PDA

View Full Version : Hey Kids! Turn In Your Drugs To The DEA (Paranoid Rant)

Kristy
10-26-2011, 04:18 PM
In my ever-increasing paranoia:

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drug_disposal/takeback/index.html

I especially was taken back by this part:

" [The] DEA in conjunction with state and local law enforcement agencies throughout the United States conducted National Prescription Drug Take Back Days on Saturday, September 25, 2010 and April 25, 2011. Nearly, 4,000 state and local law enforcement agencies throughout the nation participated in these events, collecting more than 309 tons of pills."

390 TONS of pills in just one day? Okay, they don't want your drugs, they want you prescription narcotics. And going all paranoid Alex Jones-ish here does anyone else see this as a possible precursor to other "things" you might own that the government may deem to be a "public safety hazard?" Like your firearm?

And now they are bringing this "we've come for your pills" day back - only now with more rhetoric claiming that if you are in possession of say, Vicodin at a traffic stop you can be charged with trafficking so you know you will give them up voluntarily under a "no questions asked" policy.

To me, this is programming for bigger plans from our (current) government. A slow but progressive process of having you freely give up your possessions or face a severe penalty after of being informed of the consequences if you don't.

lesfunk
10-26-2011, 05:39 PM
I know what they are trying to say. "drop off your unused 'scripts so they aren't lying around for your teenager to get into" but I prefer the paranoid angle myself.

Kristy
10-26-2011, 05:58 PM
It's just conditioning. What's next? Turn in your old ammunition because that might pose a threat to public health? Have kids report their parents if they criticize the government? Times are getting weird and one cannot help to be paranoid.

lesfunk
10-26-2011, 06:02 PM
I would much rather have folks send their vicodin to me for disposal...

Kristy
10-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Vicodin is sooooooo 2010.

lesfunk
10-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Good! I'm ahead of the game. I'm soooo 1994!

Nitro Express
10-26-2011, 06:22 PM
It's just conditioning. What's next? Turn in your old ammunition because that might pose a threat to public health? Have kids report their parents if they criticize the government? Times are getting weird and one cannot help to be paranoid.

"Government is not eloquence or reason. It is force. It's a dangerous servant and a fearsome master." --George Washington--

I never give the government any more authority than is absolutely necessary.

Nitro Express
10-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Hey. Our government now kills US Citizens without a fair trial. It also killed 1.5 million people in Iraq and is still invading more countries. Then you have them telling you to spy on your neighbor at Wal-Mart. What is there to be paranoid about? The government just wants to be your mommy and daddy and when it gets angry, it kills people.

mh5150
10-26-2011, 06:59 PM
I would much rather have folks send their vicodin to me for disposal...

When i was on my ACTIVE ADDICTION Vicodin was like eating tic tacs.

Seshmeister
10-26-2011, 07:05 PM
"Government is not eloquence or reason. It is force. It's a dangerous servant and a fearsome master." --George Washington--

"Bring me one of my slave girls. I'm going to rape her anus until it bleeds."--George Washington--

standin
10-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Holy kipper koo! This is not even a remotely new concept.
Dangerous things are often ballyhooed for a special day free drop off. Indeed, Rite aid charges you to dispose of your excess drugs.
Money is often offered for guns by JS. And often, at least once a year in crime ridden areas ammunition and gun disposal for free.
Every year, a agency offers free toxic waste disposal.

How could you just be noticing this?
What do you do with your old drugs, paint, and ammo? :doh:

sadaist
10-26-2011, 07:52 PM
if you are in possession of say, Vicodin at a traffic stop you can be charged with trafficking

All of the pharmacies sell little containers to carry pills in. Some plastic, some metal, some a very cool. The problem is now you are carrying unlabeled pills in a bottle without your name on it. That is illegal. Not sure how the pharmacies get away with selling these. I mentioned to the pharmacist that it's illegal to carry pills around NOT in the original bottle and she had no idea.

I take certain medications and don't want to carry a full prescription bottle with me everywhere I go. So I keep what I need in a small container. To protect myself, I also keep a duplicate label from the original bottle in my truck at all times. Just in case I get pulled over & searched and they find these pills...they can look in my glovebox to see the original label prescribed to me.

Although an asshole cop could probably arrest me and/or confiscate my meds anyways. Luckily there are so few asshole cops, right? ;)

sadaist
10-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Example

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSL8p7WB0EGofofzUMF5H_o8PrdhaNf4 Z0qlvbLCtGl8meNJeLCBA

standin
10-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Sadist,
I have wondered about travel and pharms. I have to carry intramuscular needles, though I have never worried about car travels. I do wonder how that will go when going through an airport including my vials. my vials are not individually labeled. I guess sooner or later, I will find out what it is like to air travel with them.... If I don't die first. :P (joke!)

sadaist
10-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Sadist,
I have wondered about travel and pharms. I have to carry intramuscular needles, though I have never worried about car travels. I do wonder how that will go when going through an airport including my vials. my vials are not individually labeled. I guess sooner or later, I will find out what it is like to air travel with them.... If I don't die first. :P (joke!)

Perhaps theres a procedure where you can turn in what you may require on-flight ahead of time to the airplane crew to hold throughout the flight until you might need it. And then return it to you at the end of the flight. There HAS to be some way to have those things accessible on a flight. Way too many people require things like this.

Nitro Express
10-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I haven't been pulled over by a cop in 15 years. I've always had good luck that way. It's like I can smell them.

Seshmeister
10-26-2011, 09:19 PM
I bet you haven't been asked for ID buying booze either.

It's one of the few advantages of getting older.

That said over here in Blade Runner land I got pulled over a few years ago for an out of date tax disk which I had forgotten about and completely deserved to be done. I asked the cop a few times before he would tell me why he had pulled me over.

Turned out his car had pinged. They have a thing on the top of the squad car which reads your registration and then checks the central stolen cars, tax and insurance databases. I was really impressed. :)

Satan
10-26-2011, 09:23 PM
When i was on my ACTIVE ADDICTION Vicodin was like eating tic tacs.

Are you Dr. House? Or Nurse Elvis??

Seshmeister
10-26-2011, 09:37 PM
I'd much rather be on Vicodin than some fundamentalist Jesus cult.

Nitro Express
10-26-2011, 09:55 PM
I think a few belts of whiskey is more effective than Vicodin. I have a whole bottle full of it left over from surgery and I never used the wimpy shit.

Nitro Express
10-26-2011, 10:05 PM
I bet you haven't been asked for ID buying booze either.

It's one of the few advantages of getting older.

That said over here in Blade Runner land I got pulled over a few years ago for an out of date tax disk which I had forgotten about and completely deserved to be done. I asked the cop a few times before he would tell me why he had pulled me over.

Turned out his car had pinged. They have a thing on the top of the squad car which reads your registration and then checks the central stolen cars, tax and insurance databases. I was really impressed. :)

Actually I had to show ID at the liquor store last week. I'm 45 but I don't have any grey hair and I have all my hair. I've always been in shape. My dad didn't start to go grey until he was in his 60's.

knuckleboner
10-26-2011, 10:27 PM
this is WAY no big deal. it's because people dispose of medicine in really bad ways. mostly flushing them down the toilets. a little here, a little there. when it all ends up in the water supply eventually, it's a much bigger deal. look up endocrine disruptors and intersex fish.

encouraging people to properly dispose of unused medicine is about the best thing the government can do in this case.

Seshmeister
10-26-2011, 10:41 PM
I think a few belts of whiskey is more effective than Vicodin. I have a whole bottle full of it left over from surgery and I never used the wimpy shit.

The John Wayne approach to pain relief? I agree at least in the short term and for non extreme stuff. Booze is a very straightforward uncomplicated drug and at least the pitfalls are obvious and quite easy to predict. I really try and avoid medication, at the moment I've been lucky enough to get by in an average year with just say one course of antibiotics and about 6 aspirin.

Nitro Express
10-27-2011, 12:41 AM
The John Wayne approach to pain relief? I agree at least in the short term and for non extreme stuff. Booze is a very straightforward uncomplicated drug and at least the pitfalls are obvious and quite easy to predict. I really try and avoid medication, at the moment I've been lucky enough to get by in an average year with just say one course of antibiotics and about 6 aspirin.

Wild Turkey 101 proof bourbon is a great painkiller. If you have a cold or the flu mix some with hot water, honey, apple cider vinegar and you will be amazed. The honey is a natural antibiotic.

For pain Ibuprofen is good and if it's serious pain, Wild Turkey. I never touched the opiates.

Nitro Express
10-27-2011, 12:44 AM
this is WAY no big deal. it's because people dispose of medicine in really bad ways. mostly flushing them down the toilets. a little here, a little there. when it all ends up in the water supply eventually, it's a much bigger deal. look up endocrine disruptors and intersex fish.

encouraging people to properly dispose of unused medicine is about the best thing the government can do in this case.

Our mayor said put the drugs in kitty litter and dispose of them in the trash. They don't want you flushing them because the sewer treatment plant apparently doesn't process the drugs out of the water and it goes into the river. I'm on a septic tank but I guess I don't want to get the worms in the lawn high.

Seshmeister
10-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Wild Turkey 101 proof bourbon is a great painkiller. If you have a cold or the flu mix some with hot water, honey, apple cider vinegar and you will be amazed. The honey is a natural antibiotic.

Replace the apple cider vinegar with scotch whisky and you have a 'hot toddy' which is pretty much the main cold and flu medicine here through the Winter.

Downside is it always leads to arguments when I find out she's been putting the good single malt in her toddies... :)

Nitro Express
10-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah. Cutty Sark would do the job. That's like using Patron tequila for a margarita.