PDA

View Full Version : Steve Perry Won't Stop Recording, but Touring Is Another Story

Jagermeister
01-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I thought he blew a testilce of something. I don't like his attitude.

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/steve-perry-won-t-stop-recording-but-touring-1005786152.story

Steve Perry knows "it's been a long time, for sure" -- since 1998, actually -- since the world's heard any new music from the former Journey frontman.

But after "navigating" Journey's new "Greatest Hits Vol. 2" and a vinyl reissue of his 1984 solo album "Street Talk," Perry tells Billboard.com he's planning to get to work in earnest in a studio he's just finishing in his southern California home just north of San Diego, which he says will have a control room and "a tracking room about the size of Motown."

"I'm finishing that room up and I've written a whole bunch of ideas and directions, all over the map, in the last two, three years," says Perry, who was with Journey from 1977-98. "So I plan on getting in the studio at some point and start trying to track these things and see where they go."

There's no formal timetable, however. "I don't want it to have pressure," Perry explains, "because I'll worry about it sucking, and then what am I gonna do? I've got all this pressure... that I just don't want on me, so I've allowed myself the ability to sketch and write as I go, and I'll do it at my own pace."

Perry adds that he'd also "love to" play live again but adds that, at 62, "I'm no spring chicken. The same arthritis that ate up my left hip that finally got replaced hasn't stopped there... And touring is a lot of work. I'm impressed when I see people like Eric Clapton out there. Gee whiz, Eric, give me a break! It's amazing. I know it's gotta hurt somewhere."

While the new music is in idea form, Perry happily traipsed through the past with the reissues. He says working on the Journey hits set -- a 17-song sequel to the 1988 "Greatest Hits" that's sold more than 25 million copies worldwide -- "was one of the most wonderful and emotional experiences I think I've had thus far, probably more emotional than putting together the original 'Greatest Hits.' At the time we threw that 'Greatest Hits' together because it was kind of like a given, but then to be able to see all the other great song and pick them and really listen to them a lot...and as a result of that realize what a great band we were, I just think the older I get the more I'm able to look back at the forest now, because I've certainly walked out of the trees."

Perry says his relationship with Journey these days is "civil through channels. We really don't have a lot to say to each other at this point. We have certainly for years now gone our separate ways and we're all living different lives. They've got their singer and they're working and they're happy and everybody's fine."

Would he consider a one-off reunion for something like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? "I don't know," Perry says. "I'm not a big fan of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It's just a personal thing, not an ego thing. I think that, honestly, Journey doesn't need to be in the Hall of Fame. With everything we accomplished...we've had our Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, you know? It's in the hearts of the people out there and their experiences and their memories of what we did together and how we all had the time of our lives with the music that we loved to perform and they loved to hear. I really don't want someone to qualify it any more than that."

Also don't expect to see Perry visit "American Idol," despite judge and onetime Journey bassist Randy Jackson's many invitations. "I have simply said that there's just a side of me that could not judge anybody singing," Perry explains. "It's not who I am. I don't want to be that person."

Meanwhile, Perry remains "truly stunned and grateful and amazed" at the enduring success of 1981's "Don't Stop Believin' " -- and reveals that he nearly kept the song from its iconic use in the 2007 series finale of "The Sopranos."

"Jon (Cain) and Neal (Schon), the other writers, had approved whatever they wanted to do, but I said, 'Well, I do care, and I want to know how it's used.' If somebody got whacked, I didn't want to do that with that song, " Perry recalls. The show's producers initially refused to tell him, but three days before it aired they relented, swearing the singer to secrecy -- though they didn't tell him about the famous cut to a silent black screen.

"They did tell me nobody was getting whacked, so I said yes," Perry says. "The cool thing to me is that Tony Soprano digs Journey. He thumbs through Heart and Tony Bennett...and you assume it's gotta be Tony Bennett. Then all of a sudden Journey starts, and that was very cool."

Va Beach VH Fan
01-05-2012, 10:03 AM
It's a 3-way tie IMO for "WORST LSD" between Perry, Axl and DeYoung.....

Jagermeister
01-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Everything he will do will sound like Journey unless his fucked up voice sounds different now. I saw the new band in Vegas a few years ago and it was kick ass. Didn't miss Perry at all. The new guy doesn't have any hip issues. :biggrin:

I'm sure he has a legion of fans that would like a new album of mushy ballads from him.

chefcraig
01-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Perry adds that he'd also "love to" play live again but adds that, at 62, "I'm no spring chicken. The same arthritis that ate up my left hip that finally got replaced hasn't stopped there...

"This isn't about your hip, motherfucker...tonight's about me." - Edward Van Halen, allegedly (and unlikely) quoting David Lee Roth at the MTV awards show debacle. The guitarist also added his now-infamous "You better be wearing a cup" playground taunt attempt at macho banter shortly thereafter. A mere 16 years later, the wounds might have healed within VH, so look for a Journey reunion sometime in 2028.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Yeah, my wife and I knew him back in his club days in the Philippines...

Jagermeister
01-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Yeah, my wife and I knew him back in his club days in the Philippines...

Did you think he sounded like Perry back then?

BITEYOASS
01-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Sounds like someone needs to get Steve Perry a WAAAMBULANCE!

Kristy
01-05-2012, 05:49 PM
I so want to blow him. Even if he does still look like a girl.

Terry
01-05-2012, 10:18 PM

Ah...Kristy...so deadpan.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Did you think he sounded like Perry back then?

They played everything back then...

I'm sure they played some Journey tunes as well, but you see, I was drunk for the entire decade of the '80's, so....

Jagermeister
01-06-2012, 03:30 PM
I was drunk for the entire decade of the '80's, so....

Yeah me to.:(

DONNIEP
01-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Stever Perry has got to be the most insecure, millions-selling singer on the planet. One of the common threads that runs through all of his interviews is his complete lack of self-confidence.

BITEYOASS
01-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Stever Perry has got to be the most insecure, millions-selling singer on the planet. One of the common threads that runs through all of his interviews is his complete lack of self-confidence.

Especially during "Behind The Music" in which he said that he had no control over the band's direction. What BS!

DONNIEP
01-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Especially during "Behind The Music" in which he said that he had no control over the band's direction. What BS!

Steve Perry is the living, breathing embodiment of "you don't know what you got til it's gone." I think he also said during Behind The Music that he never felt like part of the band. WTF???? And now he's whining about putting out new music saying "what if it sucks"??? Who fucking cares if it sucks? Even if it does, hell, at least half the soccer moms in America are going to buy it! This pussy was the leader of one of the biggest-selling bands of the 80s (not one of the best, but one of the biggest selling)..Hey Steve, you bitch, quit crying, hire the best studio musicians you can, cut a record and grow a pair! I can respect any artist who isn't satisfied with his body of work, or who feels like they have more to give, or who thinks they can do better next time. But I can't respect someone who has had it all and sits around scared like a little pussy, wondering if people will like what he puts out next. And I'm not even a Steve Perry fan... :gulp:

gbranton
01-13-2012, 04:21 AM
I saw the new band in Vegas a few years ago and it was kick ass. Didn't miss Perry at all. The new guy doesn't have any hip issues.

Yeah but when he came running at me I had the sudden urge to fix bayonets.

BITEYOASS
01-13-2012, 12:26 PM
In fact, didn't Steve have one of the original members of the group fired and their drummer as well? That's kind of a shitty move on his part. Especially what happened as a result--that soft album entitled "Raised On Radio".

ELVIS
01-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Wow, so whacked out Steve Perry has new musical ideas...:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
01-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Yeah me too.:(

:gulp:

Reminds me of the joke....

Q: What's worse than blowing Willie Nelson?

A: Hearing: "Im not Willie Nelson"

Terry
01-15-2012, 08:53 PM
I dunno...Steve Perry has nothing to prove far as I can see.

Those Journey songs are still being played to fucking death on classic radio, and even if Journey's current singer does a dead-on impression of Perry, it's still just that: an impression.

I mean, so what if Perry doesn't wanna go on the road now...what purpose would him going on the road these days serve, anyway? To prove that he can still sing those old tunes? Maybe he's not physically capable of doing that anymore...or maybe he just plain doesn't want to. Hard as it can be to imagine with the amount of them that do it, I suppose there are a few rock star musicians who would prefer not to be going out on the road in their sunset years pretending they're twenty years old, flogging memories for dollars.

Whatever. I have no dog in this hunt.

nitroDave23
01-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Ehh, I've got a copy of that '88 Greatest Hits album....

Separate Ways (got nice keyboard/guitar riffs),Anyway You Want It,and Don't Stop Believing(over played as hell,but I like it...) are the only 3 songs I care for.Rest is just mushy bullshit ballads/crap to me.
Are there any kick ass songs by this band? like am I overlooking anything "great" or am I correct to assume it's all a soft rock mush fest for chicks.

As far as Perry goes, well he's got a good voice, high range ect. if he can still deliver what his fans want then more power to him.I agree,he needs to grow a pair and put out some material,he's one of the most famous/recognizable vocalist's around.The new guy Arnel Penada (something like that, I don't know how to spell it) sounds pretty spot on to Steve,but I can see why fans frown upon them getting a younger clone, not much originality.

No offense meant to those who enjoy Journey,

I'm just not the biggest fan. (obviously,lol)

While I'm thinking of it,(sorry for getting of topic) This reminded me of a similar situation in Foreigner.Except, Lou Gramm was an excellent front man,and Foreigner had balls.Such a shame he got that brain tumor, and it's even worse that they're carrying on with a wannabe.Lou's almost fully recovered now (has gained some wait from the surgery and lost a bit of power) but he's starting to get his voice back,and he doesn't sound too bad.

I think they should reunite and give him another shot, he's one of my rock favorite vocalists and a couple of those early Foreigner albums kicked major ass.

guwapo_rocker
01-15-2012, 09:31 PM
In fact, didn't Steve have one of the original members of the group fired and their drummer as well?

Steve "machine gun" Smith. Great drummer. Always wondered what happened there.

BITEYOASS
01-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Steve "machine gun" Smith. Great drummer. Always wondered what happened there.

Yeah, him and Ross Valory got the pink slip in 1985.

BITEYOASS
01-15-2012, 10:25 PM
All I know is that because of Steve Perry, I always laugh when I walk past the scarf section of a clothing store. :biggrin:

gbranton
01-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Foreigner had balls.Such a shame he got that brain tumor, and it's even worse that they're carrying on with a wannabe.

I have to disagree with your opinion about Forgeiner. I like where they are right now and I really enjoyed their last album "Can't Slow Down". A lot of the album sounds like Agent Provacateur or Inside Information but portions of it also sound like Double Vision. The song Too Late sounds like it should be the song after Dirty White Boy. I think Kelly Hansen is a LOT more than a wannabe, I thought he was a great singer in his old band Hurricane and I have seen Forgiener with Lou and with Kelly and I will take Kelly Hansen as a singer and a front man every time.

BITEYOASS
01-17-2012, 11:14 PM
You can tell these two were happy to get the hell away from Stevie! http://www.mikedolbear.com/Images/A%20pic%20from%20the%20tour%20I%20did%20with%20Ron nie%20Montrose,%20Van%20Halen%20and%20Journey%20in %201978..jpg

nitroDave23
01-18-2012, 05:19 PM
I have to disagree with your opinion about Foreigner. I like where they are right now and I really enjoyed their last album "Can't Slow Down". A lot of the album sounds like Agent Provacateur or Inside Information but portions of it also sound like Double Vision. The song Too Late sounds like it should be the song after Dirty White Boy. I think Kelly Hansen is a LOT more than a wannabe, I thought he was a great singer in his old band Hurricane and I have seen Foreigner with Lou and with Kelly and I will take Kelly Hansen as a singer and a front man every time.

I'll give that song a play and see what I think,It's like Van Halen though,I mean they should have changed the band name or something.The Hagar years are a totally different band,as are Foreigner with Hansen.

Will re-listen online to the new album and reply back with my thoughts...