PDA

View Full Version : 78 rpm Archive

Seshmeister
12-04-2011, 11:03 AM
http://cdbpdx.com/78records/

Username: New090908
Password: 654321

The following is a list titles recorded from my collection of 78 rpm records. All of them are linked to 128k MP3 files and will play what was recorded. No sound enhancement, just what was recorded. The original recorded files are in WAV format. Right now, there are over 5850 titles on this page linked to mp3's.

kwame k
12-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Holy shit!

A pretty impressive collection.......

Seshmeister
12-04-2011, 11:40 AM
I figured it wasn't stealing if you can't buy it.

kwame k
12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Sound's not too bad and the player works great.........

FORD
12-04-2011, 07:50 PM
My dad would love this website.....if he wasn't a technophobe with a shitty dial up connection.

Hardrock69
12-04-2011, 10:42 PM
The question I have is...how many of those are in the public domain? I bet most if not all of them are.

Fucking kickass! Thanks for the link!

Hardrock69
12-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Good lord! Enrico Caruso? Fucking hell! There is some cool fucking shit here!

Damn...King Oliver, Louis Armstrong...

What is strange is how late in the century they were still putting out 78s.....there is even a track listed by Booker T and The MGs...

Fuck...FATS WALLER?

Man this is a fucking amazing collection of music from the first half of the 20th-century!!!

Hardrock69
12-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Here is a great joke song by Spike Jones called "In Der Fuehrer's Face":

http://cdbpdx.com/78records/list/DERFUEHRERSFACE_SpikeJonesBLUEBIRDB-11586-A.mp3

ThrillsNSpills
12-05-2011, 11:08 AM
You can tell Les Paul loved his multitracking.

Nitro Express
12-05-2011, 11:14 AM
My dad would love this website.....if he wasn't a technophobe with a shitty dial up connection.

I inherited my dad's whole vinyl collection which was extensive. I have Tom Jones Live at the Flamingo still in the cellophane and the Tijuana Brass album with the chick all covered in whipped cream in very good condition.

I have a Seeburg Juke box in my basement. I bought an old building and it was in it. Kids love to watch it load the records and play them.

ThrillsNSpills
12-05-2011, 11:37 AM
You're right, they got thinner in the 70's. the ABC record albums I thought were the most consistent as far as sound quality, whether they were thin or thick. Seems the more information on each side, the less deep they can cut it, which resulted in less stability and more chance for skips. That makes sense to anyone who remembers the compilations with 20 songs per side.
The challenge I have with that is that I can remember albums that had fewer songs and didn't have the fidelity that it should have, so being able to cut them deeper was not always a guarantee that they'd sound better.

buddha was another great sounding label.
and Zappa's Barking Pumpkin

ThrillsNSpills
12-05-2011, 11:42 AM
thanks for the archive Sesh.

Was there an artist that sparked you to find it?

I wouldn't know which ones to click on to be honest.

Nitro Express
12-05-2011, 11:54 AM
You're right, they got thinner in the 70's. the ABC record albums I thought were the most consistent as far as sound quality, whether they were thin or thick. Seems the more information on each side, the less deep they can cut it, which resulted in less stability and more chance for skips. That makes sense to anyone who remembers the compilations with 20 songs per side.
The challenge I have with that is that I can remember albums that had fewer songs and didn't have the fidelity that it should have, so being able to cut them deeper was not always a guarantee that they'd sound better.

buddha was another great sounding label.
and Zappa's Barking Pumpkin

Around the late 70's the records you would buy would be so warped you had to adjust the counter weight on the turntable to keep the needle from bouncing and skipping. In fact, Mercury was particularly bad with not only LP's but their tapes were shit. You would buy a Rush album and the recording would be stellar but then the record company puts it on a shit pressing or tape. I hated that.

SHURE made needles that had a lot of spring to them and the turntables had counter weights to compensate for the warpage. Then I would throw one of my dad's LP's from the 50's and it would play smooth. The best ones were those he bought in the Soviet Union. They were built like a brick shit house. I swear they were almost a 1/8th on an inch thick. Great if you were into hearing the Cossack song or Tchaikovsky.