PDA

View Full Version : AA Ruining Lives

Nitro Express
11-25-2011, 09:51 PM
AA and it's induced guilt is probably what destroyed Van Halen.

VAiN
11-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Classic! This sounds like a conversation that I have almost daily with a friend who insists I have a drinking problem.. I like to have a good time, goddamnit!

SunisinuS
11-26-2011, 01:10 AM
I once was sober....it really hurt.

I found that when I started to eat at any party that I went to...sure enough....the next day I would want to shit out the VERY FOOD I ate at the party.

I hope I can find a chick that helps with my shitty life.

Or at least a Smellier power.

Nitro Express
11-26-2011, 01:18 AM
You fly your plane drunk?

SunisinuS
11-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Not to Parties!
:lala:

Blaze
11-26-2011, 01:25 AM
American Rehab is woefully lacking and that includes the AA part.

Nitro Express
11-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Not to Parties!
:lala:

Well if the street is straight and there are no tall trees around it, hell you can land at the party.

Nitro Express
11-26-2011, 01:44 AM

Mexican rehab is less crazy.

ashstralia
11-26-2011, 01:56 AM
was it dean martin who said something about non drinkers to the effect of that when they wake up, that's the best they're going to feel all day? cheers. :beers:

Hardrock69
11-26-2011, 05:48 AM
Heh...sorta like PETA......supposed mission is to "help the poor animals", but they kill 90% of the fucking animals they are supposedly helping.

In other words, their mission is to help them DIE.

Goddamnable fucking worthless shitbag cocksucking asshole fuck motherfuckers!!!! :mad:

Seshmeister
11-26-2011, 06:08 AM
The AA is bullshit.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/uU2YliYttnQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/uU2YliYttnQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
11-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Heh...sorta like PETA......supposed mission is to "help the poor animals", but they kill 90% of the fucking animals they are supposedly helping.

In other words, their mission is to help them DIE.

Goddamnable fucking worthless shitbag cocksucking asshole fuck motherfuckers!!!! :mad:

Of course they let them die. It's not nice to eat a live animal. The don't call it People Eating Tasty Animals for nothing. Got to kill it before you can grill it.

ThrillsNSpills
11-26-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how Penn and Teller do that trick where they pull a bean out of their eye.

Any program where you get a bunch of people in a room and they say they are powerless over something. That's a red flag that the next agenda is ............cultish...
Labeling yourself something and having a bunch of negative people guilt you into being a mess who then subsequently loves the company of other people who are disempowered doesn't seem to have anything to do with evolution. Just my opinion.
but if it works for somebody then good for them

Because people have power. Whether they've tapped into it or not is their issue.

I believe Chong said it best when he said:

I don't need any............marijuana man....................cos I'm hooked on downers..........man.

Seshmeister
11-26-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't understand the idea of it at all any way. I would fucking hate to go along somewhere twice a week and discuss how we have all stopped smoking and how we try to cope without it and define ourselves as forever nicotine addicts.

In fact that's about the only thing that could make me start again.

VHscraps
11-26-2011, 12:55 PM
was it dean martin who said something about non drinkers to the effect of that when they wake up, that's the best they're going to feel all day? cheers. :beers:

He had some good lines about drinking. When Frank Sinatra got married to Mia Farrow he said - 'I've got a case of Scotch that's older than Frank's new wife'. I think he also said 'you're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on'.

The whole twelve-step thing is just replacing one kind of dependency with another. Drink was a crucial component of Ed's creativity. That's why R'n'R, in terms of its limited creative potential (i.e., most bands do their best work in the early part of their careers) is a young man's game. If you are at the more cerebral / less party end of rock - a band like Rush, for instance - it probably doesn't matter what age you are. But being young, having a good time, and not giving a damn about the consequences was what Classic VH was about.

But, you know, if some medical expert, or sodding government minister comes out and says we ought to drink / smoke / do whatever gets us high LESS, my immediate response is to want to go and do it.

Of course, you got to keep it in balance - it's not fun getting out of your head once you get into your middle years unless you can look forward to it, so having a break in between seems like a good idea to ensure enjoyment is had when the time for fun arrives.

I don't smoke anymore, but I noted on the news last week that the medical profession here in the UK now want to ban smoking in private vehicles - in case it damages the health of children etc. But it would be a universal blanket ban - even if you don't have children in your car. FFS. How the hell they could ever enforce that, I do not know. Have they done that anywhere else?

I have to say that I look on the whole ideology of living as long as you possibly can with a rather jaundiced eye. So what does it all really mean? You don't drink, smoke or do any drugs to excess and you can live until you are 90 years old, or maybe 100, and spend the last years / decades of your life in one of those death farms they call 'old peoples care homes'. Squandering your children's inheritance to pay to be kept alive, all the while lining the pockets of the people who run these places.

As long as I was no use to anyone, no longer productive, or able to go to the bathroom on my own, I wouldn't mind being put out of my misery ...

Unchainme
11-26-2011, 01:24 PM
"I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk! Alcoholics have to go to those damned meetings"- Redd Fox.

Anyone remember when Katydid ran an AA thread in the dump and how she was chased out of it?

clarathecarrot
11-26-2011, 07:23 PM
What is even more amazing is people who watch a video about some guy saying some shit about something, and then everyone who watches the video starts talking like a bunch of hipmotized zombies..it's like they believe anything that is put in front of them and latch on like it's the nipple of truth.

Nothing has warped more minds and crated more delusional people than media snake oil.

AA has helped millions of people save thier own lives and is the only way to sobriety.

You will never get the idea behind AA or how to control yourself and your drinking and drug abuse until you stand next to the old withered guy who runs the meeting, as he opens the meeting up with his speech and adds how he has 37 years without and drink, yet he has the breath of the dumpster behind the Old Chicken booze and rotgut factory.

Seshmeister
11-26-2011, 08:02 PM
I have to say that I look on the whole ideology of living as long as you possibly can with a rather jaundiced eye. So what does it all really mean? You don't drink, smoke or do any drugs to excess and you can live until you are 90 years old, or maybe 100, and spend the last years / decades of your life in one of those death farms they call 'old peoples care homes'. Squandering your children's inheritance to pay to be kept alive, all the while lining the pockets of the people who run these places.

Exactly. The way some people in public health talk they seem to think that people won't still die if they do everything 'right'. About 50% of people over 85 have dementia. The one irritation about having free healthcare is the people that seem to think that then means the government should be allowed to dictate whether people drink or smoke because 'we all pay for it'.

It's a crock of shit argument even ignoring the freedom of the individual because if a third of smokers die early that's a fucking huge saving in any case in terms of the really expensive shit like nursing homes and pensions.

It's also worth pointing out that moderate drinkers statistically live longer than non drinkers.

Admittedly I'm not a moderate drinker. :)

Nitro Express
11-26-2011, 08:14 PM
All you really have to do is trade addictions. Alice Cooper traded booze for golf. Some trade booze for chocolate and become fat asses. The ones who never drank seem to be sex addicts.

FORD
11-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Then you have Glenn BecKKK who traded drugs for Mormonism. And probably sounded slightly saner when he was high.

Kristy
11-26-2011, 08:39 PM

Oh, I don't know. Hasn't stopped asshats like Dr. Drew from going to the bank on others' suffering

Nitro Express
11-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Then you have Glenn BecKKK who traded drugs for Mormonism. And probably sounded slightly saner when he was high.

This is the truth about Mormonism. The retention rate of the people who join it is really low. So the cash cow for the church is to have the people who are already members to breed new members. That is why marriage to another member and to have lots of children is encourage. The church puts a ton of effort in retaining it's members. The missionary program isn't to find new members, it's to take young men and put them under even more church control at the time when they are most likely to leave the church. It's two years of hardcore indoctrination and no dating. When they come back they are horny as shit and not well in the head and marry the first molly mormon girl that shows them any attention. Then the church spends a fortune on YouTube ads trying to convince people they are not a weird assed cult.

Many of the people that do join do have substance abuse issues. They desperately want new friends and want the pressure of not having what they are addicted to. Basically the new people who join the Mormon church have a lot of issues. It's full of Glenn Beck types who are nuttier than a shit house rat.

Basically Glenn is incapable of taking care of himself. He wants a micromanaging organization to watch over him. The church is more than happy to do so; especially, when you are making Glenn Beck type of money. You are right, Glenn traded a substance addiction for Mormon addiction.

My parents weren't active in the church at all until my dad's best friend became a bishop. A bishop calls two good friends to assist him as councilers and he asked my dad. My dad was drinking, going to Vegas all the time but he cleaned up and did it. He liked the attention and my mom liked it that it made my dad quit drinking. So unfortunately they stayed in the cult and poor little me had to deal with it. What's funny is my dad still drank on hunting and fishing trips. He always had booze at the office. He just stopped drinking at home. I don't know, church's seem to provide some sort of mommy/daddy role people seem to need. I never got it. I never understood it. I just saw it all as exploitation and a pain in the ass.

What's wierd is my dad never called me out on my teenage drinking. I came home one night just plastered. He stayed up seeing I made it home ok. I thought I was going to catch shit but he just said you better go to bed. The next morning nothing was said further. I think he though my hangover was punishment enough.

DONNIEP
11-26-2011, 09:51 PM
I got popped in my 20s for a DWI and was forced to go to 6 AA meetings as part of my "rehabilitation." Two things every AA meeting has - unlimited coffee and ashtrays. Never mind that caffeine jacks up your heart rate thru the roof, and nicotine does the same. Smoke and drink all you want to! And the one thing I took from those meetings was that each and every person there was dying to tell their story - and get this, when they were through, everyone applauded them for it! Never mind that the person telling his/her story may have pissed away a job, a family, it didn't matter. As long as they could say they overcame it, that's all that mattered. "Hey, you lost your kids, your house, your car, your job, what the hell? You're one of us now and that's all that matters!" But not one time, not ONE fucking time did they tell those people how to get their family back, get their jobs back. All they wanted was for those people to come back so that they could pat someone else on the back for all the bullshit they put other people through.

I'm not saying that AA doesn't help some people. I'm sure it does. But if I bought into it I'd have a hard time with the whole "Make a list of all the people you have harmed and make amends to them"...Hell, that would take the rest of my life! And it would require me to find all my ex-girlfriends, and trust me, I've tried finding a lot of them when I was drunk and looking for a bootie call!

ashstralia
11-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Admittedly I'm not a moderate drinker. :)

you're a scot; i'm an aussie, it's in our dna. :)

Alice Cooper traded booze for golf.

why not both? there's nothing better than an icy cold one after a fun day on the links!

SunisinuS
11-26-2011, 10:33 PM
you're a scot; i'm an aussie, it's in our dna. :)

why not both? there's nothing better than an icy cold one after a fun day on the links!

Nah it is a beer a hole.

:welcome:

:bottle:

ashstralia
11-26-2011, 10:36 PM
i can only concentrate on one thing at a time...:)

Nitro Express
11-27-2011, 12:17 AM
Oh, I don't know. Hasn't stopped asshats like Dr. Drew from going to the bank on others' suffering

Dr. Drew went to Pasadena High School with Eddie and Alex.

twonabomber
11-27-2011, 02:58 AM

another good one: "i don't drink any more...i freeze it, and eat it like a popsicle"

ashstralia
11-27-2011, 03:24 AM
that's right up there with 'i used to jog, but the ice kept falling out of the glass'.

Blaze
11-27-2011, 08:42 AM

You do realize that "going to the bank" does not equate "with or with enough of something that is needed"

VAiN
11-27-2011, 10:10 AM
I've always liked this one:

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."

Nickdfresh
11-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Even the term "alcoholic" is in severe doubt now and has been replaced internationally with the more appropriate "alcohol dependence." This was not done out of political correctness but because it's now acknowledged that dependence on alcohol has many different levels and one can essentially reduce his or her dependence simply by gradually cutting back without having to resort to the extremes of mutual support cult meetings, nor abstaining forever. The cliche alcoholic that gets the shakes and will die if he goes cold turkey is actually pretty rare.

Basically, dependence starts when one is excessively drinking over a prolonged period and the body begins to replace a hormone produced to calm the body--and reduce heart rate--with the depressant alcohol. That's why people some times have a hard time sleeping after they stop drinking after a period of time.

Kristy
11-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Even the term "alcoholic" is in severe doubt now and has been replaced internationally with the more appropriate "alcohol dependence." This was not done out of political correctness but because it's now acknowledged that dependence on alcohol has many different levels and one can essentially reduce his or her dependence simply by gradually cutting back without having to resort to the extremes of mutual support cult meetings, nor abstaining forever. The cliche alcoholic that gets the shakes and will die if he goes cold turkey is actually pretty rare.

There is a term for hardcore alcoholism sorry, dependence, where the alcohol will literally bind with the nervous system to the point you will die without it. Think of Shane McGowen of the Pogues. The man is fucked beyond belief.

Kristy
11-27-2011, 12:20 PM
You do realize that "going to the bank" does not equate "with or with enough of something that is needed"

You know, I'm seriously thinking about joining the What Club on this site. As in not one of us knows what in the fuck you are talking about.

Nickdfresh
11-27-2011, 07:50 PM
There is a term for hardcore alcoholism sorry, dependence, where the alcohol will literally bind with the nervous system to the point you will die without it. Think of Shane McGowen of the Pogues. The man is fucked beyond belief.

There is a term, it's called the "extreme." Yes, people addicted to alcohol can die without treatment after not drinking. I think I mentioned that...

Kristy
11-27-2011, 10:40 PM
What I mean is there is a medical name for it, dufus. Something more informative than "extreme."

Nitro Express
11-27-2011, 10:58 PM
You have a drinking problem when the liquor cabinet is empty and there is no beer or wine in the fridge.

ashstralia
11-28-2011, 03:41 AM
What I mean is there is a medical name for it, dufus. Something more informative than "extreme."

hey babe, i'm a little tipsy. how musshh for an upskirt pic in blakc sanit?

Hardrock69
11-28-2011, 05:18 AM
:lol:

clarathecarrot
11-28-2011, 11:00 AM
hey babe, i'm a little tipsy. how musshh for an upskirt pic in blakc sanit?
:doh:
you forgot to adress the lady in order to give thanks where thanks is due...here lemmie finish on that for you...."hey babe, I am a little tipsy, but if I may ask, how about a upskirt pic in what maybe,.. I am guessing, black sting panties, I just know you are all sugared up in there with, you de'lightful little slut";)

My line won't work either,... but what noone knows is I am actually hoping for a kick in the nuts from her with those boots on.

Nickdfresh
11-28-2011, 06:23 PM

Which is?

And I think I mentioned that yes, some people can die from not drinking. I have a distant friend that might be one of them, who had the liver of a 75 year old man in his 46 year old body and drinks nearly 30 beers a day...

Nickdfresh
11-28-2011, 06:26 PM
You have a drinking problem when the liquor cabinet is empty and there is no beer or wine in the fridge.

LoungeMachine
11-28-2011, 06:47 PM
I've never had a clear answer on what defines an "alcoholic" by today's standards...

I'm sure geography plays a big role. I'd probably be considered DRY by Sesh's standards.....

Weeknights after work?.....usually a couple microbrews before dinner, followed by a nightcap or 2.

Weekends?.....at home, maybe go through a 12 pack of good beer, or a bottle of crown over the weekend.

Gigs?.....at least 3-4 beers or shots before the show, and probably the same afterwards....

The State of Washington FINALLY changed their draconian law that made it against the law for musicians to drink on stage, so that number is about to go up :)

:gulp:

I'd say I have at least 2 drinks at least 28 days out of the month. Alkie?

Guitar Shark
11-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Man, I hope not. Imagine how embarrassing it would be to say, "Hi, my name is LoungeMachine" in front of a group

FORD
11-28-2011, 07:01 PM
I've had 12-steppers tell me before that drinking ONE beer makes you an alcoholic. It's my guess that what they meant by that was that THEY couldn't drink one beer (or a glass of anything else containing alcohol) without needing more. Hell, I had some ridiculously good coffee flavored stout on Thanksgiving, and would have had more, only because it was so damn good, but unfortunately there was only one big bottle available. The lack of any more of it didn't cause me to raid my dad's wine stash.

(No, there's no review of this brew in the Beercyclopedia, because it was actually a homebrew made by some friend of my brother, and I don't have the relevant info to post. I just hope my brother brings some more of it along on Christmas :gulp: )

FORD
11-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Man, I hope not. Imagine how embarrassing it would be to say, "Hi, my name is LoungeMachine" in front of a group

That's why he would tell them he was Kip Winger. :biggrin:

Sensible Shoes
11-28-2011, 07:28 PM
I've had 12-steppers tell me before that drinking ONE beer makes you an alcoholic.

Around 1980 or so, I was in some counseling over a really fucked up adoption issue (see the thread about things you found out later in life) and the counselor's immediate response was that I was an alcoholic because I drank ANYTHING, and that I was sexually abused by both my parents. The psychiatric industry in this country is fucked.

Nitro Express
11-28-2011, 07:33 PM
The only person I ever knew that did AA joined the masons and became a shriner.

LoungeMachine
11-28-2011, 07:34 PM
They have cool hats.....

Nitro Express
11-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Which is?

And I think I mentioned that yes, some people can die from not drinking. I have a distant friend that might be one of them, who had the liver of a 75 year old man in his 46 year old body and drinks nearly 30 beers a day...

I didn't know your were personal friends with Eddie Van Halen.

Seshmeister
11-29-2011, 01:52 PM
I've never had a clear answer on what defines an "alcoholic" by today's standards...

I'm sure geography plays a big role. I'd probably be considered DRY by Sesh's standards.....

Weeknights after work?.....usually a couple microbrews before dinner, followed by a nightcap or 2.

Weekends?.....at home, maybe go through a 12 pack of good beer, or a bottle of crown over the weekend.

Gigs?.....at least 3-4 beers or shots before the show, and probably the same afterwards....

The State of Washington FINALLY changed their draconian law that made it against the law for musicians to drink on stage, so that number is about to go up :)

I'd say I have at least 2 drinks at least 28 days out of the month. Alkie?

Technically it sounds like you are drinking more than the recommended amount for a male of 28 units where a medium strength beer is 2 units, glass of wine 1.5 and a bottle of vodka or whisky about 30.

That said there has been research showing up to 70 units people live as long as teetotallers.

As for Scotland, I always quote the story a heart surgeon pal told me where he had a guy into his clinic that day and asked him 'So Mr Smith, how many units of alcohol do you drink?'
'Oh about about 22 or 24', came the reply.
'Really?' said my friend, 'that's not bad'.
The patient thought for a minute and said 'I drink more on weekend nights right enough'...

Nickdfresh
11-29-2011, 06:16 PM

I'd say I only have at least 2 drinks at least 28 days out of the month. Pussy?

:guzzle: