11-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Well, I guess we know why he retired.

He died after minor surgery...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57319150/andy-rooney-dead-at-92/

Of course...at 92...what's minor...

Christ, I'm never going to retire...

chefcraig
11-05-2011, 08:24 AM
The guy led one hell of a life. Being a war correspondent in WWII definitely left a mark on him. I already miss him.

Thanks for your time, Mr. Rooney.

Kristy
11-05-2011, 11:08 AM
You know what this means, don't you? The Chief Craig is now the oldest person on the planet.

clarathecarrot
11-05-2011, 11:37 AM
That old geezers take on the news was and is how I see all repor'tage by someone on the subject of anything.

I understand the need for news of things I just have a mind like a sieve so it never matters what is said I am still like,.. what ..?

I never had to do LSD again after I saw Rooney.

He was cool, although I havent seen his face in 20 years, allways liked his endless rambling about nothing of any matter at all.

A live well lived.:clap:

RIP

Kristy
11-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Oh Please. Rooney was the commercialized and allegorical stereotype of the grumpy old man. His repetitive "You know what gets me..." anecdotal line long worn out his welcome. He was the type of dude to write a complaint letter to the cook if the oatmeal in his nursing home was cold.

PETE'S BROTHER
11-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Oh Please. Kristy was the commercialized and allegorical stereotype of the whiney chick. Her repetitive "You know what gets me..." anecdotal line long worn out her welcome. She was the type of dud to write a complaint letter to the cook if the oatmeal in her nursing home was cold.

he hated zepplin too.....

Diamondjimi
11-05-2011, 12:36 PM
R.I.P. you cranky old fart!

FORD
11-05-2011, 02:05 PM
When he did his last show on 60 Minutes a couple of weeks ago (after being gone for most of the past year) it was obvious he didn't have a lot of time left. 92 is a pretty damn good run though. Truly an end of an era for 60 Minutes fans. Morley Safer is now the only one left from the "classic" lineup of the show, and (apart from me wanting to fuck the shit out of Lara Logan) the current cast aren't nearly adequate replacements for Andy, Mike Wallace, and the rest of the old school 60 Minutes.

Rest in peace, Andy. You earned it :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5xqYeTQLTU

Nitro Express
11-05-2011, 02:18 PM
I actually found Rooney annoying. His schtick was to be the grumpy old man complaining about something at the end of 60 minutes. I guess the dude was like Vanna White. You really couldn't figure out why he was so popular and they will never leave television until they drop dead.

Kristy
11-05-2011, 02:46 PM
I agree. He was cantankerous senile asshole.

Guitar Shark
11-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I agree. He was cantankerous senile asshole.

I see that your time away did wonders for your cheery attitude...

Kristy
11-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks, Shark. That meant a lot. How you been? I came out of another horrible relationship. But that's a different topic completely.

Nitro Express
11-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Of course the 60 Minutes style of ilk was some old crusty telling the youth they were fucked and fucked up. Same ol shit. As soon as the rest of these old men kick the bucket it will be the end of something that frankly probably won't be missed that much.

FORD
11-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Real journalism won't be missed much?

No, I guess not. At least not from people who believe what they hear on FAUX Noize, or posted by teabaggers on YouTube.

Nitro Express
11-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Real journalism won't be missed much?

No, I guess not. At least not from people who believe what they hear on FAUX Noize, or posted by teabaggers on YouTube.

Don't forget MSNBC in your list. If you think Russia Today or Malloy is real journalism then enjoy your acid trip.

FORD
11-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Malloy never claimed to be a journalist, though he did write for CNN back when it was an actual news network and not part of the CIA propaganda front company known as "AOL".

RT is probably the most honest news network around. Sad that it's not actually on TV in most of the country. MSNBC? I'd say Rachel Maddow qualifies as a journalist. She's put her ass on the line and gone after the story herself on many occasions. But what 60 Minutes did, in its prime, was true investigative journalism. They exposed a lot of corrupt bullshit. Crooked bastards would piss their pants when they heard Mike Wallace was coming to their office. They aren't scared of CIA embed Scott Pelley, or CIA reject (and rich inheritance kid) Anderson Vanderbilt Cooper at all. And they definitely aren't scared of "obamaisacommiekenyan" on YouTube.

Nitro Express
11-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Mike Wallace could be bought off. The Mormons did. He could have really ripped into the Mormon church but instead he threw softballs in his interview with the Mormon prophet, became friends, and even wrote the intro to the Mormon prophet's autobiography.

That all started with a 60 Minutes interview. Pure softball. Of course when you are allowed to be one of the few journalists allowed to interview the Mormon prophet that is a stroke to the ego. Gordon B. Hinckley had Mike Wallace wrapped around his little finger.

Nitro Express
11-05-2011, 05:30 PM
The only real journalists now are freelancers and there are very few of them. Probably the last decent journalistic publication is ironically Rolling Stone magazine. They suck at rating who is a good guitarists but they do publish some good journalism. All the rest of the media is pretty much Citizen Kane shit.

Nitro Express
11-05-2011, 05:34 PM
To be honest, I think 60 Minutes should give Malloy Rooney's old job. The old fuck is full of enough anger to probably do some good ranting.

mdstl
11-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Andy should have gotten 60 Rollover Minutes. He'd probably still be alive.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-05-2011, 08:35 PM
It's kinda sad I guess, but the first thing I thought of when I saw HOW he died was ALinchainz....

Rooney was 92, granted, but he died from complications from surgery, basically like Mick did....

You just never know what can happen when you go under the knife....

Hardrock69
11-06-2011, 01:09 AM
His "Cantankerous Old Man" thing was what he did. Thing is, he did what a lot of great comedians do: He bitched about stuff we all think about, even though WE may not actually complain about it. He was a "critic" of those little odd things that no other news person would even bother with.

He led a good long life. He deserved his success. Love him or hate him, he deserved every bit of it. And watching him on 60 Minutes, after seeing some segments that absolutely would piss anyone off (about gummint corruption, political crap, corporate skullduggery, Wall Street thievery), he never failed to make me smile. Sorta like a little bit of comedic relief at the end of a depressing movie.

Some see him as just a bitchy old man. But he was funny, in his own way.

R.I.P. MISTER Rooney. Much respect to you sir. Thanks for everything you brought to TV news.

High Life Man
11-06-2011, 03:09 PM
60 Minutes should hire Lewis Black to take Rooney's chair.

chefcraig
11-06-2011, 03:18 PM
60 Minutes should hire Lewis Black to take Rooney's chair.

I was thinking the same thing myself yesterday. Two minutes of Black is worth 2 hours of just about any other observational comic working these days.

High Life Man
11-06-2011, 03:25 PM
I was thinking the same thing myself yesterday. Two minutes of Black is worth 2 hours of just about any other observational comic working these days.

He's funny, he's relevant and he has a message. Rooney was 2 minutes of inane bullshit.

fryingdutchman
11-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Yes, Andy was a cranky old fuck, but he was the first one to admit it and he practically wore it like a badge of honor.

I think his last words on "60 Minutes" were something like ..."If you see me in a restaurant, just leave me be" or something to that effect.

It was observational humor, which grew increasingly political as years passed. Some like it, some didn't. But at the end of the day Andy didn't give a shit and he'd let you know that in no uncertain terms.

Rest In Peace, Andy.

Seshmeister
11-07-2011, 09:28 AM

Came across him through Curb, Louis CK is good too.

Actually what would be better would be 2 minutes of Doug Stanhope who is actually more successful here than over there.

Not sure CBS is quite ready for him though...

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/QjsikRTIX28?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/QjsikRTIX28?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Hardrock69
11-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Saw the "memorial" piece on him on 60 M last night. Happened to be at my Mom's house and she had it on.

I still hold to my statement about his essays being comedic relief for the fucking corruption stories on earlier in the show. Last night was a fucking doozy....more crap about the corruption that goes on in the Republican Party (not saying Democrats are any less corrupt).

They showed some interviews with him that changed my opinion of him as a person.

He was a jackass. Yes, a cranky old motherfucker. Morley Schaffer asked him why he refused to sign autographs for people.

He said something like "I get PAID to write. What person in their right mind is going to find value in me writing my name on a scrap of paper?"

Fuck that motherfucker! :mad:

He should be HONORED that people think enough of him to want his autograph as a memento.

I can understand him not wanting to be hassled or bothered while eating in a restaurant....but he derides his viewing public....putting them down for thinking he is worthy of attention......

So, as stated above...his pieces on 60 minutes were quirky, curmudgeonly, etc. but they DID have some entertainment value. He pretty much despised rock music.

But yes, he was a cranky old bastard and I have decided after watching interviews with him last night that I am not going to miss his crap at all. If I need comedic relief after watching 60 Minutes, I can read some of the bullshit posted here by some of the troll fucks that stop in from time to time.

Nitro Express
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
I think we are seeing the parties themselves have been hijacked. After looking at how the Obama Administration has behaved I swear the Koch Brothers probably bought the Democrats off too. Once you own all the candidates it does not matter if the public can vote or not. I really don't think Mitt Romney would be much of a change from Barrack.

They showed some interviews with him that changed my opinion of him as a person.

He was a jackass. Yes, a cranky old motherfucker. Morley Schaffer asked him why he refused to sign autographs for people.

He said something like "I get PAID to write. What person in their right mind is going to find value in me writing my name on a scrap of paper?"

I hated the guy when I saw him on some World War II documentary on bombing crews. Rooney came off as such a pompous asshole that I lost all respect for him. Here you had US airmen going up in B-17's and Liberators getting slaughtered in day light bombing raids and the whining asshole Rooney just had to report on it and cry he was against the war in a pompous manner. Then he said he finally changed his mind on the war when he saw his first Nazi concentration camp. Something about the guy struck me that he was nothing more than a pompous whiner his whole life crying about life into his typewriter.

Nitro Express
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Here's to you Andy Rooney. A man who was a legend in his own mind.:biggrin:

FORD
11-07-2011, 03:25 PM
The last two weeks of 60 Minutes illustrate perfectly how the show has become a shell of its former self.

Last week, Bernie Madoff's family was allowed to paint themselves as victims and shame on all of us for thinking they knew anything about his crimes (Yeah right)
This week the putrid piece of shit Jack Abramoff got airtime to tell us all what a swell fucking guy he is.

Geezus... what's gonna be on next week? Lloyd "economic treason is God's work" Blankfein of Gold Mansacks sharing his fucking Thanksgiving turkey recipes??

Matt White
11-07-2011, 04:50 PM
I remember reading one of Andy's books when I was a kid back in the late 70's....just his observations....laughed for weeks

He was a WWII correspondant......

He was extremely relevant when 60 Minutes ruled TV............

Good night Mr Rooney.........................

High Life Man
11-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Here's to you Andy Rooney. A man who was a legend in his own mind.:biggrin:

So is Caliendo. His 15 expired years ago.

ZahZoo
11-08-2011, 09:18 AM
You know what this means, don't you? The Chief Craig is now the oldest person on the planet.

Not quite... there's still some stiff competition that you youngsters can try and keep up with...

Seshmeister
11-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Getting older is still better than the alternative...

Guitar Shark
11-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Came across him through Curb, Louis CK is good too.

Are you thinking of Richard Lewis? I don't think Lewis Black has ever been on Curb.

Seshmeister
11-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Yes I was, confused in my old age.

Sensible Shoes
11-10-2011, 04:46 PM
I came out of another horrible relationship. But that's a different topic completely.

Sorry to hear that. I get that way too.