PDA

View Full Version : Brian May To Work With Dappy

Shaun Ponsonby
11-18-2011, 02:45 PM
http://www.nme.com/news/queen/60469

N-Dubz member Dappy has revealed that he has collaborated on a new track with Queen guitarist Brian May.

The singer claims that he is heading out to Los Angeles to work with May on his new single, and the pair are set to start shooting the song's video together.

The Mirror reports that May – who recently confessed that he considered committing suicide after Freddie Mercury passed away in 1991 – was won over by Dappy's solo track 'No Regrets', which earned him a Number One single in September.

The N-Dubz man revealed: "He said I deserve an award – I couldn't believe it! So I had to hit him up to work with me. I'm flying to LA in the morning to work on the video with him".

Dappy recently confirmed that N-Dubz would split up in the next two years. He said the trio have decided to release a greatest hits compilation and then disband so they can focus on their solo careers.

In October, Brian May confirmed that he and Queen drummer Roger Taylor were going through their band's old material and demos to compile a selection of unreleased tracks for a forthcoming LP.

Earlier this month, meanwhile, he announced that next year the band will release a series of duets that Freddie Mercury recorded with Michael Jackson.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have defended a lot of what Brian has done post-Queen as I was able to find rationalisation for much of it, but this really takes the biscuit. He appears to have become an irritant so gradually that I didn't even notice it happening.

Dappy. Fucking Dappy. Fucking spouse-abusing Dappy. Fucking spitter at strange women in night clubs Dappy. Fucking death-threat texter Dappy. Fucking national JOKE Dappy. And he is a national joke. The only people who like him are children and chavs whose IQ’s don’t reach double figures.

Dappy apparently says May was so impressed by his debut single, which confusingly reached number 1 over the summer. It was called No Regrets, which I’m guessing means he doesn’t regret any of the things I mentioned above. And what an impressive song it is. In fact, let’s look at some of the lyrics;

“This is my last chance, I’m on my final straw
I came so close to b-b breaking like a spinal cord
I came from nothing, some kid in Camden
Now I’m flier than the birds. Richard Branson
I'm a Prince and yes I will get the crown
Kate stays in my dungeon when her sister's round
So please forgive me, if i make mistakes,
But I’ll blow the bloody doors off. Michael Caine”

I’m not sure I quite understand if he’s saying “I’ll blow the bloody doors of Michael Caine”, insinuating, quite wrongly, that Michael Caine has doors and he needs urgent medical attention to have them removed, or if he’s simply citing where he got the quote. Either way, it’s not quite the kind of lyrical genius of Bob Dylan (“You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows”), Tom Waits (“I’ll tell you all my secrets, but I’ll lie about my past”), Leonard Cohen (“Remember when I moved in you, the holy dove was moving too. and every breath we drew was Hallelujah”) or Yo Gabba Gabba (“Sharing is good, sharing is good, sharing is good”).

And it’s taken this revelation that May is to work with one of the most vile people in the music industry today for me to realise that he has gone too far. Dappy stands for everything that he and Queen didn’t/still don’t. So, my message to Brian May is simple; STOP. Just fucking stop. Take a leaf out of John Deacon’s book and retire respectfully. Stop whoring yourself out and lowering Queen to the lowest common denominator. You’ve done too much. Stop. Please stop. Just fucking stop. You’ve managed to turn yourself from one of my childhood heroes to someone who infuriates me the more I read about your upcoming projects. I’m all for gaining new fans, but everyone in the UK knows Queen’s entire back catalogue. There’s nothing more you can do. So, you might as well stop alienating your longtime fans. STOP IT.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Some shit Dappy songs, so you some of you who don't already know will know what we're dealing with here;

lesfunk
11-18-2011, 03:12 PM
nigga please

FORD
11-18-2011, 03:27 PM
There are exactly two white rap groups worth listening to on this planet...

1) The Beastie Boys

2) Consolidated

And as great as they are (or were, in the case of Consolidated, since they are long gone) I wouldn't want them working with What's Left Of Queen either. Unless it was in the typical rap fashion of rhyming over one of their old records.

binnie
11-18-2011, 07:29 PM
It seems that Brian May is just happy to get out of the house these days................

Kristy
11-18-2011, 07:41 PM
So...I take it the Paul Rodgers thing isn't working out? These fucking aging rock stars, man.

FORD
11-18-2011, 07:52 PM
So...I take it the Paul Rodgers thing isn't working out? These fucking aging rock stars, man.

That was over a couple years ago. They recorded a studio album of new material, it tanked, and Rodgers said "fuck this" and went on tour with Bad Company.

Kristy
11-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Smart man that Paul Rodgers.

Nitro Express
11-19-2011, 01:33 AM
I can see being sad your lead singer died but commit suicide? That's some serious fucked up depression. I mean you can't replace Freddy Mercury and Queen died with Freddy. Maybe all of that was a huge blow to Brian. I mean such a huge loss in so many ways.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-19-2011, 12:25 PM
That was over a couple years ago. They recorded a studio album of new material, it tanked, and Rodgers said "fuck this" and went on tour with Bad Company.

I actually thought the album was OK. It didn't sound like a proper Queen album, but then it wasn't supposed to. Most of the criticism seemed to be aimed at the fact that Freddie Mercury wasn't on it and the lyrics, which admittedly were fucking horrible.

I'm not sure "tanked" is the right word to describe it. The last time Paul Rodgers had a Top 5 album in the UK before it was Bad Co's "Run With The Pack" in 1976.

binnie
11-19-2011, 07:56 PM
That being said, no one's clamouring for a follow up are they?

Shaun Ponsonby
11-20-2011, 11:19 AM
That being said, no one's clamouring for a follow up are they?

You can say that about the vast majority of ageing rock stars. Find me anyone who gives a shit about the new new (Anderson-less) Yes album and I'll prove them to be the liars they are. Most bands, especially of this kind of stature, get to a certain age and the only people who want to hear new music from them are the die-hards. Everyone else just wants to go see them play the hits. How many people could care less if the Stones make another album? All the excitement talk in the Stones camp is "they're relseasing this long lost concert film from the 70s" and "apparently, they're doing a 50th anniversary tour". I've yet to see someone say "how amazing would it be if they made a new album".

To be fair to May, Taylor & Rodgers...it always seemed like an experiment more than anything. Parts of it worked, parts of it didn't. They were victims of their own legacys, and people were always going to say "it's not as good as...".

Coyote
11-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Poor Brian May. Yet another victim of this silly business...