PDA

View Full Version : Official 1/5 NYC Cafe Wha? Review Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Va Beach VH Fan
01-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Welcome to the Official 1/5 NYC Cafe Wha? Meetup/Review thread. This thread to discuss anything leading up to the show, as well as all reviews.

Let's hear it !!

Well, won't be any "meetups". This won't be very big, but I know of two members going tonight, so here we go....

DLR Bridge
01-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Uhh...1/5?

Va Beach VH Fan
01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Just keeping you guys on your toes... ;)

VHscraps
01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
OK, I am a liar. I'm not really going. Damn, why can't I be there. I am in goddam England ...

But, leading up to the show ... I've been on my virtual armchair travels. Looking at the google maps interior of the club at VHND (http://www.vhnd.com/2012/01/05/tonight-van-halen-live/), I am insanely jealous of anyone getting to see the band there. Talk about close-up and personal ... and a look at the historical photo section on the Cafe Wha? website threw up this photo below, which suggests that Uncle Manny also owned the Cock 'n ' Bull, a bar / club next door to the Wha?

http://www.cafewha.com/uploads/images/photo_albums/History/outside%20wha.jpg

It's only Roth'n 'Roll ... but I love it.

chefcraig
01-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Closing until the show actually happens. You can't really review something that hasn't occurred, ya know?

POJO_Risin
01-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah...WARF's review really needs to be th first post anyways...we'll reboot it it tonight...

WARF
01-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know who's playing at this dive?

POJO_Risin
01-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Rumor has it that Ralph Saenz is set to showcase his new band...

Bat Palade...

GreenEyedMurder
01-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Set list:

You Really Got Me
Runnin' With The Devil
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Everybody Wants Some!!
She's The Woman <-- NEW SONG (I should have video up tonight or tomorrow - can't remember if I sent it to Va, since this was in the basement and I had no cell signal much of the time and just kept randomly trying to send stuff)
Dance The Night Away
Panama
Hot For Teacher
Ice Cream Man
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Encore:
Jump

They were tight, enthusiastic and just sounded great. The show lasted over an hour.

Roth & Roll
01-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Must have been surreal - is this the same "She's the Woman" that was on the 1977 demos, or is this totally different?

Thanks for keeping us updated, and looking forward to the video!

Va Beach VH Fan
01-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Just waiting for the two reviews now...

Full Bug
01-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Did they ever play She's The Women live, even in the club days? Besides the demo's I honestly cannot remember hearing them do it....

Polk High
01-05-2012, 10:54 PM
i thought she's the woman was on Zero (or whatever that disc was w/ simmons) Question is does MA get a songwriting credit?

GreenEyedMurder
01-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Must have been surreal - is this the same "She's the Woman" that was on the 1977 demos, or is this totally different?

Thanks for keeping us updated, and looking forward to the video!

It seems to be the same. I'll have to fire up iTunes (while I write my articles) and listen, but I think it is.
I am in the process of sending a video of almost the entire song to Va, but it's taking forever to upload it into the email (I'm also sending a bunch of pics, which are also taking a long time to upload). In the meantime, I made a *private* link on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4pJ8ZVxZus Please don't post this elsewhere or pass it around too much. Thanks!

Also, a bit of trivia: In the promo video for the tour (the one which shows the band in a new video, but plays clips of "1984" hits), the woman with the camera is Dana, their official photographer. I stood right next to her (directly in front of the stage) the entire time. Incredibly sweet, fun, great sense of humor. I met someone else who works for/with them, and I have to say that they surround themselves with awesome people.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-05-2012, 11:25 PM
First media review is up...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-new-york-concert-review/

VAN HALEN DEBUTS NEW SONG ‘SHE’S THE WOMAN’ AT INTIMATE NEW YORK CITY CONCERT
by: Matthew Wilkening 11 minutes ago

Ultimate Classic Rock

Van Halen re-emerged from a long hiatus with a short, sweaty and generally fantastic concert at a small club in New York City tonight (Jan. 5). They also premiered a brand-new and extremely catchy song, ‘She’s the Woman,’ halfway through their set.

Frontman David Lee Roth was charmingly nervous and excited throughout the show at the tiny Cafe Wha?, which used to be owned by his now 92-year-old Uncle Manny. After blistering set-opening performances of ‘You Really Got Me’ and ‘Runnin’ with the Devil,’ he launched into a winding, directionless story about being a paramedic in New York and sharing half a cupcake with some family on New Year’s Eve. This eventually prompted both Wolfgang and Eddie Van Halen to musically nudge him into the next song, ‘Somebody Get Me a Doctor.’ Which smoked.

After a typically but never boringly dynamic ‘Everybody Wants Some’ came the real moment of truth for the evening – Van Halen debuted a previously unreleased song. It was called ‘She’s the Woman,’ it apparently dates back to the band’s ’70s demos, and.. it was really good at the very least. We’ll reserve judgement because the proximity to our childhood heroes and the open bar and the excitement of the moment probably left us biased. But there’s no way on earth it sucked and while it was playing we could not possibly have been happier.

After that, things got even more up close and personal, with Roth mashing up classic rock heroes by performing a bit of ‘Stairway to Heaven’ as he imagined Jim Morrison would sing it during ‘Dance the Night Away,’ recounting his own personal history with the venue during the opening of ‘Ice Cream Man,’ and urging the crowd to pretend the band left and returned from the confined, tiny stage before the inevitable set closer ‘Jump.’

If you’re looking for someone to say this was anything less than the best place on the entire planet Earth to be this evening, you might wanna fish in some other pond.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-05-2012, 11:27 PM
NICE :baaa:

DlocRoth
01-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Fuck yeah......

qikgts
01-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Killer vid! Thanks GreenEyedMurder! You lucky lady, you!!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
01-05-2012, 11:33 PM
USA Today review...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/story/2012-01-05/van-halen-in-new-york/52400774/1

Reunited Van Halen really gets the crowd going
By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY Updated 9m ago

NEW YORK – An arena it wasn't. On Thursday night, music industry insiders and press crowded into the tiny, storied Greenwich Village club Cafe Wha? to watch a reunited Van Halen rock the joint. Frontman David Lee Roth explained that the venue had sentimental value, as his Uncle Manny had owned it.

"This is a temple," Roth said of the club where his uncle had once played host to a young singer/songwriter "named Bobby Zimmerman" (later known as Bob Dylan). "I'm more nervous about this gig than I would ever be at (Madison Square Garden)."

Roth didn't seem it, and neither did the musicians with whom he will tour this year: his former nemeses Eddie and Alex Van Halen— respectively on guitar and drums, for anyone who slept through the '80s — and Eddie's bassist son Wolfgang.

That lineup will kick off a North American tour Feb. 18, following the release of a new album, A Different Kind of Truth, on Feb. 7. The group introduced a new song from that collection, She's the Woman, a chugging, unabashedly carnal rocker with a classically wailing guitar solo.

The focus was on old favorites, though. Starting with their cover of The Kinks' You Really Got Me, the band launched into a string of fondly remembered hits, including Running With the Devil, Everybody Wants Some, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, Panama and Hot for Teacher.

"Welcome to Occupy Van Halen, ladies and gentlemen," bellowed Roth, who looked fit and boyish in a jaunty cap and slightly baggy overalls. Diamond Dave was as energetic, cheeky and verbose a showman as ever, at one point launching into a lengthy monologue about his work as an emergency medical technician in recent years. "Hold on one more second there, kiddo," Roth quipped when Wolfgang let loose a bass riff toward the end.

The youngest Van Halen proved a deft, muscular player, helping his Uncle Alex sustain a robust foundation for dad Eddie's fluid, frantic virtuosity. Despite the close, rather hot quarters, the audience remained rapt till the final number, Jump!, which Roth jokingly called their "fake encore." (The musicians had entered through the crowd, and there wasn't enough space for them to exit and re-emerge.)
Manny Roth, now 92, was in the house (which he sold in 1988), as his nephew proudly acknowledged. So were tennis champ and sometime musician John McEnroe and his rock-singer wife, Patty Smyth. Chatting before the show, McEnroe described himself as "a longtime fan and friend" of the group. "They're one of my favorite bands of all time, and you can quote me on that," he said.
"Ditto," said Smyth.

SunisinuS
01-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Green Eyed Murder...thanks from Dave and I.

scottydabodi
01-05-2012, 11:35 PM
BRILLIANT!!! :gulp:

Full Bug
01-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Holy Crap! Awesome video GEM! Cannot wait for your review!

Va Beach VH Fan
01-05-2012, 11:37 PM
It seems to be the same. I'll have to fire up iTunes (while I write my articles) and listen, but I think it is.
I am in the process of sending a video of almost the entire song to Va, but it's taking forever to upload it into the email (I'm also sending a bunch of pics, which are also taking a long time to upload). In the meantime, I made a *private* link on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4pJ8ZVxZus Please don't post this elsewhere or pass it around too much. Thanks!

Also, a bit of trivia: In the promo video for the tour (the one which shows the band in a new video, but plays clips of "1984" hits), the woman with the camera is Dana, their official photographer. I stood right next to her (directly in front of the stage) the entire time. Incredibly sweet, fun, great sense of humor. I met someone else who works for/with them, and I have to say that they surround themselves with awesome people.

Great job !!

SunisinuS
01-05-2012, 11:41 PM
And just one more to remember how we all stuck with it:

Marcus
01-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Wow, that video is killer. That song cooks, and based on that clip, Wolfie is really playing some serious bass.
Awesome.

rocknrolldork
01-05-2012, 11:42 PM

I can't take the smile off my face! Thank you so freaking much for the vid! Amazing! Only some of the ending licks have changed on that tune. Man that is bad ass! Loud as hell! Wolfgang plays great! Definitely knows where the 1 and the kick land. Ed sounds great. Dave was buried a bit but sounded solid. Al is almost always 100%. AWESOME! Thank you!

DlocRoth
01-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Aww man... the end of that vid is great.....

Ed sounds damn good.

Julius
01-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Wolfie's really thumping that bass with authority! Great improvement because I don't think he played a note on the last tour.

Unchainme
01-05-2012, 11:47 PM
...wow...

it's...like..the whole hagar era never existed...

fucking amazing.

THANKS GEM!!!!

basstar66
01-05-2012, 11:47 PM
dam been playin bass for many years , and holy shit wolf sounds fuckin killer .

SunisinuS
01-05-2012, 11:50 PM
GreenEyed Wolfie was eating that up!

Dan
01-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Thank You.:D

clarathecarrot
01-05-2012, 11:51 PM
GEM it's like I am there absolutely fooking grand!

That video, she's the woman..!!
Post Thread Site History!

Thaaaaaaaaaaaank You!

scottydabodi
01-05-2012, 11:53 PM
That video fucking rocks-sorry for stating the obvious!!! BOTTOMS UP!!!!:guzzle:

Roth & Roll
01-05-2012, 11:54 PM

THAT WAS AWESOME! Thanks for sharing such amazing footage - looks like you were literally 1 foot away from Dave. Unbelievable.
It's the same song from the '77 demos - but it has been reworked a bit.

The thing that really stood out for me was Wolf's bass playing - he's clearly driving that song and sounds light years ahead of where he was as a bassist in 2007.

This kid has been on the receiving end of a lot of harsh criticism since '07, and it looks like he's going to shut some mouths during this upcoming tour.
When was the last time bass was featured prominently on a VH song?

Thanks again, GreenEyedMurder - much appreciated!

gbranton
01-05-2012, 11:56 PM
VERY COOL video. Thanks GreenEyedMurder! I gotta say Wolfie's bass playing is pretty strong on this.

nitroDave23
01-05-2012, 11:57 PM
I have the largest Dave Grin I've ever had right now.So happy this song will be on the album, thank you GEM, glad you had a great night!

That clip alone has my approval of Wolfie, and I'm a Mike fan.

You can actually hear him!! AND IT'S GOOD!!!! These 4 years have been a blessing in disguise.

We now know there will be at least one great song on the album ;)

*of course there will be more to follow I'm sure*

I don't think I can sleep tonight.....:jaw:

liquid_strat
01-05-2012, 11:57 PM

Well, now there's proof that Wolfie is a damn fine bass player. If anyone remembers all the comments flying around during the last tour........ you get what I'm saying. Great vid. I hope there's more.

Romeo Delight
01-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Wolfie's really thumping that bass with authority! .

I think we can stop worrying about him. He was incredible

Julius
01-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Thank You.:D

Pants off?

fifth element
01-06-2012, 12:00 AM
GreenEyedMurder...I'm runninga bit behind...but THANK YOU...

Wonderful!!!!

nitroDave23
01-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Can't quit playing that short clip!

Wish Dave was audible,but I'll take what I can get,

Time to replay it once more..... :)

fifth element
and so sorry to all of the people w/ great posts in this thread...I seem to be out of thank you's...

Northern Girl
Twitter:

WolfVanHalen Wolfgang Van Halen

Thank you to everyone for a wonderful night in NYC! See you all very soon... ;)

kwame k
01-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Well, fellas........Wolfie can fucking play! No backing tracks there!!!!!!

Romeo Delight
01-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Look at Dave at the end of the vid. Such joy. He and the boys are really into this and we couldn't ask for a better scenario.

ashstralia
01-06-2012, 12:07 AM
thank you so much greeneyedmurder... awesome!!! wolfie kicks ass

Tiki-Tom
01-06-2012, 12:08 AM
WOW! Thanxs GreenEyedMurder!! Wolfie's Layin down one nasty dirty groove. :laser:Michael who?? .....

DONNIEP
01-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Pants definitely fucking off! Jesus Fucking Christ!

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 12:11 AM
I got a lot to post here...christ...it feels like I WAS AT THE DAMN SHOW, after talking to WARF, and watching greeneyed's vid...HOLY HELL!

gem...great video...the ROTH ARMY owes you!

Awesome stuff...my thoughts on the vid in a moment...

first, to a couple of things that WARF said...

DlocRoth
01-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Fuckin A....

Just listened back again....

Wolf and Al are LOCKED IN.

Incredible.

nitroDave23
01-06-2012, 12:13 AM
The vibe they have now is like night and day compared to '07-'08,They're about to kick some serious ass with this album........

Been a great day, had fun posting with you guys though- don't know why I didn't join sooner lol

I'm out for tonight,thanks for the great posts everyone :)

"and,for the record, fuck off Heater"

-Peace/Roth On Everyone have a good day

Diamondjimi
Kick fuckin ass!

Is that WARF's camera to the right? That shit's in H fuckin D !!!

DLR'sCock

That is awesome, and WOLF sounds great!!!

DiverDowninKy
01-06-2012, 12:17 AM
thanks GEM! and WOW!

sadaist
01-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Reading these reviews, seeing Greeneyeds video of the song, all the people here tonight, all that is happening....I'm dizzy. And so happy my eyes are watering up a bit. Permagrin all night. This has been so much fun. We will be talking about tonight for years to come.

diamondsgirl
01-06-2012, 12:20 AM
I am so completely overwhelmed!!:jaw:

They are friggin on fire!!

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 12:21 AM
WARF...by the way...just shot me a couple of texts...

1. His review, pics and vid will be coming tomorrow. He is OUT OF THE CLUB AND SOBER...he made it to his bus, which is heading home in about three minutes...he'll roll in after three...and get to work at 7 AM...so patience SIR WARF will be in the house tomorrow...

2. He kept coming back to Wolfgang...blazing about how good he was...and he kept saying...NO BACKING VOCALS...NO BACKING TRACKS...HE WAS AWESOME...

So...I've been going round and round about this show and the brilliance of it...how THEY'VE NEVER DONE SHIT LIKE THIS BEFORE...and I've got it...it's fucking clear as a fucking bell...

There have been so many bashings towards this band...AND FOLKS...IT'S BEEN DESERVED. They've fucked up on every stage since 1985...in so many ways. Think about all the criticisms...Dave can't sing anymore, Eddie can't play any more...Alex needs bionics because his body is breaking down...they don't get along...Wolfgang sucks...he doesn't belong...they aren't a tight band anymore...they don't pay attention to their fans...they have no fucking clue how to play the media anymore...

then comes Cafe Wha...after exclusive videos to the VHND and the Army...and then after to VHLinks with some nudging from Va...they throw bones to their fans first...

then this show...not a premiere event really...no security...bare bones...clean...and in the front row...TWO MEMBERS FROM THE ARMY...Jeff is there from VHND...James from Links...and there's Van fucking Halen...

...and you can hear it...THEY ARE TIGHT AS FUCK...they sounded great...tight...and it wasn't canned...they were up there having a fucking blast. Alex, finally ripping on a regular drum set...Eddie clearly feeling a song unlike nothing he's done since 85...Wolfy absolutely STOLE THE FUCKING SHOW...they had him geared up...and he was tearing it up...and Edward wasn't singing...that background pitch was fucking Wolfie...almost overtaking David...hmmmm...

and Dave...looked different...humble...happy...and so did fucking Eddie...like their path brought them to this point...and finally...THEY ARE FUCKING BACK!!!!

Seriously...I saw the show in 2007...and it was good...but at no point in 2007 did they sound like that video...holy fuck...

THEY'RE FUCKING BACK...IN BLAZING COLOR...THE TOASTMASTER GENERAL LEADING THE FUCKING CHARGE...

VAN HALEN IS FUCKING BACK BITCHES....

DEAR SAMMY...HAVE FUN ROLLING AROUND IN YOUR CHICKEN SHIT...YOUR FOOTNOTE IN VH LORE...JUST BECAME A FOOTNOTE TO A FOOTNOTE...

HEAVEN HELP US ALL!!!

FORD
01-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Well, I'd say that video lays to rest the rumors that Wolfie can't actually play bass.

GreenEyedMurder
01-06-2012, 12:22 AM
THAT WAS AWESOME! Thanks for sharing such amazing footage - looks like you were literally 1 foot away from Dave. Unbelievable.

The thing that really stood out for me was Wolf's bass playing - he's clearly driving that song and sounds light years ahead of where he was as a bassist in 2007.

This kid has been on the receiving end of a lot of harsh criticism since '07, and it looks like he's going to shut some mouths during this upcoming tour.

Yes, I was so close to Dave that I literally saw the fillings in the back of his mouth. He saw me, too -- he sang a little bit to me and at the end, grabbed my hand and held it. Even his sister (Alison) saw and stopped me on my way out to chat about it for a moment. :high5:

Wolfie really came into his own since the last tour. It has to be hard on him, being the boss's son and replacing a very popular (and incredibly skilled/talented) guy, but he really seemed to earn his place in the band now.

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Kick fuckin ass!

Is that WARF's camera to the right? That shit's in H fuckin D !!!

Text from SIR WARF:

"I'm the stud in hot pink uh huh huh blockin everyones view..."

So if you look in GEM's vid...you can see...he's a couple of people over with his phone...videoing the entire song as well...so more perspective coming tomorrow...

Holy fuck...WE ARE THE FUCKING INSIDERS TONIGHT!!!!

NO FUCKING SHIT....

Dr. Love
01-06-2012, 12:25 AM
what the!! they changed She's The Woman! fuckers!!

Well, hopefully the CD has some other great songs ... Put Out The Lights, Let's Get Rockin, etc ... if they do that, I'll be ok if they never put out another Van Halen album again.

GreenEyedMurder
01-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Since this is the ROTH Army site, here's a video of Dave chatting with the audience just before they tore into "Someone Get Me A Doctor"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnTr1ysXAKM

I'm all out of rep to give, but thank you SO MUCH for all of the kind comments.

DLR'sCock
01-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Well, I'd say that video lays to rest the rumors that Wolfie can't actually play bass.

The kid can play bass and SING as well!!!! Sounds great, I am stoked, you can FEEL the energy!!!!!!!

scottydabodi
DEAR SAMMY...HAVE FUN ROLLING AROUND IN YOUR CHICKEN SHIT...YOUR FOOTNOTE IN VH LORE...JUST BECAME A FOOTNOTE TO A FOOTNOTE...

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about. Genius.

DONNIEP
Where the FUCKING HELL are DLR's vocals???

Tiki-Tom
01-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Damn, the more I listen to this the more I dig the way the bottom end just digs in deep and drives the song home! As a bassist myself I'm really diggin' Wolfs chops here! I thought he did great in 07 but man, He's really steppin it up here! I got a real good feelin about the new disc now!!!

scottydabodi
01-06-2012, 12:29 AM
what the!! they changed She's The Woman! fuckers!!

Well, hopefully the CD has some other great songs ... Put Out The Lights, Let's Get Rockin, etc ... if they do that, I'll be ok if they never put out another Van Halen album again.

Yesh!!!!

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 12:30 AM
And let's all take a bit of an interlude to enjoy Dr. Love's sig...

Guitar Shark
01-06-2012, 12:30 AM

Holy shit. I love you.

That gave me goosebumps, seriously.

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Where the FUCKING HELL are DLR's vocals???

That did bother me a bit...but according to WARF...he was outstanding...I know there's bias there..but if you try and tune out the music...Roth's hitting everything...hard to fucking tune out that music though...

but that's the nature of clubs...especially a band with that kind of musical cred...

Dan
01-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Holy shit. I love you.

Share The Love GS.:D

Dr. Love
01-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Holy shit. I love you.

Lounge will be so jealous!!

Guitar Shark
01-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Another positive review from the Wall Street Journal...

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/01/05/van-halen-and-david-lee-roth-rock-greenwich-village/

DONNIEP
01-06-2012, 12:35 AM
I wasn't pissing or moaning - I just thought I was the only one mising Dave's vocals...Goddammit, real video and we get the backing band but not the Toastmaster General??

SunisinuS
01-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Nj All

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Since this is the ROTH Army site, here's a video of Dave chatting with the audience just before they tore into "Someone Get Me A Doctor"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnTr1ysXAKM

I'm all out of rep to give, but thank you SO MUCH for all of the kind comments.

That's hilarious...

Roth just starts going on like only Roth does...and he's freaking rolling about freakin' rolling grandmas and a half-a-cupcake...

SOMEBODY GET ME A DOCTOR!!!!

DLR'sCock
01-06-2012, 12:37 AM
GEM, thank you so much for posting this for us!!!!!

twonabomber
01-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Fuckin A....

Just listened back again....

Wolf and Al are LOCKED IN.

Incredible.

that's the advantage of having a studio in the backyard and an uncle who just happens to be the drummer in your dad's band. :D

DlocRoth
01-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Dave...looked different...humble...happy...and so did fucking Eddie...like their path brought them to this point...and finally...THEY ARE FUCKING BACK!!!!

He did look humble and happy..... but he also looked very....... COMFORTABLE.

This is a BAND again, people.

"Get ready" indeed...........

Unchainme
01-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Could Hagar pull off shit like this?

didn't think so.

Viva LA VAN HALEN! Roth's the fucking man.

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 12:44 AM

didn't think so.

Who the hell is that?

78/84 guy
That did bother me a bit...but according to WARF...he was outstanding...I know there's bias there..but if you try and tune out the music...Roth's hitting everything...hard to fucking tune out that music though...

but that's the nature of clubs...especially a band with that kind of musical cred...

Well the PA with the vocals is on the sides or above the stage so the only think you are going to hear is the raw music off the stage being that close !!

DlocRoth
that's the advantage of having a studio in the backyard and an uncle who just happens to be the drummer in your dad's band. :D

Yeah... Aint it grand?! Finally?

Almost 27 fucking years......

Feels like its all melting away....

Good times, folks...... DAMN good times......

DONNIEP
01-06-2012, 12:45 AM

didn't think so.

Of course Hagar could...IF he was a part of Van Fucking Halen!!!! But he wasn't so FUCK HIM! :gulp:

Combat Ready
01-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Wow. Sounded so fucking good. Thank you!

DlocRoth
01-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Who the hell is that?

A bridge drone troll, naturally.

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Congrats to the fucking Roth Army tonight...Va Beach...WARF...GeM...yeoman's work on the coverage...

Congrats to the fucking fans tonight...holy hell folks...I swear to god...never thought this day would come...not in a million fucking years...

"hold on a second junior..."

hahahahahaha...

and Eddie was laughing his ass off back there....

holy fuck...

kwame k
01-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Amazing stuff.......

Thanks so much for the early vids GEM:beers8:

Sir WARF......safe travels, bro!

78/84 guy
01-06-2012, 12:52 AM

That was alway bullshit !! The problem was he wasn't playing through bass amps in 07, he was using Ed's Peavy stuff. It sounded thin like a guitar tone. Who knows about the singing. I watch the boots from that tour and don't think they are recorded Mikey. They just arent good enough.

DONNIEP
01-06-2012, 12:59 AM
DONNIEP says fuck you to the trolls..this thread is all OURS! Jesus Fucking Christ! Good God Y'all, I got my cold beers right here...

Guitar Shark
01-06-2012, 12:59 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1001719.1325827763%21/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/image.jpg

Northern Girl
01-06-2012, 01:00 AM
Arriving for the show:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/news/local/Van-Halen-at-Cafe-Wha-/136784633

DONNIEP
01-06-2012, 01:01 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1001719.1325827763%21/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/image.jpg

That's it, right there...

mohican
01-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Great shot! Thanks for posting.

TAKIN WHISKEY
01-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Half a cupcake! Another REAL story from the incredible David Lee Roth.

Roth & Roll
01-06-2012, 01:04 AM
From the NY Daily News:

...The musical closeness of the foursome made itself apparent from the opening piece, their famed cover of The Kinks’ “You Really Got Me.” The chunkiness of Eddie’s riffs played ideally against Roth's gasping scats. All but one of the 11 songs came from the six albums Roth cut with the band. The sole new song, “She’s the Woman,” sounds like a worthy descendent of a garage-metal cut like “Ain’t Talkin' About Love.” It’s set to appear on “A Different Kind of Truth,” the first full disk by the band with Roth in 26 years (out Feb. 7).

The band's top bragging point — Eddie's loop-de-loop solos — reached a peak in “Ice Cream Man,” a wholly metallic rewrite of the blues. Often his leads formed commentaries on the melody, filled with snarky asides and randy innuendos. Roth matched him in bellows and yelps. Hopefully their boyish rapport can keep things light enough to allow the band to actually get through the coming tour without killing each other. Their show comes to Madison Square Garden Feb. 28 and March 1.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/van-halen-surprises-fans-gig-250-capacity-village-club-cafe-wha-article-1.1001727#ixzz1ieh7lqoY

rocknrolldork
01-06-2012, 01:05 AM

They did that to shut us all the fuck up about it. lol

Combat Ready
01-06-2012, 01:06 AM

Great picture. Healthy, Happy and Rocking.....VH 2012

Dan
01-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Holy Shit,John McEnroe Was There.:D

DONNIEP
01-06-2012, 01:17 AM
I have waited so long for this...

mohican
01-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Holy Shit,John McEnroe Was There.:D

So was Jimmy Fallon. Will vh appear on his show? He still has that show right?

Little Texan
01-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Arriving for the show:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/news/local/Van-Halen-at-Cafe-Wha-/136784633

Here it is embedded...

Dan
01-06-2012, 01:21 AM
So was Jimmy Fallon. Will vh appear on his show? He still has that show right?

Yes,Late Night With Jimmy Fallon,WEEKNIGHTS AT 12:35/11:35c.:D

DONNIEP
01-06-2012, 01:23 AM
OK, I've waited, and watched...Where is video with Dave singing?? Jesus Fucking Christ...It's not that hard to record his voice in the middle of a fucking Van Halen show! I wants me some Dave!!!

diamondsgirl
01-06-2012, 01:25 AM
I love Story Time with Dave. I want to sit on his lap and listen to him all night.

Guitar Shark
01-06-2012, 01:27 AM
OK, I've waited, and watched...Where is video with Dave singing?? Jesus Fucking Christ...It's not that hard to record his voice in the middle of a fucking Van Halen show! I wants me some Dave!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uVZ6TZNQV-Y

ThatArtGuy
01-06-2012, 01:28 AM
I need to see Panama just for the Jim Morrison singing Stairway bit. LOL

ThatArtGuy
01-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Well, that was fast. LOL

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 01:30 AM
From the Belfast Telegraph...the review is idiotic...but that's not what's important in this review...

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 01:30 AM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/reformed-van-halen-in-new-york-gig-16100025.html

Sorry...that's the review...

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 01:31 AM
What's important is the picture...and that fucking guy looking amazed next to Dave...

Yes folks...that's Sir WARF!!!!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00649/Showbiz_4-1_jpg_649083a.jpg

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Seriously...that shit needs a caption...

DONNIEP
01-06-2012, 01:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uVZ6TZNQV-Y

I gotta say thank YOU! I missed this...and I am so fuckin' hyped...

DlocRoth
01-06-2012, 01:34 AM

That crazy sumitch looks like Nick Swardson. Ha!

Seriously though.... Hes gotta frame that bitch. That pic has got to be autographed by Dave.......

Guitar Shark
01-06-2012, 01:39 AM
What's important is the picture...and that fucking guy looking amazed next to Dave...

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00649/Showbiz_4-1_jpg_649083a.jpg

LOL. That kicks ass.

qikgts
01-06-2012, 01:41 AM

The Army sent the right guy...

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Honestly Sharky...

If we were to paint a picture of WARF meeting Dave...

IT WOULD LOOK JUST LIKE THAT...

only WARF would have the Roth wig on...and be offering Dave a fantasy trade...

"uh...Dave...I'll trade you John Clay and Winnifred JOnes...for Aaron Rodgers...and no...I didn't just pick those two up off of waivers..."

Guitar Shark
01-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Honestly Sharky...

If we were to paint a picture of WARF meeting Dave...

IT WOULD LOOK JUST LIKE THAT...

only WARF would have the Roth wig on...and be offering Dave a fantasy trade...

"uh...Dave...I'll trade you John Clay and Winnifred JOnes...for Aaron Rodgers...and no...I didn't just pick those two up off of waivers..."

:lmao: :rofl:

PETE'S BROTHER
01-06-2012, 01:44 AM

r rrr rr rr oth..........ah ahhh aahhh rmy

Guitar Shark
01-06-2012, 01:45 AM
I just can't get over how PERFECT that picture is. WARF just embodies everything that is great about this place.

mewisemagic
01-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Warf is living the dream....great stuff for such a deserving long time fan!!

Roth & Roll
01-06-2012, 01:50 AM

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00649/Showbiz_2-1_jpg_649083a.jpg

He looks like he just jizzed all over Dave's leg :lmao:

Seriously, how surreal and priceless is that? He's been photographed with Dave and it's making the rounds overseas. That's insane, man.

mohican
01-06-2012, 01:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4AwR_PE1kM

diamondsgirl
01-06-2012, 01:51 AM
Glad to see Dave is drinking again. I was getting worried. :high5:

Redballjets88
01-06-2012, 01:53 AM
Wow!!!! just wow!! I really can not believe all of this. I became a VH fan in 2000 with no hope of a reunion and after this today I'm totally awestruck its like a dream come true....I havent posted here in ages upon ages and a lot of the times i was kind of a young stupid dickhole...but now is one of the few times that everyone in rotharmy can stand together in sheer utter agreement that Van Halen is BACK!!!!

DlocRoth
01-06-2012, 01:54 AM

Pistons poppin! Aint no stoppin NOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Redballjets88
01-06-2012, 01:55 AM
if anyone is gunna be in dallas for the 6/20 show let me know id love to see anyone!!

Panamark
01-06-2012, 01:57 AM
Many Thanks GEM !

Lots of focus on WARF tonight, but your efforts are making us
all smile like chesire cats.

I like the new/old song, just curious if Dave
was lost in the mix (as you could hear it there)
or if its just the end result of what technology you had on hand ?

Band sounds tight. Congrats on being there, and for
giving us some awesome material to help take us "there"
too..

I cant imagine the album being anything other than incredible
after seeing the bonding, musicianship and enthusiasm.
The boys are definately back in town !

ROTHisGOD
01-06-2012, 01:57 AM
Thanks GreenEyedMurder! Awesome vid! Gotta go watch it again! Thanks again!

mewisemagic
01-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Me and my son are gonna try to make it to the Dallas show...

Hardrock69
01-06-2012, 02:00 AM
WARF...by the way...just shot me a couple of texts...

1. His review, pics and vid will be coming tomorrow. He is OUT OF THE CLUB AND SOBER...he made it to his bus, which is heading home in about three minutes...he'll roll in after three...and get to work at 7 AM...so patience SIR WARF will be in the house tomorrow...

2. He kept coming back to Wolfgang...blazing about how good he was...and he kept saying...NO BACKING VOCALS...NO BACKING TRACKS...HE WAS AWESOME...

So...I've been going round and round about this show and the brilliance of it...how THEY'VE NEVER DONE SHIT LIKE THIS BEFORE...and I've got it...it's fucking clear as a fucking bell...

There have been so many bashings towards this band...AND FOLKS...IT'S BEEN DESERVED. They've fucked up on every stage since 1985...in so many ways. Think about all the criticisms...Dave can't sing anymore, Eddie can't play any more...Alex needs bionics because his body is breaking down...they don't get along...Wolfgang sucks...he doesn't belong...they aren't a tight band anymore...they don't pay attention to their fans...they have no fucking clue how to play the media anymore...

then comes Cafe Wha...after exclusive videos to the VHND and the Army...and then after to VHLinks with some nudging from Va...they throw bones to their fans first...

then this show...not a premiere event really...no security...bare bones...clean...and in the front row...TWO MEMBERS FROM THE ARMY...Jeff is there from VHND...James from Links...and there's Van fucking Halen...

...and you can hear it...THEY ARE TIGHT AS FUCK...they sounded great...tight...and it wasn't canned...they were up there having a fucking blast. Alex, finally ripping on a regular drum set...Eddie clearly feeling a song unlike nothing he's done since 85...Wolfy absolutely STOLE THE FUCKING SHOW...they had him geared up...and he was tearing it up...and Edward wasn't singing...that background pitch was fucking Wolfie...almost overtaking David...hmmmm...

and Dave...looked different...humble...happy...and so did fucking Eddie...like their path brought them to this point...and finally...THEY ARE FUCKING BACK!!!!

Seriously...I saw the show in 2007...and it was good...but at no point in 2007 did they sound like that video...holy fuck...

THEY'RE FUCKING BACK...IN BLAZING COLOR...THE TOASTMASTER GENERAL LEADING THE FUCKING CHARGE...

HEAVEN HELP US ALL!!!

Well, ,I have no more "thanks" to give, so I will do so MANUALLY.

Thanks to VAN FUCKING HALEN! for putting on such a killer show and making it an incredible event.

Thanks to DDE and the mysteriouys "REP" who has helped us out so much after our years and years of patient and agonized waiting.

Thanks to POJO, VA BEACH, SARGE, and every other Mod, Admin, Boss, Owner, etc. that has had anything to do with Roth Army over the years. It is because of you ALL that this evening even happened.

Thanks to WARF for TRULY representing Roth Army.

Thanks to Gem for her input, video, photos, reviews, and well, just for being there!

Well, thanks to just everybody involved in this. It is a legendary and truly historical moment for all of us. :thumb:

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 02:03 AM
Okay folks...for those of you wondering how the band is getting along...here's the AP search for VH photos...there are tons of pics from tonight's show (WARF's shot is an AP shot, and he's in a few more...you see as you page through)...

but the key is the band...LOOK AT THE FUCKING BAND IN EVERY SHOT...AND including Dave and Eddie...it's pretty fucking clear...

THEY MIGHT ACTUALLY LIKE EACH OTHER...

Not sure if it's good or bad...but...

and I wouldn't have said this 15 years ago...

I think it's a good thing...holy fuck...

http://www.apimages.com/Search.aspx?st=k&remem=x&kw=Van+Halen&intv=None&shgroup=-10&sh=10

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 02:05 AM
Some great shots of Ed and his boy...

seriously...I have a son...and can tell you...how that must feel for both of them...to be performing together...

I know some SHRED Edward (and I haven't called him that in years...by the way) for the Michael coup de tat...

but some of these pics make you just fucking get it...

Guitar Shark
01-06-2012, 02:09 AM
Okay folks...for those of you wondering how the band is getting along...here's the AP search for VH photos...there are tons of pics from tonight's show (WARF's shot is an AP shot, and he's in a few more...you see as you page through)...

but the key is the band...LOOK AT THE FUCKING BAND IN EVERY SHOT...AND including Dave and Eddie...it's pretty fucking clear...

http://www.apimages.com/Search.aspx?st=k&remem=x&kw=Van+Halen&intv=None&shgroup=-10&sh=10

Dude... WARF is in a shitload of those shots!! We have to buy one for him. A big one.

diamondsgirl
01-06-2012, 02:10 AM
I love the pic where WARF has his fist in the air. The caption SHOULD read: "Van Halen members Eddie Van Halen, WARF, and David Lee Roth perform at Cafe Wha? in New York, Thursday, Jan. 5, 2012. (AP Photo/Charles Sykes)"

DlocRoth
01-06-2012, 02:11 AM

Great, GREAT pics.......

It truly seems like a family again.... especially with Wolf and Ed........

PS.... WARF is in a shit ton of those shots.

Diggin on the back bend especially!! ;)

diamondsgirl
01-06-2012, 02:11 AM
Dude... WARF is in a shitload of those shots!! We have to buy one for him. A big one.

Great idea. One of those canvas poster sized deals.

Hardrock69
01-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Good lord....even a review in the Speakeasy section of the MOTHERFUCKING WALL STREET JOURNAL???????

THIS IS FUCKING INSANE!

THIS IS HOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE DONE! THIS IS EVERYTHING WE EVER HOPED FOR (well, getting mikey back would be the complete deal, but you know what I mean).

FUCKING ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!

Damn. I am just repeating myself now. How many ways are there to describe astonishingly kickass? :lol:

Nitro Express
01-06-2012, 02:19 AM

The bass drives the train on that song. Wolf found the funk and did a good job. Yeah I called it as I saw it the last tour. He was fat, sloppy, unethusiastic and out of the mix. Now he looks like he has lost some weight, works out, plays in time and has some groove. The whole band looks and sounds great!

Romeo Delight
01-06-2012, 02:22 AM
I love the pic where WARF has his fist in the air. The caption SHOULD read: "Van Halen members Eddie Van Halen, WARF, and David Lee Roth perform at Cafe Wha? in New York, Thursday, Jan. 5, 2012. (AP Photo/Charles Sykes)"

That could be the new Roth Army t-shirt!!

diamondsgirl
01-06-2012, 02:24 AM
That could be the new Roth Army t-shirt!!

I would pay money for that!!

Whorehey
01-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Hope I'm using this in the right context...

Dolemite

Nitro Express
01-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Good lord....even a review in the Speakeasy section of the MOTHERFUCKING WALL STREET JOURNAL???????

THIS IS FUCKING INSANE!

THIS IS HOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE DONE! THIS IS EVERYTHING WE EVER HOPED FOR (well, getting mikey back would be the complete deal, but you know what I mean).

Damn. I am just repeating myself now. How many ways are there to describe astonishingly kickass? :lol:

I bet Sammy Hagar is shitting a huge brick right now. He has ripped Roth every chance he got and he was hoping Ed would sober up and let his pathetic ass back in the band. Ok Sam, go down to Cabo and sell some more tacos why don't cha?

DlocRoth
01-06-2012, 02:26 AM
So as the reviews keep rolling in, pics of Dave and WARF(strangely that doesnt sound odd to me)keep showing up.....

Hide your sheep! WARF has gone viral!!!

And not in the way we all thought he would. :D

Youre the man, WARF!

diamondsgirl
01-06-2012, 02:26 AM

THIS IS FUCKING INSANE!

This was all Daves doing, janie had nothing to do with it. So glad he is not her client.

diamondsgirl
01-06-2012, 02:27 AM
Hope I'm using this in the right context...

Dolemite

close enough!! welcome!

Grant
01-06-2012, 02:28 AM
UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I gotta say that for past few years I've pretty much not given much of a shit with any prospects for a VH return to form, preferring to lurk around in Non-VH Forums (even that out-of-the-blue Aussie gig, that the incompetent promoters eventually stuffed up, didn't quite encourage me as much as it normally should've done - but maybe that was some kind of sign there?)

...BUT WOW, JUST WOW...WHAT A BREATH OF FRESH AIR THAT WAS!!!

Cheers to WARF, Pojo, GEM, and all the rest here at the ARMY!

Cheers again! :gulp: :)

twonabomber
01-06-2012, 02:31 AM
just yesterday, i posted this about WARF:

"you probably don't know this, but i'm pretty famous on the Internet."

and now he is.

unfuckingbelievable.

Nitro Express
01-06-2012, 02:31 AM
Only a real band can pull it off in such a small club. Many acts today can't do it without all the equipment, effects, and lighting. Sometimes you lose something on those big stages. It was cool to just see them lay it down the old fashioned way instead of looking like a Super Bowl halftime show.

Guitar Shark
01-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Hide your sheep! WARF has gone viral!!!

And not in the way we all thought he would. :D

:rofl:
Gold.

Nitro Express
01-06-2012, 02:35 AM
Glad to see Dave is drinking again. I was getting worried. :high5:

Just as long as he keeps it away from Ed and Al. I certainly don't want to see the wacked out whino Eddie ever again. That was some sad shit.

Little Texan
01-06-2012, 02:52 AM

People all over the world are going to be asking who that guy is that's blowing a kiss to DLR.

sadaist
01-06-2012, 03:01 AM
I love the pic where WARF has his fist in the air.

Enjoying & savoring it as only a RothArmy member would. Represented us well. So proud & happy for WARF and the entire community of this site. I'm glad I'm a small part of this. So fucking kick ass!

LoungeMachine
01-06-2012, 03:08 AM
TURN THE FOG OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ys1ej7HBQv0#!

ThatArtGuy
01-06-2012, 03:14 AM
UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I gotta say that for past few years I've pretty much not given much of a shit with any prospects for a VH return to form, preferring to lurk around in Non-VH Forums (even that out-of-the-blue Aussie gig, that the incompetent promoters eventually stuffed up, didn't quite encourage me as much as it normally should've done - but maybe that was some kind of sign there?)

GRANT!!!! Where the hell have you been?!? Awesome! Everyone is coming out of the woodwork (or I'm just blind).

Roth & Roll
01-06-2012, 03:28 AM
Some more video footage from tonight's show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTNProj9yM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Grant
01-06-2012, 03:40 AM
GRANT!!!! Where the hell have you been?!? Awesome! Everyone is coming out of the woodwork (or I'm just blind).

Hey mate, I'm always still here. :)

(And I'm sorry if I've confused you with the Grant who used to run the VH News Desk? - unfortunately, I'm not the same guy...)

Cheers! :gulp:

ZahZoo
01-06-2012, 03:45 AM
:popcorn:

Nice story.... OK where's Dave and what have you done with him..?

Damn it Bones..?

fryingdutchman
01-06-2012, 05:33 AM
This is absolutely mind-blowing.

They look and sound incredible...and the images and videos that have come out of last night are a feast for the eyes and ears.

Thanks Roth Army, VA Beach, Pojo, and the rest of the mods and webbies for all of your hard work. You guys have gone nuts with this place in the last 2 weeks and I can only imagine the sacrifices you had to make at home to make it all happen.

Special thanks to WARF and GreenEyedMurder for representing and for bringing back such incredible memories for all of us to share. You guys rock.

fryingdutchman
01-06-2012, 05:42 AM

I gotta believe that the explosion in the media was mostly Dave's doing.

I can't believe that Janie had her hand in this...at least not very much.

Hardrock69
01-06-2012, 05:48 AM
Fucking hell....just downloaded the crummiest possible quality from youtube of the tune "She's The Woman".....took a fucking hour to download 5.5Mb....But, while waiting for it to download, I also listened to the original version from Van Halen Zero.

I am fucking speechless.

I, state your name, do solemnly swear to stop ranting about wanting Mikey back in the band.
He made his bed....he is now committed to Chickenshit, so be it.

Wolfy is one badass motherfucking bassist.

I am now (for the first time, and forevermore) just fucking fine with the current lineup. Wolfy made a motherfucking believer out of me tonight....just on that one fucking song!
Fuck it. Firstly, I know for a fact that if he sucked, he would not be in the band to begin with. But how can he suck? His fucking DAD is EDWARD VAN HALEN, and his fucking Uncle is ALEX VAN HALEN! Christ! There is no band on earth that can be locked in on a genetic level like that, lol.

I am very much interested now in hearing this studio album.....as if I wasn't before, lol. I want to hear it even MORE now.

FUCK YES! :thumb:

philouze
01-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Can I get an AMEN ????

ashstralia
01-06-2012, 05:54 AM
i had an similar epiphany today, hr. how could he have that surname and not have musical talent?

well, tonight/today our time he certainly showed me. great bassplaying.

fryingdutchman
01-06-2012, 06:02 AM
Wolfy is one badass motherfucking bassist.

:thumb:

100% spot on.

It's time to give Wolfie the credit he is clearly due. Any question marks from 2007/08 were erased in one single hour last night in New York City.

He is clearly an excellent musician, with talent on various instruments. The evidence is now incontrovertible.

This is going to be our year, folks. Soak in every second you can...experience as much as possible. Travel to shows in other states if you have to, because moments like these are once in a lifetime.

ashstralia
01-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Can I get an AMEN ????

yes. yes you can. amen

Hardrock69
01-06-2012, 06:14 AM
A-Fucking-MEN! ;)

philouze
01-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Do you believe ??
I said
DO-YOU-BE-LIEVE ??
Lawd have mercy.
Hey, notice how these two names sound alike ? Hagar/Swaggart..

george
01-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Holy shit Wolf was rippin' up the bass.. powerful playing right there.

Hardrock69
01-06-2012, 06:21 AM
Lol.

I CAIN SEE DEE LIGHT! LAWZY LAWZY SAKES-A-MIGHTY ALIVE!

philouze
01-06-2012, 06:23 AM
Lol.

I CAIN SEE DEE LIGHT! LAWZY LAWZY SAKES-A-MIGHTY ALIVE!

FZ in When The Lie's So Big:

DO YOU BELIEVE IN THE INVISIBLE AAAAAAAAAAARMYYY ???

Dear Frank, we're not invisible anymore.. We miss you.

njbill
01-06-2012, 06:23 AM
That was alway bullshit !! The problem was he wasn't playing through bass amps in 07, he was using Ed's Peavy stuff. It sounded thin like a guitar tone. Who knows about the singing. I watch the boots from that tour and don't think they are recorded Mikey. They just arent good enough.

I remember reading an article where they admit to using canned backing vocals. If there is a bootleg of the 2nd Philadelphia show, in Romeo Delight, the background vocals come in a bar early after the "Feel My Heartbeat" part and there is noone near a microphone... .LOL I was there.

if6was9
01-06-2012, 07:31 AM
The other thread has been closed, so I'll ask the question again here:

Did they use keyboards in Jump?

riggodrill44
01-06-2012, 07:45 AM
I have six quick thoughts before I get my teenager off to school and head into the office...

1. It's a great day for real Van Halen fans. A day I thought would never come. And now that is has, I feel better. It's like being vindicated. Can anyone else relate to that?
2. Wolf has been practicing. I think that was the point of playing "She's the Woman". He is for real. The dude has some chops. You may be familiar with his lineage...
3. Ed is sharper than 2007/2008. He's been practicing, too. Maybe he thinks he has something to prove?
4. Obviously, it's going to be different than it was "back in the day" But you know it's still going to be great. Time changes things... but they can still be great.
5. You know... bringing Wolf into the band... "Van Halen" is a "brand" that can sell new music to a whole 'nother generation. I bet Wolf can shred on guitar. It's actually brilliant if you really think about it.
6. David Lee Roth is THE consummate front man. It's all about attitude and experience. You cannot possibly re-create his perspective. And it connects with this fan... still.

Roth On.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 07:49 AM
OK, time to post the reviews I've seen this morning...

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/01/05/van-halen-and-david-lee-roth-rock-greenwich-village/

Van Halen and David Lee Roth Rock Greenwich Village

To stoke the fire for the band’s new album “A Different Kind of Truth” and forthcoming tour, tonight Van Halen played for about 250 music-industry insiders and journalists packed elbow-to-elbow at the tiny Café Wha? in New York City’s Greenwich Village.

Featuring three original members – brother Eddie Van Halen and Alex Van Halen on guitar and drums, respectively; and vocalist David Lee Roth – and Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie’s son, on bass, the quartet ran through an 11-song set heavy on familiar hits and guitar pyrotechnics by Eddie Van Halen, who, at age 56, was at his dazzling best, blending flawless technique, off-the-moment invention and exploitation of raw volume.

Opening with two songs from its 1978 debut disk, the band found its footing early and by the fourth number, “Everybody Wants Some,” Alex and his nephew locked in, providing a supple platform for the guitarist to wail and squeal, hammering a blizzard of notes, though seemingly never to excess. Soon, old tunes, including “Hot for Teacher,” a hit some 28 years ago, roared in the small venue. (“Perfect,” said Roth to drummer Van Halen at its end.) The lone new song in the set, the rave-up “She’s the Woman” featured knotty unison playing by Eddie Van Halen and his son. The new album is due for release on February 7.

The evening was a homecoming of sorts for Roth, whose uncle, Manny Roth, ran the Café Wha? from the early ‘60s well into the ‘80s. (Now 92 years old, Manny Roth was in the audience.) Roth said he first entered the club when he was seven years old; now 57, he said, “It took me 50 years to get this gig.” Kicking off “Ice Cream Man,” he added, “I’m more nervous about this gig than I’ve been at the Garden,” referencing the arena some three miles north of the Village.

In brown overalls and a newsboy cap, Roth was in a chatty mood – at one point, Eddie Van Halen looked at his wristwatch during one of his lengthy tales. His good cheer carried over into the songs: During “Panama,” he mimicked Jim Morrison singing a rendition of “Stairway to Heaven.”

The venue, which is no more than 20 yards wide from the front of the stage to the back wall, sparked memories for the band, which formed 40 years ago in Pasadena. “We used to do gigs like this five nights a week for five years,” Roth said. Alex Van Halen played the opening percussion riff to “Dance the Night Away” on an overhead water pipe. Known for his hurdling about stage, Roth sang with the ceiling about a foot above his head – no room for leaps, not even during “Jump,” the show’s finale.

Beginning February 18 in Louisville, Kentucky, Van Halen will return to arenas in the U.S. and Canada for a lengthy tour, its first since 2008, that runs through June. Tickets go on sale beginning January 14. Kool & the Gang, who, like Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix and others played Café Wha? at the start of the start of their careers, will open for Van Halen on some dates.

“Tattoo,” the first single from the new album, will be released January 10.

What do you think? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

Jim Fusilli is the Journal’s rock and pop music critic. Email him at jfusilli@wsj.com or follow him on Twitter: @wsjrock.

philouze
01-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Totally agree with you, Riggo...:amen:

Jim Fusilli ?? Brother of John Tortellini ? Or cousin of Robert Penne Rigate ? Niiiice...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 07:50 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/van-halen-surprises-fans-gig-250-capacity-village-club-cafe-wha-article-1.1001727?localLinksEnabled=false

Van Halen surprises fans with gig in 250-capacity Village club Cafe Wha?
Frontman David Lee Roth's uncle once owned venue

BY JIM FARBER / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, January 6 2012, 12:37 AM

IT WAS A genuine “wha?” moment: The megametal band Van Halen played the matchbox-sized Cafe Wha? in the Village Thursday, a superrare move geared to pay off in PR what it lacked in scale.

As it turns out, David Lee Roth’s 92-year-old uncle, Manny, used to own the 250-capacity venue. (He sold it in 1988). But the club remains at the same address where stars like Bob Dylan played in its 1960s heyday.

Frontman Roth spent no small portion of his many, many monologues in the 75-minute set emphasizing his connection to the city, as if to temper the band’s essential California character. It didn’t hurt that the audience consisted entirely of area press. Roth talked about attending the club for the first time for his 7th birthday, about hanging out on Ludlow St. (which he called Ludlow Blvd.), and about several New Years Eves spent as an EMT volunteer in the Bronx.

That last bit went on so long, Eddie Van Halen thoughtfully pointed to his watch before it was over. The tensions between them haven’t always been dealt with as lightly. But last night found the band in good spirits, and the players in bracing synch. As on their last reunion tour, in 2008, this incarnation subs Eddie’s son Wolfgang for snubbed original bassist Michael Anthony.

The musical closeness of the foursome made itself apparent from the opening piece, their famed cover of The Kinks’ “You Really Got Me.” The chunkiness of Eddie’s riffs played ideally against Roth's gasping scats. All but one of the 11 songs came from the six albums Roth cut with the band. The sole new song, “She’s the Woman,” sounds like a worthy descendent of a garage-metal cut like “Ain’t Talkin' About Love.” It’s set to appear on “A Different Kind of Truth,” the first full disk by the band with Roth in 26 years (out Feb. 7).

The band's top bragging point — Eddie's loop-de-loop solos — reached a peak in “Ice Cream Man,” a wholly metallic rewrite of the blues. Often his leads formed commentaries on the melody, filled with snarky asides and randy innuendos. Roth matched him in bellows and yelps. Hopefully their boyish rapport can keep things light enough to allow the band to actually get through the coming tour without killing each other. Their show comes to Madison Square Garden Feb. 28 and March 1.

jfarber@nydailynews.com

SET LIST :

You Really Got Me

Running With The Devil

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Everybody Wants SOme

She's The Woman

Dance The Night Away

Panama

Hot For Teacher

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 07:51 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/regrouped-van-halen-performs-intimate-nyc-gig-announces-new-tour-and-album/2012/01/05/gIQAFiJxdP_story.html?tid=pm_national_pop

Regrouped Van Halen performs intimate NYC gig, announces new tour and album
By Associated Press, Published: January 5 | Updated: Friday, January 6, 12:52 AM

NEW YORK — They’ll be playing arenas when they tour next month, but on Thursday night, a regrouped Van Halen provided thrills in a tiny club where a VIP crowd stood elbow to elbow as the storied band played some of their greatest hits including “Jump” and “Panama.”

“Welcome to Occupy Van Halen, ladies and gentleman!” frontman David Lee Roth yelled just before the band launched into “You Really Got Me,” the first in an approximately hour-long, high energy set.

The show was at the famed Café Wha? in New York’s West Village — a club owned by Manny Roth, the uncle of Roth.

David Lee Roth noted some of the greats that played in the club — including Bob Dylan — and told the crowd, “I’m more nervous about this gig than I would ever be in the Garden,” referring to Madison Square Garden.

The band will soon be playing the Garden and other venues like it, as they kick off a nationwide tour next month. The Rock and Roll Hall of Famers start the tour in Louisville, Ky., on Feb. 16, and will tour through June, hitting cities like Boston, Atlanta and Chicago. They’ll also be promoting a new album: The group announced Wednesday that they’ll release “A Different Kind of Truth” on Feb. 7, the group’s first album with Roth since their celebrated album “1984,” released that same year.

Van Halen has gone through plenty of changes since then. Roth left the band for a solo career and was replaced with Sammy Hagar in a messy breakup; he later returned to the band as Hagar exited in a split that had just as much discord. There would be more turmoil as bassist Michael Anthony was replaced a few years ago with Wolfgang Van Halen, the son of guitar great Eddie Van Halen.

But it was all smiles on Wednesday, as father and son, along with Eddie’s brother and drummer Alex were all on hand as the reconstituted group played a warm-up of sorts before their nationwide tour, their first together in almost four years.

“This has been a really long time coming,” Roth told the audience.

The band hardly seemed rusty. Though his mic was weak, Roth’s voice wasn’t, as his signature screech was in top form, as was Eddie Van Halen’s scorching guitar play on songs like “Hot for Teacher” and “Dance the Night Away.”

Roth joked about the small size of the club: “The last time I stood on a stage this low, I had to get the car home by midnight.”

Later, he talked about how he used to wander through the club as a kid, dreaming of a chance to play on its stage.

“It took us 50 years to get this gig. It was easier to get in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame than to get this gig,” he said.

Roth’s uncle Manny, now 92, was in the audience, sitting next to John McEnroe, one of several luminaries in the crowd.

“It’s come full circle,” said a beaming David Lee Roth amid the audience’s cheers.

POJO_Risin
01-06-2012, 07:53 AM
UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Grant!!!!

Good to see you again! It's been too damn long!!!!!

Hope everything is going well for you!

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 07:53 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/07/arts/music/van-halen-at-cafe-wha-review.html?_r=1Van Halen Delivers Big Nostalgia on a Small Stage

By JAMES C. McKINLEY Jr.
Published: January 6, 2012

When the rock band Van Halen played in a cramped basement club in Greenwich Village on Thursday, dozens of fans clustered around the back door, listening to the slightly muffled strains of hard rocking songs like “Panama” and “Hot for Teacher,” like children eavesdropping on an adult conversation in the next room.

One of them, George D’Anna, who is 50, had a plastic shopping bag containing a program from one of the band’s early tours in the late 1970s and several Van Halen albums — the old-fashioned kind on vinyl. On the paper sleeve covering “Women and Children First” he had written down all the Van Halen concerts he had attended as a young man when he first got hooked on the group, beginning with a show at a Manhattan nightclub in May 1979. Eddie Van Halen’s dazzling guitar solos bewitched him — the superfast runs, bell-tone harmonics and almost animal-like sounds.

“I snuck in with a friend to see them at the Palladium,” he recalled. “They were different than any band. Eddie’s guitar was different.”

There was no way to sneak in to see Van Halen on Thursday. Metal barriers had been set up around the front door of “Café Wha?” on MacDougal Street, and a team of bouncers and promoters were checking the driver’s license of everyone in line to make sure they were on a carefully selected list of guests. Several police officers had been assigned by the local precinct to control whatever crowds developed. The guest list included every music writer in the city, scores of people from the music industry with miscellaneous friends in tow and a handful of celebrities, among them Jimmy Fallon and John McEnroe.

Van Halen is a famous heavy-metal quartet that can still fill arenas and stadiums with ease. Ostensibly, the reason the band did a concert in a club that seats perhaps 250 people was to announce a new tour of 45 cities and to promote the release of a fresh studio album later this year, the first they have recorded with the original front man, David Lee Roth, since 1984.

Although Mr. Roth’s rambling monologues on stage covered many topics, including Lady Gaga and working as a medic in the Bronx, he never actually made the announcement. Instead it was posted on the internet. The new album, “A Different Kind of Truth,” will be released on Feb. 7 by Interscope Records, and the tour begins in Louisville, Ky., the following week. Van Halen will play Madison Square Garden on Feb. 28 and March 1.

But Mr. Roth did expound on about his ulterior motive for wanting to rock out at “Café Wha?” a fabled club where many famous rockers and folk musicians played in the 1960’s and 1970’s. His uncle, Manny Roth, who is 92, opened the club in 1960, and laid the marble floor himself.

After the band had delivered a tight and joyous rendition of “Hot for Teacher,” David Lee Roth recounted how he had been brought to the club when he was only 7 and saw his uncle appeal to the audience to help a young folk singer named Bobby Zimmerman find a place to stay. His uncle beamed at him from a booth across from the stage.

“It took us 50 years to get this gig,” Mr. Roth said. “This is a temple. This is a very special place and I am more nervous about this gig than I would ever be at the Garden. There is no hiding up here. There are no fake vocals. There is no fake anything.”

There was some truth to those words. Removed from their stadium-sized pedestal and placed on the foot-high stage, Van Halen seemed to be reduced to its elements: the blues-rock power trio, the unwavering drum lines of Alex Van Halen, the soaring virtuosity of Eddie Van Halen’s guitar work, and Mr. Roth’s endearing and gutsy vocals. (The original bass player, Michael Anthony, has been replaced in this incarnation of the band by Wolfgang Van Halen, who is Eddie Van Halen’s son.) If you squinted and lost yourself in the music, it was possible to forget they were stars and imagine they were just another rock band, a bit long in the tooth perhaps, but extremely good at what they do.

And what they did pleased many in the crowd. That was no small feat since their diehard fans were outside in the cold and some of the best critics in the business were listening. They started with a roaring version of “You Really Got Me,” the Kinks cover that was one of their early successes, then played with gusto through several of their biggest hits: “Dancing the Night Away,” “Panama,” “Hot for Teacher,” and “Jump.” They also unveiled a new song from the recently recorded album, “She’s the Woman,” which features a fast hard-rock riff that echoes their early style.

For some in the audience, the songs triggered a nostalgic response. Jonathan Cohen, who books bands for the Jimmy Fallon show, could not stop dancing and singing the lyrics. “1984” was the first album he bought from himself, he said, and he recalled leaving the dinner table early to see the debut of the video for “Hot for Teacher. “It was the first time rock and roll was really connecting with me in a major way,” he said. “There really aren’t new bands that sound like this.”

Seated nearby, Kirk Douglas, the guitarist with the hip-hop and ne0-soul group The Roots, said he felt overcome with emotion during the set. Eddie Van Halen had been one of his guitar idols when he was learning to play, he said. “I can’t believe I just saw that,” he said. “He got me started on guitar. The way he made it sound like an organ.”

Outside, some fans grumbled it would have been nice if the band had done a second date in the club and let the hoi poloi buy tickets. “Even a lottery would have been better than this,” said one fan, who gave his name only as Tony. Others said they had called everyone they knew in an effort to get on the list, to no avail. Still, they lingered outside in the chill, hoping the band would let a few extra people in, then hung around the back door to hear what they could. “That’s what we do,” said Kimberly Barnhill, 21, an aspiring singer. “We wait in the cold weather for our band.”

There were some consolations for the patient. As he left the club, Mr. Roth signed Mr. D’Anna’s copy of “Women and Children First” with a silver marker. Mr. D’Anna had spotted Mr. Roth earlier in the evening and memorized the license number of his hired car, so he knew which car to stake out after the show. “Always memorize the license plate,” he said, smiling as he showed off his prize autograph.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 08:05 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/07/arts/music/van-halen-plays-mini-gig-at-cafe-wha-review.html

Arena Rock, Well Preserved and Condensed

By JON PARELES
Published: January 6, 2012

As press briefings go, it rocked. On Thursday night, Van Halen took to the stage of the venerable Cafe Wha? on MacDougal Street in Greenwich Village, capacity 250. “Last time I stood on a stage this low, we had to have the car back by midnight,” said the singer David Lee Roth. The objective was to prove Van Halen is alive and amicable for an arena tour that starts Feb. 18 in Louisville, Ky.,after the Feb. 7 release of a new album, “A Different Kind of Truth.” It’s to be Van Halen’s first full album with Mr. Roth as lead singer since the band fired him in 1985, although they have done previous reunion tours.

There was no formal announcement at Cafe Wha?, just a blast of Eddie Van Halen’s guitar, a rumble from Alex Van Halen’s drums, and a motormouthed Mr. Roth declaring, “It’s like climbing into a rocket in here, and it’s a rocket that comes from way, way back in our past all the way into what the future’s going to look like according to — Welcome to Occupy Van Halen.” .That introduced an hourlong set from a grinning band, reclaiming its oldies and introducing a new song announced by Mr. Roth as “She’s the Woman.”

Nearly all the audience was “the world’s press, the world’s media,” Mr. Roth said, along with record-company staff. Jimmy Fallon and Kirk Douglas, the Roots’ lead guitarist, were also spotted in the narrow, packed basement club.

From the Rolling Stones to Kanye West, a big act in a small room has proved a surefire attention-getter. Leaking the location so that fans cluster outside is part of the plan.

But there was another reason for choosing Cafe Wha? instead of a club or theater that could have accommodated more fans. In the club’s 1960s heyday, when Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix performed there, Cafe Wha? was owned by Manny Roth, David Lee’s uncle, who sold it in 1988. Now 92, Manny Roth beamed in the audience while David Lee Roth reminisced about his first visit to the club, in 1961. “It took us 50 years to get this gig,” the singer said. “It was easier getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.”

Van Halen didn’t play like an arena band concerned with lighting cues and special effects; for the night, it was a club act treating songs like jams. “We used to play gigs like this five nights a week, and we used to do five 45-minute sets a night,” Mr. Roth said during “Dance the Night Away.”

Van Halen is still one of the most limber bands in hard rock, with a higher center of gravity than most. Alex Van Halen places the beat as much on cymbal and tom-toms as on bass drum; the band rides its bass riffs, now played by Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie’s son. Meanwhile, Eddie Van Halen’s guitar is in constant, multiple-personality dialogue with itself; riffing power chords and then replying with leads that wriggle from the whammy bar, scamper in notes tapped on the fingerboard or screech from a scrape up a string.

The 11-song set started with the Kinks song “You Really Got Me,” stretched so that Mr. Roth and Eddie Van Halen could trade improvised vocal yowls and guitar squiggles. They were at it again in “Everybody Wants Some!!,” with intergalactic siren noises from the guitar and jungle cackles from Mr. Roth, who also updated the lyrics to talk about texting and e-mailing a racy photo. In “Panama,” Mr. Roth suddenly decided to do his impression of Jim Morrison singing “Stairway to Heaven,” then called for a drink. “I’ve gotta have a double, I got a long drive home,” he joked.

For its mini-set, Van Halen stuck to staples like “Runnin’ with the Devil,” “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love,” “Panama” and a final “Jump.” The new song fit right into the repertory, with a turbo-boogie riff, lusty lyrics and a cheerfully tangential guitar interlude.

Mr. Roth, 57, showed some wear in his high notes, and he wasn’t taking his shirt off for this gig; in fact, he was wearing overalls. But as the band socked its riffs and Eddie Van Halen filigreed them with virtuoso guitar, the songs were still testimonials to hyperactive teenage hormones and musicians who remember them. “I told you we was comin’ back,” Mr. Roth boasted during “Hot for Teacher,” adding, “Say you missed us.”

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 08:50 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/van-halen-play-blazing-show-at-tiny-nyc-club-20120106

Reunited Van Halen Play Blazing Show at Tiny NYC Club
The group debut new song 'She's The Woman,' originally recorded as a demo in 1976

By ANDY GREENE
January 6, 2012 7:30 AM ET

"It's like climbing into a rocket in here," David Lee Roth said he stepped onto the matchbox-sized stage at New York's 250-capacity Cafe Wha? for Van Halen's first concert in four years." "It's a rocket that comes from way back into the past into what the future's going to look like. Welcome to Occupy Van Halen, ladies and gentlemen!"

With those words Eddie Van Halen kicked into the opening notes of "You Really Got Me" and the crowd –composed almost entirety of journalists and music industry insiders – went absolutely bonkers. Over the next hour, the group played a stunningly tight set of songs from their 1978 debut LP all the way through David Lee Roth's swan song, 1984. It was a show guaranteed to make any crowd go into a collective state of hysteria, but the happiest man in the house could have been Roth himself. Dressed in beige overalls and a Brian Johnson-style newsboy hat, the singer had an ear-to-ear grin on his face all night, especially when he looked over at his 92-year-old uncle Manny – the founder of Cafe Wha? – who was seated in the corner. "Last time I stood on a stage this low I had to have the car back by midnight," Roth joked early in the night. "This is one of our best nights ever."

I stood a good five feet in front of Eddie Van Halen (dressed in ripped jeans and a black t-shirt) and the man played absolutely flawlessly. It was a beautiful sight. Before the start of a Van Halen tour you never know what Ed you're getting. The 2004 Van Hagar Ed was a drunken, shirtless mess. The 2007/08 reunion Ed was cleaned up and together, and that clearly is the case today. While Roth ordered drinks from the stage and took some shots, Ed restricted himself to bottled water and a couple of Red Bulls.

About half a second after the end of "You Really Got Me," Wolfgang Van Halen played the opening notes of "Running With The Devil." By that point that crazy reality that we were seeing Van Halen in a tiny, sweaty basement club began to kick in. These songs (not to mention the performers) were programmed to rock massive baskeball arenas. Seeing that all that energy crammed into a basement club was surreal. It's a shame so few fans outside of the press were able to witness it.

It was clear that Dave's voice isn't quite as strong as it was back in the day, but he more than compensated for that with incredible energy and charisma. It must be said, however, that original bassist Michael Anthony's backing vocals were sorely missed. They need them now more than ever, and as talented a bassist as Wolfgang clearly is (especially for a 20-year-old), it was a real lame move to push Anthony out of the band.

After just two songs, Dave began a long spoken interlude that clearly tested the patience of the Van Halen men. "I could see your naked, steaming eyes," Roth said. "I see a lot of familiar faces. A lot of folks from the media. A lot of folks from the record company. A lot of folks that we grew up with here. How many of you people know Lady Gaga? I was watching her on New Year's Eve with Mayor Bloomberg and it's kind of an interesting story . . ." This went on for a few long minutes, but then Dave screamed out,"Someone Get Me A Doctor!" and all was forgiven.

The return of Roth to the band means that the group's entire history with Sammy Hagar (not to mention Gary Cherone) has essentially been erased. That still leaves them with plenty of great material, and the setlist for the show seemed like the playlist for a classic rock radio station. They also played "Everybody Wants Some!!," "Dance The Night Away," "Hot For Teacher," "Ice Cream Man," "Panama," "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" and "Jump." The only song from their upcoming LP was "She's The Woman," but there's a good reason that it sounded so much like a classic Van Halen song: It's a demo from 1976 that's been circulating in the fan community for years. Parts of it were eventually used on "Mean Street." They have since fleshed out the track, but its inclusion on the new album seems to bolster Sammy Hagar's contention that parts of the disc are recycled old bits – not that it really matters. A good song is a good song and they should use the best material they have available to them.

Midway through a blazing "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" Roth explained to the crowd that it was impossible to leave the stage for an encore, so we were instructed to pretend that they left and came back. The finale of "Jump" didn't quite take off – partially due to the fact that they piped in keyboards were largely inaudible –but it hardly mattered. Van Halen had braved a crowd that seemingly contained every music journalist in the city, and proved to all of them they still have the goods. They have yet to grant a single interview, but it's clearly all part of a strategy to build buzz around the new disc and tour – though they didn't play their upcoming single "Tattoo."

A setlist taped next to Alex's drum kit said that "Beautiful Girls" and "Unchained" were supposed to wrap up the show, but after "Jump" the band was ushered out a back door and driven away. A new single and video are going to be released soon, and their tour is going on sale January 10th.

The last 14 years have been rough for Van Halen fans. The last three tours featured three different singers, and for most of that time the band was completely inactive. Let's hope this club show is the dawn of a better, more productive era for the band. It sure seems like that's the case.

GreenEyedMurder
01-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Many Thanks GEM !

Lots of focus on WARF tonight, but your efforts are making us
all smile like chesire cats.

I like the new/old song, just curious if Dave
was lost in the mix (as you could hear it there)
or if its just the end result of what technology you had on hand ?

Band sounds tight. Congrats on being there, and for
giving us some awesome material to help take us "there"
too..

I cant imagine the album being anything other than incredible
after seeing the bonding, musicianship and enthusiasm.
The boys are definately back in town !

My pleasure to share! I think the problem with not hearing Dave well on the video is that I was right up in front of him -- less than arm's length (I could literally see fillings in his mouth) -- and probably getting actual sound *from* him directly, instead of the sound system.

I am still stunned that I was able to be right in front of him at the stage. All I did was walk right up to that spot and stand there. Nobody asked me to move, and I was right next to their official photographer (WARF was on the other side of her, also having THE best spot in the place) for the entire show.

One highlight of the night was meeting WARF, Jeff from VHND and one of the guys from the Links, and enjoying the show with these great people! :high5:

BumBahDeeDah
01-06-2012, 09:08 AM
WOW.  Dave is running shit or they're really taking what he says seriously. No noise, then BOOM! Van Halen lands on the Village. He talked about it before he was even back in the band. Two things I'm tired of though,people questioning Wolfgang's ability and the word reunion. It's not a reunion, it's Van Halen. They declared that in the pressconference in 2007, and proved it when they released the picture with the Inerscope guys. As far as Wolfgang goes, check out videos from the last tour again.

I bet Dave gets his Carhartts from Dave's Army Navy on Avenue of the Americas. Is it still there? Now I gotta go look tonight!

GreenEyedMurder
01-06-2012, 09:10 AM
I bet Sammy Hagar is shitting a huge brick right now. He has ripped Roth every chance he got and he was hoping Ed would sober up and let his pathetic ass back in the band. Ok Sam, go down to Cabo and sell some more tacos why don't cha?

Nice to see VH doing so well, after Sammy spent *how long* taking cheap shots at them from afar, sounding like the girl whose boyfriend dumped her for the hotter chick and will just not get over it.

binnie
01-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Sammy will just turn interest in VH as a way of flogging Chickenshit.

diamondsgirl
01-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Andy from Rolling Stone is still bitching about Mike Anthony being pushed out of the band. WTF??

Mike Anthony was not pushed out of the band. There would be NO BAND if Ed did not want to tour WITH WOLFGANG. The sole purpose of reuniting with Roth was to tour with Wolf!! and guess what? he's on bass. It's Ed right as a person and a father to do whatever the fuck he wants with his kid. Why is this so hard to comprehend??? Get over it! please.

VAN HLN CA
01-06-2012, 09:39 AM
•••••Legends are Born overnight•••••

http://media.use.com/images/s_4/ff41dc926a8ce160e375.jpg (http://www.use.com/ff41dc926a8ce160e375)

VAN HLN CA
01-06-2012, 09:41 AM

http://media.use.com/images/s_4/ff41dc926a8ce160e375.jpg (http://www.use.com/ff41dc926a8ce160e375)

clarathecarrot
01-06-2012, 09:59 AM

It is hard to get in "The Middle" not only in a small club, but most of the sounds produced by bands come from right where each performer is so if you are filming stage left snagglepuss then the majority of the sound you are recording is whoevers instrument is on that side.

I am no engineer but I believe the only way to get in, "The Middle" is to be plugged into the sound board.

I know it is perhaps hard to let Dave be Dave he loves to talk and I dig that part of the shows. Dave personalizes the day.. the creative Ed Al and Wolf and the addition of DLR as a carnival barker is music to me ears.

Mutha on and what a show.

diamondsgirl
01-06-2012, 10:00 AM

so perfect!!

Full Bug
01-06-2012, 10:00 AM

HA! Awesome! :first:
Thanx for all the reviews VA, have you even slept yet? ;)

DLR'sCock
01-06-2012, 10:03 AM
There is a picture of WARF here in this Blabbermouth article as well.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167957

Full Bug
01-06-2012, 10:07 AM
This one would make a good caption picture, its like WARF is looking up to the heavens saying 'I'm here with VH! There is a god!" :biggrin:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/fullbug/AP120105125476.jpg

Full Bug
01-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Full size Dave / Sir WARF pic, anyone have a watermark remover? :)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/fullbug/AP120105125252.jpg

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 10:15 AM
HA! Awesome! :first:
Thanx for all the reviews VA, have you even slept yet? ;)

Oh yeah, I went to bed right after midnight....

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 10:16 AM
This one would make a good caption picture, its like WARF is looking up to the heavens saying 'I'm here with VH! There is a god!" :biggrin:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/fullbug/AP120105125476.jpg

That is the ULTIMATE Roth Army picture !!

Matt White
01-06-2012, 10:23 AM
That is the ULTIMATE Roth Army picture !!

That should be on the front page..............

WARF...you 'ol PIMP!!!

SALUTE brother...............

Jagermeister
01-06-2012, 10:31 AM

That's awesome! I love that somg although they changed the guitar in it. Probly because it was basically the same as mean streat.

GreenEyedMurder
01-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Full size Dave / Sir WARF pic, anyone have a watermark remover? :)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/fullbug/AP120105125252.jpg

There's a really big version of that pic in today's NY Daily News. I'm going to scan it and post it here, then if WARF wants it, I can send him the actual page in the mail.

chefcraig
Nothing, and I repeat nothing , can remove the smile from my face as I read this thread this morning. If a patron walks through the door, removes his pants and begins urinating on the floor, then somebody else in the hierarchy will have to deal with it. Me? I've currently snuck into in my boss's office, using the computer (the only one in the entire joint with speakers) and blasting the Gene Simmons recorded version of "She's The Woman", while taking the third of several more planned smoke breaks. On the way home, I will stop by the local liquor store and stock up with enough alcohol, smokes and beef jerky (that the 65 dollars remaining in my wallet since the holidays can purchase) to pretty much keep me in a liquified stupor until Tuesday.

Please folks, don't try this at home. Remember, I'm a professional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndQ6mhEEa1c&feature=related

Full Bug
That should be on the front page..............

I'm gonna work on removing the watermark....

Dave's PA Rental
01-06-2012, 10:37 AM
http://wzlx.radio.com/2012/01/06/review-van-halen-at-cafe-wha/

"Diamond Dave strutted out and started to howl – this is not the Dave of the 80′s – this is an older, wiser, more philosophical Dave, no longer doing his drum riser jumps of ninja kicks, just more moving around like a coked up lounge singer (which he may well be for all I know.) No longer in spandex, Dave wore beige overalls and a scali cap…but he was thrilled to be there!"

There is a 7 minute audio clip review posted here: http://wzlx.radio.com/2012/01/06/mike-mullaney-van-halen-review/ I tried to embed it but it didnt work.

Full Bug
01-06-2012, 10:39 AM
There's a really big version of that pic in today's NY Daily News. I'm going to scan it and post it here, then if WARF wants it, I can send him the actual page in the mail.
OK, thanx, I wont bother with the watermark remover thing then.....

silverfish
01-06-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm gonna work on removing the watermark....

Why not just buy the photo from the News (http://www.nydailynewspix.com/sales/home.php)?
edit - Oops, the News might not have it to sell since it's a AP photo.
Maybe you can get a copy from AP (http://www.ap.org/pages/product/photoservices.html)?

Etienne
01-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Is this posted before?

jhale667
01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Some great shots of Ed and his boy...

seriously...I have a son...and can tell you...how that must feel for both of them...to be performing together...

I know some SHRED Edward (and I haven't called him that in years...by the way) for the Michael coup de tat...

but some of these pics make you just fucking get it...

Excellent...I can't help but notice the VIBE they have going, even in the crappy cellphone footage and audio (and crappy beats the sh*t out of NOTHING, don't get me wrong!) - you can tell they're fully firing on all cylinders, and getting along great...improv'ing during tunes, the works...and that stage is about the same size a my last L.A. dive-bar cover gig...AMAZING, never thought I'd see them in that context under any circumstances...

Cheers to WARF and GEM!! :baaa:

Headly1984
01-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Man, I sure wish Dave didn't drink booze on stage / around Eddie - they are symbiotic as front men & monkey see monkey do ..

Sammy did ,but sam is a doink - We all have our own Cross to bear, but .. that is playing with fire imho

"The 2004 Van Hagar Ed was a drunken, shirtless mess. The 2007/08 reunion Ed was cleaned up and together, and that clearly is the case today. While Roth ordered drinks from the stage and took some shots, Ed restricted himself to bottled water and a couple of Red Bulls."

Jagermeister
01-06-2012, 10:52 AM
There is a picture of WARF here in this Blabbermouth article as well.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167957

Fuck yes! I new they would come here! And in the summer time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jhale667
01-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Man, I sure wish Dave didn't drink booze on stage / around Eddie - they are symbiotic as front men & monkey see monkey do ..

Sammy did ,but sam is a doink - We all have our own Cross to bear, but .. that is playing with fire imho

"The 2004 Van Hagar Ed was a drunken, shirtless mess. The 2007/08 reunion Ed was cleaned up and together, and that clearly is the case today. While Roth ordered drinks from the stage and took some shots, Ed restricted himself to bottled water and a couple of Red Bulls."

Ed's an adult, and was laughing about it... I'd be willing to bet he's not such a rabid-tee-totaler now that YOU can't drink around HIM...

GreenEyedMurder
01-06-2012, 11:01 AM
OK, thanx, I wont bother with the watermark remover thing then.....

Here's a pretty big scan (2090 x 1610), but I don't have the time to clean it up right now. (Mostly moire pattern in the enlarged version)
I don't want to embed it here, because I'm afraid it'll force horizontal scroll bars and everyone will hate me! :doh:

But it's here: http://oi44.tinypic.com/2rncw7k.jpg

Jagermeister
01-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Ed's an adult, and was laughing about it... I'd be willing to bet he's not such a rabid-tee-totaler now that YOU can't drink around HIM...

Man I just hope he keeps it together. Wolfie keep the old man in line please. At least untill after the may show in my town. :biggrin:

TJMKID
01-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Well to be fair ---- Cafe Wha? is a bar, so Dave was just adapting himself to the surroundings. :yo:

Sammy only drank onstage to sell the sheep more of his tequila and trying hard to outdo Jimmy Buffett.

Alcoholism is basically rooted in some kind of emotional pain ---- and in 2004, Eddie was still depressed over being divorced from Valerie, and working with a greedy shitbag like Hagar certainly didnt make himself feel better inside.

I honestly believe it when Eddie says Wolfie and Janie are keeping him on the straight and narrow ---- those are the two people he loves most in this world and he's got a lot to lose if he breaks his promise to them.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 11:08 AM
http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2012-01-06/van-halen-reunion-concert-cafe-wha

CONCERT REVIEW: Van Halen Dazzles During Intimate Reunion Concert In New York City
by Mark Graham

“Welcome to Occupy Van Halen!”

Back in November, word leaked out that Van Halen was planning on releasing a new album and embarking on a North American tour to support it. Classic rock fans were cautiously optimistic about the news, seeing as how prior reunions had ultimately fizzled out because of the legendarily testy relationship between guitarist Eddie Van Halen and loquacious frontman David Lee Roth. After a rumored reunion performance at the Grammy Nomination Concert Live!!! concert back in November failed to materialize, Van Halen fans were understandably nervous about the band’s current stability. However, during a 70-minute set at Manhattan’s tiny, 280 person capacity club Cafe Wha? tonight, the group looked happier to be in each other’s presence than they have since the early Eighties and, as a result, turned in a performance that David Lee Roth himself proclaimed as one of the best in the group’s storied history.

“Last time I stood on a stage this low, I had to have the car back by midnight!,” Roth stated midway through the group’s emotion-charged set tonight. For a band that began selling out arenas as soon as their debut album, Van Halen, was released by Warner Brothers in 1978, the excitement on each member of the band’s faces to be close enough to touch (and be touched) by audience members was palpable from the very first note of the band’s first song of the evening, “You Really Got Me.” The club, which was owned for many years by Roth’s currently 92 year-old uncle Manny Roth (who was in attendance tonight), was packed to capacity (and then some) by A-List Manhattanite rock fans like Jimmy Fallon, John McEnroe, Patti Smyth and Captain Kirk of The Roots, as well as virtually every prominent rock critic in the business (we spotted legendary Rolling Stone critic David Fricke, Fargo Rock City author Chuck Klosterman, SPIN‘s Caryn Ganz, and former Rolling Stone, Blender editor Joe Levy, and VH1 Classic’s That Metal Show host Eddie Trunk, just to name a few).

The band hit the stage around 20 minutes after 8 p.m. tonight, and from the moment they took the stage, they appeared to be having the time of their lives. Dave, Eddie, drummer Alex and bassist Wolfgang — original VH bassist Michael Anthony was either not asked or refused to rejoin the group for this tour — showed no signs of tension, even when Dave went on a meandering 4-minute rant about Lady Gaga, his experience as an EMT and New Year’s Eve cupcakes (!) only three songs into the show (see video below). In the past, Eddie and Alex would’ve exchanged angry glances at each other and rolled their eyes while Dave soaked up the spotlight, but none of that animosity was present tonight. Instead, the band members smiled, rolled with the punches and got on with the set.

“So,” you’re probably asking by this point, “HOW DID THEY ACTUALLY SOUND?” Well, from our vantage point — we stood roughly five feet away from Eddie where he stood stage left— they sounded TOTALLY tremendous. Classics like “Running With The Devil,” “Somebody Get Me A Doctor” and “Everybody Wants Some” were especially muscular, rattling the bones and eardrums of everyone in attendance, and their aural frequencies were perfectly pitched to tap into your brain’s nostalgia and pleasure centers. Eddie’s frenzied fretwork remains a thing to behold; the way he’s able to coax sonic textures from his single electric guitar puts most normal bands that feature both rhythm and lead guitars to shame. And while there’s no use pretending that David Lee Roth can hit the upper registers like he could thirtysome years ago, he innately understands his vocal range; all of his vocals tonight sounded rich, full and passionate in a way that bodes very well for the band’s impending world tour.
“I can feel this one all the way down to my Speedos, let’s take this bitch home!” About 45 minutes or so into Van Halen’s set, Dave made this exclamation. The band was far from being ready to leave the stage; quite the opposite, actually. Everyone in the group appeared to be in really good physical shape, particularly Dave. Dave was sporting Carhartt overalls (complete with two pens in his back pocket!) over a tight-fitting hoodie, and it was evident that he’s been hitting the gym and working on his cardio in preparation for the road. And Eddie, whose health issues in the past have been well documented, was in amazing spirits all night. As we mentioned, his fingers were as nimble as ever and he showed no signs of the back or hip issues that have plagued him since (and nearly ended his career in) the Nineties.
Ever the charismatic frontman, David Lee Roth delivered some classic one-liners tonight (one example, near the end of the band’s set: “The limos are being readied, the bathrobes are being prepared, the groupies are being undressed”) but, sadly, did not do any of his patented karate kicks. And he and Eddie clearly CONNECTED on a number of occasions, during fan favorites like “Ice Cream Man” and “Panama,” as well as the band’s new track they debuted tonight, “She’s A Woman.”

There’s an old saying that goes, “Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” Well, cynics would likely point to that phrase and tell you that old squabbles and issues are likely to once again raise their ugly heads and submarine this tour. However, we here at VH1 prefer to look at it from the glass half full perspective. Tonight at Cafe Wha?, we saw firsthand evidence of a band that seems to have rekindled the chemistry that first drew them together some 40 years ago, as well as having rediscovered the formula that led them to become one of history’s greatest rock n’ roll bands. Van Halen appears like an act that’s determined NOT to let history repeat itself, and instead seems committed to the future in a very big way.

SETLIST: “You Really Got Me” / “Running With The Devil” / “Somebody Get Me A Doctor” / “Everybody Wants Some” / “She’s A Woman” / “Dance The Night Away” / “Panama” / “Hot For Teacher” / “Ice Cream Man” / “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love”
ENCORE: “Jump”

clarathecarrot
01-06-2012, 11:09 AM
It is every mans chioce to drink or not, own it or let it own you.

Hey ? You cats ever wonder why nobody talks about Alex Van Halen...No clara why?

Because he is always laying it down, with extra effort as per described in his book of, what to do . But he makes it look like it is, effortless.

Headly1984
01-06-2012, 11:19 AM
to be fair - the reviewer was dead wrong about the Ed I witnessed on the 04' tour in Albany,NY - Ed was sober and en fuego - as I hope he is for Buffalo 2012

Sam was a doink - even screwed up Unchained on purpose, refused to sing other than the chorus & upset of Ed from the looks of it

TJMKID
01-06-2012, 11:23 AM
“The limos are being readied, the bathrobes are being prepared, the groupies are being undressed”

Sir Diamond Lee is back !!

:bigwink:

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 11:27 AM
GreenEyedMurder just gave me the go ahead to give the link to She's The Woman out on Twitter....

Angel
01-06-2012, 11:38 AM
THEY MIGHT ACTUALLY LIKE EACH OTHER......and there it is, "A Different Kind of Truth".

jhale667
01-06-2012, 11:42 AM
GreenEyedMurder just gave me the go ahead to give the link to She's The Woman out on Twitter....

There were people bitching about She's the Woman being "not new"... I tweeted something to the effect of "Not on the 6-pack? 'New' enough!"

Angel
01-06-2012, 11:45 AM
just yesterday, i posted this about WARF:

and now he is.

unfuckingbelievable.I was just thinking about that! :D I'm so freaking happy for that young man!!!!

Full Bug
01-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Here's a pretty big scan (2090 x 1610), but I don't have the time to clean it up right now. (Mostly moire pattern in the enlarged version)
I don't want to embed it here, because I'm afraid it'll force horizontal scroll bars and everyone will hate me! :doh:

But it's here: http://oi44.tinypic.com/2rncw7k.jpg
This is a little better.....

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/fullbug/WARF3.jpg

Nitro Express
01-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Well to be fair ---- Cafe Wha? is a bar, so Dave was just adapting himself to the surroundings. :yo:

Sammy only drank onstage to sell the sheep more of his tequila and trying hard to outdo Jimmy Buffett.

Alcoholism is basically rooted in some kind of emotional pain ---- and in 2004, Eddie was still depressed over being divorced from Valerie, and working with a greedy shitbag like Hagar certainly didnt make himself feel better inside.

I honestly believe it when Eddie says Wolfie and Janie are keeping him on the straight and narrow ---- those are the two people he loves most in this world and he's got a lot to lose if he breaks his promise to them.

My mom loved cigarettes but my dad refused to marry her until she quit. She hadn't smoked in decades but she still admitted she craved them and when she would get a whiff of some good smoke she wanted a bit of that herself. She told me she especially craved them when she was stressed.

I don't think alcohol is any different and I think what keeps people who crave it from drinking it is will power. I bet Ed still wants a drink but he has to stand up to himself and say no.

If it was me, I wouldn't drink in front the Van Halens just out of respect. Let's be honest, it was alcohol that ruined that band. Dave wouldn't be in the band now if Ed didn't sober up and maybe his relationship with his new wife is better than it was with Val. Something changed for the better.

Anyways, the band is back together and doing great. It would be nice to see Mike back too and see the whole original VH up there but Wolfgang looks like he will do just fine this tour. It wasn't the kid's fault that his dad was willing to boot a loyal original member of the band so the kid could have a gig.

Nitro Express
01-06-2012, 11:56 AM

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/fullbug/WARF2.jpg

The dude looks like he's going to spew puke all over Dave.

TJMKID
01-06-2012, 12:07 PM

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/fullbug/WARF3.jpg

WARF single-handedly found a way to represent millions of VH fans and RA soldiers with one genuine look of ecstasy!

rafa
01-06-2012, 12:10 PM
From Daylife
http://news.daylife.com/search/photos/1/grid?__site=daylife&q=van+halen

http://thumbnails44.imagebam.com/16834/9df67c168332788.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/9df67c168332788) http://thumbnails50.imagebam.com/16834/cdfad1168332790.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/cdfad1168332790) http://thumbnails50.imagebam.com/16834/941565168332792.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/941565168332792) http://thumbnails53.imagebam.com/16834/9bfc11168332793.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/9bfc11168332793) http://thumbnails54.imagebam.com/16834/ce376c168332794.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/ce376c168332794) http://thumbnails33.imagebam.com/16834/21a12b168332798.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/21a12b168332798) http://thumbnails64.imagebam.com/16834/ed8e30168332802.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/ed8e30168332802) http://thumbnails4.imagebam.com/16834/8da380168332803.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/8da380168332803) http://thumbnails49.imagebam.com/16834/b2c0de168332806.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/b2c0de168332806) http://thumbnails4.imagebam.com/16834/4596e4168332808.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/4596e4168332808) http://thumbnails33.imagebam.com/16834/c1f72b168332813.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/c1f72b168332813) http://thumbnails46.imagebam.com/16834/eb71f0168332821.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/eb71f0168332821) http://thumbnails44.imagebam.com/16834/6c504e168332839.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/6c504e168332839) http://thumbnails57.imagebam.com/16834/e62af6168332857.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/e62af6168332857) http://thumbnails64.imagebam.com/16834/07440d168332859.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/07440d168332859) http://thumbnails63.imagebam.com/16834/d11047168332862.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/d11047168332862) http://thumbnails63.imagebam.com/16834/2eee47168332868.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/2eee47168332868) http://thumbnails58.imagebam.com/16834/02a875168332872.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/02a875168332872) http://thumbnails44.imagebam.com/16834/b43a17168332880.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/b43a17168332880) http://thumbnails41.imagebam.com/16834/9bd68a168332884.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/9bd68a168332884)

jhale667
01-06-2012, 12:12 PM
“The limos are being readied, the bathrobes are being prepared, the groupies are being undressed” - New Rothism!!!

:guitar:

BumBahDeeDah
01-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Who says it was even alcohol? Knowing Dave, it might have been a setup with the waitress and the whole band knew, besides Eds just gotta deal. You know how many bartenders are sober?

WACF
01-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Fuckin' WARF.........love it man.

You represented.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 01:08 PM
From Wolf's side (and his speakers)....

Jagermeister
01-06-2012, 01:13 PM

First of all who sings that song? Then let him sing it.

Wolfie looks great (in a non gay way) and played great. He's playing that thing like a six string.

silverfish
01-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Not trying to shill for the AP but if you go to this link of VH image search (http://www.apimages.com/Search.aspx?st=k&remem=x&kw=van+halen&intv=None&shgroup=-10&sh=10002), here is the first result:

http://www.apimages.com/unsecured/SlideShow.ashx?role=preview&isdt=2012-01-06T08:13:45GMT&id=d87c5a1f9c428000030f6a706700473a&fmt=jpg&wm=2&cap=%3cfont%20color%3dred%3eVan%3c%2ffont%3e%20%3c font%20color%3dred%3eHalen%3c%2ffont%3e%20member%2 0David%20Lee%20Roth%20performs%20at%20Cafe%20Wha%3 f%20in%20New%20York%2c%20Thursday%2c%20Jan.%205%2c %202012.%20(AP%20Photo%2fCharles%20Sykes)&wmsk=

Sorta looks like WARF has his hand on Dave's shoulder! - tell me that ain't a great shot!

Roth & Roll
01-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Fuckin' WARF.........love it man.

You represented.

Freaking awesome! He's in so many pics that he looks like a 5th member of the band. LMAO

jhale667
01-06-2012, 01:18 PM

OK, it's official - he may not be MA, but NO ONE can say the kid can't BRING IT. :baaa:

(Well, you could, but you'd be lying...)

fourthcoming
01-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Damn......the Mighty Van Halen is firing on ALL cylinders. The audio might be a little deceiving but sounds like Ed's tone sounds alot more 1978-84ish than it did on the 2007-08 tour. Wolf was killing it!!! Al still has it and Dave will always have it.

JJtheVagPounder
01-06-2012, 01:28 PM
And let's all take a bit of an interlude to enjoy Dr. Love's sig...

Seriously. I keep on trying to read on and I get distracted. Who is this young lady? I may like to see if there is more to this....

jhale667
01-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Damn......the Mighty Van Halen is firing on ALL cylinders. The audio might be a little deceiving but sounds like Ed's tone sounds alot more 1978-84ish than it did on the 2007-08 tour. Wolf was killing it!!! Al still has it and Dave will always have it.

Said it in another thread - haven't heard confirmation, but it looks like he's playing throught the 50-watt version of the EVH 5150 III that debuted at NAMM last year, I've played through one, and THEY SOUND AMAZING (maybe better than the 100-watt!)... the 2nd "dirt" channel IS the CVH tone!! I want one!

ToraToraTora
01-06-2012, 01:52 PM

Absolutley STOKED for the Wolfman. He's had a lot of shit thrown at him, a lot of it justified, but he gives a big FUCK YOU performance here!

WARF
01-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen Van FUCKING Halen...

After a day long pilgrimage using more planes, trains, and automobiles than fucking Steve Martin I arrived at Cafe Wha? at approximately 6 PM. I envisioned on the final taxi ride what kind of media frenzy would ensue after my arrival. I pictured a red carpet rolled, news reporters everywhere. Maybe even Donald Trump in a tuxedo waiting in line. NONE of this was present. Just a couple doormen and a dozen of so onlookers who knew that in approximately two hours Van FUCKING Halen was gonna ignite the fucking Cafe Wha into a blazing inferno... of pure adrenaline pumping rock n' roll. I was in total awe of the situation. First off, this is my first time in NYC. Secondly, I am at a 250 capacity private Van Halen event about to have my head fucking ripped off... and third I am here to represent the Roth motherfucking army on MAX's birthday off all things.

After waiting in line with John fucking McEnroe talking about classic Van Halen and the significance of what is about to unravel. as well as talking with a bunch of snooty journalists who probably could care less about the band. In fact one reporter was pissed off in line complaining he had drive 3 hours here for only a 45 minute set. Anyways, the girl in front with clipboard with THE LIST approached me, I said my name... and I begin to enter the basement of Cafe Wha? and was greeted by some sort of talking head placed on the wall. My first reaction after checking my coat in was... this place fucking reeks of ROCK AND ROLL!!! I have never smelled anything like it... it had the scent of 50 years of blood, sweat, and tears from legendary performers of Bob Dylan to Jimi Hendrix and now Van Halen, with Roth playing in front of his 92 year old uncle... A place Roth later revealed he carved his name backstage as a 7 year old boy.

This is where I finally enter the club...

(Stay tuned)

1971Quarter
01-06-2012, 02:06 PM

HEAVEN HELP US ALL!!!

I'm all out of "THANKS" to all of the great posts today, so I had to repost this just to say "KICKASS POST"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ToraToraTora
01-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Check out WARF rockin like a MUTHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9QBxrzx1Tc&feature=autoplay&list=UUapdwDNReh7b1aR8k4d0IGw&lf=plcp&playnext=1

fourthcoming
01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Sweet......i'm glad it wasn't just my imagination or wishful thinking as far as Ed's tone goes. It's been far too long since the brown sound.

WARF
01-06-2012, 02:24 PM
The beautiful Brunette led me into this historic Landmark. She asked me, "Where would you like to sit?" My response still mesmerized by the fact I was inside Cafe Wha was, "I'll sit anywhere close to the stage!" At the exact moment I look inside at my surrounding. There was no seat that wasn't close... this place has got to be the smallest jam packed venue I have ever seen! The back of the building was literally 20 feet from the stage!!! All I could remember at this time was the BLARING BLUE LIGHTS on stage and the surrealism off it all. There stood in front of me was a microphone stand within arms length, and a few feet behind that was Alex Van Halens' ludwig drumkit with the motherfucking new Van Halen album cover logo on it. She finally sat me down, and I look over there is Jimmy Fucking Fallon sittin next to me. My mind is fucking blown away to fucking shit... here is Jimmy Fallon just as stunned and in awe just like me... I heard him whispering, "Is this really happening???" Now I had two fucking choices at this point... I could sit here and drink TOM COLLINS and shoot the shit with Saturday Night Live jerkoffs, or I could make way to the front of the stage, where nobody was standing and have Van Halen skullfuck my ears!

I chose the latter...

Now I am solid dead front center stage. I had two choices at this point. I could stay firm and be two inches away from band and have Dave sweat on me... or I could be a douchebag and go around and talk with everyone who already in there own journalist land soaking up the enviroment. I saw many people who I could have spoke with, Eddie Trunk was across the room...Patti Smyth etc etc. However, I was fucking shellshocked! I am standing an inch a fucking inch from the only band that ever mattered to me... and nobody was gonna stop me from rocking my fucking skull off...nobody.

I was then approached by GreenEyedMurder, and she was completed baffled as myself... here we are two fucking bleeding relentless Van Halen fans. Trying to jot down information about setlists and report back to the army. I was unable to make conversation. I told Greeneyedmurder can you take a pic of me touching David Lee Roths' microphone??? Then I look over and it's JEFF from VHND, and he was walking around like another zombie. I asked him did you reserve the seat in front of the stage that was literally touching the stage? He said nope just walked in and grabbed it. That was a strange occurance to me, we had tons of reserved tables... but the most important table was not taken! Jeff was a total class act. I told him that I appreciated his leadership in ressurecting the VHND, and how people and Van Halen fans around the world appreciate his site.

I continued to stand firm just to the right of the stage, like a hurricane victim waiting for the first gallon of water to arrive....

(stay tuned)

jhale667
01-06-2012, 02:37 PM
The beautiful Brunette led me into this historic Landmark. She asked me, "Where would you like to sit?" My response still mesmerized by the fact I was inside Cafe Wha was, "I'll sit anywhere close to the stage!" At the exact moment I look inside at my surrounding. There was no seat that wasn't close... this place has got to be the smallest jam packed venue I have ever seen! The back of the building was literally 20 feet from the stage!!! All I could remember at this time was the BLARING BLUE LIGHTS on stage and the surrealism off it all. There stood in front of me was a microphone stand within arms length, and a few feet behind that was Alex Van Halens' ludwig drumkit with the motherfucking new Van Halen album cover logo on it. She finally sat me down, and I look over there is Jimmy Fucking Fallon sittin next to me. My mind is fucking blown away to fucking shit... here is Jimmy Fallon just as stunned and in awe just like me... I heard him whispering, "Is this really happening???" Now I had two fucking choices at this point... I could sit here and drink TOM COLLINS and shoot the shit with Saturday Night Live jerkoffs, or I could make way to the front of the stage, where nobody was standing and have Van Halen skullfuck my ears!

I chose the latter...

Now I am solid dead front center stage. I had two choices at this point. I could stay firm and be two inches away from band and have Dave sweat on me... or I could be a douchebag and go around and talk with everyone who already in there own journalist land soaking up the enviroment. I saw many people who I could have spoke with, Eddie Trunk was across the room...Patti Smyth etc etc. However, I was fucking shellshocked! I am standing an inch a fucking inch from the only band that ever mattered to me... and nobody was gonna stop me from rocking my fucking skull off...nobody.

I was then approached by GreenEyedMurder, and she was completed baffled as myself... here we are two fucking bleeding relentless Van Halen fans. Trying to jot down information about setlists and report back to the army. I was unable to make conversation. I told Greeneyedmurder can you take a pic of me touching David Lee Roths' microphone??? Then I look over and it's JEFF from VHND, and he was walking around like another zombie. I asked him did you reserve the seat in front of the stage that was literally touching the stage? He said nope just walked in and grabbed it. That was a strange occurance to me, we had tons of reserved tables... but the most important table was not taken! Jeff was a total class act. I told him that I appreciated his leadership in ressurecting the VHND, and how people and Van Halen fans around the world appreciate his site.

I continued to stand firm just to the right of the stage, like a hurricane victim waiting for the first gallon of water to arrive....

(stay tuned)

Frickin' awesome, WARF!! :baaa:

WARF
01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
All of a sudden the blue misty light are cut off, and I look behind me there is Alex Van Halen directly, and I do mean directly... when I turned around I bumped onto him. He made a warm smile on his face, I gave him dabs and he entered the stage. My mind is fucking blown into a zillion pieces, who is that behind him? Oh... it's David Lee Roth I give him dabs too... now it's Eddie and Wolfgang behind them... at a total loss for words I think I screamed out THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME to Eds' face... him and Wolf literally bumped into me and entered the stage. I am not gonna give a song for song review, as I stated before my head was blown away. Dave is doin' his Roth faux dance or whatever fucking dance it was from the trailer vids huh uhuh uh uhuh. I am literally insane at this point as they begin wailing You really got me! Here's David Lee Roth inches from my face and the rest of the band within 6 feet from me, on a stage with ceilings so low, it almost touches the tip of Roths' hat. I begin to rock my ass off with METAL CLAWS for the left hand and a cell phone recording in the right hand. I look over there is JAMES FROM NEW YORK from vhlinks, just shaking his head in disbelief. He kept giving me high fives throughout the night, later telling me after the concert amongst other people that I was VAN HALENS' FIFTH MEMBER tonight. The band continued to go through the set flawlessly. The band looked HAPPY on stage. They were just having so much fun infront off 250 people. Enjoying what they do best playing their instruments. Roth was very nostalgic last night having played in his uncles club Manny Roth, who sat in the back watching the entire performance having a blast... beer in hand. Eddie van Halen looked GREAT and sounded fucking brilliant. His guitar tone was amazing, and he smiling the whole night. Long gone was the miserable musician savaged by alcohol abuse. Here was a revitalized virtuoso, looking healthy... hitting each chord brilliantly. There was a fire in Eds' eye not seen almost 30 years. Van Halen was back! Eddie was reborn!!!

(More to come!) :)

WARF
01-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Now let's go to the subject of Wolfgang Van Halen. A 20 year old kid getting backlash from some Van Halen fans because he replaced Michael Anthony. I will confess, I was skeptical at first about his arrival in the band band. Michael Anthony was never the greatest technical bass player ever, but his vocal background were the best in the business and his harmonies were as much as the Van Halen sound as having Roth in the band.

Wolfgang stole the fucking show tonight!

The kid couldn't have played any better. We locked eyes on many occasions as I was fist pumping... and let me tell you WOLFGANG was unfuckingbelievable so much funk and heart into his playing. It was almost stealing Eddie's thunder!! Wolfgang was not the nervous 16 year old trying to fill in Michael Anthony's footsteps... he was WOLFGANG VAN HALEN playing tight, focused music... and singing his ass off with NO CLICK TRACKS, nothing... WOLFGANG was singing.... and he sounded awesome.

After a few songs out of nowhere the band starts performing, "She's The Woman" and within the first couple seconds I screamed to Dave, "When was the last time you sang this live? The Starwood?!" He smiled over locking eyes with me, and he had no fucking choice.... just like the on fire song... I'M IN YO' FACE!!!! YO FACE!!!! uh uh uhuhuhu

People were all saying this was the new Van Halen song in the audience. These people are idiots for not recognizing this classic. I swear to god when this was performed between the smell of cafe Wha? and the surreal campy feel of the place. I could have sworn I was in like GAZZARI'S circa 1975 or the whiskey.... at some points I had to look around me to make sure there wasn't any 70's feathered haircuts or bell bottoms... because it felt like it was Van Halen in their club days before they were famous. She's the woman was the highlight for me, but like I said they rocked my head off the whole night.

The most intimate moment of the night was Dave bringin out his guitar and reminiscing over years gone by... about a young Bob Dylan playing inside this very room.... about how much this venue means to him, and that this was the greatest venue they ever played at. It was just Van Halen raw, live, and completely epic... and it will NEVER be duplicated.

(Stay tuned)

gbranton
01-06-2012, 03:38 PM
2. Wolf has been practicing. I think that was the point of playing "She's the Woman". He is for real. The dude has some chops. You may be familiar with his lineage....

I said the same thing last night in the "Roth Army will be represented....." thread. I think that's the whole reason why they played "Woman" and it worked brilliantly. I doubt it's even on the new album.

WARF
01-06-2012, 03:43 PM
How do you really review something of this magnitude? I am in a fucking room with John McEnroe fist pumping behind me... bangin his head like he lost a wimbleton match. All the celebs, reporters, packed into a place the size of a living room. Rockin to Van Halen. I look down at my notepad in my pocket... completely empty. I throw the fucking thing to the ground. No more fucking notes... no more reporting. I am just going bang my head til it explodes to this once in a lifetime experience! Alex Van Halen is destroying the drums on hot for teacher... I am gonna enjoy this! I was on a mission to become the PINK PEPTO BISMOL GIANT destroying everyones youtube videos, bangin my head and rockin my ass off!!! I have seen some of the vids, I am in everyone... singin at the top of my lungs. You can hear me more than Dave in some videos... but anyways.... The magic was there at Cafe Wha? , and I lived it. Just like somebody passing through the whiskey with $5 bucks in there hand. I got to see Van Halen inches aways, and I loved every second of it, and none of this would have been possible without Tony or the rest of the Roth. Army staff. Max would have been proud to see this, and I believe him Alinchainz, Blondgirl and everyone else who passed away was with me in spirit. I was there to represent the greatest Van Halen site ever... the Roth Army... period.

There are many more stories...
I shook hands with Wolfgang at the end... he actually went out of his way to shake my hand... it was awesome.
After the show rapped up, I was sitting there with a jack n' coke left on the table that was in David Lee Roth's hand onstage when he was sippin' on it....
Hell... I saved the straw and put it in my pocket hahaha
Great times.... great people... great music...

Van Halen is back better than ever. They are on fire.... lookout for the new album...
If it's indication the way they played at Cafe Wha? it's gonna be a classic incorporation into the six pack.

Thank you so much Roth Army!
I Love you guys!!!

Brian

Sensible Shoes
01-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Shoulda tasted that Jack & Coke and put to rest all the rumors that it was just iced tea in those bottles!

Seriously, Warf, thank you for being there for us. Last night was a RA live party right along with you - the board was updating so fast you couldn't keep up with it! Post more as you remember it!

Sensible Shoes
01-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Oh and where's the dog, dammit!!!!!!