PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriend Changes Man Into Someone She's Not Interested In....

Hardrock69
12-09-2011, 02:48 PM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/girlfriend-changes-man-into-someone-shes-not-inter,1507/

Gotta love the Onion. Their pieces are made of a grain of truth, taken to extremes.

This is 10 years old, from 2001:

CHARLOTTE, NC–After two and a half years of subtle prodding and manipulation, Jill Nickles has finally molded boyfriend Brendan Eiler into the sort of man in whom she's not interested.

"When I first met Brendan, he was a guitarist for [local rock band] The Heavy Petters, and I couldn't take my eyes off him," said Nickles, 28. "I used to go to Tramp's every Thursday night just to watch him play. He wasn't even the most handsome guy in the world, but he just had this mystique, this air of danger about him. He was really exciting. It's too bad he's not like that anymore."

After several months of watching him from the crowd, Nickles finally introduced herself to Eiler after a show in September 1998. They soon began dating.

"Brendan was everything I wanted in a man," Nickles said. "He was unpredictable, smart, and passionate. I knew he wasn't perfect, but he was really fun to be around–which is more than I can say for him now."

Just weeks into the relationship, Nickles began to notice changes.

"It started pretty early," Nickles said. "Instead of being the wild man he'd been, more and more he'd just stay home like a lump, even on nights I told him it was okay if he went out."

Four months to the day after their first date, Nickles moved into Eiler's one-bedroom apartment. The move only accelerated the changes in him.

"Jill and I weren't living together long before she started getting irritated by how small the apartment was," Eiler said. "She was always complaining about how she didn't have space anymore. Then, she got this idea to get a bigger place, but I couldn't really afford it, since I was just barely scraping by with what I earned bartending at Mickey's. I really liked bartending, and it allowed me flexible hours for band practice and gigs. But, like Jill said, I was 25 now and shouldn't be living hand-to-mouth."

At Nickles' urging, Eiler quit his job at Mickey's and landed a position at SFR Solutions, a Charlotte-area web-design firm. The job paid nearly $4,000 a year more than bartending, enabling the couple to move into a larger apartment.

With a full-time job and a live-in girlfriend, Eiler's relationship with his bandmates soon began to deteriorate.

"They kept wanting to play more and more gigs, and I felt like if we wanted to land a record deal, what I needed to do was stay home and write some strong new material," Eiler said. "Even Jill had stopped going to see us because she said she was getting sick of hearing the same songs–and she was our number-one fan. Finally, they said I had to make more time for shows or they'd get a new guitarist. I was like, 'Screw you guys,' and left. Jill pointed out that the band wasn't really going anywhere anyway, and that I was better off in no band at all than one made up of a bunch of unambitious losers."

Upon quitting the band, Eiler's lifestyle changes accelerated. In September 2000, he cut his long mane of hair in an effort to land a promotion to associate design director at SFR Solutions. Nickles also convinced him to become a vegetarian and sell his customized leather jacket to put a down payment on a new Toyota Camry.

"When we first started dating, Jill loved how I looked in that jacket," Eiler said. "But then, a few months later, she said I was getting too old to wear something like that. Plus, it didn't really gibe with my new vegetarian beliefs. So, with Jill's full support, I decided it was time to put my old ways to rest."

Now a self-described homebody, Eiler said he finds his domestic lifestyle "really satisfying."

"If you told me two years ago that I'd be thinking of marriage, a house with a picket fence, and kids, I would have said you were nuts," Eiler said. "All I used to care about was hanging with my friends and having a good time. I guess it's true that the love of a good woman can really change you for the better."

Despite Nickles' success in sculpting Eiler into "husband material," she found her attraction for him beginning to wane.

"The reason I fell so hard for Brendan was that he was totally different from the guys I used to date," Nickles said. "He had beautiful long hair, and he was really smart and cynical. Now he reminds me of my boring ex-boyfriend Kevin, who's an accountant in Raleigh."

Even though Nickles' nights of going out to see The Heavy Petters are long over, she still enjoys going out on occasion.

"A couple of weeks ago, I was at the bar Brendan and I used to go to all the time," Nickles said. "I ran into Rob, the bassist for Brendan's old band and, I have to tell you, he looked really good. We hung out and talked for hours and just had a great time. Drinking and laughing with him really reminded me of the way it used to be with Brendan. I think I'm developing a little crush on Rob."

That is what a lot of women seem to want to do!

As soon as you become a "couple", she sets about trying to "civilize" her guy. Happened to me a long time ago with my (now) ex-fiancee.

She wanted a suit and tie guy so she could go out and show him off to her "professional" crowd. I was not that guy, and I refused to change, so we mutually agreed to end the relationship.
We are still friends though.

It is the same thing as a major record label signing a shit hot band that is unique with an original sound, that kicks ass, then they throw them in a studio with a "name" producer, who turns them into a homogenous piece of shit pop band....and then they drop the band, while wondering why the album does not sell.

Sensible Shoes
12-09-2011, 05:34 PM
I have never been able to change a man in my life. Stupid idea.

Hardrock69
12-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Lotta stupid women out there who think they can.

What is interesting is that even though it is an onion.com op-ed piece, and is meant as a joke, it has more truth in it than most of the stuff they publish.

Sensible Shoes
12-10-2011, 09:36 AM
I try to limit my influence to putting on a tie for a wedding, taking a shower, stuff like that.

Seshmeister
12-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Lotta stupid women out there who think they can.

There are plenty who manage it.

I've lost more drinking buddies to wives than motorcycles or cancer...

Jérôme Frenchise
12-10-2011, 12:02 PM
The girl didn't aim at changing the guy, apparently. It seems he changed into a "sleeper" by himself.

That's very classic. A cool dude's complete metamophorsis into a bore... Not always the girl's fault. v

It makes me think of my own life a little: I changed towns and workplaces for her, I do not regret it
at all but since then I haven't written much, which I used to do a lot, and I've made only a few new
friends on my own in that new town in 2 and a half years, except her own friends.
I've kept rehearsing and doing gigs with my band, though.
She once told me that she'd really like me to feel at home in her town - I'm really easy-going generally
speaking -, but I've rather failed.

Anyway. You'd better beware of how you evolve when you live with the one you love, and keep trying to
surprise her. And never consider things as definitive...

Hardrock69
12-12-2011, 04:13 AM
How many musicians have we all known in our lives who gave up music entirely due to the "wifey" or "girlfriend"? In fact, I have a friend right now who decided a few years ago to take some ProTools classes...with an eye to writing and recording some music....wifey said "No....". Even though he had been a musician for years, and was playing in a band when they met. All his guitars are in the attic now. He has a silver-face Fender Twin collecting dust in the spare bedroom.

You have to toe the line for the Gov'nor.

I don't change. Womens who think they can civilize me find out differently, lol.