PDA

View Full Version : Ace Frehley's book No Regrets is a good read.

Nitro Express
11-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I got Ace's book a few days ago and it's a good interesting read. Being a kid in the 1970's KISS was really the band that stood out. I remember going into department stores and seeing the huge, well laid out KISS album displays and being very intrigued by what it was all about. Then I heard the music and had to have it. Ace probably was the first rock guitarists that really caught my attention. Hendrix was before my time and ironically in the mid 70's to a kid, the 60's was a long way in the past. KISS was something unique and new.

Anyways, one of the great rock and roll books in my opinion and worth getting.

DLR Bridge
11-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm right there with you on the 1970's kid experience, but what I really wanna know is if Ace rightfully skewers Gene in this book. Do tell. Thanks.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I got it a few days ago, looked through the pics, but haven't started reading yet...

Still going through the EVH book.... :rockin:

Nitro Express
11-09-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm right there with you on the 1970's kid experience, but what I really wanna know is if Ace rightfully skewers Gene in this book. Do tell. Thanks.

Ace says a lot about Gene. The good and the bad. I think Ace is a straight shooter and tells it how it was. Gene was the guy that never got wasted, was obsessed with marketing the KISS brand from day one, worked his ass off, saved Ace's life twice, was a womanizer to the point to where Ace wondered if the man was a sex addict, talks about being roomates with Gene and Gene getting the crabs from all the skanks he was banging. Then the costumes got all tossed in with Gene's costume and all of KISS got pubic lice. Like I said, interesting book.

Matt White
11-09-2011, 07:41 PM
LOL T-M-I!!!

I'm sure I'll get it soon.....ACE IS KISS

Terry
11-25-2011, 08:29 AM
The book is really...just okay. It's got some good pics, and there are some good stories. My main gripe with it would be that the book itself is concerned mostly with Ace's life up until about 1983, with the last thirty years or so kinda crammed into the very end of the book. While there were several "wild and crazy party life on the road" style stories that were pretty funny, it was kinda odd that there wasn't nearly as much info regarding how the KISS records were made as I would have expected. Also, for $30, the book seemed a bit light in terms of the amount of pages and pics.
Ace really didn't light into Gene quite as much as I thought he would have, but it's clear he essentially thinks Gene's greed is his primary motivation for everything he does. Not exactly a revelation. One thing that can be said is Frehley is pretty honest about his faults as well.
Overall, not bad, but for the price one would expect a bit more.

Mr Badguy
11-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Out of the 4 original members of Ki$$, Ace is the one I am most likely to believe.

Not actually believe, but probably closest to the truth.

Hardrock69
11-28-2011, 05:17 AM
Yeah.

My inspiration to play guitar was Billy Gibbons. Next was Ace Frehley. However, being a newbie at guitar, I could not EVEN play anything that Billy was playing with the exception of the basic "La Grange" lick in A.

But....I was at a music store a week or so after I bought my first electric (by the way, Dec. 4th will be the 35th anniversary of that purchase....and the beginnings of my descent to hell, lol), I think it was Musicland, and I happened to look at a rack of magazines and books and stuff and lo and behold there was a "Kiss - Easy Guitar" book. I bought that fucker so fast.

It helped me out a bit in giving me the basic chords, but the problem was (and I did not know this until several weeks later) Kiss tuned down a half-step, and I knew nothing about tuning down.
So in the first month or so of learning how to play I was trying to learn their first 5 studio albums of stuff in A-440, lol. Being front row to see them January 9, 1977, I watched Ace play a lot of stuff I had been trying to figure out, and I realized he had to be tuning down half a step....

The rest is history.

I think I will hold off on buying this. Will wait and get a copy at the used bookstore someday.

indeedido
12-04-2011, 10:32 AM
I picked up the book too and am at the part after the audition and they are getting signed. Ace loved Eddie Kramer, no doubt why my fav album is Rock and Roll Over, produced by Eddie Kramer. Great live sound, raw.

hain23x
12-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Terry's review nailed it. I got this from a secret Santa at work a few weeks ago and finished it the other day.Its a good little read but it's very light on post first run KISS stuff.
I'vw enjoyed other KISS books more than this one. I love how he blasts Gene. Basically said that Gene was a weirdo with no friends but we knew that already. I didn't know he ran around with the SNL guys back in the day. I would have loved to have been at some of those parties

Terry
12-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Terry's review nailed it. I got this from a secret Santa at work a few weeks ago and finished it the other day.Its a good little read but it's very light on post first run KISS stuff.
I'vw enjoyed other KISS books more than this one. I love how he blasts Gene. Basically said that Gene was a weirdo with no friends but we knew that already. I didn't know he ran around with the SNL guys back in the day. I would have loved to have been at some of those parties

Yeah, the friendship he struck up with Belushi was something I hadn't been aware of, that was pretty interesting to read about...some of the most interesting bits to me were the years prior to him joining KISS, if only because I hadn't read anything about his pre-KISS life beyond the ususal one-or-two line standard bio blurbs.

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 01:51 PM
There were a handful of books that I wanted to get and start reading after the Christmas season (this being one of them). On a whim I decided to buy a Kindle Fire and I downloaded Ace's book, along with the autobios of Iommi, Glenn Hughes and Butch Walker. Started with the Glenn Hughes book (content is cool, but it's poorly written... tangential and disjointed... shame on the co-writer who's responsibility should be to tighten up Glenn's ramblings). I planned on saving the best for last, which in my opinion will be Ace's book. I'll probably ready Iommi's next. The only books I read are rock biographies.

gbranton
01-13-2012, 04:15 AM
Like some of the rest of you, I got a few books for Christmas (I am a big reader and collector) and I have read Ace's and Tony Iommi's books in the past couple of weeks. I enjoyed Ace's book quite a bit. It's not heavy reading by any stretch and does sort of focus mostly on his KISS years but KISS was the first real rock band I ever got into, I have been a fan since 1975 and information about KISS has been pretty well controlled up until now, so I ate it up. I saw that Peter Criss is writing a book too, I am sure I will be getting that one as well. As far as rating it goes, I would put it a little above Iommi's book (which I enjoyed as well) but well below Keith Richard's "Life" and Nikki Sixx's "The Heroin Diaries". Iommi's book got me going on Sabbath, so now I am starting "I Am Ozzy".

Mr Walker
02-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Finished reading Iommi's book and was kind of disappointed... I felt like I read the 'CliffsNotes' to the Iommi book that I was hoping to read. Seemed to be a quick run through of his life and career with no real depth or detail. I'm probably disappointed because after having read "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath: The Battle For Black Sabbath (http://www.amazon.com/Sabbath-Bloody-Battle-Black/dp/0958268428)" the bar was set pretty high in terms of Sabbath history. Reading Butch Walker's 'Drinking With Strangers' now.

Mr Walker
02-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Still reading Butch's book, which is excellent. Interesting reading about the Sunset Strip metal scene in it's dying days as opposed to in it's heyday (see The Dirt).
It's cool to get Butch's take on things as someone who has worn many hats in the industry.
Butch also includes a great Roth quote "When life gives you lemons... stick 'em in your pants".

Anyway... I had Ace's book on deck to read next, but he just got bumped...
http://www.amazon.com/My-Boy-Philip-Lynott-ebook/dp/B006U5UB2Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329248167&sr=8-1-fkmr2

lesfunk
02-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Finished reading Iommi's book and was kind of disappointed... I felt like I read the 'CliffsNotes' to the Iommi book that I was hoping to read. Seemed to be a quick run through of his life and career with no real depth or detail. I'm probably disappointed because after having read "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath: The Battle For Black Sabbath (http://www.amazon.com/Sabbath-Bloody-Battle-Black/dp/0958268428)" the bar was set pretty high in terms of Sabbath history. Reading Butch Walker's 'Drinking With Strangers' now.

exactly, Iommi's book sucked. SBS:TBFBS was fooking ace!

Unchainme
02-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I read this wrong at first though it was

"Ace Diamond's" new book. :lmao:

FORD
02-14-2012, 04:48 PM

Don't you have to know how to READ books before you can write one?

ThrillsNSpills
02-14-2012, 04:49 PM

The movie he was in actually came out on video.