Ace Frehley Les Paul neck. There is nothing for me to compare it to. I’ve never really played to many old Les Paul’s. I’ve played it through a JMP1, a JCM2000, and a JCM 800; no difference and it can really take a beating. (roadworthy) The weight is like under 10 pounds. What I don’t like is 22 vs 24 frets. I like the extra octave for pick tapping.

I’ve seen some guys in Louisville play some Les Paul Epi’s with new hardware and pickups but the tone was not there at all. They let me try one of the Epi’s at a practice and the guitar didn’t feel right at all. The neck was so inconsistent I didn’t want to play it for more than a minute. I didn’t have the guitar plugged into an amp either because they played more chords than solos if you know what I mean.

The hardest point for me to understand with the Les Paul is like the Les Paul classic, Les Paul Standard, Les Paul studio, Les Paul Supreme, Les Paul Standard Premium Plus, Les Paul Standard Double Cut Plus, and of course the Les Paul Custom. And they’ve discontinued so many models including the Ace Frehley model that it makes me wonder if the some of other Paul’s (Joe Perry or Paul SL) play any different from the Epi’s.

I hate to say you get what you pay for, but I have 3 Jackson’s, 2 Charvel’s, and now only one Gibson. The other Gibson was a mid 80’s Explorer and it had a great neck. It was really close to the Charvel and that’s one I can’t figure out. Did anyone see the mid 80’s Explorer with the really awful paint jobs? I put KISS stickers all over the guitar instead of stripping the paint off. Just lazy I guess but I called the guitar the KISS Destroyer and people really liked it when I brought it out for “Hotter Than Hell into Firehouse”

I’ve heard talk about a Neal Schon Les Paul, has anyone heard or can confirm this? The guy just wails and his tone is perfect live. You really have to hear him play live to get what Neal can do because all those sappy love songs get a pair of nuts of them when he play them live.

Last question: I’ve played a Gibson SR71 Strat-style guitar and it was awesome. It wasn’t there a week later and I’ve not found one since. Anybody? Wasn’t this the model or something else?

Figs
06-22-2004, 10:28 AM
If you want to go on a budget, I have an Ibanez Iceman that I think it's pretty damn good. Goes for 400-500

GAR
06-22-2004, 07:51 PM
You know what I used to think was a piece of shit which I don't mind now in a Paulish single-cutaway type guitar, is the Gibson L6.

They're like 1-1/2" THIN but solid maple. Ceramic magged but low-power output pickups, they got bite and go for way-under $500.

Panamark
06-25-2004, 08:06 AM
If Gibson use the same wood for the EPI's, does that mean they weigh the same as the real Les Pauls. There's seems to be an urban myth that the EPI's are a lot lighter....

Never had one side by side.. Someone must know ?

ZahZoo
06-25-2004, 03:10 PM
Les Pauls are far far too overpriced... IMO.

If you are looking for a really good quality Paul type guitar and very affordable prices check www.rondomusic.bigstep.com

For example:

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/al3000csb1m.jpg

Agile AL3000M Prestige Left or Right Handed

Color: Choose Color... Cherry Sunburst Heritage Sunburst Heritage Sunburst Lefty

Quantity:
Agile - AL-3000M

Weight: 30.0 lbs
List Price: $649.99
Sale Price: $399.99

Brand new for the second half of 2004 – the Agile AL-3000M features a SOLID 3/4"+ MAPLE CAP on top of a 1 1/2” solid 3 piece mahogany body. (The cap is just over 3/4" thick at the top of the arch towards the center of the guitar). The maple cap increases the brightness of the guitar dramatically.

The AL-3000 includes many important upgraded features over the AL-2800 and 2500 such as improved Nickel plated hardware, including nickel die-cast Grover tuners 102-18N for ultra fine tuning (18-1 turn ratio), and a one piece Mahogany neck. Neck Taper (thickness) at the first fret is 21.5mm and 23.5mm at the 12th fret. (vs: 17 mm at the 1st fret and 21.5mm at the 12th fret for the slim taper AL-3000 model). The neck has an ebony fret board with real abolone inlays, book matched Canadian maple top, improved pickup selector switch, and Type V Alnico Wilkinson pickups.

New for 2004. The AL-3000 now comes with improved wiring (single conductor braided 18 gauge American wire for pickups), improved pots (now higher voltage with brass shafts for reduced noise).

Standard features (also included in the 2800 model) include: GHS strings (10-46) installed at the factory and a professionally cut bone nut A pre-cut graphite nut is also included in the bag with the trus rod adjuster for those who prefer graphite. The 3000 and 2800 also have individually hand filed frets (vs machine filed frets on the 2500), for professional feel and playability, and a thicker top quality Canadian maple top (100% real wood top-not a photo top!).

Features in common with the 2500, 2800 and 3000 are full body binding, jumbo 2.7mm frets, a 13.7” (350mm) radius neck for “fast” play, and a beautifully bound neck, headstock and body.

Width of the neck at the nut: 1 10/16", at the 22nd fret 2 3/16". Total length, including strap button: 40". Width of guitar at its widest point (lower bout) 13", thickness of neck at the first fret approx 11/16". Scale length 24.7". Body thickness 2" at edge.

alexpgrimes
06-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Im pretty sure the EPI's are a lot lighter too ?
Mine is alittle on the heavy side too. I also have an 85 strat with the single humbucker and a floyd rose. Real nice guitar Pearl white. I've never had a problem with it either. I also have a washburn Billy T -3. Nice guitar but it needs some work.

Hecubus
06-26-2004, 11:13 PM
What about the Les Paul Faded series? Anybody try those?

Those can be had for around $5-600...

I tried one out in the Guitar Center last week & it wailed. It had a great feel to it but it was heavy. I picked up the EBMM after that & it was as light as a feather.

Panamark
06-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by alexpgrimes
Mine is alittle on the heavy side too. I also have an 85 strat with the single humbucker and a floyd rose. Real nice guitar Pearl white. I've never had a problem with it either. I also have a washburn Billy T -3. Nice guitar but it needs some work.

Must be an urban myth then. Ive had stacks of dudes try and tell me the EPI's were lighter. Thanks for setting me straight

SweetSecrets
06-27-2004, 01:11 AM
Les Pauls are great! I have a 2001 studio plus desert burst. It is my baby. I'm thinking about trading it in and getting a wolfgang, but I doubt I could part from my Gibson.

Cathedral
07-13-2004, 02:51 AM
Must be an urban myth then. Ive had stacks of dudes try and tell me the EPI's were lighter. Thanks for setting me straight

The basic difference in my experience is totally hardware and guts. the quality control and setup of an Epi has a lot to be desired.
I'd also wager that although it is the same wood on both guitars, the Epi's are probably mostly built with LP reject pieces.
I'd also wager that the necks aren't done as well.

But, If you gutted an Epi and replaced the guts and hardware with the real LP parts, you just might have a decent LP clone.
My only doubts would be about the necks.

Cathedral
07-13-2004, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by SweetPoundcake
Les Pauls are great! I have a 2001 studio plus desert burst. It is my baby. I'm thinking about trading it in and getting a wolfgang, but I doubt I could part from my Gibson.

I haven't played a Wolfgang yet that would make me trade in a Paul for it. Keep the Paul and just save and buy a Wolfgang if you want one.

That is just my opinion though...

BrownSound1
07-13-2004, 10:03 AM
SweetPoundcake, if you trade your Les Paul for a PEAVEY, then I will personally hunt you down. Knoxville is a little under 4 hours away...I can find you. :D

Cathedral
07-13-2004, 04:42 PM
I'll go for you, B1... Knoxville is an hour and a half away from here and i'm heading that way next month for a family reunion.

BrownSound1
07-13-2004, 05:10 PM
And you're in Ohio? Hell man, it's around 3 or so hours from Nashville to Knoxville.

SweetSecrets
07-13-2004, 09:07 PM

Yea they are pretty damn expensive because Gibson knows that people will spend the money on them. My studio was $1500, but I got it for like $900 only because I worked at guitar center.

Every once in awhile you will find a Used Standard for a pretty okay price that is in good shape.

Studio's are about the only "somewhat" affordable Les Paul...and that is okay because you can find Studio's that make some Deluxes clook like crap! Who needs all that gawdy binding and crap anyway...just adds weight to an already heavy guitar. You can even find some Epiphone Les Pauls that sound like Gibsons (although, this is rare, but I have found them).

SweetSecrets
07-13-2004, 09:09 PM
SweetPoundcake, if you trade your Les Paul for a PEAVEY, then I will personally hunt you down. Knoxville is a little under 4 hours away...I can find you. :D

Don't worry! I am not doing anything with my Paul. We are very much in love at the moment, and I plan on keeping it that way!

So stay put, Brownie!

SweetSecrets
07-13-2004, 09:11 PM
I really want a nice Paul again, its the missing link in my collection.
Ive owned two previously, but was young and stupid and sold them.
Its such a different feel and tone from the Fenders, its worth having
it .. Would have to be a black and white one !! But not paying $5000.

Well Mark, I think you have actually do have a Les Paul in your collection now.... because you have a Mary Frances there too. :)

Panamark
07-14-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by SweetPoundcake
Well Mark, I think you have actually do have a Les Paul in your collection now.... because you have a Mary Frances there too. :)

This is the best deal Ive ever had in my life :)

A Les Paul and a beautiful woman.. Doesnt get
any better than that !

justaxxxgirl
07-16-2004, 12:43 PM

any better than that !

Yes, my sister love's her Les Paul’s. Would not trade them for anything. I'm more of a Strat person myself.

justaxxxgirl
07-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by justaxxxgirl
Yes, my sister love's her Les Paul’s. Would not trade them for anything. I'm more of a Strat person myself.

Cathedral
07-20-2004, 03:30 AM

any better than that !

Oh yes it does, it gets way better with those ingredients, brother... ;)