PDA

View Full Version : Texxas Jam '78 Documentary

patt5150
10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
It's taken a long time but it looks like Archway Pictures is finally set to release Brian Hedenberg's "Texxas Jam '78" documentary (60 minutes). Not sure if there is any VH footage in it, but it looks pretty cool! (check out the link below to view the 3 minute trailer!) I also included a link to an article explaining why the film was delayed for so long.

http://www.archwaypictures.com/

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2011/07/so_whatever_happened_to_that_t.php

ThrillsNSpills
10-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Funny how Mick Taylor fans show up everywhere and are never casual Mick Taylor fans.

"Someone told me that the Stones were thinking of bringing Mick Taylor along on their next tour, which I think is a spectacularly great idea. " (comment got numerous thumbs ups)

Stones had zero to do with Texas Jam.

chefcraig
10-13-2011, 02:42 PM
I liked the mention of "Frank Marino and the Mahagony Rush", myself. :lmao:

Hummarstra
10-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Am I to understand that this thing still has no release date? Their website says Summer 2011 but how do we get the fucking thing?

Hummarstra
10-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Let me answer my own stupid question: no date, yet. Here's the paragraph:

"It depends on what VH1 comes back with. And if we get the chance to pitch Sony that could be a game changer too. But realistically its only 52 minutes, and Sony is already talking to Krebs about his live footage. Except we have the interviews. If VH1 passes then we'll just go straight to DVD or film fests by end of summer. We have a meeting in a couple of weeks. We get a pretty consistent stream of emails every year wanting to know if we're done. Yes, we're done. Now we're just trying to get it out to everyone and cover our asses. Licensing hits from all those bands from the '70s was a lot more than we had anticipated."

I'm an ass.

FORD
10-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Funny how Mick Taylor fans show up everywhere and are never casual Mick Taylor fans.

"Someone told me that the Stones were thinking of bringing Mick Taylor along on their next tour, which I think is a spectacularly great idea. " (comment got numerous thumbs ups)

Stones had zero to do with Texas Jam.

Yeah, the Stones were touring on their own in 1978, but at least that video is finally coming out - in the theaters next week, and on DVD/BluRay next month. No Mick Taylor in 78 though.

As far as this Texas Jam thing goes, It would always be great to see Van Halen live, as well as Heart & Aerosmith. Hell, even Journey of that era would be somewhat interesting. And if they release the whole series of Texas Jam shows, Boston & Rush turn up in 1979. Worst thing about this concert series? Spam Hagar (either solo or with Van Hagar) played about half of them. :puke:

ThrillsNSpills
10-13-2011, 03:55 PM
I liked the mention of "Frank Marino and the Mahagony Rush", myself. :lmao:

:)

ThrillsNSpills
10-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Did Aerosmith play well at TexasJam?
I know they were having problems and used it as a cashgrab/buying time strategy but I don't know if their performance suffered that much at the time.

chefcraig
10-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Did Aerosmith play well at TexasJam?
I know they were having problems and used it as a cashgrab/buying time strategy but I don't know if their performance suffered that much at the time.

Apparently they played well enough to release the performance on home video back in the eighties or early nineties. You can find most (if not all) of the footage at Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aerosmith+texxas+jam&aq=f).

Va Beach VH Fan
10-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Yup, I remember watching that on video....

chefcraig
10-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Yup, I remember watching that on video....

For a while there, Aerosmith was putting out new VHS tapes just about every year. The first was called Video Scrapbook, or something like that. It had a couple of rare videos and a bunch of live footage. It also had a track from the Texxas Jam ("Big Ten Inch") that oddly enough didn't show up when they put out the official release couple of years later.

Terry
10-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Yeah, the Stones were touring on their own in 1978, but at least that video is finally coming out - in the theaters next week, and on DVD/BluRay next month. No Mick Taylor in 78 though.

As far as this Texas Jam thing goes, It would always be great to see Van Halen live, as well as Heart & Aerosmith. Hell, even Journey of that era would be somewhat interesting. And if they release the whole series of Texas Jam shows, Boston & Rush turn up in 1979. Worst thing about this concert series? Spam Hagar (either solo or with Van Hagar) played about half of them. :puke:

Hagar solo pre-VH was a bit more tolerable than his post-VH solo career.

It'd be great to have those Jam shows released. I'd scoop 'em up in a heartbeat. Odd clips have been put out over the years here and there on various releases...back in the 1970s, when rock bands played loud and concert audiences were fucked up and ready for a good time, as opposed to the last 1/2 dozen or so shows I've seen where every venue is overly concerned with decibel levels and the front rows are filled with yuppies paying $300 a pop to take pictures of themselves on their iphones so they can update their facebook pages and let everyone know they are at a concert.

Fucking gayness.

ThatArtGuy
10-14-2011, 01:14 AM
For a while there, Aerosmith was putting out new VHS tapes just about every year. The first was called Video Scrapbook, or something like that. It had a couple of rare videos and a bunch of live footage. It also had a track from the Texxas Jam ("Big Ten Inch") that oddly enough didn't show up when they put out the official release couple of years later.

I have that VHS tape. Transferred it to DVD a couple years back. Don't have to worry about the tape sagging in storage anymore. :D

Diamondjimi
10-14-2011, 02:16 AM
I have that VHS tape. Transferred it to DVD a couple years back. Don't have to worry about the tape sagging in storage anymore. :D

Did the same thing...

Kinda cool that they used a photo of VH on the article...
http://www.archwaypictures.com/images/1page-img4.jpg

Hardrock69
10-15-2011, 04:05 AM
Goddammit! Between this dude and fucking Krebs, they oughta have enough footage to create a fucking 6-DVD set with all the bands!

FOOTAGE OF VAN HALEN'S SET WOULD BE FUCKING PRICELESS!!!

Hell, if this ever gets actually released, even if they just show a few minutes of VH's set, it will be worth owning for sure!

Diamondjimi
10-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Absolutely!

John_Downing
10-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Definitely waiting myself. Been searching the internet for years for pics and possible videos. The pic above from back side of set was taken by Vernon Gowdy III rock photographer. Vernon has a website and I have purchased some pics from him. He made me a poster size shot of Jam 1 where me and my buds were standing in the sea of flesh about 20 feet from the stage. I went to the first 3 and then the one in 86. The first year we camped out in line and when we hit the field I am guessing around 630 when the gates opened there were no more that 50 people in the Cotton Bowl. Lots of crazy memories. Hoping this video will be released. Summer 2011 has come and gone. I do know that some of the video off the trailer is off the Aerosmith DVD from Jam 1 also. Hopefully it is not a bunch of recycled video off that product.

John_Downing
10-15-2011, 09:49 AM
http://texxasjambook.com/

Vernon Gowdy's book. I bought a copy for the coffee table

John_Downing
10-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Here is a link to a Circus Magazine I purchased off Ebay. I scanned the cover and entire article if anybody would like a copy email me. It is about 5 MB in size and if I knew how to post it here I would.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=310319607010&si=DXgVP6XBhJUplgtJzYqcvMQYZ5Q%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

John_Downing
10-15-2011, 09:59 AM
In case you have lived under a rock. From the Stage at the Cotton Bowl ..Approx 11 AM, 1 July 1978...I present to you a 4 second clip of VH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vB217zJmKY

John_Downing
10-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Not sure if this link will stay up for long. Jam 1. From Vernon Gowdy to me. This is my Poster shot pic.

http://www.vernongowdy.com/11960015.jpg

Terry
10-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Like you and Diamondjimi, had the same Aerosmith Video Scrapbook on VHS and ended up transferring it to dvd. Lot of cool Smith footage on that thing. VH1 Classic also airs individual clips from the various Tex/Cali Jams from time to time.

fletch
10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
priceless....lol

gbranton
10-19-2011, 03:04 AM
Here is a link to a Circus Magazine I purchased off Ebay. I scanned the cover and entire article if anybody would like a copy email me. It is about 5 MB in size and if I knew how to post it here I would.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=310319607010&si=DXgVP6XBhJUplgtJzYqcvMQYZ5Q%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I have a strange feeling someday I am going to REALLY regret throwing away that box full of Circus magazines.

Hardrock69
10-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Damn John, what a killer photo that is! Thanks for the link!

John_Downing
10-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Yea it was a good shot. The best thing is that is my poster shot I got framed and hanging on my wall here in my Computer room. I can see me and my Buds clear as day right at the front. That is my relished piece of Concert memorabilia.

Hardrock69
10-28-2011, 05:35 AM
I have a friend who was front row when Judas Priest filmed their Screaming For Vengeance show in Memphis...Dec. 1982. Every time I watch it I see her, lol.

John_Downing
11-12-2011, 05:57 PM
A pic I bought from Vernon Gowdy.

John_Downing
11-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Another pic I bought from Vernon Gowdy

John_Downing
11-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Jam 1...crowd from Afar Vernon Gowdy

John_Downing
11-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Pic I have is too big for my scanner. So I had to put it under the glass a few times. The master pic you can see them all walking off the stage at Texxas Jam 1 Together. These cats stole the F'ing show! This is where Texas Fell in love with these guys!

John_Downing
11-12-2011, 06:22 PM
I am somewhere under the water.

VHscraps
11-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Great pics, man. Thank you for posting.

These are the kind of VH images we don't see enough of.

John_Downing
11-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Texxas Jam 1 was absolutely the GREATEST concert I have ever been to. The reason it was the Greatest was Van Halen early in the morning when it was still cool and shady near the stage. I have been to a million concerts but my proximity to the stage and line up made this concert My ABSOLUTE all time favorites #1. I still look at the poster size shot I have here in my computer room and see me and my buds on 1 July 78 near the stage and reminisce about the day. Van Halen Rocked the Fucking COTTON BOWL and that Electricity I have never experienced again in my life as far as a concert event. It was ELECTRIC!!! It was Van Halen in their infancy....CRAZY FUCKING MIND BOGGLING GREAT!!!!

John_Downing
11-12-2011, 06:55 PM
I hate to sound dramatic, but that day in Texas July 78 when I think about Van Halen still brings CHILLS to my body. It was one of my most amazing moments of my 49 years...No BS..FACT! I was so close that if would have spit 3 times it would have hit Michael Anthony. That event is burned into my eternal memory as one of the favorite moments in my life!!!!!. In 78 there was no internet...and me and my buds sat down months before in amazement listening over and over again to that first album. I forget. I think we were studying the Bible (wink) when that album gripped our soul. A few months after the debut album release we saw the entire album performed. I got a bad ass scar when I was fighting for front row in 79 in Midland Texas and the stage barricade collapsed . Seen the original line up 3 times. Seen V-Hagar once.

John_Downing
11-12-2011, 07:01 PM
People..You just do not know how ELECTRIFYING the event was.... No SHIt, Jam 1..It was Nuclear!

John_Downing
11-12-2011, 07:05 PM
I hate to say, but 30 seconds ago when I re-read my post it truly brought tears to my eyes. There is no words to describe the event. Amazing x100 maybe.

Cato
11-12-2011, 07:27 PM
I hate to say, but 30 seconds ago when I re-read my post it truly brought tears to my eyes. There is no words to describe the event. Amazing x100 maybe.
the most sentimental post I've ever read.

John_Downing
11-13-2011, 10:55 AM
AWW SHucks....Now back to Cussing and Swilling beers down. Fuck it was great... :o)

Hardrock69
11-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Haha dude, I have posted similarly so many times about my experience seeing them Sept. 29 of that year in Seattle. Words cannot describe.

People these days who only know of van hagar, or who missed the first tour or the first two tours just had to have been there.

Nice posts man. Glad to have shared the feeling with you, though we were in different areas of the country at different stops on their tour.

Thanks for the pics!

John_Downing
11-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Yes Partner..I will admit..It was EARTH SHATTERING. One would have had to be there to attest to the Fucking Monumental Occasion it was. All I can say is........WOW! I got the T-Shirt! I was there! It was fucking Smoking!

John_Downing
11-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I am dying to see the Jam 1 documentary. That day I saw a bunch of cameras from the stage sweeping our areas. I remember I just kept thinking...I hope my Mom does not see these clips! LOL, may God rest her Soul!

TexxasJam78
01-21-2012, 10:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU_2e7E-GJw

July 4th weekend 1978, Cotton Bowl, Dallas, TX. Almost 100,000 people crammed into the first real stadium rock show in the south. Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Van Halen, Heart, Journey, Eddie Money, Headeast, Walter Egan, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Cheech and Chong and more!!! After 5 years of filming and contract delays, the documentary will finally be released Summer 2012.

To stay updated on release dates and extras, "like" us on Facebook.com/ArchwayPictures.com

"Story is VH just got back from Japan, had their gear stolen, no one in Texas had ever seen anything like them. They took the show!"

Hardrock69
01-22-2012, 03:07 AM
Right on! Can't wait to see this!

Sure wish I could see Van Halen's set in it's entirety though.....

Hardrock69
01-22-2012, 03:14 AM
Hey....you guys want a lead on some other Texas show that has never been released? Video which was "lost"?

In the late 1960s, the Jimi Hendrix Experience played at a venue in Dallas, TX.

The owner of the venue had a primitive (by today's standards) closed-circuit video setup, and he used to videotape all the bands that played at the venue.

He videotaped the JHE set in it's entirety.

Right after Jimi died in 1970, he approached Warner Bros. Records and offered to sell the videotape to them. WB declined to buy it.

The guy was never heard from again.

Might be worth some detective work. Experience Hendrix LLC has a history of suing people who even mention Jimi by name without their consent.

IF you could find this though, and buy it from whoever has it, you could make some cash on it by selling it to Experience Hendrix.

78/84 guy
01-22-2012, 12:54 PM
This wll be cool. I hope we get some live VH 1978 out of it.

VAiN
01-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Holy shit! If this contains CVH footage it will be priceless!

silverfish
01-22-2012, 03:34 PM
See also this thread (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?63394) from Oct. 2011.

ELVIS
01-22-2012, 04:02 PM
This wont see the light of day...

msorrels
02-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Vernon has some photos of VH from behind the stage at Texxas Jam I that show they were using Head East's gear. Van Halen's amps didn't make it to Dallas for the show. About 4 a.m. that day Van Halen's stage manager asked our road manager, Curtis, if they could use our Marshalls. We couldn't figure out how to make it work and Head East's guy stepped up and let them use their gear.

tommyv
02-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Vernon has some photos of VH from behind the stage at Texxas Jam I that show they were using Head East's gear. Van Halen's amps didn't make it to Dallas for the show. About 4 a.m. that day Van Halen's stage manager asked our road manager, Curtis, if they could use our Marshalls. We couldn't figure out how to make it work and Head East's guy stepped up and let them use their gear.

Cool story..

This your band?
http://www.darksilver.com/blackstone/index.html

ODShowtime
02-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Vernon has some photos of VH from behind the stage at Texxas Jam I that show they were using Head East's gear. Van Halen's amps didn't make it to Dallas for the show.

Yeah I was looking at that nice head-on shot of the band and I was thinking that didn't really look like Van Halen's backline. Even on their first tour I would imagine they had less meager-looking amps.

Hardrock69
08-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Currently the Archway Pictures site lists this documentary as to be released NOW (Summer 2013).

Be nice to hear when.

http://www.archwaypictures.com/#

Kristy
08-15-2013, 02:38 PM
I can wait a while longer.