PDA

View Full Version : What In The Fuck Is Up With Duran Duran?

Kristy
11-09-2011, 09:00 PM
30 years...okay, it's been about 30 years and with most acts of that miserable 80's (of which I took no part in, may I remind you) they knew when to die and/or became another road side nostalgia act when MTV dropped their ass. Apparently, the sound of 1983 never left them and one or two of the original members has to be a grandfather by now. I don't know what to make of this other than Cindy Crawford still looks good for a woman in her early to mid 40's and that Naomi Campbell is still a limey cunt. Faux supermodel lesbianism, 80's riff guitar and bad retrograde cinematography cannot save their wavering careers. Sad, really.

Seshmeister
11-09-2011, 09:04 PM
It is never difficult to distinguish between Kristy and a ray of sunshine.

Kristy
11-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Did I mention that there is way, way too many vages in the video for me to sit all the way through it? So let me know how it ends somebody

FORD
11-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Well.... at least this actually sounds like a Duran Duran song, which is the first time you could say that since about 1985 or so. But I think the concept of having aging supermodels play their parts in a video might have worked better if they just shot it as a straight video, rather than stretch it out to a 9 1/2 minute faux-documentary clusterfuck.

Seshmeister
11-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Did I mention that there is way, way too many vages in the video for me to sit all the way through it? So let me know how it ends somebody

You are too quick to put things into little boxes.

I would happily kick Naomi Campbell in the cunt so hard I broke a dozen bones in my foot but Helena Christensen seems like a nice enough person.

Maybe you have a little bit of repressed sapphic stirrings towards some of these images...? :)

Kristy
11-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Nope, but when the vag count in a room starts to outweigh the oxygen content it's time to leave.

Sensible Shoes
11-09-2011, 09:35 PM
I have to ask - if you hate 80's music so much, what made you watch this in the first place?

Kristy
11-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Um, because the video was made in 2011?

hambon4lif
11-09-2011, 09:44 PM
when the vag count in a room starts to outweigh the oxygen content.They've got a name for that....

....it's called 'JACKPOT'

Kristy
11-09-2011, 09:45 PM
T'was only a matter of time.

Sensible Shoes
11-09-2011, 09:48 PM

One of my finer "duh" moments.

lesfunk
11-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I could not give a shit about Duran Duran but seriously what are they supposed to do? Stop doing their band just because they haven't been flavor of the month for 27 years?
I wouldn't have even known they were still alive if this thread wasn't posted.
You gotta have a lotta hate if you can spare so much on fucking Duran Duran. LOL

Kristy
11-09-2011, 10:05 PM
One of my finer "duh" moments.

Okay, I get it. Many of you are sensitive about your precious 80's decade. I'll never speak ill-will of it again.

Matt White
11-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Duran Duran has always been disposable dance music.............

they have their fans....which have to be getting long in the tooth....but more power to 'em

But this wasn't bad............

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VmIN9ulmy-E?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VmIN9ulmy-E?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Sensible Shoes
11-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Okay, I get it. Many of you are sensitive about your precious 80's decade. I'll never speak ill-will of it again.

No I meant I was really being stupid.

Nitro Express
11-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Duran Duran in the 80's had to be the closest thing to The Beetles I had ever witnessed. I saw them in Seattle in their heyday and my god did the girls go nuts. I have never seen anything like that since and probably never will. That being said they are good musicians. John Taylor is one of my favorite bass players. The man has the chops. They were also pioneers in music video.

As far as this new video goes, I just view it as pop art. Nothing more. I suspect Nick Roads had a lot of involvement in it. He was always into the weird artsy fartsy stuff.

twonabomber
11-10-2011, 01:14 AM
DD wanted the new disc to be the "sequel" to Rio. they pretty much nailed it. brings back memories of the old days.

wasn't really into them by the time Big Thing came out, i did like All She Wants Is from that one and Skin Trade (from Notorious) was a pretty good rip of a Prince groove.

Dan
11-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Duran Duran Rock,So Get A hairy Dog Up You.:D :hitch:

Nitro Express
11-10-2011, 02:16 AM
Duran Duran was a real band. Sure the chicks loved them. Why not go to a concert with lot's of wet dripping pussies in the audience? The band is only going to get a couple of those and you might score some after the show. I mean if you were looking for pussy it was at a Duran Duran show not a Rush show.:biggrin:

Blaze
11-10-2011, 04:11 AM
Duran Duran has always been disposable dance music.............

That's exactly what they were; Always pre-made and over-manufactured.

Coyote
11-10-2011, 04:15 AM
Nope, but when the vag count in a room starts to outweigh the oxygen content it's time to leave.

Only if you're a woman, or a very feminine man...

And I'll take new Duran Duran over any contemporary "pop".

FORD
11-10-2011, 04:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alIDCtNCmuU

BITEYOASS
11-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Usually pretty boy groups don't age well. Whereas Alice Cooper gets scarier with age.

Seshmeister
11-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Usually pretty boy groups don't age well.

I was just thinking that myself last night in the rehearsal studio... :)

ThrillsNSpills
11-10-2011, 01:45 PM

Only if they start quiffing simultaneously.

PETE'S BROTHER
11-10-2011, 01:54 PM
queef

Nitro Express
11-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Usually pretty boy groups don't age well. Whereas Alice Cooper gets scarier with age.

Yeah. His plaid golfing pants are really scary!:umm:

ThrillsNSpills
11-10-2011, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=Nitro Express;1571490] John Taylor is one of my favorite bass players. The man has the chops. They were also pioneers in music video.

QUOTE]

No doubt about it that dude can play the hell out of it. Then the chorus hits and it's cheesetown.

golitely
11-10-2011, 02:42 PM
I've been coming here for years, always meaning to register but just never getting around to it and what happens...it takes slurs against DD to finally motivate me.

1984, my dad gave me choice for my first concert with a groups of girlfriends: DD or VH. Of course being in full throes of Duranie love, I went with DD figuring I'd see VH when they swung back round on the next tour in a couple of years. Also figuring it'd be much more cooler going to see VH when I parents would hopefully let me date. Do I regret that decision? It's kind of like asking would I marry my husband all over again. Just better not to go there.

When I moved to Europe, I gave away my records collection bringing with me in vinyl only the Spanish EEAS (too lazy to get up and see how to spell it), CFTH and Andy Taylor's Thunder cuz I figured I'd never be able to replace them on CD.

Lastly, strange how these things circle around, the first concert I went to with a date was Alice Cooper.

ThrillsNSpills
11-10-2011, 03:12 PM
queef

FORD
11-10-2011, 03:17 PM
There was this group of chicks at my high school who we called the "Duranimals" because they were just total DD fanatics... had their lockers wallpapered with pics cut from the teen mags and all that.

Ironically enough, most if not all of those chicks ended up in actual bands playing real music. Don't think any of them hit the national scene, but some of the bands were fairly well known in the Pacific Northwest anyway. Two of these chicks were in the original lineup of Calamity Jane, who got some national exposure when they opened for some Nirvana shows.

So I guess you could say Duran Duran eventually inspired some great music, even despite themselves.

VAiN
11-10-2011, 03:18 PM

You have to have some serious anger issues to hate on the 80's. What a fun fucking decade...

Kristy
11-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Only if they start quiffing simultaneously.

Hi, Thrills.

binnie
11-11-2011, 02:07 PM
They must be doing something right.

I think of DD like I do Bon Jovi: I can't vstand them, but despite never owning any of thier music I know pretty much every word to about a dozen of their songs. That tell's me that they must be well written, even if I don't care for them.

Is it Leonard Cohen, Nick Drake or The Cult? No, but it ain't trying to be.....I mean does anyone think they're a great band? It's the difference between Def Leppard and Deep Purple

Nickdfresh
11-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Well, you didn't see it on MTV for fuck's sake. How'd you come across it?

Nickdfresh
11-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Duran Duran in the 80's had to be the closest thing to The Beetles I had ever witnessed....

You're out of your fucking mind. I agree John Taylor is an excellent bassist (and I'm not a hater, I like some of their work if I find them a bit boring overall), but Duran Duran were never anywhere near the Beatles...

Nickdfresh
11-11-2011, 05:16 PM
A decent song. But can they play it live?

binnie
11-11-2011, 06:21 PM
You're out of your fucking mind. I agree John Taylor is an excellent bassist (and I'm not a hater, I like some of their work if I find them a bit boring overall), but Duran Duran were never anywhere near the Beatles...

Not technically true. At Live Aid they met Paul Mccartney, so they were - for a very short period of time - 'near' a Beatle.

twonabomber
11-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Not technically true. At Live Aid they met Paul Mccartney, so they were - for a very short period of time - 'near' a Beatle.

not technically true.

McCartney closed the London portion of the show, and Duran Duran (and the Power Station) played in Philadelphia a couple hours later.

musically, maybe not. but the mayhem (and the screaming young girls) surrounding them? oh yeah. which might have been Nitro's point.

Unchainme
11-11-2011, 11:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgTyIqTJdYw

Always felt this group and this song in particular sounded like an updated version of Duran Duran.

Kristy
11-12-2011, 12:50 AM
"Always felt this group and this song in particular sounded like an updated version of Duran Duran."

I feel the same way when it comes to this dude. And, by the way, if you so much like this tune by just a smidgen' you seriously need to take yourself out of the gene pool.

Seshmeister
11-12-2011, 06:09 AM

I think I've posted before that I know a member of the Duran Duran road crew and he told me they all mime on stage these days apart from John Taylor who insists on playing along live to the tape.

Sensible Shoes
11-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I feel the same way when it comes to this dude. And, by the way, if you so much like this tune by just a smidgen' you seriously need to take yourself out of the gene pool.

SO much anger. LMAO

binnie
11-12-2011, 12:51 PM
I think I've posted before that I know a member of the Duran Duran road crew and he told me they all mime on stage these days apart from John Taylor who insists on playing along live to the tape.

What? Drums, guitars, keyboards and vocals are all mimed?

twonabomber
11-12-2011, 02:08 PM
i think Rhodes triggers sequences from his 'boards more than he plays actual keyboard parts.

Seshmeister
11-12-2011, 03:45 PM
What? Drums, guitars, keyboards and vocals are all mimed?

Yup they fade the vocals in and out, the rest is mimed(apart from the bass).

I think there are a couple of examples on YouTube of a technical malfunction...

binnie
11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Is that they CAN'T play, or choose not too?

I mean, why bother? Surely no-one in that band needs the money?

Seshmeister
11-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I know, you would think that it would be very boring for them.

Nitro Express
11-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Is that they CAN'T play, or choose not too?

I mean, why bother? Surely no-one in that band needs the money?

The Who went back on tour because Entwistle continued his lavish lifestyle while the others cut back theirs and was broke. Townsend said they went back on tour so John could have some money. You never know what the financial situation of anyone really is until you look at their accounts.

Nitro Express
11-12-2011, 08:31 PM
i think Rhodes triggers sequences from his 'boards more than he plays actual keyboard parts.

The best musician in that band is John Taylor. The bass drives Duran's songs. You can replace everyone in that band with the exception of John Taylor and Simon LeBon. You have a good singer and a unique bass sound. Everything else flavors it. I think a lot of the guys in that band were art students and you can tell. In the whole, Duran Duran is pop art.

Nitro Express
11-12-2011, 08:38 PM

I was referring to all the screaming girls going nuts over them. Just like Beatlemania. What was out of their minds were all those screaming, horny girls in the audience.

Seshmeister
11-12-2011, 08:55 PM
The best musician in that band is John Taylor. The bass drives Duran's songs. You can replace everyone in that band with the exception of John Taylor and Simon LeBon. You have a good singer and a unique bass sound. Everything else flavors it. I think a lot of the guys in that band were art students and you can tell. In the whole, Duran Duran is pop art.

If you ever had the misfortune to see the election videos he did in support of Obama though you will know how fucking dumb the man is.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ywWQTyH6hYc?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ywWQTyH6hYc?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
11-12-2011, 09:03 PM
If you ever had the misfortune to see the election videos he did in support of Obama though you will know how fucking dumb the man is.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ywWQTyH6hYc?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ywWQTyH6hYc?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

All I know is I always liked the guy's funk influenced bass lines. We are talking art here, not politics or anything else.

Just be glad you guys over the pond don't have to deal with the additional $4Trillion of debt Obama saddled us with. He's still spending. He will be up to $6 Trillion by the end of his first term.

Nitro Express
11-12-2011, 09:13 PM
"Always felt this group and this song in particular sounded like an updated version of Duran Duran."

Damn you Kristy! I had this shit thoroughly erased from my memory banks. I can remember it being played on the radio in the 70's. Some things are better left in the past.

Hardrock69
11-13-2011, 02:59 AM
The 80s was a great decade. Got Iron Maiden, Slayer, Exodus, Metallica, Randy Rhoades, Mercyful Fate, Megadeth, Queensryche, Judas Priest got the big boost to their career, Armored Saint, Accept, Deep Purple got back together........just to name a few good things.

So I will never slag the 80s. Some of the greatest music in the history of rock music came out in the 80s....

Never got into Durn Durn, or all those goddam fucking New Wave bands with their skinny ties and homo makeup.

Nitro Express
11-13-2011, 03:21 AM
The 80s was a great decade. Got Iron Maiden, Slayer, Exodus, Metallica, Randy Rhoades, Mercyful Fate, Megadeth, Queensryche, Judas Priest got the big boost to their career, Armored Saint, Accept, Deep Purple got back together........just to name a few good things.

So I will never slag the 80s. Some of the greatest music in the history of rock music came out in the 80s....

Never got into Durn Durn, or all those goddam fucking New Wave bands with their skinny ties and homo makeup.

There was a lot going on in the 80's. Reggae, New Wave, Punk, various flavors of rock, Jazz, and some stuff you couldn't even classify. A lot of interesting colors being painted with synthesisers. It was the breaking of the age of more powerful, smaller, and affordable computers with young people suddenly changing the world and becoming very rich young and in a short time. That fueled a lot but not all of it. Other than some small stuff there was no war in that decade. It was a good time.

To be honest I saw more greed in the 1990's and early 00's. The artificially low interests rates fueled a huge amount of easy credit gluttony that you never remotely saw in the 1980's. People didn't go as consumer credit or mortgage nuts in the 1980's. The 1990's was really the wreakless decade of decadence in my opinion.

Seshmeister
11-13-2011, 05:24 AM
You managed to even get a thread about Duran Duran onto financial services...

Nitro Express
11-13-2011, 06:36 AM
You managed to even get a thread about Duran Duran onto financial services...

You can drive a person to ecstasy or to suicide with an interest rate. Finance is the most powerful manmade invention on the planet. It controls everything including politics. Why the world is in such sad shape now is people allowed the source of their money to go from an openly accountable government treasury to private central banks.

The sun still comes up just like it did in the 1980's but why there is no party now is all the money went to bailout the banks and they aren't loaning to the average person so that is stalling the job market. Eviction, no job, higher prices all effect everything including the art and the party.

Seshmeister
11-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Remind me never to attempt phone sex with you.

Blaze
11-13-2011, 09:52 AM
:headlights:
Goes to scrub my brain of an unwanted mental picture
:biggrin:

FORD
11-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Damn you Kristy! I had this shit thoroughly erased from my memory banks. I can remember it being played on the radio in the 70's. Some things are better left in the past.

The Beach Boys actually recorded Seasons In The Sun before Terry Jacks did. Their version is even more depressing, including a verse about a wife who is a total fucking slut, but at least they were wise enough to not actually release it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjIra9pheU

Probably the only ones who ever truly did the song justice was Nirvana, because they all swapped instruments and played it very sloppy on purpose, which is what a lame song like that deserved.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4BF67pvsc

lesfunk
11-13-2011, 05:06 PM
What about "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo"?

lesfunk
11-13-2011, 05:10 PM
I saw Duran Duran in concert when I was maybe 18 years old. I couldn't hear the band over the screaming girls. I believe I was the oldest person there who wasn't a parent.

lesfunk
11-13-2011, 05:11 PM

I had a K-Tel record with that song. I was in like 1st grade

FORD
11-13-2011, 05:19 PM
I think I still have the original 45" somewhere. Don't remember buying it, so it probably belonged to my older sister. Got a couple of her old Neil Diamond singles too.

lesfunk
11-13-2011, 05:21 PM
I have a Beatles 45 of Please Please Me and From Me to You on Vee Jay. I wonder if its worth anything? It was my older sisters

Sensible Shoes
11-13-2011, 05:27 PM
I had a K-Tel record with that song. I was in like 1st grade

Jesus - I was in high school. I may beat Zah in the age contest.

Unchainme
11-13-2011, 05:35 PM
isn't that song kurt cobains favorite?

lesfunk
11-13-2011, 05:38 PM
isn't that song kurt cobains favorite?

and look what happened to him...

FORD
11-13-2011, 05:57 PM
I have a Beatles 45 of Please Please Me and From Me to You on Vee Jay. I wonder if its worth anything? It was my older sisters

I've seen old Beatles VeeJay 45's on E Bay going from $5 all the way to $500. Depends on condition, obviously, and old records with picture sleeves always get more money than a generic paper sleeve.

The Vee Jay albums are bringing in the big bucks though. Hell, there's a guy selling one on EBay for $5000 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTRODUCING-BEATLES-VEE-JAY-RECORDS-SR1062-NM-/190568023750?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2c5ebd46c6) and it's not even an original pressing.

Terry
11-13-2011, 05:58 PM
They must be doing something right.

I think of DD like I do Bon Jovi: I can't vstand them, but despite never owning any of thier music I know pretty much every word to about a dozen of their songs. That tell's me that they must be well written, even if I don't care for them.

Is it Leonard Cohen, Nick Drake or The Cult? No, but it ain't trying to be.....I mean does anyone think they're a great band? It's the difference between Def Leppard and Deep Purple

Think I'd rather listen to Duran Duran than Bon Jovi...

They came up with some good pop music many years ago. Most of it disposable, but whatever. One thing they have going for them is that at least they continued to make new music along the way on a fairly regular schedule. Can't say as any future course they follow means much to me, but then with each passing year there are fewer and fewer professional musicians out there that have me biting my nails wondering what they're gonna do next (if anything at all).

Honestly, the bulk of these aging rock stars could retire tomorrow (and actually STAY retired) and I'd be thinking something more along the lines of "well, thanks for the memories" than anything akin to "wow, I can't bear thinking these guys will never play together again".

lesfunk
11-15-2011, 11:35 PM
How rude...

Ed Roth
11-15-2011, 11:48 PM
You're right. I was rude. I forgot to add that I'd be wearing my "Wizard" outfit, you know, like the one Pagey wore. Purple velvet, yellow stars, flared legs, and real tight. I can't get the jacket closed any more, but damn I look good in it.

Kristy
11-16-2011, 11:21 AM

How repressive of you.

FORD
11-16-2011, 11:50 AM
The original skinny tie band didn't wear any homo makeup. Even the lead guitarist, who apparently was actually gay.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-GHxulq_E

...and this fucking show STILL isn't available on DVD even though half the band is dead now. :mad:

Nitro Express
11-16-2011, 12:09 PM
There's rock and roll you rock out to but then there is dance music. You know, the disposable stuff that plays in clubs while you troll the place for a piece of ass. The dance music production was best left up to skinny tie wearing fags. They were experts in it.

Unchainme
11-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Think I'd rather listen to Duran Duran than Bon Jovi...

They came up with some good pop music many years ago. Most of it disposable, but whatever. One thing they have going for them is that at least they continued to make new music along the way on a fairly regular schedule. Can't say as any future course they follow means much to me, but then with each passing year there are fewer and fewer professional musicians out there that have me biting my nails wondering what they're gonna do next (if anything at all).

Honestly, the bulk of these aging rock stars could retire tomorrow (and actually STAY retired) and I'd be thinking something more along the lines of "well, thanks for the memories" than anything akin to "wow, I can't bear thinking these guys will never play together again".

Bon Jovi really hasn't aged well when you think about it.

Despite the constant pushings of the tracks of "Slippery When Wet" they've become pretty much played out as an 80's band.

Seshmeister
11-17-2011, 01:34 PM
People often say Bon Jovi sold out but they didn't, the never had anything to sell out. Their first album is as lightweight as anything they have ever released.

I do find a couple of their later songs offensive and repellent.

I would hope that any self respecting girl would vomit on a guy that said 'Thank you for loving me'. Jesus sufferin' cunt is it possible to be more lame??!! You know damn well the odd little man-girl has been fucking truckloads of groupies for fun for years and that was his apology.

Yuck.

Unchainme
11-17-2011, 01:40 PM
People often say Bon Jovi sold out but they didn't, the never had anything to sell out. Their first album is as lightweight as anything they have ever released.

I do find a couple of their later songs offensive and repellent.

I would hope that any self respecting girl would vomit on a guy that said 'Thank you for loving me'. Jesus sufferin' cunt is it possible to be more lame??!! You know damn well the odd little man-girl has been fucking truckloads of groupies for fun for years and that was his apology.

Yuck.

Def Leppard is in the same boat, though I enjoy a few songs up to Hysteria, Christ they get obsessively pushed as this great band.

The quote that pissed me off was something to the effect of Elliot going "We're more Duran Duran than Iron Maiden". kinda damaged them for me then and there.

at leas with the other groups of the era like Ratt, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue you got a feel that although they had a pop sound to them on occasion they still rocked.

Matt White
11-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Bon Jovi INVENTED hair metal...it was the lavender leather pants...................and NO I'm not putting the video up!!!

80's FLUFF ats its worst.............

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/TZdWvS5Bs9s/0.jpg

Seshmeister
11-17-2011, 01:50 PM
To be fair it's a golden rule that the more fashionable you are at the time, the worse it looks later.

http://www.casinoman.net/images/blog/slade.jpg

Seshmeister
11-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Plus it's important to remember that there were a lot more girls around hard rock during the Bon Jovi era than before or since.

Bon Jovi were like a gateway band to Guns N Roses and then onwards and upwards for many girls.

Unchainme
11-17-2011, 01:55 PM
As much as I detest Bon Jovi I'd much rather have the Hair Genre come back than the fucking idiots like Disturbed, Nickelback and the other corporate stooges that whine on fm airwaves and are classified as "Rock".

Kristy
11-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Green Day. You forgot about Green Day. Or are they corporate punk?

Matt White
11-18-2011, 08:55 PM
As much as I detest Bon Jovi I'd much rather have the Hair Genre come back than the fucking idiots like Disturbed, Nickelback and the other corporate stooges that whine on fm airwaves and are classified as "Rock".

Actually...with the benefit of hindsight...the VAST majority of bands always SUCK DOG BALLS....

There are the rare acception...like THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN...that stand head-and-shoulders above their peers..........

And great bands are always out there....it just takes some digging to find them....with all the Corporate hacks that get the big push sucking up all the dollars for promotion.............

FORD
11-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Green Day started out as a legitimate punk band. They weren't a total fabrication like Blink 182 or that sort of shit. Even now, I wouldn't call them "corporate" rock, or even corporate punk, though obviously punk bands don't write rock operas, so they ain't exactly the band they used to be.

"American Idiot" might have made Warner Brothers Records a lot of money, but that doesn't mean they liked the lyrics. Great record, yes. Punk record? Nah..... I still say Kerplunk was their best album.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5pIl0tSzkg

Unchainme
11-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Actually...with the benefit of hindsight...the VAST majority of bands always SUCK DOG BALLS....

There are the rare acception...like THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN...that stand head-and-shoulders above their peers..........

And great bands are always out there....it just takes some digging to find them....with all the Corporate hacks that get the big push sucking up all the dollars for promotion.............

I've been digging. Black Keys is the shit.

just wanted to have an excuse to slam disturbed christ I hate that band.

Matt White
11-18-2011, 09:54 PM

just wanted to have an excuse to slam disturbed christ I hate that band.

Same here...never got Disturbed...I'd listen to CREED over 'em

Godsmack...at least they had a cool name & Logo

Check out MASTODON if you like the heavey stuff...they can play and sound like nobody else...METALLICA told them they're the next big thing....stupid talented

Or...I just checked out a band called FLEET FOXES...I've never heard anything else like them before....kind of a Pyschedelic Crosby Stills & Nash vibe.....crazy in the best possible way

VAiN
11-19-2011, 12:59 AM

Agreed! Love those guys!

VAiN
11-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Green Day started out as a legitimate punk band. They weren't a total fabrication like Blink 182 or that sort of shit.

This is pretty much how I feel... they were the first to bring that 'sound' to the masses.. but they actually worked their way up. so it's cool. There was MUCH worse shortly after that sound caught on.

ashstralia
11-19-2011, 02:20 AM
the fleet foxes have been popular here for a while. laconic mellow harmony rich verby sounds.

Seshmeister
11-19-2011, 01:26 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/317558_310326168997340_100000598774540_1208999_147 5668864_n.jpg

Shaun Ponsonby
11-19-2011, 01:39 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/317558_310326168997340_100000598774540_1208999_147 5668864_n.jpg

I found that much funnier than I probably should have.

Nickdfresh
11-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Me too... :)

Unchainme
11-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Same here...never got Disturbed...I'd listen to CREED over 'em

Godsmack...at least they had a cool name & Logo

Check out MASTODON if you like the heavey stuff...they can play and sound like nobody else...METALLICA told them they're the next big thing....stupid talented

Or...I just checked out a band called FLEET FOXES...I've never heard anything else like them before....kind of a Pyschedelic Crosby Stills & Nash vibe.....crazy in the best possible way

Just discovered Mastodon about 2 months ago. They do in fact rule

There's at least some redeeming qualities to Godsmack as the AIC sound they have kinda makes them an okay listen. With all due respect to William Duvall, who's done a great job filling in for Layne, always felt Sully should have been AIC's new lead singer.

binnie
11-19-2011, 07:58 PM

This is the truth. We only remember the good bands, and that biases our perception of a decade/period as somehow golden.

FORD
11-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Yep. Used to be that every decade had its good music and its bad. Of course I'd have to look really hard to find the good music from 2000-2010 (or after that) but what little there was came from bands that were around before then.

Look at the albums that are "hot" right now.... anniversary reissues of "Nevermind", "Some Girls" and "Achtung Baby" and the latest remastering of the entire Pink Floyd catalog. At least two of the first three contain "new" material - if something mostly recorded in 1977 or 1990, with 2011 vocals can be called "new".

Hell, that Duran Duran track at the beginning of this thread sounds so authentic, I'm surprised nobody's asked this before now, but would anybody really be surprised if it actually WAS an outtake from Rio, with new vocals added? Why shouldn't Simon LeBonehead do the same thing Mick and Bono are doing?

Kristy
11-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Hell, that Duran Duran track at the beginning of this thread sounds so authentic, I'm surprised nobody's asked this before now, but would anybody really be surprised if it actually WAS an outtake from Rio, with new vocals added? Why shouldn't Simon LeBonehead do the same thing Mick and Bono are doing?

More from the 'Notorious' sessions. Duran could never find a groove with their audience when their girly fan base started to grow up.

Nickdfresh
11-20-2011, 12:48 AM
More from the 'Notorious' sessions. Duran could never find a groove with their audience when their girly fan base started to grow up.

They did have a bit of a post-80's resurgence with "Ordinary World," which is hardly pandering to the girly crowd...

twonabomber
11-20-2011, 01:28 AM

Notorious was similar to LeBon and Rhodes' Arcadia project. kind of a bit more "funk" at times due to the horn section, and Nile Rodgers' production and playing guitar on some of it.

Terry
11-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Def Leppard is in the same boat, though I enjoy a few songs up to Hysteria, Christ they get obsessively pushed as this great band.

The quote that pissed me off was something to the effect of Elliot going "We're more Duran Duran than Iron Maiden". kinda damaged them for me then and there.

at leas with the other groups of the era like Ratt, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue you got a feel that although they had a pop sound to them on occasion they still rocked.

Motley Crues first two albums I liked. Early Ratt stuff was good. Quiet Riot were okay. Def Leppard's High N' Dry was really the only thing they ever did that had some balls to it.

Bon Jovi were really disposable from the get-go. I lump them in with Poison in that both bands come off in a manner where the music was (at best) secondary to looking and acting the part of 'rock stars', basically faking it until you make it. That's why when Bon Jovi went country, or Bret Michaels began starring in reality shows, it was never a case of losing any credibility as there was never any to begin with. Everything about those bands, to me, smacked of calculation rather than an ounce of honest passion. Like, Roth was as shrewd as anybody in terms of how the music biz worked (the power of images, how to sell a band and an image to the media, etc.), but Van Halen on record were the real deal. Bon Jovi and Poison were just third rate hambone imposters. The irritating aspect of those bands is that they confuse record sales with credibility, failing to realize that plenty of shit without substance has sold bucketloads, and they somehow equate themselves as belonging in the pantheon of legendary rock bands as a result...sad.

Kristy
11-20-2011, 07:28 PM
They did have a bit of a post-80's resurgence with "Ordinary World," which is hardly pandering to the girly crowd...

Considering 'Ordinary World' wasn't from the Notorious album (1986) and the 'Wedding Album' didn't appear 7 years later much of their girly fan base had grown up by then. Ordinary World was a fluke but it did prove that LeBon & Co. could still pen a pop hit too bad they could never quite follow it up with tunes like Electric Barbarella and You Want More which were just embarrassing.

Kristy
11-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Oh, and Green Day are shit. Don't try to justify them.

Kristy
11-20-2011, 08:16 PM
American Science was probably their best tune. That I can agree with.

FORD
11-20-2011, 08:43 PM
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18900000/Pedo-Bear-pedo-bear-18908322-720-480.jpg

Matt White
11-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Duran Duran were/are disposable pop.....

which, as Kristy righty called out, when their fans outgrew them they were lost......

They've had the occasional sign of life from time to time....and are now an oldies act.......

Happens all the time....remember 'Titney Spears? Her fans don't.....they grew up and moved on...same with Xtina and all those terrible boy-bands that were the rage for 5 minutes......like THE MAN SAID..."Here today....gone Later today!"

Kristy
11-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Happens all the time....remember 'Titney Spears? Her fans don't.....they grew up and moved on...same with Xtina and all those terrible boy-bands that were the rage for 5 minutes......like THE MAN SAID..."Here today....gone Later today!"

Let me see...who does that remind me of...:umm: Oh yeah:

Matt White
11-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Exactly....but like Nick pointed out "Ordinary World" hit #3 in 1993....their last gasp at relevance........

which is more than 90% of the acts that have a hit can say...the vast majority never get a 2nd chance

Kristy
11-20-2011, 11:29 PM
It was probably their biggest pop hit in the US. I'm too lazy to Google but I'm sure it must have outdid, 'Reflex', 'Rio', and 'Save A Prayer.' 'Union Of The Snake' was a strange tune by them. I never could decipher most of what in the hell they were singing but believe Union was about tantric sex.

Nickdfresh
11-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Considering 'Ordinary World' wasn't from the Notorious album (1986) and the 'Wedding Album' didn't appear 7 years later much of their girly fan base had grown up by then. Ordinary World was a fluke but it did prove that LeBon & Co. could still pen a pop hit too bad they could never quite follow it up with tunes like Electric Barbarella and You Want More which were just embarrassing.

I must say your intricate knowledge of Duran Duran is quite impressive... :)

Nickdfresh
11-21-2011, 02:26 AM
Green Day. You forgot about Green Day. Or are they corporate punk?

Oh, and Green Day are shit. Don't try to justify them.

Not. But which punk ain't corporate? The Sex Pistols? Ramones? Yeah, right.

FORD
11-21-2011, 03:03 AM

Jello comes to mind. Not so much his former bandmates, in the sense that they made a lame attempt to cash in on the name with former child star from the 60's Brandon Cruz as a scab singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdmFXNtOAck

Seshmeister
11-21-2011, 07:02 AM

The Sex Pistols were just as much a boy band as the Backstreet Boys, a fabrication.

They were getting crowds of 50 at gigs in bars until they said 'fuck' on TV.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-21-2011, 10:08 AM
The Sex Pistols were just as much a boy band as the Backstreet Boys,

I've been saying that EXACT thing for years and have found virtually NOBODY who agrees with me.

And it wouldn't have mattered so much (I don't like their music, so what?) if they didn't tout themselves as "the real deal" so much. As much as I detest Gene Simmons, at least he's honest about things like that.