PDA

View Full Version : FREE online courses

Sensible Shoes
11-28-2011, 11:19 AM
GCFLearnFree.org (http://www.gcflearnfree.org/)

Have to give a big shout-out to these folks, I needed a certification in Word2007 and the local career center gave me this web address. In addition to certifications in Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Office, they offer self tutorials in an amazing number of beginner computer areas and even one on Facebook. You may not be in the market for something this basic, but I bet you know somebody who could use it. I'm more than pleased.:clap:

clarathecarrot
11-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Take a letter......

chefcraig
11-28-2011, 11:47 AM
This is really great. Everyone here at work must take some upgrade classes required by the city, so this means one or two of us have to go to the seminar, learn the protocols and then come back and teach everyone else. The website you offered will now allow us all to get supplemental info without the one or two people becoming bogged down with questions while still attempting to do their normal duties.

Thank you ever so much, as this truly is a wonderful tool.

Sensible Shoes
11-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Glad it helped, I think it's amazing and more amazing that it's FREE.

and thank you for adding the link - which of course I should know how to do now that I've taken the course - uh oh

ThrillsNSpills
11-28-2011, 02:43 PM
They're running a special for the Facebook diploma where if you complete it you get a cup to catch your drool.

Sensible Shoes
11-28-2011, 02:48 PM
They're running a special for the Facebook diploma where if you complete it you get a cup to catch your drool.

How rude!

You take that back!

Kristy
11-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Oh geesh ~ whats next? Shelter for the homeless?

ThrillsNSpills
11-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Setting Up Your Facebook Profile

2: Set Up Your Account
3: Understanding Facebook Privacy
4: Set Your Privacy
5: Additional Privacy Settings
6: Type to your friends that your puppy vomited on Tuesday
7: Deactivate Your Account

there you passed. Please accept 2 free tickets to Jerry Springer.

Nitro Express
11-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Salt Lake City now requires landlords to take classes on being better landlords. I think to make things fair they should make tenants take classes on being better tenants. You know things like paying rent on time, not trashing the property, or letting the boyfriend from prison shack up and run his meth lab while the girl friend goes to her phone solicitation job.

Sensible Shoes
11-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Salt Lake City now requires landlords to take classes on being better landlords. I think to make things fair they should make tenants take classes on being better tenants. You know things like paying rent on time, not trashing the property, or letting the boyfriend from prison shack up and run his meth lab while the girl friend goes to her phone solicitation job.

You know, it helped me and I was trying to see if it could help others. The difference is that nobody makes you take any of this, and it takes initiative to do it. If it gets somebody a job, why is that a bad thing?

ThrillsNSpills
11-28-2011, 03:22 PM
The intent of my message was that if you need a course to learn to make a Facebook account, then maybe you're a cretin.

Nitro Express
11-28-2011, 03:22 PM
You know, it helped me and I was trying to see if it could help others. The difference is that nobody makes you take any of this, and it takes initiative to do it. If it gets somebody a job, why is that a bad thing?

I guess if they want to see a certification and the freebie does the trick and gets you a job then it's not a bad deal. I'm just amused at all the requirements and certifications that are required for such basic jobs anymore. Meanwhile it seems like the quality of the people who work in those jobs is worse than before they requires all the certifications and tests.

ThrillsNSpills
11-28-2011, 03:24 PM
not you personally, but in general. ;))

Sensible Shoes
11-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Maybe because people with 30 years of very specialized experience are so over qualified to get a menial job that they need anything that will give them a leg up on the competition.

ThrillsNSpills
11-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Salt Lake City now requires landlords to take classes on being better landlords.

Aren't the laws already slanted to protect the tenant? was there something bizarre that happened that led to this requirement?

Sensible Shoes
11-28-2011, 03:31 PM
The intent of my message was that if you need a course to learn to make a Facebook account, then maybe you're a cretin.

I haven't looked at the Facebook course but I would hope that it showed you some of the business applications that are possible on social media. Bands like Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin have pages and send out posts everyday with links to buy their merchandise. And you can look at stats and demographics to see who is looking at your site. If it's about making an account and using it strictly for social contact and gaming, yeah it's pretty useless, but there are still people out there so computer illiterate they really need that or a basic Windows course.

Sensible Shoes
11-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Oh and BTW, Hitch and Von Halen are both on Facebook, to say nothing of at least 3 other people on the Army who I shall not name lest they get embarrassed.

clarathecarrot
11-28-2011, 03:47 PM

Don't let them get you down, shoes !!! you graduated and are more than qualified to perfom ....Now... Miss Shoes, how would you like a cup of coffee...fine...ok,,... well make mine black with two sugars...the coffee pot is in the break room.:bigwink:
:behindsofa:

ThrillsNSpills
11-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Oh and BTW, Hitch and Von Halen are both on Facebook, to say nothing of at least 3 other people on the Army who I shall not name lest they get embarrassed.

hello irrelevant statement

Nitro Express
11-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Maybe because people with 30 years of very specialized experience are so over qualified to get a menial job that they need anything that will give them a leg up on the competition.

LOL! No shit. I was talking to a guy who's a bartender in New York City and everyone at the establishment who tends bar has a master's degree except for the guy who owns the place who is a college dropout. The whole college thing was based on pick something, graduate with a good GPA and that will get you a mid-management job of some kind. Most people got jobs in areas that their degree didn't even apply it just got you into the club. Then if you wanted to make more money you got a masters degree and you usually got that while working for the company and they paid for it.

The whole thing is out of date now. It will be interesting to see what replaces it. It still will boil down to the brass tacks of how good you are at a specific skill set and how in demand it is.

Sensible Shoes
11-28-2011, 03:53 PM
hello irrelevant statement

Bite me.

Nitro Express
11-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Aren't the laws already slanted to protect the tenant? was there something bizarre that happened that led to this requirement?

That's why I avoided residential real estate like the plague and went into commercial real estate. Getting someone evicted in the winter time is almost impossible meanwhile you pay the mortgage, the property taxes, the upkeep and who you are paying the taxes to allows people to squat on your property for free. The way to play it is to go into subsidized housing and have lots of units. It's call slum lording and if you sit on the top and have others deal with the in and out headaches it can be quite lucrative. In commercial real estate if they violate the lease they are usually history. Not as many tenant protection laws plus your property doesn't get as trashed and you don't have to deal with the disfunction of their home life and it's various dramas.

Guitar Shark
11-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Setting Up Your Facebook Profile

2: Set Up Your Account
3: Understanding Facebook Privacy
4: Set Your Privacy
5: Additional Privacy Settings
6: Type to your friends that your puppy vomited on Tuesday
7: Deactivate Your Account

there you passed. Please accept 2 free tickets to Jerry Springer.

You skipped step 1. No wonder this is free.

ThrillsNSpills
11-28-2011, 04:59 PM
You skipped step 1. No wonder this is free.

sorry, I was signing up for the mouthwash degree . I've been pouring Scope into my left ear.
so I get registered and step one is they're taking us to the zoo.

Sensible Shoes
11-28-2011, 05:17 PM
I give up. If I hadn't mentioned Facebook, would this all have been OK with you?

Sensible Shoes
11-28-2011, 11:40 PM
OK hopefully we have put the Facebook issue to bed. Tonight I started the Excel course and I'm seeing a rocky road ahead for Shoes. I readily admit that while I may be accomplished at liberal arts subjects (aka those that don't lead to paying jobs) I absolutely suck ad the most basic math. So writing formulas in this thing might as well be quantum physics. Anybody else look at numbers and have their brain turn to mush?

Nitro Express
11-29-2011, 02:12 AM
OK hopefully we have put the Facebook issue to bed. Tonight I started the Excel course and I'm seeing a rocky road ahead for Shoes. I readily admit that while I may be accomplished at liberal arts subjects (aka those that don't lead to paying jobs) I absolutely suck ad the most basic math. So writing formulas in this thing might as well be quantum physics. Anybody else look at numbers and have their brain turn to mush?

Excel didn't even exist when I was in college. It was Lotus 123 (before Microsoft stole it and renamed it Excel). Running everything on MS-DOS. The first version of Windows was a joke because it was such a memory hog everyone said fuck it and stayed with DOS for a long-time because it was reliable and worked. I was really cooking with gasoline in those days, I had an IBM AT and a OkiData printer. I did get an early introduction to the internet in college. It was before search engines and you needed to know the exact path to the server and files. It was pretty much useless. There was TCPIP in those days though. I mean all the basics were in place. The net still uses IP Addresses and those go back to the 1970's.

Students have it so easy now. They have no idea what a bitch it was to type a 50 page report on a manual Adler typewriter and get docked points for using white out. Then you had to go to the library to do research digging through card catalogs and wandering around the huge corridors of shelves trying to find the book you desperately needed hoping it was there and some asshole didn't have it checked out.

Sensible Shoes
11-29-2011, 02:15 AM
That's why Al Gore could not have invented the internet. He was still in short pants when it began.

Nitro Express
11-29-2011, 02:21 AM
The internet concept goes way back to the military wanting to design and web like network that would be impossible to take over because you could always reroute the data through another chain of nodes. Hindsight being 20/20 maybe the banking/corporate fascists would have gotten their way completely by now because they bought up all the mainstream media and the textbook companies. Now the government is trying to regulate the internet and censor it. I think they would have had us if the internet didn't exist so possibly it saved our ass. It will continue to be a valuable tool as we work together to rid the world of these fucks and put them in their proper place.

Sensible Shoes
11-29-2011, 02:53 AM
I bet they can do math.

Blaze
11-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks Shoes! I skimmed it and it seemed interesting, useful, and plainly informative. I'll definitely pass it along.

ThrillsNSpills
11-29-2011, 05:21 PM
I give up. If I hadn't mentioned Facebook, would this all have been OK with you?

I am all for learning and education. I was just having some fun at the prospect of having to get a degree to open a facebook account. That's it. I never said that everyone on FB is a goober.

chefcraig
11-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Just by way of follow-up, the site has been a wonderful aid here at work. Several folks have already taken advantage of the Word 2010 tutorial, and it has saved our staff a great deal of time and effort. Outstanding! :thumb: